[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

For the record: it was an issue where the DepletedFuel (the output resource) buffer was missing (forgot to add it, damn! :().

@mwg_testi also adjusted the consumption rate of Pu-238. Now the generator will last ~43 years (half the time of the half - life of Pu-238 - 87.7 years). It may seem like the duration is short but RTGs generally do not last longer than that (excluding the Lincoln satellites and the Voyagers).

The only thing that is left now is a way to simulate the half - life of the radioactive materials but it would require a plugin to achieve that.

Edited by Phineas Freak

35 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

For the record: it was an issue where the DepletedFuel (the output resource) buffer was missing (forgot to add it, damn! :().

@mwg_testi also adjusted the consumption rate of Pu-238. Now the generator will last ~43 years (half the time of the half - life of Pu-238 - 87.7 years). It may seem like the duration is short but RTGs generally do not last longer than that (excluding the Lincoln satellites and the Voyagers).

The only thing that is left now is a way to simulate the half - life of the radioactive materials but it would require a plugin to achieve that.

U can make generator wich uses 238Pu as "propellant" and generates 234U with same ratio, and outrut electricity will be calculated by amount of "fuel" as it do now. Or in config there is no way to define equasion to "ratio ="?

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

Is there a topic about RealPlumes?  I want to tone down those huge smoke screens but can't find the settings.

Hi, you will need Blizzy78's Toolbar mod to set the SmokeScreen particle limit lower.

Alternatively, edit the SmokeScreen.cfg in GameData > SmokeScreen.

Change: 'maximumActiveParticles = 9000' to something like 3000 or 1000

Realplume topic

Cheers

Edited by sjsninetrys

To change RealPlume parameters outside of the smoke density (particle count) you need to find the RealPlume configuration for the specified engine and edit the following parameters at your liking:

localRotation: Defines the rotation of the plume transform.
localPosition: Defines the position of the plume on the Z axis.
fixedScale:    Defines the scale of the plume (higher number = bigger plume).
energy:        Defines the length of the plume tail (higher number = longer plume).
speed:         Defines the speed that the particles are moving relative to the engine (higher number = faster particles).

Note that the scale, energy and speed values must be adjusted together for the best final result.

Hi, I'm having a little issue with RO, I'm not getting any re-entry effects and the atmosphere is very thin (can spin a rocket 360 constantly on lunch).

This is with a fresh install of KSP, RO and all the required mods are installed via CKAN. 

I've created a new Physic.cfg (the old was fine) to see if that was the issue.

Then I made another Fresh install and reinstalled RO and all other mods again but its still the same.

Finally I removed Deadly Re-entry, RO (and the other mods CKAN required me to remove) and reinstalled them manually. However its still the same.

In the F12 menu under Physics/Thermal a couple of the values seem very different to my other installs of KSP

Conduction Enabled is at 5 (its 120 in my other installs)

Convection Enabled is 2.5 (7.0 normally)  Not sure if these should be set like this in RO?

Output Log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26687/output_log.txt

Any ideas? Thanks.

What's with the 2 meter Mk-2 parts? Planes are obsolete now. I mean, I can download B9, and I did. But the concept of modding in itself hates me and my computer, and I have a bunch of confusing errors with the mod.

Edited by 073198681

On 12/20/2015 at 2:42 AM, StallionHurdler said:

Can anyone tell me why my dish and antenna range has not extended while using realism overhaul and real solar system? The pioneer dish says it should be able to connect to Juipter, yet I can not even connect to Venus. 

My fault: nominal range should be 1e12 meters, not 16e6. Pull request has been created; for now, I suggest you just change it in your local copy of /GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_RecommendedMods/RO_RemoteTech.cfg.

IIRC that won't retroactively change craft that are already launched, and possibly not even those in the KCT build queue.

