[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

23 hours ago, pap1723 said:

I have provided configs for the files to organize the Fuel Tanks Plus as well as SpaceY parts, but I am running into problems with SpaceY. With the way you implemented the tech tree additions, I am having trouble overwriting them within the config file. Would you be willing to add a NEEDS:!HPTechTree exception in your file to not add the new nodes if my Tree is installed?

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Yeah, this is fixable from either side. Technically you would just need to make sure everything executes after any mods that modify themselves, so if your rules had something like ":FOR[zzzHPTechTree]", it would go after pretty much everything else. But having said that, I'm happy to add a " !HPTechTree " for the NEEDS rules. :) I'll push out an update pretty soon, since I'm sitting on some other minor tweaks too.

Updated:

1.13.1 (2016-08-01) - Tweaks.
 - Icon-only shroud added to fairing base, for easy identification in menu.
 - 5m conical bay added to custom parts tab.
 - Added MM "NEEDS" conditionals to RemoteTech modules in probe cores, and moved to separate patch file.
 - Deadly Reentry patch file renamed to sort properly in the folder.
 - Added a compatibility exclusion for HPTechTree.

@pap1723, I just noticed your question in the MM thread too. I didn't add an exclusion to tech node additions themselves, but it looks like you probably want that too. They gave a good answer about how to delete them, though. The reason I've been leaving those in, even if other mods are detected, is so that they still exist to hook into for the Sea Dragon, and for Real Scale Boosters, if those are installed too. But I can probably tweak the settings some more if it still causes problems.

9 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Cosmetic bug:  I put a short 5m tank on top of the long 5m tank.  The rotation angles of the skin don't match up.

Screenshot? Were you placing it on top of a radially mounted tank? Sometimes if they're not aligned radially, placing something on top will give it a slightly different rotation. If building in a straight stack, things should line up pretty well.

58 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Screenshot? Were you placing it on top of a radially mounted tank? Sometimes if they're not aligned radially, placing something on top will give it a slightly different rotation. If building in a straight stack, things should line up pretty well.

It was an asparagus booster, nothing strange about it.  I don't have it anymore, Mechjeb couldn't handle the low TWR of the upper stage.  While the rocket could have reached Minmus as built I would have had to hand-fly it to orbit, it wasn't worth it.

12 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It was an asparagus booster, nothing strange about it.  I don't have it anymore, Mechjeb couldn't handle the low TWR of the upper stage.  While the rocket could have reached Minmus as built I would have had to hand-fly it to orbit, it wasn't worth it.

Yeah, the tanks were probably just rotated a little if they were in asparagus configuration. I'll be that's all it was.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah, the tanks were probably just rotated a little if they were in asparagus configuration. I'll be that's all it was.

I do agree they were simply rotated but I think you misunderstand--each piece of asparagus was a tall 5m tank with a short 5m tank on top of it.  The overall mission was to land a tall 7.5m tank on Minmus and recover the crane that did it.  That design proved to have too low a TWR in the crane so MechJeb couldn't get it in orbit.  I replaced the short 5m tank with a tall one and it looked correct.

On 8/6/2016 at 1:35 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

I do agree they were simply rotated but I think you misunderstand--each piece of asparagus was a tall 5m tank with a short 5m tank on top of it.  The overall mission was to land a tall 7.5m tank on Minmus and recover the crane that did it.  That design proved to have too low a TWR in the crane so MechJeb couldn't get it in orbit.  I replaced the short 5m tank with a tall one and it looked correct.

Everything lines up for me, so I'm afraid I'd need to see a screenshot to do anything further.

I had been telling myself I didn't need bigger rockets, but here am. I even got SpaceY Expanded to fill out the Community Tech Tree some more.

I love the switchable textures, interstage thrust plates, and your sense for balancing as well as filling in some glaring niches in the stock parts (eg. nosecone tanks, Kiwi engine, and pretty much all the SRBs). Though I might say the parts look a little too 'flat' and clean? More contrast in the textures (darker greys/blacks, particularly the engine bells) and some weathering like the occasional scratch might improve the look drastically, in my opinion.

Any chance of texture-swapping options for the adapters and 3m cones, like the fuel tanks have?

Edit: Noticed the Emu engine clips into things its attached to. Going by the design of the rim it looks like it's supposed to, but this can lead to some Z-fighting with parts of equal radial size.

fefc8ec6e4.png

Edited by Guest

On 8/12/2016 at 11:49 PM, String Witch said:

I love the switchable textures, interstage thrust plates, and your sense for balancing as well as filling in some glaring niches in the stock parts (eg. nosecone tanks, Kiwi engine, and pretty much all the SRBs). Though I might say the parts look a little too 'flat' and clean? More contrast in the textures (darker greys/blacks, particularly the engine bells) and some weathering like the occasional scratch might improve the look drastically, in my opinion.

