WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Just to help with the debug process (no pressure or anything like that), I still have the "big blue box around kerbin with your latest WIP (one hour ago).

There is also a big blue ceiling effect that spawn around 10 km up and follow you (stay just above you) up.

This with a vanilla KSP with only latest EVE WIP.

(Do you need some screen shots to illustrate or is this enough description ?)

Volumetric clouds are nice (very nice), as always :D. 2D distant clouds' texture is a bit low res (at mid range) but I kind of remember that it is due to some KSP limitation, so no biggie. And still overly better than no clouds at all.

Keep up the marvellous work (at your own pace) !

The box issue is from some unknown occurrence that I have yet to figure out. Re-apply the layers (alt+e, hit "apply") after you load a vessel and you should be good. Seems to re-set if you go back to the space center.

Rbray I do not remember if I asked about this earlier but...can be used NRM maps over the terrain textures?

If not, will be possible in the future?

Not yet, but it is one of the many things I want to address.

Grabbing a dev version right now. Is it possible to make the blue glow (see first image from your album) less prominent?

ALT+E and mess with atmosphere parameters :) I'll post a guide or video when I get everything setup.

I get this in OpenGL mode

http://i.imgur.com/2NJjG2d.jpg

If I rotate the camera I can make the uncovered circle bigger or smaller. At a certain angle it completely disappears.

Does this *only* happen with OpenGL? Does it go away if you use ALT+E and hit apply?

Does this *only* happen with OpenGL? Does it go away if you use ALT+E and hit apply?

I cannot run in DX mode due to the number of mods. Hitting apply does nothing. I also get concentric circles on Kerbin in Tracking Station (but it is a known artifact of forced aniso in OpenGL)

@rbray89

What is this alt+E you talk off? I hope its not meta+E, cause it would conflict terribly with trim controls.

That it does :P I have to re-map it at some point, but for testing it works.

Any reason why the water is so blue? Is that editable? I'd love to see if I could fade it, Until Blackrack gets his own water ship-shape :). HA! Get it!! Ship shape... hehe... heh. F5CB59F85FB1C445802CFC85204269D9C02FADB4

The box issue is from some unknown occurrence that I have yet to figure out. Re-apply the layers (alt+e, hit "apply") after you load a vessel and you should be good. Seems to re-set if you go back to the space center.

Not yet, but it is one of the many things I want to address.

ALT+E and mess with atmosphere parameters :) I'll post a guide or video when I get everything setup.

Rbray I confirm this ONLY happens to me in openGL mode, switched over to DirectX and have not had that issue with the blue box.

Did not know about the reapplying layers, but will try it when i get home with OpenGL and see if that fixes it.

Any reason why the water is so blue? Is that editable? I'd love to see if I could fade it, Until Blackrack gets his own water ship-shape :). HA! Get it!! Ship shape... hehe... heh. http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/885234158935968876/F5CB59F85FB1C445802CFC85204269D9C02FADB4/

Yup! just navigate the GUI to the ocean settings. There you should find color and depth settings.

Latest version (with KSPRC configs) + scatterer (without EVE atmo): http://imgur.com/a/niokn

I find it pretty amazing. Many thanks Rbray, it's simply wonderful and extremely funny.

I've found that all DDS textures works prefectly, with the exception of the "main" ones which must remain as PNG if you want them to remain transparent. Is that an expected behaviour?

Proot, that is absolutely amazing. Amazing! - I sent you a second email following up on that donation, not sure if you got it or not.

The DDS Loader squad implements makes all textures unreadable, so the main texture must be PNG (or ATM must be used) to ensure it will load as readable for volumetric clouds.

THAT'S why it didn't work! I manually converted the .png clouds from your old EVE pack and I found that after converting the clouds where a continual haze over head regardless of whether or not (haha "weather or not") clouds were present. I figured it was the conversion. Thanks for confirming.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

The DDS Loader squad implements makes all textures unreadable, so the main texture must be PNG (or ATM must be used) to ensure it will load as readable for volumetric clouds.

The only thing I rly miss are your cloud shadows. I use "DetailDist = 0" to create fake procedural clouds, so your shadows disappears.

Would be amazing to have shadows casted from the detail texture ("cuted" by the main texture, of course).

The only thing I rly miss are your cloud shadows. I use "DetailDist = 0" to create fake procedural clouds, so your shadows disappears.

Would be amazing to have shadows casted from the detail texture ("cuted" by the main texture, of course).

Soooo many things I want to do. So little time :)

I actually manually added my own cloud shadows to the Sept. 4 old EVE download. I can give you a copy if you want one Proot :). I just duplicated the Kerbin (and Laythe) cloud config "string" and set it to load the cloud texture (which I offset by 10 pixels so the shadows are shifted over), and set it to not load volumetric.

I'm thinking of doing this technique again to add a second layer of very sparse clouds again on top, to simulate cirrostratus/high atmospheric clouds too (the same effect as Jool with two layers of cloud but on Kerbin w/ small cloudlets). I can give you a download and a few pics when I get home Proot of you want that.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Latest version (with KSPRC configs) + scatterer (without EVE atmo): http://imgur.com/a/niokn

I find it pretty amazing. Many thanks Rbray, it's simply wonderful and extremely funny.

I've found that all DDS textures works prefectly, with the exception of the "main" ones which must remain as PNG if you want them to remain transparent. Is that an expected behaviour?

Bravo proot, bravo! those are some of the best damn images I've ever seen of KSP!

On that note, which build of the Overhaul are you using in them? I wasn't able to change many features of the water when I last tried?

Edited by pingopete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.