The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

The problem seems to be an old server config on https://ksp.sarbian.com/

this is the error:

Failed to download "https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/ModuleManager-2.6.0.zip" - error: SslCaCert

One or more files failed to download, stopped.

I'm going to contact sarbian about this. an analysis of his server shows that it is still using SSL 3.0, which has problems.

If you think having them on CKAN is relevant for your mods then either releasing them through github or hosting on Kerbalstuff are both well tested and working solutions to achieve that goal.

Plus, git is a good way to keep your mod files in order and to define releases of it. Once you get used to using it, you'll never want to be without. (I used my first version control system in 2000 (CVS). Since then, being without version control for work more significant than a shopping list makes me feel unsafe. And git just is the best system out there today.)

linuxgurugamer : I replied to your PM but I'll reply here too.

The message is clear libcurl complains about the CA. You either did not update the mono CA list (as per CKAN install instruction) or something else is going on. But this is not a problem on my server side.

I'm building a new release now which should fix our *new* SSL options. My version of Firefox thinks that sarbian's cert is indeed valid, but unfortunately the CA isn't recognised by libcurl on most systems (including mine), and ironically libcurl doesn't look at the mono CA list.

To get things working again ASAP, I'm telling libcurl to just *trust* us on this. No, I'm not happy with that as a long term fix either. To fix things long-term, we should get libcurl to look at the mono CA store.

~ pjf

Then there is something clearly fishy about the way Linux distrib update their CA because mine is far from being a new one. On my Arch this CA is accepted by a curl.

Edit : Pjf. I ll most likely update my SSL conf in the coming week (I fell stupid pushing for better config while having worse for my servers). We should try to find a matching time so we can be sure it does not break anything more :)

Edit2 : I see that I did not include the whole chain this time. I ll change it tonight, it may help.

Edited by sarbian

This is an open message (obviously) to all the maintainers of CKAN/NetKAN, Sarbian and anyone else associated with this process.

First, a very big THANK YOU for all the work you do. I know it's real pain sometimes, but hopefully the end result will be worth it.

Second. Would it be possible to, whenever a release is done, to rebuild ALL the .netkan files? It was very frustrating for me, being a fairly new mod author, over the past day or so, to run into the issue with Sarbian's server. A full rebuild would have shown the issue before it was released.

Third. In real life I am a system's administrator for a very large number of Linux systems. I'd be happy to help if you need any support. Just contact me via private message (and you will even get to learn my real name :-)

Fourth, to Sarbian. A thank-you for first responding to me, and second, for finally finding the problem with your certificates.

LinuxGuruGamer

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I just signed up to support Paul on Patreon at the $5 level

First, a very big THANK YOU for all the work you do. I know it's real pain sometimes, but hopefully the end result will be worth it.

Thank you. It's certainly changed how I play KSP. :)

Second. Would it be possible to, whenever a release is done, to rebuild ALL the .netkan files? It was very frustrating for me, being a fairly new mod author, over the past day or so, to run into the issue with Sarbian's server. A full rebuild would have shown the issue before it was released.

Oh my goodness. I want so much more than that. I want there to be nagios monitoring or equivalent on all NetKAN indexing operations, so we can see immediately if anything breaks, for any reason. I want a million more tests on all our code. I want hooks into my exobrain that alert people (preferably not me, but probably me) if something goes wrong. I want many things.

Of course, the CKAN is an effort that's very much built on volunteer labour. There's *more* than enough work for it to be someone's full-time job. Indeed, the initial sprint (which is *very* noticeable in my github contributions graph) was about 300 hours over 10 weeks. I took a break at the start of this year, and so I'm still catching up with all the changes.

One of my current goals is very much to streamline and improve our workflow, testing, and automation.

