The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

My OS is Win7x64(Ultimate). CKAN is latest v 1.6.12.

Not the answer I was hoping for :/

Are you checking for download speed against the same download sources as CKAN? We primarily index from KerbalStuff and Github and sometimes forum threads have alternate links.

Is the problem happening for all mods or just some, if so which ones?

Pilot Assistant is out with a new version (1.5.6): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100073

Also, are there any plans to implement categories for easier browsing in Ckan?

Authors .version file specifies it to only be compatible with versions 1.0.0 to 1.0.0 as in those are the min/max fields, which we are indexing from. CKAN has correctly picked up and indexed Pilot Assistant 1.5.6 as can be seen at https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/blob/master/PilotAssistant/PilotAssistant-1.5.6.ckan

Please open a github issue with any feature requests, I seem to recall seeing that specific one before but don't know if anyone ever figured out a good way to show categories.

We're always happy to see PRs and I recommend you send it in for review so devs can see it and discuss it on github :)

Ah, great, thanks for the suggestion! :)

It took me a while to figure out Github, but I just sent out two pull requests. I think that's how the process works - never worked with an open-source codebase. I forgot to add separate branches for individual change groups, but otherwise I think it's all good.

If these pull requests are accepted, I will look into fixing up mods that are compatible but have incompatible dependencies.

While it wasn't much of an issue under the old KSP .90, the constant updating and adding of new mods to CKAN is daunting to try and keep up with since 1.0 release. Was curious if there was any way to see the date mods were added to CKAN. Obviously we can see the different version numbers and CKAN tells us when a mod is updated, but for mods that used to be incompatible or are added new from scratch, they can easily get lost if you don't know what mod you are looking for. I would love to see a list of all mods that are "new" or at least maybe be able to sort the mods by date added to CKAN. Just a thought...... :) Great program by the way!!!

Please open a github issue with any feature requests, I seem to recall seeing that specific one before but don't know if anyone ever figured out a good way to show categories.

I think a good starting point for categories would be that of the community mods and plugins library: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55401-Community-Mods-and-Plugins-Library.

Hi,

I am trying CKAN on my new installation of KSP v1.0.2 on Elementary OS (based on ubuntu 14.04).

But when I check a box near a mod I want to install (I tried several like Final Frontier or Chatterer), the computer freeze for several minutes and after Ckan crash.

I can read this in terminal :

Stack overflow: IP: 0x7f0702413c95, fault addr: 0x7ffe20bb3f88
Stacktrace:
at <unknown> <0xfffffffff>

Do you know what is happening ?

Not the answer I was hoping for :/

Are you checking for download speed against the same download sources as CKAN? We primarily index from KerbalStuff and Github and sometimes forum threads have alternate links.

Is the problem happening for all mods or just some, if so which ones?

Yes, problem with all mods that i`ve tried to install with CKAN. In CKAN speed is 10-20kbps, but when i copy link from CKAN ("Installing mods" window) and paste it to InternetDownloadManager - speed is about 350-450KB/sec!

While it wasn't much of an issue under the old KSP .90, the constant updating and adding of new mods to CKAN is daunting to try and keep up with since 1.0 release. Was curious if there was any way to see the date mods were added to CKAN. Obviously we can see the different version numbers and CKAN tells us when a mod is updated, but for mods that used to be incompatible or are added new from scratch, they can easily get lost if you don't know what mod you are looking for. I would love to see a list of all mods that are "new" or at least maybe be able to sort the mods by date added to CKAN. Just a thought...... :) Great program by the way!!!

I would greatly support CKAN having a current list of mods and noting the versions of all the mods changed or introduced on a refresh and enabling the user to sort the mods based on whether they have been updated since the last refresh or added since the last refresh. Currently all mods are displayed if you filter by 'new in repository'

I would suggest some slight changes to the filter menu (changes in bold)

'All' would show all mods

'Installed' would show installed mods

'Updated' could show updated installed mods

'New in Repository' could show mods introduced or updated since the last refresh, installed or not.

'Not installed' is mods that are not installed.

a new filter 'compatible' would show all mods in the repository that are compatible, installed or not.

'Incompatible' would show incompatible mods.

'Custom' would have toggles for 'installed', 'updated', 'new', 'compatible', and filter boxes for mod names and author names

I feel this would greatly expand the users ability to find the mods they are looking for.

(also added in Github messily, apologies, I'll get better)

Edited by John FX

See https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-GUI/pull/85

Hi,

I am trying CKAN on my new installation of KSP v1.0.2 on Elementary OS (based on ubuntu 14.04).

