WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

I run the 64 bit workaround and both stock and heavily modified it runs without texture failures. Sounds like your gpu may be on the fritz, update your video drivers maybe?

Updated graphics driver. The bug still the same. But!

What I didnt do before, is tha I newer tested on starting normal game. I allways loaded scenarios. So this bug persistent only when I load scenarios. When I launched normal sandbox game, I have not gotten this bug.

Lol I tweaked the game for 4 days now without playing a single game, mission after I bought it.

Well... it is a bit tricky... You see:

1) City lights require the new terrain shader. No easy way around that yet I'm afraid. Might be able to fudge it in the future.

2) The new ocean shader is a bit different than the KSP one. It is transparent, and has no Fresnel effect. In stock KSP, the terrain is shaded to be blue underneath the ocean once you get to a specific depth. In My implementation, the terrain shades the ocean floor based on distance from the floor to the top of the ocean. That way, it is able to reflect depth much better. It does however mean that the stock terrain can't really be used with it.

about shader i have a suggestion you & blackrack basically have common goul & from what i smell, both of you will encounter same problem on developing mod at some point, special on loading scene & trigger specific event, i think it will be great if from shader perspective to try join your forces & make them be compatible or be similar

1. to avoid future possible conflict

2. faster developing

3. less stress for game if shader file it will common

4. optimize or unifies code agen it can be a good thing to set less stress to game

Now all is depend by each of you how much you can work together & if what i say is possible

cheer

And tweaked atmospheres so it does not glow like a Christmas lamp anymore, including Kerbin.

So... Does anybody want my Clouds/atmosphere config now? and the colored textures? Untill The maker of this mod fix coloring issue

Yes I'm interested in you configs. Especially the Atmosphere settings.

I just wanted to point out how wonderful this mod looks with Scatterer - atmospheric scattering. Terrible Inclinations posted some gorgeous screenshots HERE with both EVE & Scatterer that are just amazing. These two mods add a whole new level of immersion...

EDIT: I also wanted to point out another remedy for the red sun glow for those solar systems with a smaller sunflare:

_SunsetColor = 1,0.98,0.92,0.75

vec3( 1.0, 0.98, 0.92) - i.e. white - ish

Looks better in some situations

Edited by Yarbrough08

Yes I'm interested in you configs. Especially the Atmosphere settings.

Here is my whole Atmosphere folder archived.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cfo3leihtgthyz/Atmosphere.rar?dl=0

For it to work you have to remove your own atmosphere folder complitley, and insert my atmoshpere folder instead. All because the coloring parameter for clouds doesent work yet, so I had to color cloud textures by hand in photoshop, and make multiple ones for same planet. Thats is why just simple config file wouldnt work, cause I linked the textures I remade.

Reason why to remove your own folder and not just merge is, because there one texture that have to be only in PNG format, otherwice the volumetric clouds will bugout. Otherwice game will load same file from your folder but in dds format which is not what I had intended.

And by the way, I did it on 64 bit KSP, so I dont know if it fly on 32 bit. Few textures are in 8k resolution

TL : DR - Just move out your own atmosphere folder and insert mine instead.

Edited by Reveral

about shader i have a suggestion you & blackrack basically have common goul & from what i smell, both of you will encounter same problem on developing mod at some point, special on loading scene & trigger specific event, i think it will be great if from shader perspective to try join your forces & make them be compatible or be similar

1. to avoid future possible conflict

2. faster developing

3. less stress for game if shader file it will common

4. optimize or unifies code agen it can be a good thing to set less stress to game

Now all is depend by each of you how much you can work together & if what i say is possible

cheer

I like how you threw faster developing in there... :mad:

Good things cannot be rushed!

I like how you threw faster developing in there... :mad:

Good things cannot be rushed!

I do not try to rush anyone, that was not my intention ;) i just see some thing & i express my opinion, if you take just this comment & ignore all my previos feedback yes my be it will look like a impatient one ... but if you realy want to undestend about what i speak goo to github site booth moder all info is there ;)

100% Good things cannot be rushed << 100% agreed, but how i say i just see some thing & i express my opinion base some time spent reading github file but heh my be i am wrong ;) all info was already provide & it will be ;)

cheer mate

I do not try to rush anyone, that was not my intention ;) i just see some thing & i express my opinion, if you take just this comment & ignore all my previos feedback yes my be it will look like a impatient one ... but if you realy want to undestend about what i speak goo to github site booth moder all info is there ;)

100% Good things cannot be rushed << 100% agreed, but how i say i just see some thing & i express my opinion base some time spent reading github file but heh my be i am wrong ;) all info was already provide & it will be ;)

cheer mate

:D No worries mate. See you around ;)

Yeah, I still have to implement a low/mid/high detail system. It's in the works though :) I also have an idea to add lots of variety to the terrain (different detail sets for snow/rock/grass/sand). I'm starting to worry that the performance is suffering too much though.

