[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

I am having an issue getting RO to install using CKAN puffy planet. It downloads the required mods, then begins to list the mods it's installing, then just says it's done, and nothing is installed! I've tried rolling back to the last stable version of CKAN, but it wouldn't even boot up. I then rerolled to puffy planet and tried to install one-by-one, and for some reason cannot get FAR to install, is this a clue, or the same bug? How do I get it to work?

FYI, I am using a clean install, moved away from my steam install, with the CKAN install path updated to suit.

I was aso having trouble with ckan and RO. Felger reminded me that when ckan installs FAR it also installs the ih the included ships and tends to not delete the new foder when it is removed ("oldsph")Since it cannot overwrite anything when it goes to reinstall far it just stops. I have found that ckan expects a fresh install and its is absolutely crucial that you have a 100% fresh install (you cant get lazy and just manually replace gamedata and ships/saves folder ) One thing that fixed alot of ckan problems for me was to actually delete the registry entry with the default ksp directory (search for "ckan"" in regedit) and look for something with a path to ksp) and then retry with a fresh install too. After doing all of that It has worked perfectly every time.

But they deleted one useful feature - the ability to snap engines on any part of the fuel tank without using cubic octagonal struts

You can just use the thrust plate from Procedural Fairings. It makes engine clusters very easy to make.

Mixmix: The LR-79/89 should have all configs of that engine, from the 3/5 (758.7kN) through the RS-27 derived Atlas II engines. The sizing is to get the nozzle the appropriate size. Also, I'm pretty sure we added back radial attachment for most engines.

But they deleted one useful feature - the ability to snap engines on any part of the fuel tank without using cubic octagonal struts

Use the Editor Extensions mod. While having a part selected(not attached) and pressing Alt + R you can surface attach anything, including engines. I wouldn't build a stack under them then however as the connection is not as strong compared to using nodes. Or use the thrust p[late adapter(which is in many cases better and easier to use).

I have a problem with my procedural fairings not giving all the encased parts the "isShielded" property.

I installed RO/RSS with CKAN and then added some engine packs. Nothing else has been changed.

EDIT:

I fixed the problem by removing and then re-installing both procedural fairings and FAR.

*solved my own problem

If you ever encounter a weird problem with decoupling where they can only drift away in time warp but not in flight, decouple, go to the tracking station and delete debris with no name.

*rainbow Stalin for your time*-warning, music.

http://psapin.github.io/

Edited by JT2227

Important note:

It has been brought to my attention that the launch options previously in the OP don't actually do anything (Thanks NathanKell for investigating the launch options further)

The launch options in the OP have been updated, and should now actually do things:

Follow these steps to set launch options for Kerbal Space Program to reduce RAM footprint and allow alt-tabbing while loading:

1. Edit settings.cfg in the root KSP install folder, change FULLSCREEN = True to FULLSCREEN = False
  2. Create a desktop shortcut for KSP.exe
  3. Right click on it, and open up the properties of that shortcut
  4. Add -force-opengl -popupwindow following the path to your KSP.exe.
  5. Launch the game, if you get graphical glitches (My text is glitchy with -force-opengl) try:
  6. Replace with -force-d3d11 -popupwindow in the path to your KSP.exe.

In the end, your Properties window should look like one of these:

Oemlrlq.png

Use the Editor Extensions mod. While having a part selected(not attached) and pressing Alt + R you can surface attach anything, including engines. I wouldn't build a stack under them then however as the connection is not as strong compared to using nodes. Or use the thrust p[late adapter(which is in many cases better and easier to use).
You can just use the thrust plate from Procedural Fairings. It makes engine clusters very easy to make.

Can you guys give me an idea of a 2 meter 2 stage launcher for light payloads e.g. small pod or a comsat? Or maybe a thread, where there are some craft samples :D

Edited by Miximix

Excellent! If you would, if it's not too late, could you make the engine models separate from the tank butt? (posting from my phone, or I'd provide examples)

I think I have an idea of what you mean. Maybe some pictures? Currently I have the Delta IV CBC tank modeled, then onto the strap on cone and engine shroud! I am thinking of actually modeling the engines last, to buy some time to get used to the whole workflow. I will post some pictures once I can get the proper textures set out straight.

Not as yet, no.