But when I check a box near a mod I want to install (I tried several like Final Frontier or Chatterer), the computer freeze for several minutes and after Ckan crash.

I can read this in terminal :

Stack overflow: IP: 0x7f0702413c95, fault addr: 0x7ffe20bb3f88
Stacktrace:
at <unknown> <0xfffffffff>

Do you know what is happening ?

My best guess is you're using mono 4 and it's generating this problem. See https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-GUI/pull/88

Yes, problem with all mods that i`ve tried to install with CKAN. In CKAN speed is 10-20kbps, but when i copy link from CKAN ("Installing mods" window) and paste it to InternetDownloadManager - speed is about 350-450KB/sec!

What is it without using a downloadmanager? Using downloadmanagers usually, at least when I last used one, split downloads into multiple parts and download incrementally. What is the speed when downloading through e.g. a browser in a single "strand" ?

---------

An update on FirespitterCore which I know we're all dying to get back. I have had multiple reports of it working and none so far of any problems save for the annoying pop-up at the start. I could re-activate the older version for now since it seems to be working but this _will_ trigger the same kind of warning that e.g. MechJeb 2.5.0 (non-dev build) generates right now. Opinions?

So I tried this out a bit, and I found it a bit confusing. I currently use KSP Mod Admin. What makes this manager better?

I have always used KSP Mod Admin since it had come out until recently. While trying to get mods to work together, I came across a thread that talked about a mod manager that can check for mod updates, pick and choose from the launcher itself, and it tells you what is required, suggested, and any conflicts. It is different in how you use it compared to other launchers of it's type, it won't take long to learn how to use though. I will try to give you a run-down on how to use it. Here is a video (not the one I used but it is pretty straight forward)

• It is a repository of mods, a database. Almost all the mods I use is using CKAN (its easy for modders!)
  • You choose the installation directory of your KSP and it detects the version. (even if it updates like in steam)
  • It only shows you the mods that is compatible or atleast working with the version of the KSP instance you have selected in CKAN (even if it is not showing in game that it is compatible, it is added if it still works!)
  • It tells you if the mod you are installing needs a dependency and installs it for you too.
  • Tells you if there is another mod installed that it conflicts with the mod you are installing.
  • You can refresh the list anytime to see new additions to the repository and use 'Filter' to show compatible, installed, updated, not-installed, and more to find mods and sort etc!

To use this, here is a quick run down.

1. Once you choose your installation directory, go to Manage Mods tab which shows you the list of mods compatible with the version you have (shows your ksp version in the top right)
  2. They will have Check Boxes. All you do is select the mods you want and do not select very many at once. At most, do 5 at a time.
  3. Once you have checks in boxes of a few mods you want to install first, at the top click the blue check mark next to "Go to Changes" and it shows you what you are installing, removing, updating, etc and click "Next" in the bottom right.
  4. It will suggest mods, you don't have to install those. If it requires or has dependencies, you will need those. Sometimes there are conflicts and it will just give you an error. Just go back and deselect the mods you have installed that conflict and try applying your changes again.
  5. If you select too many mods or updates at once, it will most likely give you an error, either TLS/SSL and asks to dismiss, or just an exception that you can click "continue" to not close the app. If this happens, just try selecting fewer mods and running the changes again.
  6. If you select several mods and the blue check mark for "Go to Changes" disappears or greys out, deselect mods one at a time until it shows the blue check mark. This usually indicates incompatible selection. I have noticed this with Astronomer's pack, when you select other mods + astronomer's Meta-package + the addons for it. If you are getting that with Astronomer's, deselect everything you checked to install and only check the Meta-Package and it will allow you to select which other Astronomer's addons you want to install.

Edited by CraveMode

Which mods are you missing?

Well, I say almost because I am not 100% sure all mods support CKAN yet. I have been out of the loop since 0.25, I skipped 0.90 and came back when 1.0 came out.

I am not sure if it has been suggested, but there is a feature I would love to see added to CKAN.

While 1.0.0/1.0.2 is new and mods are updating, I am constantly refreshing and having to go through the list of hundreds of mods to see what might be newly listed in the repository after a refresh. I have to see what I don't recognize. If there was a column that showed when the mod was added to the list for a certain version (if that is possible?) then I can just sort for new mods added to the repository or updates to the repository for that KSP version I have installed.

It is nice that i can Filter updated mods that I have installed, but I would love to see newly added/updated mods in the repository for that version! :)

CKAN just crashed at startup, i'm guessing it has something do to with an unsupported mod i installed before: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107802

Windows 7 64, KSP 1.0.2, CKAN 1.6.12.