Rbray please continue implementation and let us worry about memory optimization, that low/mid/high and terrain variation makes me super exited!!

With 3 terrain texture levels the details for each in theory would only have to be a fraction of the size that one would have to be for all :)

Edited by pingopete

EDIT: I also wanted to point out another remedy for the red sun glow for those solar systems with a smaller sunflare:

_SunsetColor = 1,0.98,0.92,0.75

vec3( 1.0, 0.98, 0.92) - i.e. white - ish

Looks better in some situations

This looks great on a stock sized system (at least from ground level, which is the only place I have tested it.

Incase anyone isn't sure, you need to put this line in the GameData/Atmosphere/Clouds.CFG file. Search for Sunset and it'll lead you right to the place where you have to drop in Yarbrough's numbers.

I didn't find where to put the vec3 numbers, but a yellow sun is fine for me.

RBray - your graphics overhaul is beautiful and you should feel beautiful. Playing stock was such an eyesore I couldn't do it. Thank you for all your work!

I didn't find where to put the vec3 numbers, but a yellow sun is fine for me.

I was just noting the colors with the vec3 - The fourth number is really up to you. A vec3 is a vector of 3 floating point numbers used in some programming languages (mainly c-style such as GLSL). It is not in the CFG file.

EDIT:

Yeah, I still have to implement a low/mid/high detail system. It's in the works though :) I also have an idea to add lots of variety to the terrain (different detail sets for snow/rock/grass/sand). I'm starting to worry that the performance is suffering too much though.

For the snow/rock/grass/sand - would it improve performance to use texture splatting? Red channel for sand, blue for rock, green grass, and alpha for snow. Perhaps less texture fetches and lower memory footprint...

Edited by Yarbrough08

This mod and Scatterer arent really compatible, as they both add the same effect. Try removing scatterer and see what happens :)
Actually works fine. Just tweak some values in both mods and your planets will look quadro beautifull in atmosphere and from space. will do some screenshots now.
Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Reveral

Could you post the changes you made?
How do I embed the damn imgur album so it shows like rbray did on first page?

I can make screenshots of by atmosphere settings for Kerbin in EVE and scatterer settings I changed.

I did not aktivated scatterer for other planets thou, Only kerbin for now. cause I want to make textures first

I marked with red what I changed in Scatterer. Thats all

txTKpht.jpg

Edited by Reveral

Actually works fine. Just tweak some values in both mods and your planets will look quadro beautifull in atmosphere and from space. will do some screenshots now

Could you remake this shot with just EVE and scatterer disabled and once again with the opposite?

A time of great experimentation is upon us.

Could you remake this shot with just EVE and scatterer disabled and once again with the opposite?

A time of great experimentation is upon us.

should I disable planetshine too? that will be stock KSP then

Aha. you ment with just Eve, but without Scattering. I see

Edited by Reveral

Doesn't planetshine only affect the lighting on the ships? If it's the case keep it otherwise it would be great to have comparative pics of all effects.
actualy you right. Planetshine does not matter. this is without scattering, but with eve and planetshine. Actually you know what. After I make KSP look best possible with rbrays new eve overhaul, which will take about week. I just archive my whole Data folder and put it here if you want. Youl need a biffy GPU thou

http://i.imgur.com/6xUoKgb.jpg

Edited by Reveral

actualy you right. Planetshine does not matter. this is without scattering, but with eve and planetshine. Actually you know what. After I make KSP look best possible with rbrays new eve overhaul, which will take about week. I just archive my whole Data folder and put it here if you want. Youl need a biffy GPU thou

http://i.imgur.com/6xUoKgb.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I was actually just curious about how the mods can be used to complement each other. I'm going to be on a laptop for a while so I can't really enjoy the shiniest graphics myself.

So far the performance of Overhaul is way better than Eve 74.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.