I'm eyeballing Kethane and pondering a conversion where by you can use it to collect up various ices and then process them. Real materials converted to real resources in realistic quantities. :P

@Felger:

I have begun implementing the consolidation mechanics for the GUIed AutoPruner...I will have a working prototype shortly...

----------

On a different, but related subject, as I was taking a more serious look at the CKAN installations and methods, to investigate whether my version of the AutoPruner could cause conflicts, I noticed that the current command-line instructions have some mistakes...

The "cd" command is used just for changing a drive's "working directory", but will not change the command-line's current working drive or it's working directory (unless the cd command's drive is the current one anyways)...

Basically, this is what happens:

[COLOR="#008000"]//Command-Line's default starting dir is at C:[/COLOR]
C:\User\ThisUser>[COLOR="#0000FF"][Waits input here][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]//The user types a cd command targeting a [B]different drive[/B]...[/COLOR]
C:\User\ThisUser>[COLOR="#FF8C00"][U]cd E:[/U]\Games\Kerbal Space Program[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000FF"][Enter][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#008000"]//Resulting Command-Line's working directory does [B]not[/B] change...[/COLOR]
[B][U]C:\User\ThisUser>[/U][/B][COLOR="#0000FF"][Waits input here][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]//Explanation: 'E:' drive's working dir was changed by the cd command, but not Command-Line's current drive (still C:) nor C:'s working dir...
//If the user now changes the Command-Line's drive to E: (Note that [B]"cd" is not used[/B]), it goes directly to the KSP folder (because it was previously set by the cd command)...[/COLOR]
C:\User\ThisUser>[COLOR="#FF8C00"][U]E:[/U][/COLOR][COLOR="#0000FF"][Enter][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#008000"]//Result:[/COLOR]
[B][U]E:\Games\Kerbal Space Program>[/U][/B][COLOR="#0000FF"][Waits input here][/COLOR]

----------

So the first instruction should be to type the KSP's installation drive directly (without the "cd" command); And the example should be simply:

D:

[COLOR="#008000"]//Instead of...[/COLOR]
cd D:

After the user is in the correct drive, then the cd command is used to traverse to the correct directory...

[COLOR="#008000"]//The user can traverse the directories one at a time:[/COLOR]
cd Games
cd Kerbal Space Program

[COLOR="#008000"]//Or all at once; Optionally including the drive in the path, but as explained, that will not change the Command-Line's current directory if that's a different drive:[/COLOR]
cd Games\Kerbal Space Program
[COLOR="#008000"]//Or including drive:[/COLOR]
cd D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program

Also note that the last directory in the path you send to cd doesn't include a "\"...And that final "\" should be removed from the Steam's path example...

cd C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program

Edited by AlmightyR
Added some color-coding to make the differences between code parts more noticeable.

So I felt a little out of it earlier. So I opted to launch a Delta IV Heavy with a 4 meter DCSS and my KROL-001 satellite on top of it. It was odd since it had close to 18000 m/s Delta V. which is extremely close to being able to launch to the moon... .-.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit: This entire thing should only have around 15000, and I was 1000 m/s Delta V off of my estimate earlier... .-.

PS- Also I was extremely tired when I made the Imgur Album. Please excuse the minor "mistakes" xD

Edited by Briefmoment

A few random questions about fuels and fuel tanks:

1: Do balloon tanks (that do not themselves contain an expanding material) require a source of nitrogen/helium/CO2 to maintain their rigidity and structural soundness?

2: Will hypergolic fuels (such as used on the LEM) require a source of pressurized gas in order to flow in zero-G? (The LEM used helium to push its hypergolic propellants if I recall correctly.)

3: I'm looking at using kethane to make an appropriate ISRU system, looking for suggestions about what sort of propellants and resources would be actually feasible for synthesis in place, such as using ammonia to make hydrazine.

As for local materials to harvest, to start with various ices: Water, methanol, ammonia, carbon dioxide, formaldehyde, hydrogen sulfide and carbonyl sulfide. From these what wonders might we create? :P

Hello Kerbalnauts,

Firts of all sry for my bad english, i hope someone will understand me.

