The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

I submitted some more info to Git, maybe it'll be helpful. The mimeapps.list thing definitely happens every time, and sudo makes it explode spectacularly (and with a super long error message). I'm using the dev version that pjf posted yesterday, so that may be part of it? It's named ckan-curlsharp.exe.

I'm able to reproduce the issue with the Taurus HCV and SpaceY lifters consistently on this version, and it happens with both the GUI and terminal version. More helpfully, I get the error message in the terminal instead of it mysteriously hanging:

mono ckan-curlsharp.exe install RandSCapsuledyne
About to install...

* RandSCapsuledyne 1.4.0

Continue? [Y/N] y

Downloading "Taurus HCV - 3.75 m Stock-ish Crew Pod/download/1.4.0" (libcurl)
0 kbps - downloading - 0 MiB left - 100%           
Installing mod "RandSCapsuledyne 1.4.0"
Unhandled Exception:
CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install RandSCapsuledyne 1.4.0, but it's not downloaded
  at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install (CKAN.CkanModule module, System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList (ICollection`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader downloader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader downloader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.CmdLine.Install.RunCommand (CKAN.KSP ksp, System.Object raw_options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install RandSCapsuledyne 1.4.0, but it's not downloaded
  at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install (CKAN.CkanModule module, System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList (ICollection`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader downloader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader downloader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.CmdLine.Install.RunCommand (CKAN.KSP ksp, System.Object raw_options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Like I mentioned previously, this operation leaves a 100-200 byte stub of an archive in the downloads folder, and I made sure to delete it each time I tried again. I checked the actual download sites for each of the mods, and I'm able to grab them manually just fine.

Finally, thanks for pointing me at the metapackages info! I figured that was such an obvious thing there must already be a way to do it. :D

I apoligize for the comment, I am actively working with the program still, to help find answers for the .mimeapps.list problem

I've updated the ticket on github, and written a patch which I hope will be merged shortly. The CKAN GUI tries to install a MIME handler so you can click on ckan:// links in your web-browser, and have the CKAN GUI handle them. For some reason the .ini parser (which is part of mono) seems to have issues with the .mimeapps.list file under Linux, although I'm not exactly sure why. The good news is that the warning is essentially harmless (you just don't get the ckan:// URL handler), and so in 1.6.7 it'll be much less scary looking.

Aside from this, I understand and share your frustrations. The CKAN has proven to be *very* popular (which is great), but it also means that keeping on top of everything is a really hard task, especially as I took a much-needed break at the start of the year, and our build and release processes also changed during the same period. Our contribution base has also changed, with some of our most active long-term contributors now having significant time commitments in running their own successful start-ups, dominating the modosphere in other games, or jumping out of airplanes. Likewise we've got some newer faces who have been *amazing*, Daz in particular has been utterly fantastic in this regard.

The good news for me is that I've been able to put the CKAN on my work roster, meaning I can take time out from work to work exclusively on the CKAN. The first sprint meant we were able to sort out a number of SSL issues on Mac and Linux (which means we should see a new release today), and my next priority is to work through our structural processes in term of workflow, support, and development, as improvements here will give buffs to all future work for everyone assisting with the CKAN project. We also see a lot of questions and issues we see repeated regularly, and so focusing on those will also be a priority; we *really* want to be the CKAN to something that's as hassle free for users as possible.

So please, do stick with us while we're going through our current growth phase, we very much want to fix our current batch of issues too!

~ Paul

- - - Updated - - -

I'm able to reproduce the issue with the Taurus HCV and SpaceY lifters consistently on this version, and it happens with both the GUI and terminal version. More helpfully, I get the error message in the terminal instead of it mysteriously hanging:

You rock. I can reproduce this using CKAN, and the underlying libcurl library. It looks like the library expects URLs to be fully encoded (spaces -> %20) before being passed, whereas the .NET web client doesn't care.

Writing patches now. :)

New testing release solves the problems with Taurus HCV and SpaceY lifters installing for me. I'll consider you awesome if you download this and lets me know if it looks like everything is working as intended, especially if you include your OS details (Mac/Linux/Windows) when doing so. :)

New testing release solves the problems with Taurus HCV and SpaceY lifters installing for me. I'll consider you awesome if you download this and lets me know if it looks like everything is working as intended, especially if you include your OS details (Mac/Linux/Windows) when doing so. :)

Maybe not overwhelmingly relevant since it already worked in 1.6.6 but this testing version still works under Windows 7.

