WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

An interesting way you could make less tiled terrain could be through using city maps as terrain, were you have multiple checkerboard-style alpha maps that set on top each other, each having a different corresponding texture.

E.g. each color represents a different texture map and a different corresponding texture:

http://www.quadibloc.com/other/images/ccd10.gif

The reason this hasn't been done yet is mainly due to RAM. Loading six different textures which are literally alternating white and transparent space would eat up RAM.

Best of luck with your new model Rbray :)

It isn't just ram... It is using multiple different textures that all tile with each other that is also very tough :)

I don't know how possible this would be within KSP, but one clever solution I've seen for killing terrain tiling is to use a single texture that will tile seamlessly to itself from any orientation, or if flipped.

Then, you make each tile pick a random x/y flip and rotation (increments of 90 degrees, in case that wasn't obvious).

Edited by Rybec

Alright... What am I doing wrong here rbray? I'm trying to put atmospheric effects onto Laythe and I'm getting this visual bug. I've tried messing with the settings and haven't been able to get it to go away. None of the other planets that have atmosphere effects on them have been doing this.

VU8oHV4.png

dhPRlwg.png

Edit:

I should also add I'm getting really bad frame rates with the atmosphere enabled here as well...

Fixed that with a reload, still have the weird visual issues though.

Edited by Nhawks17

Im using RSS , are there any cloud packs or custom configs I can download? I dont like to fiddle with the ALT-E its too scary and buggy. Also it was recommended I get Scatterer for this, but I dont know what Scatterer is doing that makes me need the mod. Can someone help me?

Hi Rbray. I get all surfaces pink with the last update. With the stock configs and with my configs. In DirectX and in OpenGL. Is planned or is just temporary?

This is temporary... One of the side effects of compiling with different KSP. I can re-release it using the current KSP version if you need.

Hey rbray, just wondering what file format should I be using for the terrain bump map texture? and what detail scale is it linked too? I'm currently only using the midTex option. I've tried using png grey scale image but nothing seems to have any effect in game :(

EDIT: btw this is in the version before the most recent, I haven't tried it out yet

So it is already for 1.0.5? :confused:

Do it as you wish. If is too annoying I can wait, of course.

I just was anxious for see the changes. ;)

It will be ready within a day of 1.0.5, provided I can get configs setup for a companion default clouds pack. I'm focusing on getting Cloud shadows working properly, then onto a "beta", then a general release. Initially I won't be shipping any of the terrain or atmosphere stuff, as none of it is even close to being ready prime time :(

In the meantime, I figured out a way to render city lights without replacing the terrain shader, and I'm doing that now. The only downside seems to be that I now need to figure out how to get the cloud shadows to render onto the city lights.

Hey rbray, just wondering what file format should I be using for the terrain bump map texture? and what detail scale is it linked too? I'm currently only using the midTex option. I've tried using png grey scale image but nothing seems to have any effect in game :(

EDIT: btw this is in the version before the most recent, I haven't tried it out yet

Bump map should be standard RG normalmap. Keep in mind that it is barely functional right now.

It will be ready within a day of 1.0.5, provided I can get configs setup for a companion default clouds pack. I'm focusing on getting Cloud shadows working properly, then onto a "beta", then a general release. Initially I won't be shipping any of the terrain or atmosphere stuff, as none of it is even close to being ready prime time :(

In the meantime, I figured out a way to render city lights without replacing the terrain shader, and I'm doing that now. The only downside seems to be that I now need to figure out how to get the cloud shadows to render onto the city lights.

Truth is, since time ago, I play more with your mod than to KSP in itself. So I check the Git a lot... :blush:

Terrains can be changed via Kopernicus too, so no rush at all. (but could be cool to be able to change the oceans without change the terrains)

The atmospheric scattering can be faked as always and, in Kerbin, Scatterer Mod can be used too. So again, no rush with the atmos.

The clouds shadows seems to work perfectly at PQS level (well, in opengl some patterns appears, but it's not a serious problem).

I just miss three things:

1) the capability of overcome a color value over the 255 and over the darkness, to create old effects like the auroras and others.

2) the feature to add shine to the bodies at map scales (disappeared some versions ago)

3) the capability of "stack" layers (regardless of the height values). That could do possible several new effects, like tornadoes or geysers (and allows to fake the clouds shadows at macro scales, while you figures how to finish the new shadow system).

Anyways the WIP version is a great achievement and this will be an amazing mod.:D

Truth is, since time ago, I play more with your mod than to KSP in itself. So I check the Git a lot... :blush:

Terrains can be changed via Kopernicus too, so no rush at all. (but could be cool to be able to change the oceans without change the terrains)

The atmospheric scattering can be faked as always and, in Kerbin, Scatterer Mod can be used too. So again, no rush with the atmos.

The clouds shadows seems to work perfectly at PQS level (well, in opengl some patterns appears, but it's not a serious problem).

I just miss three things:

1) the capability of overcome a color value over the 255 and over the darkness, to create old effects like the auroras and others.

2) the feature to add shine to the bodies at map scales (disappeared some versions ago)

3) the capability of "stack" layers (regardless of the height values). That could do possible several new effects, like tornadoes or geysers (and allows to fake the clouds shadows at macro scales, while you figures how to finish the new shadow system).

Anyways the WIP version is a great achievement and this will be an amazing mod.:D

I can take care of 1 & 3, but 2 might be difficult. Do you mean shine as in body glow?

Yup! Everything goes dark as it does in real-life :)

On a related topic would it be possible to make the night time light-levels dependent on moon phases? - In real life it is actually relatively easy to see at night with a full moon as long as you aren't in a forest or similar (Boy scouts... don't ask... ;D). It's still fairly easy to see even with a half moon. I for one don't much like the complete pitch-black night times :rolleyes:. I'm not sure if ambient light adjustment a planned feature or not though. When I tried fiddling around with it I just got this. XD

Yup! Everything goes dark as it does in real-life :)

I just sat there and watched that for way too long. Entrancing. Given that the actual Munar eclipse is annular, will it do a lighter shadow?

On a related topic would it be possible to make the night time light-levels dependent on moon phases? - In real life it is actually relatively easy to see at night with a full moon as long as you aren't in a forest or similar (Boy scouts... don't ask... ;D). It's still fairly easy to see even with a half moon. I for one don't much like the complete pitch-black night times :rolleyes:. I'm not sure if ambient light adjustment a planned feature or not though. When I tried fiddling around with it I just got this. XD

This has always been a planned feature for Planet Shine. Hopefully he's able to get back to development someday, but I of course wouldn't stop rbray or blackrack from doing something like that :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.