[0.90] Regolith - an open ISRU and Resource framework [0.1.7 - 2015.02.26]

RoverDude

why is there different mining parts for different resources/ orbital bodies?

One  to crush and grab hard rocks (ore), one  to grab mouldy grounds (substrate), one - to drill and suck out fluids (water, karbonite).

This is a nice framework. There is something I'd like to request about it.

Would it be possible to add a flag that you can set which switches all of the recipe number to be in units of mass rather than ingame resource units?

This came from when I balanced the civilian population resource rates. I want to be able to define the inputs and outputs in mass except when mass is invalid for an input (like electricity, sort of like this

//input string

//Resource,amount,unitisMass

//output string

//resource, amount,unitisMass,dumpExcess

recipeInputs = CarbonDioxide,.0001,true,ElectricCharge,1,false

recipeOutputs = Oxygen,.0001,true,false

Once that's set have the resource converter/broker use the density of the resource to calculate the amount of it to use. I'm seeing all of that community resource pack talk and I'm thinking that by the time it comes to update that I'll have to rebalance all of the converters so that they obey conservation of mass. I'd like to be able to avoid doing that.

Edit: I'd rather not have to inherit the converter to adjust this in my own plugin if it can be helped.

Hello RoverDude

It is surely a Regolith Issue (The upfront to this can be read in the K+ thread).

That asteroid weight approximately 78t.

I excavate and mine it (with excavator and inline laser miner and your ore and water drilling parts) till depleted (that's why it halted but I did noticed recently) and sending ore, karborundum and ISRU created LFO and others to another station with the kolony logistics of yours.

Each and every time I switching back and forth the emptied out asteroid suddenly get back to it's former glory and mass and have another 50t of excavatable gooodies inside of it.

It is nice and cheaty but surely not intended.

Anyway I am very happy to finaly managed to make it working.

Sure it was so standard.

Asteroid getting to Kerbin orbit.

Launched two miners first one withouth rego excavator. with stock claw. and MKS drills.

Second one with regolithexcavator and inline laser and K+ tanks.

Steps:

Mine till depleted and resources transfered out with kolony transfer system. 70+some ton of potato consist of 50+some% resource

Switch ships or get back to KSC.

Than switching back to the asteroid (or the miner itself) and booom Asteroid again 70+something ton. with the 50+something% resources.

Save File: Save File zipped here

Not so much just a test cariermod "early on"

Craft files (you maybe needing my OP iondrives for them.): Crafts zipped here

I think miner V2 is the regolithMiner attached second to the same asteroid.

Mod (unofficial not released nor planned to release it. Basicly just MM tweaks and some models reused, and or modelled by me therefore no other license just the YDTFYWWI = YouDoTheFcukYouWantWithIt license):

Tweaked: bateries became to generators, FS fuelswitch for tanks, added OP iondrives and something like that maybe needed for crafts as their lifters are ION thugs.

Mod Zipped Here

Edited by Ricardo79

I recently saw that it was possible to drill ore when flying. I came to me through my Civilian Population mod where I use regolith for the backend. I tested against MKS drills and they're effected too. Screenshots:

QlKf4Sl.png

AeRuf8M.png

Might want to look at this one.

Hey!

just a few questions:

1) i use karbonite and mks (and, thus Regolith). these implement asteroid resources? i don't need AMT/ART, right?

2) where can i find the lazers/claws? were these moved the AMT or ART?

3) is resource conversion mainly handled with .cfg's? i'd like to make my own converter, but i know nothing about writing code. if it requires compiling a .dll, its likely beyond my abilities.

Thanks!

Hey!

just a few questions:

1) i use karbonite and mks (and, thus Regolith). these implement asteroid resources? i don't need AMT/ART, right?

2) where can i find the lazers/claws? were these moved the AMT or ART?

3) is resource conversion mainly handled with .cfg's? i'd like to make my own converter, but i know nothing about writing code. if it requires compiling a .dll, its likely beyond my abilities.

Thanks!

You are going to want AMT for the drill parts etc. I believe ART is still full of bees

Hi, I couldn't find any documentation re how to use Regolith. Could someone point me to it? or an example mod that I could poke at to see how things work? I have no modding experience, I've peeked into some .cgf files. I'm interested in making some 'chemical reactors' using either ship or atmospheric resources. I guess it would make sense to separate the the 'in-take' part from the reactor part.

1. adviseable, but not recomended. MKS drills can mine water,ore...etc from the asteroids (if you find one having them). Standard NASA claw can hold your ship in place.