Tested and working fine on Linux Mint! Thanks!

V 1.6.6, KSP .90

I noticed that even though the following mods are in the CKAN list of possible mods to install, they are not being autodetected in my installation, or able to install after I remove the mods from my installation. By can't install, I mean that after I check them the changeset tab does not appear.

others seeing this? Ideas? I did a search for B9 on this thread and didn't see anything.. don't know if it's been previously reported or not.

EDIT- I'm currently working on this. I just found that if I select 6s and B9 one by one the changeset tab does appear.... I suspect only one of these is broken and when I'm done I'll report back which it is.

EDIT 2- I was able to install everything below singularly or in groups except for LLL Extra and TAC Life Support. If either of these is checked then the changset tab does not come up no matter what else you have or don't have selected.

B9 Aerospace

B9 Aero proc wings

KW rocketry

LLL

LLL extra

Universal Storage

Procedural Wings

SpaceX Launch

SpaceX Exploration

SpaceX Colonial

SpaceX Historical

TAC Life Support

Sun Dum Heavy Ind.

6S Service Components.

Edited by bmyers831
New info (see edit 2)

This testing release fixed a stop at 0 kbps issue I had while trying to update Realism Overhaul, thanks. Linux * 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux Mono JIT compiler version 3.12.1 (tarball Fri Mar 6 19:12:47 UTC 2015)

V 1.6.6, KSP .90

I noticed that even though the following mods are in the CKAN list of possible mods to install, they are not being autodetected in my installation, or able to install after I remove the mods from my installation. By can't install, I mean that after I check them the changeset tab does not appear.

others seeing this? Ideas? I did a search for B9 on this thread and didn't see anything.. don't know if it's been previously reported or not.

EDIT- I'm currently working on this. I just found that if I select 6s and B9 one by one the changeset tab does appear.... I suspect only one of these is broken and when I'm done I'll report back which it is.

EDIT 2- I was able to install everything below singularly or in groups except for LLL Extra and TAC Life Support. If either of these is checked then the changset tab does not come up no matter what else you have or don't have selected.

B9 Aerospace

B9 Aero proc wings

KW rocketry

LLL

LLL extra

Universal Storage

Procedural Wings

SpaceX Launch

SpaceX Exploration

SpaceX Colonial

SpaceX Historical

TAC Life Support

Sun Dum Heavy Ind.

6S Service Components.

I'm unable to reproduce any problems installing the mentioned mods in combination with eachother. The problem may very well lay in the mods having been installed manually at an earlier time. Have you ran a Refresh after manually removing the mods? Does installation work through commandline?

LLL Extra depends on TAC-LS and as such choosing only LLL Extra amounts to also installing TAC-LS in CKANs world so that might be a lead on what the problem is. Do you by any chance run Realism Overhaul?

I'm unable to reproduce any problems installing the mentioned mods in combination with eachother. The problem may very well lay in the mods having been installed manually at an earlier time. Have you ran a Refresh after manually removing the mods? Does installation work through commandline?

LLL Extra depends on TAC-LS and as such choosing only LLL Extra amounts to also installing TAC-LS in CKANs world so that might be a lead on what the problem is. Do you by any chance run Realism Overhaul?

They were installed manually previously however I removed those folders to do the CKAN installation. So to sum it up, remove, refresh, check either of those mods. No tab. I just tried again to make sure I got that right and came up with the same result.

I don't run realism overhaul.

They were installed manually previously however I removed those folders to do the CKAN installation. So to sum it up, remove, refresh, check either of those mods. No tab. I just tried again to make sure I got that right and came up with the same result.

I don't run realism overhaul.

I'd like to see the printout of

ckan list

in a terminal from the directory where ckan.exe resides. If you're on Linux or OS X you'll have to do

mono ckan.exe list

instead but the result will be the same. The command will print a list of your installed mods so we can see if anything looks strange.

Also could you try to install the mods with commandline and adding -v for verbose so we can see if any errors show up? You can do so by issuing these commands

ckan install -v LackLusterLabsExtra
ckan install -v TACLS

Normally commandline is better at showing errors and even more so with -v put in. Errors and warnings are normally clearly defined in the output so should be able to find the relevant parts of the log.