Third. In real life I am a system's administrator for a very large number of Linux systems. I'd be happy to help if you need any support. Just contact me via private message (and you will even get to learn my real name :-)

Too late! You've sent us pull requests. We have your name. Mwahahaha! ;)

There's a good chance I'll take you up on this, although it may be a few weeks before we're ready. However if you've ever set up an Ubuntu ppa, written a Debian control file, made an .rpm, or written a script for homebrew, then let me know now. As the CKAN accumulates more dependencies we very much want better ways to do installs on non-Windows systems.

Oh, and I just signed up to support Paul on Patreon at the $5 level

You are *awesome*, thank you. The fact that folks are willing to support CKAN development financially is a pretty big motivator for me, and the CKAN sprints especially mean that I can knock over some of the more difficult issues that would otherwise not get handled otherwise.

Many, many thanks!

~ pjf

Edited by pjf

It's very useful application, but you really should do something with it's ability to work with existing files.

It's abnormal, when application just crash, if some file it tries to update, already exists.

CKAN.FileExistsKraken: Trying to write c:/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Command/CommandPods/Cap.mu but it already exists.
CKAN.ModuleInstaller.CopyZipEntry(ZipFile zipfile, ZipEntry entry, String fullPath, Boolean makeDirs)
CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallModule(CkanModule module, String zip_filename)
CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)
CKAN.ModuleInstaller.AddRemove(IEnumerable`1 add, IEnumerable`1 remove)
CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Upgrade(IEnumerable`1 modules, NetAsyncDownloader netAsyncDownloader)
CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

I updated the cert for ksp.sarbian.com again. Made sure the whole cert chain is sent and changed the config a bit. SSLv3 is still around for now but it may go later if the log show that no one use it. I saw CKAN client get files so it seems I did not break anything.

I launched it yesterday evening. Looks great!

The mods marked with "autodetect.dll" as version are the ones i installed manually, right? Which means for migration, i'd have to delete them and re-install them via ckan. Or is there another way?

I launched it yesterday evening. Looks great!

The mods marked with "autodetect.dll" as version are the ones i installed manually, right? Which means for migration, i'd have to delete them and re-install them via ckan. Or is there another way?

There's no other way. However, make sure you remove every mod that depends on those before you remove them.

CKAN doesn't play nice with manually installed mods: that's by design and it's not likely to change any time soon. My personal suggestion is to just delete *every* mod and start using ckan from a vanilla install.

There's no other way. However, make sure you remove every mod that depends on those before you remove them.

Yes. And if you left at least one dependency mod, CKAN would crash at any action.

CKAN doesn't play nice with manually installed mods: that's by design and it's not likely to change any time soon. My personal suggestion is to just delete *every* mod and start using ckan from a vanilla install.

Deleting all "other" mods that have dependencies is impractical when the AD mod is ModuleManager. AFAIK just about every mod will have dependencies on it.

And Starting with a vanilla install and adding all the mods again would not be so difficult if CKAN at least had the ability to "Remember" which mods had been previously installed so I dont have to page through about 600 mods checking each one to see if its on my modded install thats bugged cause I dont have the option to force an update of a AD mod.

Deleting all "other" mods that have dependencies is impractical when the AD mod is ModuleManager. AFAIK just about every mod will have dependencies on it.

And Starting with a vanilla install and adding all the mods again would not be so difficult if CKAN at least had the ability to "Remember" which mods had been previously installed so I dont have to page through about 600 mods checking each one to see if its on my modded install thats bugged cause I dont have the option to force an update of a AD mod.

Copy installed-default.ckan and then add that to your vanilla install https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-support/wiki/Sharing-a-modlist-%28metapackages%29

I am absolutely and completely blown away by this. I demand you put forth a donate link immediately so that I may buy you a cup of coffee or 5, as you just completely nullified my discontent at having to re-install all my mods after wiping my HDD. Outstanding work.

Oh, and as a bug report, it seems that if one of the mod downloads fails due to a bad link or something, the entire install process halts. You have to manually go back and disable the offending mod and then run the install again.

I am absolutely and completely blown away by this. I demand you put forth a donate link immediately so that I may buy you a cup of coffee or 5, as you just completely nullified my discontent at having to re-install all my mods after wiping my HDD. Outstanding work.

