[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

So over at the Real Fuels and KSPI Extended threads, I've been trying to hunt down what's causing KSPI Extended engines to not scale thrust when propellants change, a bug that happens only when Real Fuels + Realism Overhaul is installed. Considering that KSPI Extended engines are labeled "non RO", I was not expecting RO to touch the engines at all, but somehow it breaks the engines. StoryMusgrave claims that RealismOverhaul "touch[es] ALL engines by changing them from ModuleEngines/FX to ModuleEnginesRF", and that this probably broke the engines.

Is this true? If so, is there some way to force RealismOverhaul to *completely* ignore certain engines?

Not that I can see right now. What wouldn't be a bad idea is having the 'RSSROConfig = False' flag prevent the change from ModuleEngines/FX to ModuleEnginesRF to avoid a conflict such as this.

What I see as the easiest way to resolve the issue is to only have ModuleEnginesRF be applied to engines actually changed by RO. Not doing everything as it is right now. Simple fix. Remove this file:

RealismOverhaul/RealPlume_Configs/000_Generic_Plumes_Catchall/000_ModuleEnginesFixer.cfg

I imagine a permanent fix will be forthcoming in new versions of RO.

What I see as the easiest way to resolve the issue is to only have ModuleEnginesRF be applied to engines actually changed by RO. Not doing everything as it is right now. Simple fix. Remove this file:

RealismOverhaul/RealPlume_Configs/000_Generic_Plumes_Catchall/000_ModuleEnginesFixer.cfg

I imagine a permanent fix will be forthcoming in new versions of RO.

Thanks, I'll try and see whether it works. By the way, what's the rationale for RO touching engines that it doesn't have configs for?

Hmm, thought I was only swapping things to ModuleEnignesRF if they had a ModuleEngineConfigs. Apparently not?

Apparently not. The mentioned file seems to attempt to put ModuleEnginesRF on everything to hack RealPlume on all engines. It broke KSPI horribly. After removing it, KSPI works perfectly and there doesn't seem to be anything else that has broken.

Is it possible to extract the Real Fuels configs from the RO folder to use them on a non-RO install ?

I'm searching for the configs in the zip, but can't seem to find them.

Edit: NVM, found the config in RO_DependentMods, still wonder if I can use them though ? And if yes, is there the same bug as with the Stockalike configs for Real Fuels where plumes disappear ?

Edited by Gaarst

The KW rocketry engines in RO need to have a direct atatchment system and not what they have now wich you have to use the atatchment tools to get them to atach.

I agree. I think every engine should be able to be surface attachable so that we don't need to rely on those thrust plate multi adapters. I do like them, but it would be nice if we could just get the same job done without them. It would be simpler.

jancando: As of quite a few versions of RO ago, all engines are made surface-attachable... >.>

Uace24: There still seems to be incompatibility between RO and KW Community Fixes. Nuke KW Community Fixes, for now.

Oh really? That's neat! ...I'm going to go stand in a corner now...

I have occasional crashes when transitioning screens, usually after returning to space center from orbit or ground, and exiting the VAB. I'm using almost all of the RO recommended mods and maybe half the RO suggested mods, and just about 3 mods not on the RO list like kolonisation, habitation, and a science mod. I've seen a couple posts about this in a thread search and their main suggestions were to reduce graphics quality, use the smallest resolution RSS textures, and to set onDemandLoadOnMissing to false in the RSSKopernicus text file. I've tried all of these and they don't seem to reduce the frequency of crashes. The error logs usually have some kind of message like 0 MB memory remaining. Anyone have other suggestions?

I'm thinking of going to 64 bit client but I read that many of the realism mods will automatically turn off because they are incompatible.

Edit: NVM I forgot about the suggestions on the very first page. I am going to try to force OpenGL and also Active Texture Management and see if that helps.

Edited by holedoor

Hello! I'm having problems where on vehicle loading, the craft spontaneously flys apart... any tips? I know it's a well known bug, but as soon as I load my craft (on an escape trajectory towards Jupiter) the whole thing starts shaking violently and destroys itself. Along with that, F3 confirms the craft "collided with the launchpad" I know I haven't provided many details, but this is getting hard. I'm afraid to use quicksaves because of this, so any ideas to fix spontaneous craft destruction on load? (nothing in F12 menu works either)

EDIT: It seems like relaunching the game 3-4 times fixes something!

Edited by JT2227

I have occasional crashes when transitioning screens, usually after returning to space center from orbit or ground, and exiting the VAB. I'm using almost all of the RO recommended mods and maybe half the RO suggested mods, and just about 3 mods not on the RO list like kolonisation, habitation, and a science mod. I've seen a couple posts about this in a thread search and their main suggestions were to reduce graphics quality, use the smallest resolution RSS textures, and to set onDemandLoadOnMissing to false in the RSSKopernicus text file. I've tried all of these and they don't seem to reduce the frequency of crashes. The error logs usually have some kind of message like 0 MB memory remaining. Anyone have other suggestions?

I'm thinking of going to 64 bit client but I read that many of the realism mods will automatically turn off because they are incompatible.

Edit: NVM I forgot about the suggestions on the very first page. I am going to try to force OpenGL and also Active Texture Management and see if that helps.

With that many mods, I'm surprise you can still make it into the game. OpenGL and ATM won't help much. Delete parts / mods that you don't need: fuel tanks for example since you have procedural parts. I recommend going 64 bit if you want to have a fun experience.

With that many mods, I'm surprise you can still make it into the game. OpenGL and ATM won't help much. Delete parts / mods that you don't need: fuel tanks for example since you have procedural parts. I recommend going 64 bit if you want to have a fun experience.

Yeah Active Texture Management didn't seem to help very much. I saw an improvement of RAM but once I started switching between vehicles and planets, the RAM usage went up fast. OpenGL seemed to help a lot, though. I have to play some more on low graphics to see if it's stable for a very long time. I maxed out the RSS textures and the graphics and game crashed, but not as quickly as before. I'll try OpenGL with medium graphics tomorrow and see what happens, and try to figure out which parts go with which files.

Another weird thing is that I noticed that a lot of parts like the MK1 cockpit and command pod start off glowing and with a olive green temperature bar at the runway or launchpad. Not sure if that's supposed to happen.

Edited by holedoor

Yeah Active Texture Management didn't seem to help very much. I saw an improvement of RAM but once I started switching between vehicles and planets, the RAM usage went up fast. OpenGL seemed to help a lot, though. I have to play some more on low graphics to see if it's stable for a very long time. I maxed out the RSS textures and the graphics and game crashed, but not as quickly as before. I'll try OpenGL with medium graphics tomorrow and see what happens, and try to figure out which parts go with which files.

Another weird thing is that I noticed that a lot of parts like the MK1 cockpit and command pod start off glowing and with a olive green temperature bar at the runway or launchpad. Not sure if that's supposed to happen.

Yeah - there's really not anything else you can do. Best option, in your case, is to follow what I did and dual boot into Ubuntu. That way you have native 64bit support and never (almost) have to worry about memory issues. I have more mods installed then you can count, run 8096RSS textures and have ZERO stability issues. Ubuntu is fantastically simple to install and the biggest hurdle, the proprietary nVidia graphics drivers, have gotten much, much easier between xOrgedgers and now Ubuntu starting an official nVidia proprietary drivers repository.

It really isn't that hard and it will change your KSP/RO/RSS life!

This all stands without mentioning all of the built in tools with UNIX systems that make everything about automating search and editing tools easy. No more constant opening and closing *.cfg files all day!

Edited by gruneisen

Even with those (which are still good options) you'll get crashes. There is a memory leak in the stock game which has yet to be fixed. The more mods you have, the more ram you use and the faster the leak causes you to crash. Only current solution is to use the 64bit Linux version of the game. Us windows users (and I think mac users) are stuck with the 32bit version for awhile longer. The good news is that when KSP 1.1 is released, we should get a 64bit windows client so even if the leak still isn't plugged, crashes will hopefully be fewer.

Yeah - there's really not anything else you can do. Best option, in your case, is to follow what I did and dual boot into Ubuntu. That way you have native 64bit support and never (almost) have to worry about memory issues. I have more mods installed then you can count, run 8096RSS textures and have ZERO stability issues. Ubuntu is fantastically simple to install and the biggest hurdle, the proprietary nVidia graphics drivers, have gotten much, much easier between xOrgedgers and now Ubuntu starting an official nVidia proprietary drivers repository.

Do the mods that turn themselves off in 64-bit work on 64-bit Linux? Or do you have to use that 64-bit mod fixer thing?

The glow-on-spawn is a stock bug that's fixed in 1.0.5.

OpenGL mode actually saves an incredible amount of RAM. That's because the Unity D3D9 client (for Windows) has a bug where textures, once uploaded to the GPU, aren't actually released from system RAM. Switching to OpenGL client fixes that bug, so you can play with like 5 part packs at 2.5GB usage.

Is the early Launch Abort System (Mercury) supposed to have a decoupler? In the description it says that it will detach on staging, but staging just fires it. I tried copying the moduleDecouple from one of the decouplers but it didnt show up in the VAB after that, but curiously it did in R&D, with the correct Decoupler module in the details. Is there a way to get a decoupler on there?

It would be really nice to have a working decoupler on it because adding a stack decoupler one just screws up the shape and it also has this nice space to fit stuff underneath it on top of the capsule, which you can't really use with a stack decoupler underneath. I am using RP-0.

Thx

Edited by Warp11