I only did a quick search so I apologize if this has already been answered.

Can I retroactively install CKAN? I currently have about 22 mods working in relatively stable fashion, but I'd like to start using CKAN. Will CKAN overwrite my current set of mods and/or their settings? I'd hate for my Kerbals to lose the ribbons they've earned so far, for instance. Some of the things I've read suggest that it won't, but I'm not sure and I'm afraid of ruining my current build. I'm using Windows, by the way.

It was able to install using ckan install -v LackLusterLabsExtra

that log scrolled out of the terminal buffer so I couldn't paste it in here.

Two things...

1) In order to use the command line I had to move the CKAN.exe from the desktop where I had it into the gamedata/ckan folder. Is that where it should have been all along? I left it there and put a shortcut on the desktop.

2) If I now launch the ckan GUI LLL extra is checked and toggling the checkbox toggles the changeset tab so maybe that is all cleared up.

Here is ckan.exe list (prior to command line install of LLL extra):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\CKAN>ckan.exe

list

KSP found at c:/program files (x86)/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program

KSP Version: 0.90.0

Installed Modules:

- ActiveTextureManagement-x86-Basic 4-3

- AGExt 1.31f

- AnimatedDecouplers-x64 1.0.1.x64

- AstronomersPack-DistantObjectEnhancement Interstellar.V2

- AviationLights 3.7

- B9 R5.2.8

- B9AerospaceProceduralParts 0.34

- Chatterer 0.8.1

- CommunityResourcePack 0.3.3

- CrewManifest 0.5.10-24

- CrossFeedEnabler v3.2

- CrowdSourcedScience v2.0

- CustomAsteroids v1.1.0

- CustomAsteroids-Pops-Stock-Inner v1.1.0

- CustomAsteroids-Pops-Stock-Outer v1.1.0

- DeadlyReentry v6.4.0

- DistantObject v1.5.2

- FerramAerospaceResearch v0.14.7

- FirespitterCore 7.0.5463.30802

- Fusebox 1.3

- HyperEdit 1.3

- InfernalRobotics 0.19.3

- Karbonite 0.5.5

- KAS 0.4.10

- KerbalAlarmClock v3.2.4.0

- KerbalFoundries Alpha_1.7c

- KineTechAnimation 1.1.1

- KlockheedMartian-Gimbal 3.0.1.0

- KSPAPIExtensions v1.7.2

- KWRocketry 2.6d2

- LackLusterLabs 13.1

- MechJeb2 2.4.2

- MiniAVC autodetected dll

- ModuleManager 2.6.0

- NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator autodetected dll

- NearFutureConstruction 0.4.0

- NearFutureElectrical 0.3.1

- NearFutureProps 0.3.1

- NearFuturePropulsion 0.4.0

- NearFutureSolar 0.4.0

- OPTSpacePlaneParts V1.6

- ProceduralDynamics v0.9.3

- ProceduralFairings v3.11

- RasterPropMonitor v0.19

- RasterPropMonitor-Core v0.19

- RCSBuildAid 0.6.1

- RealChute 1.3.1

- Regolith 0.1.7

- ResGen 0.28.2

- SCANsat v10.0

- ScienceContainers autodetected dll

- SDHI-ServiceModuleSystem v2.4

- Service-Compartments-6S 1.3

- SmokeScreen 2.5.3

- SpaceX-ColonialTransporter-Standard 90

- SpaceX-ExplorationExtension-Standard 90

- SpaceX-LaunchPack-Standard 90

- surfacelights 1.0

- TacFuelBalancer autodetected dll

- TextureReplacer 2.3.1

- ThrottleControlledAvionics 2.2.0

- Toolbar 1.7.8

- Trajectories 1.1.3

- TweakScale v1.52.1

- UKS 0.22.8

- UniversalStorage 1.0.90.2

- USITools 0.3.2

- VirginKalactic-NodeToggle 1.6.1

- VNG-Parachute 1.2

- VNG-Plugin 0.7.2

- WaypointManager 2.2.0

Legend: -: Up to date. X: Incompatible. ^: Upgradable. ?: Unknown

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\CKAN>

Edited by bmyers831

I only did a quick search so I apologize if this has already been answered.