I'm guessing that's not the problem, unless you get an error message specifically stating it to be the problem? ThrottleControlledAvionics 2.2.1 was indexed into CKAN for 1.0.2 just 2 hours ago, some 2 hours after it was released (if I'm reading the timestamps right).

What happens on startup? Can you issue commands through commandline?

What error message do you get?

An update on FirespitterCore which I know we're all dying to get back. I have had multiple reports of it working and none so far of any problems save for the annoying pop-up at the start. I could re-activate the older version for now since it seems to be working but this _will_ trigger the same kind of warning that e.g. MechJeb 2.5.0 (non-dev build) generates right now. Opinions?

There is also other mods arond that rally on firespitter like MKS/OKS, Adjustable landing gears, B9 procedural wings etc. Probably some more, but those are on top of my mind and there is reports for mentioned mods that are working properly with KSP 1.0.x

So, yes, even if it is not compleatly confirmed as "stable", firespitter should be added to database. At least more people wil ltest it and report any bug they come across with.

How do I get CKAN to recognize that I have uninstalled a mod I installed manually so I can add it through CKAN?

I went into my Gamedata folder and deleted the folder for Kerbal Inventory System so I could add it back through CKAN but when I launch CKAN it still shows KIS installed manually.

There is also other mods arond that rally on firespitter like MKS/OKS, Adjustable landing gears, B9 procedural wings etc. Probably some more, but those are on top of my mind and there is reports for mentioned mods that are working properly with KSP 1.0.x

So, yes, even if it is not compleatly confirmed as "stable", firespitter should be added to database. At least more people wil ltest it and report any bug they come across with.

The reason it is not in the database is because it has to be packaged as a compressed file, not a .dll file and it is up to the mod author to allow it to be distributed that way. Until he finds all the bugs and feels confident to call FireSpitter 1.0.2 worthy, he won't be distributing it in a compressed file from what he was saying on his thread.

Oh firespitter is already in the database but it's not marked for 1.0.x, this was due to a lot of people reporting errors through various channels and as such it was downgraded to 0.90 compatibility. Now with more data gathered, and other mods having similar problems with error pop-ups, it might be time to set it for 1.0.x again?

How do I get CKAN to recognize that I have uninstalled a mod I installed manually so I can add it through CKAN?

I went into my Gamedata folder and deleted the folder for Kerbal Inventory System so I could add it back through CKAN but when I launch CKAN it still shows KIS installed manually.

Have you done a refresh and/or 'ckan update' ?

--------------------------

EDIT: Everyone send your rep to RoverDude who just set us up with a recompiled firespitter.dll in a place CKAN can index it from. I just pushed it into the index and it should give no errors in 1.0.2 and be showing up in your modlists (together with all mods depending on it that have been marked for 1.0.x) upon the next refresh!

Edited by Dazpoet

I'm guessing that's not the problem, unless you get an error message specifically stating it to be the problem? ThrottleControlledAvionics 2.2.1 was indexed into CKAN for 1.0.2 just 2 hours ago, some 2 hours after it was released (if I'm reading the timestamps right).

What happens on startup? Can you issue commands through commandline?

What error message do you get?

Starting ckan, the black dosbox shows up (as always), then its in the taskbar. When i click on it nothing happens. Then it begins to open itself more times (taskbar hovering shows 4 instances). Again clickng on them does nothing. Its possible to close one after another without any error. When i try to close them all at once: unhandled exception by microsoft .net framework

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Spiele\Kerbal Space Program\CKAN\GUIConfig.xml' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
at CKAN.Configuration.SaveConfiguration(Configuration configuration, String path)
at CKAN.Main.Main_FormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Spiele/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/ckan.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Transactions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Starting ckan, the black dosbox shows up (as always), then its in the taskbar. When i click on it nothing happens. Then it begins to open itself more times (taskbar hovering shows 4 instances). Again clickng on them does nothing. Its possible to close one after another without any error. When i try to close them all at once: unhandled exception by microsoft .net framework

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Spiele\Kerbal Space Program\CKAN\GUIConfig.xml' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
at CKAN.Configuration.SaveConfiguration(Configuration configuration, String path)
at CKAN.Main.Main_FormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
ckan
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Spiele/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/ckan.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Microsoft.CSharp
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Transactions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Try this https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-support/wiki/Basic-troubleshooting#ckan-gui-starts-but-i-cant-see-any-gui-where-is-it

There's a fix in the works https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-GUI/pull/92