Oh, and as a bug report, it seems that if one of the mod downloads fails due to a bad link or something, the entire install process halts. You have to manually go back and disable the offending mod and then run the install again.

You could always look at https://www.patreon.com/pjf0 :)

As for the bugreport yes, I agree this is annoying and it shouldn't happen. Would you mind telling the name of the mod that refuses to download so we can look into it?

I just noticed that Porkjet's "Atmoic age" is not listed yet, if anyone wants to add that :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104855-0-90-Atomic-Age-Nuclear-Rockets

Please open a request on github https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/issues and we'll get around to it.

A small update on the indexing of mods in general also. I've been going through some indexing and have added a bunch of mods to CKAN over the weekend. Some highlights being Scatterer, Infernal Robotics Rework and a Mk1 Cargo Bay. Hope you enjoy!

I don't have a github account right now :/

I'd also rather not have to sign up to Github just to report bugs with CKAN when there is a perfectly good thread right here.

Some bugs I've noticed : every now and then the main window just does not show and I have to delete GUIConfig.xml to fix it but I've not bothered reporting it as it would mean going on Github. Same as trying to install atmopsheric scattering from astronomers pack does not cause the 'changeset' tab to pop up by itself but it is there in the changelist if you get the tab to appear with a different mod. Also if you want to install Mission Controller 2 then one dependency is CIT - KERT 1.3.1 which does not download then causes an exception when CKAN tries to install it...

CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install KERT 1.3.1, but it's not downloaded

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList(ICollection`1 modules, RelationshipResolverOptions options, NetAsyncDownloader downloader)

at CKAN.Main.InstallList(HashSet`1 toInstall, RelationshipResolverOptions options, NetAsyncDownloader downloader)

at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

I'm sure there are others. It sounds as though as much work as possible is being done already so I partly don't want to add to that either.

That said, this is a great program and is a real boon in the job of keeping mods in order and up to date.

I'd also rather not have to sign up to Github just to report bugs with CKAN when there is a perfectly good thread right here.

Some bugs I've noticed : every now and then the main window just does not show and I have to delete GUIConfig.xml to fix it but I've not bothered reporting it as it would mean going on Github. Same as trying to install atmopsheric scattering from astronomers pack does not cause the 'changeset' tab to pop up by itself but it is there in the changelist if you get the tab to appear with a different mod. Also if you want to install Mission Controller 2 then one dependency is CIT - KERT 1.3.1 which does not download then causes an exception when CKAN tries to install it...

CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install KERT 1.3.1, but it's not downloaded

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList(ICollection`1 modules, RelationshipResolverOptions options, NetAsyncDownloader downloader)

at CKAN.Main.InstallList(HashSet`1 toInstall, RelationshipResolverOptions options, NetAsyncDownloader downloader)

at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

I'm sure there are others. It sounds as though as much work as possible is being done already so I partly don't want to add to that either.

That said, this is a great program and is a real boon in the job of keeping mods in order and up to date.

By signing up for github it makes it possible for developers to assign problems to people, triage bugs in order of how severe they are etc so opening issues on github do help the development process. It also makes it easier for us to link together duplicate issues to check for duplication steps and common denominators. This is esspecially true for the GUI main window suddenly disappering and is even mentioned in our wiki https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-support/wiki/Basic-troubleshooting#ckan-gui-starts-but-i-cant-see-any-gui-where-is-it since we currently have no way to reproduce the issue.

Issues with atmosperic scattering sounds strange, I see nothing in the metadata that should generate the issue you're having, what is the output of

ckan.exe list --porcelain

there might be a mod that doesn't like working with the scattering thing. Do you have any Astronomers cloud pack installed?

As for CIT - KERT I'll just link to the issuereport on github https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/932

When it comes to adding work, not getting error reports is also detrimental since that might mean it takes longer to hunt down a bug since we lack information about (esspecially) reproduction steps.