Can I retroactively install CKAN? I currently have about 22 mods working in relatively stable fashion, but I'd like to start using CKAN. Will CKAN overwrite my current set of mods and/or their settings? I'd hate for my Kerbals to lose the ribbons they've earned so far, for instance. Some of the things I've read suggest that it won't, but I'm not sure and I'm afraid of ruining my current build. I'm using Windows, by the way.

CKAN isn't able to ruin anything in your current installation. However CKAN might miss some of your manually installed mods in it's initial detection sweep which could lead to dependency problems down the line somewhere if you are unlucky. The best way is simply to TIAS (Try It And See). Even though I'm very sure that CKAN won't mess with any of your files I always recommend backups before changing anything related to something you want to keep.

It was able to install using ckan install -v LackLusterLabsExtra

that log scrolled out of the terminal buffer so I couldn't paste it in here.

Two things...

1) In order to use the command line I had to move the CKAN.exe from the desktop where I had it into the gamedata/ckan folder. Is that where it should have been all along? I left it there and put a shortcut on the desktop.

2) If I now launch the ckan GUI LLL extra is checked and toggling the checkbox toggles the changeset tab so maybe that is all cleared up.

Here is ckan.exe list (prior to command line install of LLL extra):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\CKAN>ckan.exe

list

KSP found at c:/program files (x86)/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program

KSP Version: 0.90.0

Installed Modules:

- ActiveTextureManagement-x86-Basic 4-3

- AGExt 1.31f

- AnimatedDecouplers-x64 1.0.1.x64

- AstronomersPack-DistantObjectEnhancement Interstellar.V2

- AviationLights 3.7

- B9 R5.2.8

- B9AerospaceProceduralParts 0.34

- Chatterer 0.8.1

- CommunityResourcePack 0.3.3

- CrewManifest 0.5.10-24

- CrossFeedEnabler v3.2

- CrowdSourcedScience v2.0

- CustomAsteroids v1.1.0

- CustomAsteroids-Pops-Stock-Inner v1.1.0

- CustomAsteroids-Pops-Stock-Outer v1.1.0

- DeadlyReentry v6.4.0

- DistantObject v1.5.2

- FerramAerospaceResearch v0.14.7

- FirespitterCore 7.0.5463.30802

- Fusebox 1.3

- HyperEdit 1.3

- InfernalRobotics 0.19.3

- Karbonite 0.5.5

- KAS 0.4.10

- KerbalAlarmClock v3.2.4.0

- KerbalFoundries Alpha_1.7c

- KineTechAnimation 1.1.1

- KlockheedMartian-Gimbal 3.0.1.0

- KSPAPIExtensions v1.7.2

- KWRocketry 2.6d2

- LackLusterLabs 13.1

- MechJeb2 2.4.2

- MiniAVC autodetected dll

- ModuleManager 2.6.0

- NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator autodetected dll

- NearFutureConstruction 0.4.0

- NearFutureElectrical 0.3.1

- NearFutureProps 0.3.1

- NearFuturePropulsion 0.4.0

- NearFutureSolar 0.4.0

- OPTSpacePlaneParts V1.6

- ProceduralDynamics v0.9.3

- ProceduralFairings v3.11

- RasterPropMonitor v0.19

- RasterPropMonitor-Core v0.19

- RCSBuildAid 0.6.1

- RealChute 1.3.1

- Regolith 0.1.7

- ResGen 0.28.2

- SCANsat v10.0

- ScienceContainers autodetected dll

- SDHI-ServiceModuleSystem v2.4

- Service-Compartments-6S 1.3

- SmokeScreen 2.5.3

- SpaceX-ColonialTransporter-Standard 90

- SpaceX-ExplorationExtension-Standard 90

- SpaceX-LaunchPack-Standard 90

- surfacelights 1.0

- TacFuelBalancer autodetected dll

- TextureReplacer 2.3.1

- ThrottleControlledAvionics 2.2.0

- Toolbar 1.7.8

- Trajectories 1.1.3

- TweakScale v1.52.1

- UKS 0.22.8

- UniversalStorage 1.0.90.2

- USITools 0.3.2

- VirginKalactic-NodeToggle 1.6.1

- VNG-Parachute 1.2

- VNG-Plugin 0.7.2

- WaypointManager 2.2.0

Legend: -: Up to date. X: Incompatible. ^: Upgradable. ?: Unknown

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\CKAN>

First of all the list looks fine. I was somewhat hoping for some "?"s or "X"s but nope. I'm glad that you managed to install LLL-Extras, I assume this also installed TACLS since it's a dependency of LLLE?