2. Regolith excavator ( and low profile claw too) and inline laser are in the AMT (advanced mining tech)

3. you can see examples in the MKS parts configs. The module

MODULE
{
name = KolonyConverter
ConverterName = Metals
StartActionName = Start Metals
StopActionName = Stop Metals
RecipeInputs = Ore, 0.51000, ElectricCharge, 6
RecipeOutputs = Metal, 0.51000, True
RequiredResources = Machinery,350
}

Is what you are to looking for. OR

(this one from the EPL conversion mod (tweeked):)

MODULE
{
name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter
ConverterName = Metal Smelter
StartActionName = Start Smelter
StopActionName = Stop Smelter
RecipeInputs = Ore, 1.0, ElectricCharge, 6
RecipeOutputs = Metal, 0.50, False
RequiredResources = Ore,1
}

I like to use the second one.

Each "....Name" parameter is free to change by your taste except the name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter.

For recipe inputs follow the path.

Resource, amount/s, secondresource, amount/s

For outputs 3 comaseparated stuff should present:

resource, amount/s, boolean

The boolean : true = dump (jettison) the surpluss. (I don't recomend that because in this way if the tanks are full and there is more of the basic resource, that is just wasted till you shut the converter off).

false means stop converting if full.

NOTICE: if you recipeoutputs 2 or more the converter will stop after one of them fullfilled your tanks (if every resource bool set to false)

Thanks, Ricardo79!

i primarily play sandbox mode, so recovering Rare/Exotic MKS materials for funds is pointless for me. I want to make a converter that turns them into building/refueling materials.

i probably know the answer to these next questions, but its worth saying aloud in case anyone else is wondering too:

the amount/s refers to units, not mass? to make a separate part, the model, texture, and config need to have the same name (as well as the config containing all the standard part info)? (i'll be "making" parts through a lot of copy&paste)

questions i definitely don't know the answer to:

is the rate of depletion configurable? i'd like the resources to last as long as possible. (i don't want my sandbox to run out of sand!)

and, completely unrelated to this mod, do more asteroids spawn eventually?

thanks again for the help!

and, Roverdude: Thanks for all your hard work, you've made ksp at least 2.3 times more awesome!

Thanks, Ricardo79!

1. to make a separate part, the model, texture, and config need to have the same name (as well as the config containing all the standard part info)? (i'll be "making" parts through a lot of copy&paste)

2. is the rate of depletion configurable? i'd like the resources to last as long as possible. (i don't want my sandbox to run out of sand!)

I can't speak to a lot of what you're asking about, but I can at least speak to these -

1. Definitely not - they can all be named whatever you want if you're starting from scratch. The name of the part's cfg file especially doesn't matter - you can verify this be renaming any old "part.cfg" you find to "2390850_BoRPanerojADN.cfg" and it will still load. I am pretty sure that the texture names just have to correspond to whatever is set by the model (referenced in the .mu) - so if you're making your own model, if you have your model refer to "ThisTexture.png", then your texture file ought to be named the same unless you use placeholder textures, I think, though I'm not entirely sure how they work yet. Even then, I believe you still need to have textures somewhere that are named the same as the .mu requests. Lots of mods use placeholder textures, SXT is one that uses lots of placeholders (just for example).

So if you're copying the .mu/cfg of an already-existing part, you should keep its textures' names the same (or use placeholders to point to the original's textures, if you want to do it that way). Just change the name of the part in the cfg so it doesn't conflict with the original, of course.

2. If I've understood your question (might not have on this one) : Right now, anyway, resources from Regolith's system don't deplete, they're just more or less concentrated at this or that spot.

Hope that helps!

you are welcome

Asteroids are not scarce, but I suspect they spamming indeed. I got exception error for an asteroidspammer (?function?) right after the game informed me to lost one due to not tracking it for too long.

If you start tracking them you will find more and more maybe there is a limit but I didn't reached it and tracking more than I could process in any way :D

Amount is unit (but Regolith using precise masses for every resource in it's cfg therefore it is related to masses too as one unit is "X" mass always. But the converters using units and not 'ton'-age nor weight)

For "naming" AccidentalDisassembly gave you the perfect answer For texture and model names.

The config has the first

part
{
name=partname
}

That partname must be unique that is The ID of the given part from the gamengines perspective. Please note there is another name for modules Those are too hardcoded, and there is a "title = " for parts which can be seen by players ingame.

for the 3d object representing the part:

mesh = model.mu

What you gave here must be the model files name.

