WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Another update has been posted. This addresses some of the lighting issues.

I just tried it out. No more _midTex texture being applied to the ocean while orbiting the planet. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

In that way (example: 2,3000,0) I get the same issue that jsimmons and my clouds became slow rectangles.But if I use the opposite (3000,2,0) all looks pretty well... (?)

Yipes!! That is a lot of different sizes for 2.,3000,0. Rbray are only power of two applied or is every scaling value applied? I was trying to go for the puffy cotton ball look with the 2000,8,0 values. Most cumulus clouds are small thus the 2000 value. Smaller than that then you get the marching line of clouds effect. I tried to duplicate the gaps that appear in the cloud themselves. I also shrank the area to 16000,3,0 since normally cumulus clouds are not that large. I used 3 for the subdivision of the hex grib so it wasn't so filled in the area. At one time I the value of 8 and it brought my computer to its knees. As for translation I haven't figured it out yet. I just noticed the clouds seem to get thicker when the value is higher.

I just tried it out. No more _midTex texture being applied to the ocean while orbiting the planet. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yipes!! That is a lot of different sizes for 2.,3000,0. Rbray are only power of two applied or is every scaling value applied? I was trying to go for the puffy cotton ball look with the 2000,8,0 values. Most cumulus clouds are small thus the 2000 value. Smaller than that then you get the marching line of clouds effect. I tried to duplicate the gaps that appear in the cloud themselves. I also shrank the area to 16000,3,0 since normally cumulus clouds are not that large. I used 3 for the subdivision of the hex grib so it wasn't so filled in the area. At one time I the value of 8 and it brought my computer to its knees. As for translation I haven't figured it out yet. I just noticed the clouds seem to get thicker when the value is higher.

Translation simply moves the clouds around randomly (eg. 10, 20, 30 would do a MAX translation of 10 in the X, 20 in the Y and 30 in the Z, with a MIN of those values negated). 2000,8,0 would make the particles 2000 at smallest, and 16000 at largest. That is HUGE. These values are in meters after all. Any value can be applied, not just 2^x.

Translation simply moves the clouds around randomly (eg. 10, 20, 30 would do a MAX translation of 10 in the X, 20 in the Y and 30 in the Z, with a MIN of those values negated). 2000,8,0 would make the particles 2000 at smallest, and 16000 at largest. That is HUGE. These values are in meters after all. Any value can be applied, not just 2^x.

Are cloud particles generated randomly in size between 2000 to 16000

Are cloud particles generated randomly in size between 2000 to 16000

If you entered 2000, 8, then yes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm doing something wrong? (may the city lights still work outside of BoulderCo?) because I can't get them working in any way.

They should still work. They work on my build at any rate...

They should still work. They work on my build at any rate...

They refuse to work totally, even with the last version. I've checked the configs and the folder's order. That is not the problem. The only mod I didn't removed to check an incompatibility is Texture Replacer. I'll remove it to check all possibilities.

BTW, ocean refuses to work too. It always appears as stock.

Edited by Proot

They refuse to work totally, even with the last version. I've checked the configs and the folder's order. That is not the problem. The only mod I didn't removed to check an incompatibility is Texture Replacer. I'll remove it to check all possibilities.

BTW, ocean refuses to work too. It always appears as stock.

what if you use this one: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/061f28bfa89b2f12623fa2c0fa07614c8505a5d9/x86-Release.zip

Proot if you bring up Eve gui & manually hit apply CityLights it working ? usual in my test it need to be done only 1 time each time when game is open, usual on game menu it fix problem but that a problem in combination with Kopernicus sistem ... if you use Kopernicus to then welcome to my ground :)

rbray89

my be i say a silly thing i don't know but i will doo it: in your *.shader file you define CITYOVERLAY_OFF CITYOVERLAY_ON & DETAIL_MAP_OFF DETAIL_MAP_ON & WORLD_SPACE_ON WORLD_SPACE_OFF what i seen you have define only situation fo ON but for OFF is missing completly, when i speak yesteraday with Nathan about posibility bee a problem in *.shader + in other few place, he was say is ok BUT bouth we not know all pice of puzzle what u have in your code my be there is problem i don't know ... in case i say something stupid mea culpa :D in case it can be a issue i already have note done were i spot some ... but i say agen my be i am wrong :)

hope i will not become a nightmare stoker :D for you rbary :D

There were some config updates... Are you using the default configs or custom?

I've tried both, and I tried to make new ones from scratch, nothing works. I've found that the UI have not all the new parameters that a scratch saves creates. May be related?

I've tried again removing Kopernicus. That seems to not be the problem.