I just tried to install Overhaul and run into a problem with the FASA Mod. If i start the game, it dosent load some FASA parts (FASA/Apollo/LEM/AscentEngine/LM_AscentEngine/FASALM_AscentEngine) and some other parts as Apollo_SM as an exemple. So i searched in the part.cfg and it seemed to me that there are some naming problems in the RO_FASA_ApolloCSM.cfg. So i renamed some of the FASA Part.cfg's as it shows up in the loadingscreen. All of the "normal" part.cfg would be loaded but LM_AscentEngine part.cfg asumed to me total different and i have had no clue to fix it. (The last time i run into programming was at times QBasic was "IN" ) Kerbal loads all Mods, then ModulManager loads all the mods for Overhaul and then the problem kicks in.

I hope someone understands my problem and can help me.

My installed mods:

Bahamuto D Animation Modules

Chatterer

Custom Biomes

DDSLoader

Ferram Aerospace Research

Kerbal Alarm Clock

KAS

KJR

Infernal Robotics

MechJeb 2

Module Manager

RasterPropMonitor

RRS

RealChute

Realism Overhaul

ScanSat

TAC Fuel Balancer

Thanks

MichbeckP

1. AFAIK they currently don't in the game. That is, you can use them to "cheat", although that would be kinda pointless in my opinion, as it takes away from the sense of achievement.

2. That is only simulated if you use the Engine Ignitor mod, and is a function of whether or not the engine is pressure-fed, not whether or not it uses hypergolic fuels. Most pressure-fed engines use hypergolic propellants, but not all of them do. If an engine is pressure-fed, then the answer is yes, with these engines you need to use fuel tanks of the "service module" type, which are heavier than others to account for additional helium tanks.

3. Definitely methane through the sabatier reaction, and simple electrolysis of water (the latter obviously requiring a nuclear reactor), don't know what else.

Can you guys give me an idea of a 2 meter 2 stage launcher for light payloads e.g. small pod or a comsat? Or maybe a thread, where there are some craft samples :D

Have a look at the 'my first rocket' guide in the OP, that should be enough to get you started!

I think I have an idea of what you mean. Maybe some pictures? Currently I have the Delta IV CBC tank modeled, then onto the strap on cone and engine shroud! I am thinking of actually modeling the engines last, to buy some time to get used to the whole workflow. I will post some pictures once I can get the proper textures set out straight.

Lots of tankbutt, is designed as the bottom end of the tank, instead of just an engine:

dMyO9.jpg

Real life engine, no tankbutt. Is actually just the engine, and can be attached to whatever thrust plate or tank support structure you like:

A144.jpg

I'm eyeballing Kethane and pondering a conversion where by you can use it to collect up various ices and then process them. Real materials converted to real resources in realistic quantities. :P

Sounds nifty! Personally, I'd prefer Karbonite, its systems line up a bit better with how you'd expect real life to work. Feel free to pop into the IRC channel and we can chat about it!

@Felger:

I have begun implementing the consolidation mechanics for the GUIed AutoPruner...I will have a working prototype shortly...

----------

On a different, but related subject, as I was taking a more serious look at the CKAN installations and methods, to investigate whether my version of the AutoPruner could cause conflicts, I noticed that the current command-line instructions have some mistakes...

The "cd" command is used just for changing a drive's "working directory", but will not change the command-line's current working drive or it's working directory (unless the cd command's drive is the current one anyways)...

Basically, this is what happens:

[COLOR="#008000"]//Command-Line's default starting dir is at C:[/COLOR]
C:\User\ThisUser>[COLOR="#0000FF"][Waits input here][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]//The user types a cd command targeting a [B]different drive[/B]...[/COLOR]
C:\User\ThisUser>[COLOR="#FF8C00"][U]cd E:[/U]\Games\Kerbal Space Program[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000FF"][Enter][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#008000"]//Resulting Command-Line's working directory does [B]not[/B] change...[/COLOR]
[B][U]C:\User\ThisUser>[/U][/B][COLOR="#0000FF"][Waits input here][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]//Explanation: 'E:' drive's working dir was changed by the cd command, but not Command-Line's current drive (still C:) nor C:'s working dir...
//If the user now changes the Command-Line's drive to E: (Note that [B]"cd" is not used[/B]), it goes directly to the KSP folder (because it was previously set by the cd command)...[/COLOR]
C:\User\ThisUser>[COLOR="#FF8C00"][U]E:[/U][/COLOR][COLOR="#0000FF"][Enter][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#008000"]//Result:[/COLOR]
[B][U]E:\Games\Kerbal Space Program>[/U][/B][COLOR="#0000FF"][Waits input here][/COLOR]