Any chance of texture-swapping options for the adapters and 3m cones, like the fuel tanks have?

Edit: Noticed the Emu engine clips into things its attached to. Going by the design of the rim it looks like it's supposed to, but this can lead to some Z-fighting with parts of equal radial size.

Actually there's a reason for the "flat" appearance. The patterning within the textures is kept simple and homogenous, because of the tiling and sharing that's used, to keep the textures very small and reusable among the parts. Any scratches or other noticeable marks would get repeated all the way around the tank, and draw your eye to how the texture is tiled. The efficient texture sharing was more important prior to the 64-bit versions of KSP becoming viable, and now it's less of an issue, but people still routinely install enormous amounts of memory-eating mods, so I try to stick to my old way of keeping the memory footprint low.

Texture swapping on the cones and adapters is probably doable. I can think about adding that. :)

Emu clipping? Huh, I might need to take a look. There's very little that should be clipping by design, in general. EDIT: OK, I think I see what you're talking about. The wide (default) base extends about 0.075m above the attachment node. That should be pretty fixable. I just need to decide if I'm moving the node up, or bringing the mesh down. :)

This screenshot isn't centered on the interface, but I have the top of the mesh brought down just a tad, to match the attachment node. The rest of the mesh is unchanged, so basically that upper portion (the engine base) is just slightly squashed. It's a very subtle change, but it's more accurate now:

KSP%202016-08-16%2010-37-07-61.jpg

5 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Actually there's a reason for the "flat" appearance. The patterning within the textures is kept simple and homogenous, because of the tiling and sharing that's used, to keep the textures very small and reusable among the parts. Any scratches or other noticeable marks would get repeated all the way around the tank, and draw your eye to how the texture is tiled. The efficient texture sharing was more important prior to the 64-bit versions of KSP becoming viable, and now it's less of an issue, but people still routinely install enormous amounts of memory-eating mods, so I try to stick to my old way of keeping the memory footprint low.

I see. I thought that may be why after seeing your Blender workflow video. I agree it's still worth keeping memory footprint low even in 64-bit.

when I launched ksp after 6 months, the 5m parts had Z fighting so I went through your troubleshooting check list, I was halfway through the list when I managed to delete the entire Game Data file, after reinstalling the Game Data folder and my mods(DMagicOrbital Science, KJR, MechJeb, MRS, LET Space Y, Space Y Expanded, TweackScale, Community Tech Tree, and Interstellar Fuel Switch).  KSP won't load the Heavy lifter parts pack, but loads the Expanded parts.  I have tried a clean install of both mods.  

12 hours ago, Tonewyork said:

Never mind, when I updated Community tech tree the location of certain parts changed and I didn't have the techs unlocked yet.

Awesome, glad it all worked out. :)

9 hours ago, subyng said:

Is there a way to adjust engine volume for these engines? They are WAY too loud compared to stock.

Not in-game, unless you want to turn down all sound effects. But there's probably a way to do it with an MM config. Like this perhaps? (untested)

@PART[SYengine*]:FINAL
{
	@EFFECTS
	{
		@running*,*
		{
			@AUDIO
			{
				// Cut volume in half
				@volume,*[1] *= 0.5
			}
		}
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

@NecroBones,

Are the thrust plate shrouds hard-coded so that shortening them past a certain amount isn't possible?  Specifically, I want a 5m thrust plate with a shroud length (or height?) short enough to proportionally be the same as that of the Saturn V first/second stage interstage adapter.  My attempts at modding the SpaceY plates haven't been very successful:

http://imgur.com/a/KFOrR

This is the MM patch for the first thrust plate used, the SYplate3m1mX5:

+PART[SYplate3m1mX5]:AFTER[SpaceY-Lifters]
{

@name = SYplate5m1mX5

@rescaleFactor = 1.32

@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom01 = 0.884, -0.2, 0.884, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom02 = 0.884, -0.2, -0.884, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom03 = -0.884, -0.2, -0.884, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom04 = -0.884, -0.2, 0.884, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom1 = 0.0, -12.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4
@node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -2.5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

//TechRequired = composites
//entryCost = 15000
//cost = 2500

@title = SpaceY A5-1-V Interstage Thrust Plate

@description = (5m to 5x 1.25m) Customize your engine clusters, in either an upper-stage, or lower-stage configuration.

@mass = 0.8

@bulkheadProfiles = size2, size4

}

Originally the _bottom1 and _bottom2 nodes weren't changed too much, but that left the shroud still too long, so after severaI tweaks I went to the listed values and ended up with what you see in the first three  screenshots.