This is the confing that I have right now. Just this, without terrain modifications. Created from a scratch saved, then modified:

EVE_TERRAIN
{
Kerbin
{
oceanMaterial
{
_SurfaceColor = -1.5,0.25,0.45,1
_UnderColor = 0,.1992,.5976,1
_DetailTex = KSPRC/Terrain/Textures/sea
_DetailScale = 400
_DetailDist = .000001
_Clarity = .002
_SpecColor = 1.5,1.25,0.75,1
_Shininess = 7.5
_MinLight = 0.25
_LightPower = 1.75
_Reflectivity = 0.15
}
}
}

Curiously, some of the parameters (like the specular color) still appears as terrain configs in the IU. I prefer this new way, is more "independent", but I can't get it working.

City lights are the same old config, or at least a scratch save didn't create anything new.

I've tried again removing Kopernicus. That seems to not be the problem.

This is the confing that I have right now. Just this, without terrain modifications. Created from a scratch saved, then modified:

EVE_TERRAIN
{
Kerbin
{
oceanMaterial
{
_SurfaceColor = -1.5,0.25,0.45,1
_UnderColor = 0,.1992,.5976,1
_DetailTex = KSPRC/Terrain/Textures/sea
_DetailScale = 400
_DetailDist = .000001
_Clarity = .002
_SpecColor = 1.5,1.25,0.75,1
_Shininess = 7.5
_MinLight = 0.25
_LightPower = 1.75
_Reflectivity = 0.15
}
}
}

Curiously, some of the parameters (like the specular color) still appears as terrain configs in the IU. I prefer this new way, is more "independent", but I can't get it working.

City lights are the same old config, or at least a scratch save didn't create anything new.

Ah... You need a terrain config as well. I think I'm going to have to change the config stuff around a bit to require it. I'm also likely going to merge the city lights and terrain as it is now a requirement.

Ah... You need a terrain config as well. I think I'm going to have to change the config stuff around a bit to require it. I'm also likely going to merge the city lights and terrain as it is now a requirement.

So if I want to change the ocean or the planet I must change the terrains too?

Those could be independent in the future? or it'll be a mandatory requirement?

EDIT: Whatever you do will be good, just curious.

Edited by Proot

So if I only want to change the ocean or the planet I must change the terrains too?

Those could be independent in the future? or it'll be a mandatory requirement?

Well... it is a bit tricky... You see:

1) City lights require the new terrain shader. No easy way around that yet I'm afraid. Might be able to fudge it in the future.

2) The new ocean shader is a bit different than the KSP one. It is transparent, and has no Fresnel effect. In stock KSP, the terrain is shaded to be blue underneath the ocean once you get to a specific depth. In My implementation, the terrain shades the ocean floor based on distance from the floor to the top of the ocean. That way, it is able to reflect depth much better. It does however mean that the stock terrain can't really be used with it.

Well... it is a bit tricky... You see:

1) City lights require the new terrain shader. No easy way around that yet I'm afraid. Might be able to fudge it in the future.

2) The new ocean shader is a bit different than the KSP one. It is transparent, and has no Fresnel effect. In stock KSP, the terrain is shaded to be blue underneath the ocean once you get to a specific depth. In My implementation, the terrain shades the ocean floor based on distance from the floor to the top of the ocean. That way, it is able to reflect depth much better. It does however mean that the stock terrain can't really be used with it.

While you finish the terrains and so on I'm using Kopernicus for that. Allows to modify all the stock terrains altitudes and bumps, without touching other stock values. I've modified some PQS details in Kerbin, Mun and Minmus atm too.

Will be possible to modify all the bumps and terrains altitudes in EVE in the future? could the kopernicus terrain modifications be compatible with EVE maybe? (again, just curious)

EDIT: BTW, You was right as always... with the terrains, the oceans and city lights are back.

Edited by Proot

While you finish the terrains and so on I'm using Kopernicus for that. Allows to modify all the stock terrains altitudes and bumps, without touching other stock values. I've modified some PQS details in Kerbin, Mun and Minmus atm too.

Will be possible to modify all the bumps and terrains altitudes in EVE in the future? could the kopernicus terrain modifications be compatible with EVE maybe? (again, just curious)

I think that goes outside the scope of EVE. I don't want EVE to physically modify vertices, just make them prettier. Kopernicus modifications WILL be compatible with EVE as soon as I can figure out what is breaking :)

EDIT: BTW, You was right as always... with the terrains, the oceans and city lights are back.

Good to hear!

I think that goes outside the scope of EVE. I don't want EVE to physically modify vertices, just make them prettier. Kopernicus modifications WILL be compatible with EVE as soon as I can figure out what is breaking :)

Excuse my bad explanation. I mean that with Kopernicus it's possible to modify all the stock textures, I mean at all altitudes (more than 3 variables). And all the bumps. Atm, I didn't found EVE-Kopernicus incompatibilities.

Excuse my bad explanation. I mean that with Kopernicus it's possible to modify all the stock textures, I mean at all altitudes (more than 3 variables). And all the bumps. Atm, I didn't found EVE-Kopernicus incompatibilities.

Oh! That's fantastic! Yes. That is the plan at any rate. Eventually, low, high, bump, and more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.