----------

So the first instruction should be to type the KSP's installation drive directly (without the "cd" command); And the example should be simply:

[COLOR="#008000"]//Instead of...[/COLOR]
cd D:
D:

After the user is in the correct drive, then the cd command is used to traverse to the correct directory...

cd Games
cd Kerbal Space Program

[COLOR="#008000"]//Or all at once; Optionally including the drive in the path, but as explained, that will not change the Command-Line's current directory if that's a different drive:[/COLOR]
cd Games\Kerbal Space Program
[COLOR="#008000"]//Or including drive:[/COLOR]
cd D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program
[COLOR="#008000"]//The user can traverse the directories one at a time:[/COLOR]

Also note that the last directory in the path you send to cd doesn't include a "\"...And that final "\" should be removed from the Steam's path example...

cd C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program

You, sir, are absolutely correct and I thought I had already covered that. Suppose I didn't. Oh well, don't figure anyone who's not familiar with command line is going to be running the command line instructions anyway, GUI is more fully featured at this point. I should probably update the instructions to reflect that.

A few random questions about fuels and fuel tanks:

1: Do balloon tanks (that do not themselves contain an expanding material) require a source of nitrogen/helium/CO2 to maintain their rigidity and structural soundness?

2: Will hypergolic fuels (such as used on the LEM) require a source of pressurized gas in order to flow in zero-G? (The LEM used helium to push its hypergolic propellants if I recall correctly.)

3: I'm looking at using kethane to make an appropriate ISRU system, looking for suggestions about what sort of propellants and resources would be actually feasible for synthesis in place, such as using ammonia to make hydrazine.

As for local materials to harvest, to start with various ices: Water, methanol, ammonia, carbon dioxide, formaldehyde, hydrogen sulfide and carbonyl sulfide. From these what wonders might we create? :P

See Hattivat's answers for 1-3, and as I said above I'm personally more of a fan of Karbonite than Kethane, but you're the one making the config file, so it's your pick!

On what you can make where, you'll probably have to do your research on that one. I might suggest having a look at KSP Interstellar's ISRU system, it's quite good, and based on the same sorts of things as Karbonite.

Hello Kerbalnauts,

Firts of all sry for my bad english, i hope someone will understand me.

I just tried to install Overhaul and run into a problem with the FASA Mod. If i start the game, it dosent load some FASA parts (FASA/Apollo/LEM/AscentEngine/LM_AscentEngine/FASALM_AscentEngine) and some other parts as Apollo_SM as an exemple. So i searched in the part.cfg and it seemed to me that there are some naming problems in the RO_FASA_ApolloCSM.cfg. So i renamed some of the FASA Part.cfg's as it shows up in the loadingscreen. All of the "normal" part.cfg would be loaded but LM_AscentEngine part.cfg asumed to me total different and i have had no clue to fix it. (The last time i run into programming was at times QBasic was "IN" ) Kerbal loads all Mods, then ModulManager loads all the mods for Overhaul and then the problem kicks in.

I hope someone understands my problem and can help me.

//Modlist removed, don't see any problems//

First off, it doesn't look like you installed from CKAN, which is the best way to install Realism Overhaul.

Second, you also seem to be missing RealFuels, and quite a few other Required mods. Please install those, otherwise things will not work right.

Renaming the part.cfg files is probably not a good idea, or renaming any files for that matter, unless you intend to break things. More often than not, they're called out explicitly by other files when loading is taking place.

I would suggest re-installing (Using CKAN, because CKAN is awesome!) and seeing if that fixes things, at the very least reinstall FASA, if not all of Realism Overhaul.

I see MASSIVE amounts of tank butt. XD

...And that is exactly what I had in mind.

So, by tankbutt, we mean the bits of the tank that appear to be attached to the engine. Basically, we're hoping that any engines are completely separate from the tank structure. Just the tubes, pipes, pumps, combustion chamber, valves, hypergolic fluid containment vessels, and nozzle. No extra equipment necessary!

Yaivenov: regarding 1 and 2, to expand on the ever-helpful Hattivat, tank pressurants are assumed to be part of the tank base mass (and the base mass is large enough to account for it), and are not modeled as themselves, you don't have to worry about them.

3 sounds awesome! Alas I don't know much about ISRU, but I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable people in this thread who can help. :)