But you can call the cfg file anywhat you like. (I do like to have naming conventions for easier to find it purpose, but that is a personal preference only.)

I am re-read your post. And suddernly realises I might have missunderstand your question. So try to answer for that (too).

If you copy and paste a part:

Worst but easiest way to copy-rename the directory. and just change the "Partname" see nr.1 code block. NO other thing should be changed yet and you have to have 2 of the same part ingame.

than you can change it's title for yourself to can make a distinction between the original and yours. After that you can change other parameters you'd like changing.

In this way the same model the same textures on another name with another parameters should be present ingame.

You might get help from this wiki:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation

Rate of depletion... hmmm. Did you mean it about asteroids??? That should be hardcoded related to mass. I am almost sure RoverDude wrote it that way rightly.

About other rego resources A.D. gave the answer well they are not depleting but one spot is better than other for mine it. You can use scansat with a multispectral analisys to let it inform you about the percentages for example of the ore in the given planetoid.

For asteroid I noticed, when excavating heavy stuff like uraninite it makes the mass lowered faster than excavating lighter stuff, so faster depletion for heavier resources. It is not a statement, but I kinda noticed it. RoverDude could give you a perfect answer for that.

You can take a peek about masses into the regolith's cfg.

poked around in the cfg's a bit. couldn't figure anything out, so i figured i should build a rocket in stead. :P

making those parts shouldn't be too hard, but i probably don't need to go messing with anything else until i know what i'm doing. besides, the way i play, 1.0 will be out before any asteroids run out of goods.

but thanks for all the advice. honestly, its games, and communities, like this that make me want to learn how to write code and make mods.

so, one last round of questions: what are the preferred programs for modelling/textures/fx? compiling/decompiling dll's?

Thanks!

I was going to create a Github issue about this, but wasn't sure where this was going post 1.0 release. so I figured I'd throw it here.

Is there any plans at this time to include a way in game to see and change/reset your game regolith game seed? Since large portions of this are getting baked into stock, I would imagine that adding a section to the debug menu would work.

as it stands it's not an easy thing to get to and change if you are testing configs and want to verify that changes work across multiple seeds. (Or just want to try for a seed that actually gives you K+ in a harvestable solar region :wink:)

poked around in the cfg's a bit. couldn't figure anything out, so i figured i should build a rocket in stead. :P

making those parts shouldn't be too hard, but i probably don't need to go messing with anything else until i know what i'm doing. besides, the way i play, 1.0 will be out before any asteroids run out of goods.

but thanks for all the advice. honestly, its games, and communities, like this that make me want to learn how to write code and make mods.

so, one last round of questions: what are the preferred programs for modelling/textures/fx? compiling/decompiling dll's?

Thanks!

Preferred? What you can use!

But a list of usefull ones:

For 3d art: 3dstudio max (I was working with this), blender, even Maya.

for 2d art: Photoshop, Gimp, even windows paint (I don't recomend it though.)

For conversion of models into .mu you need the KSP part tools (you can get it from this forum). And of course a 4.x.x blender (now. For 1.0 I don't know unity 5 is out there)

I am not much of a c++ programmer. But I know visual c++ should give you the best tool for coding and creating the dll's.

For decompiling I don't have a clue about.

Depleting an asteroid is not a big task with an excavator, a inline laser and with some timeacceleration it is about five minute if you mine heawy stuff like uraninite or K+. But you have way more asteroids inside your game than you can handle. I think the game spams them for me it seems like those question marks steadily growing inside trackview as soon as I start tracking them.

And I think regolith is the one which has a bug now. about switching back and forth from trackview or mapview from another vessel and the formerly depleted asteroid gain back it's original weight and resources. For me at least. Maybe it is an incompatibility or I don't know. But I haven't heard about it from anybody else here.

Is there any documentation on how to (re)configure Regolith?

I just tried MKS/OKS mod and was unpleasantly shocked to find that:

1) Kerbin "Water" biome have scarce water in crust and ZERO water in actual water.

2) Mun have water resource in huge plain openings of giant craters and does not have it in narrow fissures (Canyons)

3) Minmus, which is described as iceball, have no water in most biomes.

Haven't checked Duna for CO2 atmospere and water at icecaps, but almost sure it's not there.

All that nonsense was produced by random resource generation, I suppose.

Is there any way to tell Regolith which biomes must have which resources?