Edited by Laie

9 hours ago, 073198681 said:

What's with the 2 meter Mk-2 parts? Planes are obsolete now. I mean, I can download B9, and I did. But the concept of modding in itself hates me and my computer, and I have a bunch of confusing errors with the mod.

so, what are you going to do then? just live with the errors? 

or post the log file in its entirety so that you can get help or potential bugs fixed?

;)

16 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

so, what are you going to do then? just live with the errors? 

or post the log file in its entirety so that you can get help or potential bugs fixed?

Say hello to my little friend!

*dramatic music commences

*holy light shines upon Earth, God comes down, reaches out with a closed hand

*hand unfurls...

*tweakscale, shining, and bright as a thousand suns, comes out

*the population of the world kneels, and God walks through each person, touching him and proclaiming him as a saint

10 hours ago, Torih said:

Hi, I'm having a little issue with RO, I'm not getting any re-entry effects and the atmosphere is very thin (can spin a rocket 360 constantly on lunch).

This is with a fresh install of KSP, RO and all the required mods are installed via CKAN. 

I've created a new Physic.cfg (the old was fine) to see if that was the issue.

Then I made another Fresh install and reinstalled RO and all other mods again but its still the same.

Finally I removed Deadly Re-entry, RO (and the other mods CKAN required me to remove) and reinstalled them manually. However its still the same.

In the F12 menu under Physics/Thermal a couple of the values seem very different to my other installs of KSP

Conduction Enabled is at 5 (its 120 in my other installs)

Convection Enabled is 2.5 (7.0 normally)  Not sure if these should be set like this in RO?

Output Log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26687/output_log.txt

Any ideas? Thanks.

hey I missed this earlier. conduction = 5 sounds suspiciously like you installed an older version of Deadly Reentry which did indeed set conduction very low. 

can't look at the log; on my iPad. I'll look at it later. do you get ANY reentry effects at all? if so, what altitude and velocity before you see them?

Edited by Starwaster

Hello, I am having a small issue with RO at the moment. I have built a Space Shuttle using Mk3 and procedural parts/wings. When attempting a reentry, at around 100 km/7.9 km/s a procedural nose cone, rcs thrusters, and all of the procedural control surfaces (spaceplane ones) all overheat and decintigrate before any serious acceleration or reentry effects appear. I have Deadly Reentry 7.3.1 installed, and the only non-suggested mod aside from what CKAN suggests I have is RVE for ksp 1.0.4.

I can recreate the situation to obtain a log file if needed.

Edited by Airsquid

Does anyone know where I can grab a working Remote Tech RSS config file for the current version??... It won't let me download it from CKAN for whatever reason and I'm not having much luck finding it on my own... Being able to communicate with no LOS is a bit cheaty haha

1 hour ago, Woody716 said:

Does anyone know where I can grab a working Remote Tech RSS config file for the current version??... It won't let me download it from CKAN for whatever reason and I'm not having much luck finding it on my own... Being able to communicate with no LOS is a bit cheaty haha

A RemoteTech patch for RSS is already included with RSS, no need to install anything else.

The "RemoteTech RSS Configuration" supplied as an option by CKAN is deprecated and it is tagged incorrectly as compatible with KSP 1.0.5 and RSS 10.4.1.

On 12/23/2015 at 1:09 AM, Starwaster said:

hey I missed this earlier. conduction = 5 sounds suspiciously like you installed an older version of Deadly Reentry which did indeed set conduction very low. 

can't look at the log; on my iPad. I'll look at it later. do you get ANY reentry effects at all? if so, what altitude and velocity before you see them?

Sorry for the late reply, been away with Christmas.

Its the latest version of Deadly Re-entry, I was getting slight effects at 30k if I smashed into the atmo at 3.5kish but far less than normal. Also on launch I would not get any aero effects even when in low atmosphere going at 400+

Going to give it another fresh install now and I've redownload stock since I'm  wondering if gog update from 1.0.4 didn't work perfectly.