This is the MM patch for the otherr thrust plate used, SYplate5m3mX1:

+PART[SYplate5m3mX1]:AFTER[SpaceY-Lifters]
{

@name = SYplate5m3mX1B

@rescaleFactor = 0.98

@node_stack_bottom1 = 0.0, -4.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4

//TechRequired = metaMaterials
//entryCost = 8000
//cost = 2000
@title = SpaceY A5-3-B Interstage Adapter

@description = (5m to 3.75m, B Version) Customize your engine clusters, in either an upper-stage (with fairing), or lower-stage configuration.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

//attachRules = 1,0,1,0,1

//mass = 0.8

}

This results what you see in the last two screenshots.

The second screenshot shows the exact length of the shroud I want, but as you can see the decoupler somehow ended up way below the shroud, as though it reverted back to the original distance.

Edited by Laguna

9 hours ago, Laguna said:

@NecroBones,

Are the thrust plate shrouds hard-coded so that shortening them past a certain amount isn't possible?  Specifically, I want a 5m thrust plate with a shroud length (or height?) short enough to proportionally be the same as that of the Saturn V first/second stage interstage adapter.  My attempts at modding the SpaceY plates haven't been very successful:

http://imgur.com/a/KFOrR

[snip]

This results what you see in the last two screenshots.

The second screenshot shows the exact length of the shroud I want, but as you can see the decoupler somehow ended up way below the shroud, as though it reverted back to the original distance.

Just so I understand, the plan is to change the shroud length, in proportion to the diameter? OK cool. There's no limit enforced (that I'm aware of) for how much scaling you can do in the CFG. What you would probably need to do is alter the "MODEL { }" section's scale, and mess with the "Y" value. All of the attachment nodes would then need to be adjusted with the same multiplier on their Ys. That will of course change the length of the shroud AND the plate itself. Sadly I don't think there's a way currently to dynamically stretch the shroud by itself, based on the node positions.

Otherwise, when changing just the "rescaleFactor" you shouldn't need to alter the nodes at all, since everything is scaling proportionately, including the nodes.

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Just so I understand, the plan is to change the shroud length, in proportion to the diameter? OK cool. There's no limit enforced (that I'm aware of) for how much scaling you can do in the CFG. What you would probably need to do is alter the "MODEL { }" section's scale, and mess with the "Y" value. All of the attachment nodes would then need to be adjusted with the same multiplier on their Ys. That will of course change the length of the shroud AND the plate itself. Sadly I don't think there's a way currently to dynamically stretch the shroud by itself, based on the node positions.

Otherwise, when changing just the "rescaleFactor" you shouldn't need to alter the nodes at all, since everything is scaling proportionately, including the nodes.

What I want to is merely shorten the shroud length; currently the normal 5m plates have a shroud as long as that 5m tank in the screenshots, not good when you're making a Saturn V. :)  I

Simply scaling the 3m plate to 5m size also moves the  lower node farther away.  I can make the shroud somewhat shorter by lowering the node's "Y" value, but it's still too long.  So then I severely reduced the value, and ended up with what you see in the pictures:  either the decoupler in the middle of the shroud or way below it with this huge gap in between.

I'll try adustng the MODEL Y value; I'm not worried about altering the appearance of the plate itself, as most of it will be clipped into the tank anyway (the reason I didn't scale them to exactly 5m, wanted to hide the ugly "caution tape" ring).

Been using this and SpaceY Expanded to prototype reusable rockets for my KSP Dark Multiplayer career:

The only bits that are missing for me are some heavier struts (for the moment I have pillaged a few parts from KW Rocketry) and a few more fuel-filled adapter and angled cone options from 7.5 to 5 to 3.75m.

Edited by Senior Slaphead
Fixed link.

On 9/2/2016 at 11:34 AM, Laguna said:

What I want to is merely shorten the shroud length; currently the normal 5m plates have a shroud as long as that 5m tank in the screenshots, not good when you're making a Saturn V. :)  I

Simply scaling the 3m plate to 5m size also moves the  lower node farther away.  I can make the shroud somewhat shorter by lowering the node's "Y" value, but it's still too long.  So then I severely reduced the value, and ended up with what you see in the pictures:  either the decoupler in the middle of the shroud or way below it with this huge gap in between.

I'll try adustng the MODEL Y value; I'm not worried about altering the appearance of the plate itself, as most of it will be clipped into the tank anyway (the reason I didn't scale them to exactly 5m, wanted to hide the ugly "caution tape" ring).

OK cool. Yeah, the shroud can't be scaled independently from the plate, not without splitting them into separate models or something. But playing with the MODEL Y should get you closer to what you're trying to do.

On 9/4/2016 at 0:16 PM, Smart Parts Wanter said:

Hello,

Cant seem to find the cargo bays (not service) for 5m & 7.5m? What category are they under? Or full name so I can search

They're under Specialized Construction, rather than with the tanks. These are the conical payload bays, in 5m and 3.75m. Otherwise there's the service bays, in Meta-materials.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.