1) Having your ckan.exe in the GameData/CKAN folder is not necessary but keeping it on at least the same partion and preferably somewhere in the KSP directory is recommended since there have been a few observed cases where it made a difference with earlier versions of CKAN. I haven't seen it myself since 1.5.6 or so but you never know. If commandline didn't work while it was on the desktop that might be due to you not running the commandprompt as admin since there might be problems related to writing to the Program Files folder without admin privileges.

2) Sometimes you just have to slap the GUI into place by doing some CLI trickery. Let's hope it keeps working, else just post here again and we'll figure it out!

Edited by Dazpoet

I assume this also installed TACLS since it's a dependency of LLLE?

yep that solved that too.

Now if I can just figure out why the astronomer's pack turns kerbin into a giant white jawbreaker with a swirling red stain on it..... (I'll take that up with them...) :cool:

PS- thanks a ton for the app and your quick help!

Tested this on OSX Yosemite.

Problem: Asked me if I wanted to upgrade to 1.6.6 (I assume this will go away, just reporting all issues)

Problem: Entering text in the filter field is very slow and iffy. I need to type 1 char at a time, about 1/second.

Problem: I typed "spacey" in the filter by name field. all lines were deleted from listbox, BUT in the right side, it did say SpaceY Heavy Lifters Parts Pack

I then deleted the filter, scrolled to find SpaceY by hand, selected it and installed it.

Result: Progress bar slowly advanced. I monitored the network, it seemed to advance as data was received. It was slow, I'm not sure why. I have a 50 Mbit download speed here, and it is performing at that speed with other tests.

Problem: It appeared that if I moved the mouse while the window had the focus, it would download at about 128 Kbit/second. If I wasn't moving the mouse, or if the window didn't have focus, it wasn't downloading

Final result: SpaceY was installed

CKAN isn't able to ruin anything in your current installation. However CKAN might miss some of your manually installed mods in it's initial detection sweep which could lead to dependency problems down the line somewhere if you are unlucky. The best way is simply to TIAS (Try It And See). Even though I'm very sure that CKAN won't mess with any of your files I always recommend backups before changing anything related to something you want to keep.

Good point. I'll make a back up and try it. Thanks for the reply.

New release - v1.6.7 aka Ceres

Just a quick note to say that CKAN release v1.6.7 is now live. This release contains an overhaul of how we handle downloads on Mac and Linux systems, meaning they should be much more responsive, less prone to errors, and come with more accurate download reports.

A huge thank you to everyone who supported my patreon drive, which has allowed me to integrate CKAN development into my work schedule. For those of you want to keep up to date with CKAN progress, you can subscribe to my patreon updates; only the backer reports and special rewards are non-public.

I'm planning for my future sprints to work on improving the overall user experience, including making installing easier (homebrew, apt-get, and yum options), better workflow for contributors (this will give myself and others extra buffs going forward), the ability to load the CKAN core into KSP itself, and especially a better workflow for handling issues and questions (we've tens of thousands of users!).

Thanks again for all your help, and keep doing awesome things in space!

~ Paul

can you add a way to add mods in a favorit section?? that would be handy

What would the purpose of this favorite section be? Do you want to maintain a list to use in other installations? In that case metapackages might be for you :) More info on those at https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-support/wiki/Sharing-a-modlist-%28metapackages%29

If the favorite section would serve another purpose please elaborate so we can take a look at it.

Alright so I guess I should sign up for Github then?

If you think having them on CKAN is relevant for your mods then either releasing them through github or hosting on Kerbalstuff are both well tested and working solutions to achieve that goal.

For several hours now, trying to pull new netkan files is getting the following error:

For some reason, it is pulling the wrong version of spacetux:

Downloading "https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/releases/download/0.7.11/ContractConfigurator_0.7.11.zip" (libcurl)

Downloading "https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/ModuleManager-2.6.0.zip" (libcurl)

When version 0.3.3 is available for the Spacetux Shared Assets

[h=1]Build #869 (Apr 16, 2015 1:34:14 AM)[/h]

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator