Testing parachutes?

Kevlarburrito

I'm trying to figure out how to meet all the requirements of the parachute test for the Mk16 parachute. I reach all of the objectives DURING the flight, but once the parachute slows down the craft, and once the craft drops below 7500meters, it says the objectives have no longer been met. I've tried everything I can think of to make this test successful...even going so far as to deploying the parachute at exactly 490m/s at exactly 7500m alt. But nothing seems to be working...

Any ideas?:)

I wonder if you have to test them coming down too? I have had lots of fails trigging them going up.

You can test them when going up as soon as the test conditions are met. That is often easier then trying to meet conditions when going down. Using a liquid fueled rocket or jet engine will allow you to control reaching the test conditions and cut power as soon as the chute has been deployed through staging. While most tests involve staging, be sure to read the note just in case you need to run test instead.

I find the parachute contracts nearly impossible to do on the way down. The windows are often well off the speed/altitude profile of any reasonable reentry. If you really want to take those contracts your better off makeing the cheepest LF rocket you can, just an engien, tank and probe core with the parachute attached. Send it strait up to hit the window run the test and come back down for a high % recovery. planes are another option if thats your thing although you'll want an action group to instantly cut the chute or set it on a decoupler so its not interfering with your ability to fly.

I meet all the requirements and objectives, but then once I leave the window it says I still have not completed it. I just said the hell with it and declined it

i've had that same issue and same resolution, but it was for an engine. Now when i run a test i immediately look to the contract/message box is flashing

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new. Tested successfully the Engine but now with the mk16 chute I am lost. All requirements are green, I deploy the chute. Still all green. Slows down, speed goes brown, etc. Contract not fullfilled. I tested several ways, but nothing.

Is it possible that you need to be on the way DOWN?

Best regards,

Carsten

The requirements listed in the contract are more prerequisites for the test. In other words, those all have to be met before you stage the parachute. As far as I'm aware, all parachute tests have to be activated via the staging sequence, so it's a good idea to plan the craft accordingly. However, if the contract says you need to use the context menu's Run Test option, use that instead.

I can confirm that parachute contracts do, in fact, work correctly. You just need to make sure that all the conditions are being met when you deploy the parachutes, preferrably through the staging. When going up, when going down, or when going sideways (e.g. with a plane), all three work. Generally, the biggest issue is the odd contract where the required speed is far greater than terminal velocity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.