I mean something like this:

[table=width: 600, class: grid, align: center]

[tr]

[td]Water density[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Planet[/td]

[td]Abundant[/td]

[td]Decent[/td]

[td]Scarce[/td]

[td]None[/td]

[td]Random (decent)[/td]

[td]Random (scarce)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]Water,Poles[/td]

[td]All other biomes[/td]

[td]Desert,Badlands[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mun[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]Polar lowlands[/td]

[td]Highland craters, Canyons[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Minmus[/td]

[td]All biomes[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Duna[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]Poles[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]Craters[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Explanation:

Water is pretty abundant on Kerbin. And kerbals know where to find it.

Mun is barren planet with no atmosphere. Freezing nights, scorching days and vacuum around. Small amounts of water (ice) could resist evaporation only in eternal shadows of deepest craters and fissures, especially polar craters. But that's just an assumption.

Minmus is an iceball. Literally. Be fast to mine ice until it evaporates.

Duna is pretty arid. Polar caps are thin. Small amount of ice could persist at craters... possibly...

[table=width: 600, class: grid, align: center]

[tr]

[td]Ore density[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Planet[/td]

[td]Abundant[/td]

[td]Decent[/td]

[td]Scarce[/td]

[td]None[/td]

[td]Random (decent)[/td]

[td]Random (scarce)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]Mountains[/td]

[td]Highlands[/td]

[td]Water,Poles[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mun[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]crater biomes[/td]

[td]non-crater biomes[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Minmus[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]All biomes[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Duna[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]All biomes[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[td]...[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Explanation:

Kerbals do know where to mine and where to not mine on Kerbin. They are smelting metal for rocket parts afterall.

Mun is small light planetoid thus unlikely to have any rich deposits, but you may find remnants of ore-rich impacted asteroids within craters... or may not - if those were icy-type.

Ore can be present on Minmus only in form of small asteroids, impacted and frozen in ice (bigger asteroids woulds have broken Minmus apart). No predictions of where you can find those.

Duna is heavier then Mun and its rusty color speaks of iron deposits being there... But WHERE?

Edited by Dr. Jet

Actually, Kerbin water has a 100% chance to have water :P

But odds are you're not using an oceanic extractor, especially since an oceanic extractor does not come with MKS.

For the rest, it's the RNG. Easy enough to put additional resources out there, tho. But not to remove ones put there by other mods, etc. (which is by design).

Here's an example of a biome override for the Duna poles:

//Resource types:

// 0 = Crustal (Stuff you dig up)

// 1 = Oceanic (Stuff in the oceans)

// 2 = Atmospheric (Stuff in the air, varies with pressure)

// 3 = Interplanetary (Stuff you find between planets)

//

REGO_BIOME_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Water

ResourceType = 0

PlanetName = Duna

BiomeName = Poles

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 100

MinAbundance = 5

MaxAbundance = 20

Variance = 10

Dispersal = 3

}

}

Here's an example of a biome override for the Duna poles:

//Resource types:

// 0 = Crustal (Stuff you dig up)

// 1 = Oceanic (Stuff in the oceans)

// 2 = Atmospheric (Stuff in the air, varies with pressure)

// 3 = Interplanetary (Stuff you find between planets)

//

REGO_BIOME_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Water

ResourceType = 0

PlanetName = Duna

BiomeName = Poles

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 100

MinAbundance = 5

MaxAbundance = 20

Variance = 10

Dispersal = 3

}

}

So... This is not supposed to be MM compliant, right? How will Regolith treat collisions when two different REGO_BIOME_RESOURCE are provided for the same resource at same biome (from different mods)?

MinAbundance/MaxAbundance - minimal value is zero and maximum is?

Variance/Dispersal - those should treat inside-of-biome randomization, right? What are min/max values of those parameters and what do they influence exactly? For example I want to have small local deposits while most of the terrain have zero yield (ore on Minmus).

MinAbundance = 0

MaxAbundance = 10

Variance = ?

Dispersal = ?

It takes a biome config over a planetary config over a global config.

If there are duplicates (two biome configs, etc.) it will take the most optimistic combination of both. This is done explicitly to prevent people from releasing stuff that turns off resources in other mods, which is kinda a jerk move anyway.

Min/Max Abundance is 0-100%. Variance is how 'spiky' the resource is (a more gradual gradient or a more pronounced one). Dispersal is how large or small those spikes are. Lower dispersal means fewer 'spikes', with very wide gradients. The min/max of those gradients is tied to variance.