On 12/26/2015 at 5:13 PM, NathanKell said:

@Woody716 please tell me where you heard you need one. That config is part of RSS itself as of the last RSS version for 1.0.4 (2-3 versions ago) and so if anything is still saying you need a separate config, it needs to be updated to not say that anymore.

It was listed in CKAN so I assumed it was necessary, and it was also in the description on the remote tech 2 thread as a separate config file for "RSS ground stations"..  Phineas Freak has pointed out the CKAN is improperly listing the extra config file for remote tech and that's what has led to the confusion for the most part... Thanks for the speedy reply

On 12/26/2015 at 5:14 PM, Phineas Freak said:

A RemoteTech patch for RSS is already included with RSS, no need to install anything else.

The "RemoteTech RSS Configuration" supplied as an option by CKAN is deprecated and it is tagged incorrectly as compatible with KSP 1.0.5 and RSS 10.4.1.

Thank you... That would make sense since the config file wouldn't actually download through CKAN...

On 12/22/2015 at 4:02 PM, Laie said:

My fault: nominal range should be 1e12 meters, not 16e6. Pull request has been created; for now, I suggest you just change it in your local copy of /GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_RecommendedMods/RO_RemoteTech.cfg.

IIRC that won't retroactively change craft that are already launched, and possibly not even those in the KCT build queue.

Thanks I did go into the cfg. And change the ranges and now I can go to other planets. Looking forward to update tho to get it working like it should

On 19/12/2015 at 2:09 PM, KingKappa said:

Hey,

I wanted to start playing with popular mods installed, so that they are there and I can possibly learn on the fly.

I tried to run Kerbal with RO installed, but module manager would freeze at 7661 patches with tinytim/tinytim/tinytim and if I removed that folder it would instead freeze at a random part file. Does anyone know a workaround? Thanks!

(In the meantime im just not using it, but would love to have the addition!)

Redownload KSP or update through Steam.  I had the same problem, you need the "silent patch" for 1.0.5, build 1028.

Use separation motors before activating my engine works very well !! Thanks a lot !

On 19/12/2015 at 4:10 AM, 63Hayden said:

Right. I had this problem too, when I first started out with realism overhaul. It's a feature introduced by Real Fuels, which is relied upon by RO itself. The 'vapor in feedlines' message that you get appears when the fuel in your storage tank is 'unstable', which is to say that it has collected at the opposite end of the tank, away from the engine. What you need to do is get the fuel and oxidizer into the feedlines using a small measure of thrust; just enough to move the liquids back. This can be achieved by using separation motors in the proceeding stages of your rocket. Once you're been in space for a while, the fuel/oxidizer will naturally move around in the storage tank, but you can just use small pulses of RCS thrust to alleviate this. The best way to identify the current state of the fuel/oxidizer in your stage is to right click on the engine utilizing said liquids; somewhere in that summary you'll find what I'm talking about.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Hayden

On 19/12/2015 at 4:14 AM, Aazard said:

basicly you need a way to "settle" the fuel. I suggest attaching (in 2x mode) the tiny separator motors to the stage that needs ullage (pointing downwards in same direction as rocket bell), set them to activate when you decouple with the next staging being the one that activates the rocket, attempt to activate the rocket 50% to 75% of the way through the separators burn. These separators are also handy for setting up "spin stabilization", if angled, on unguided rockets and/or stages

do you understand my explanation?

Help with loading.

So I installed the mod (I just dragged the unzipped folder into the GameData folder) and loaded up KSP. As the game was loading it got stuck. The line it got stuck on was Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/mk1-2CommandPod/Mark1-2Pod 

I tried quitting KSP and relaunching it, same thing. I then tried to see if it was something wrong with the game, so I temporarily removed the mod from the GameData folder, and launched KSP. It worked fine. 

I don't know if I did something wrong. I have a mac, but I've seen other users on youtube use a mac with RO. 

What should I do?