New Horizons

r4pt0r

Check me if I'm wrong here Sandy, but Hohman to Pluto is a 90 year trip, and you'll need Hohmann to land, no?

It's 45 years. 90 is the round trip time. Still an awful lot, obviously :(

If anyone could find this useful for twitter or anything, a graphical thing I made for a website for today's encounter

11111823_362295067314555_4404827046577709797_o.jpg

Check me if I'm wrong here Sandy, but Hohman to Pluto is a 90 year trip, and you'll need Hohmann to land, no?

Sandy who? Is a Hohmann transfer to Pluto 90 years? Either it would have to be a generational thing or they would need a large rocket stopping stage, NH was going about 14 km/s during the flyby, so you would need a little more than that for the stop and land.

There's no way that's the full res one. Wasn't the final image supposed to be less than 1 km/px, compared to the 4 km/px of the previous image? At 4 km/px, Pluto would appear roughly 600 pixels wide, just like in that image. At 1 km/px, it would be nearly 2400 pixels wide (much too big to even fit on a FullHD monitor without scaling/zooming - half of it would be off screen).

There's no way that's the full res one. Wasn't the final image supposed to be less than 1 km/px, compared to the 4 km/px of the previous image? At 4 km/px, Pluto would appear roughly 600 pixels wide, just like in that image. At 1 km/px, it would be nearly 2400 pixels wide (much too big to even fit on a FullHD monitor without scaling/zooming - you would see less than half of it).

Yes, the resolution is 4 km/pixel as expected for this image. The <1 km/pixel resolution images obviously still have to come down. We won't have any of those for the next 20 hours or so.

Sandy who?

Yes 45 years to Pluto one way, sorry.

Riddle me this space nerds.. A check of the DSN at this second shows no dishes communicating with NH. My understanding was one of them should be sending a signal to the spacecraft through Pluto/Xaron atmosphere? Eyes on the solar system shows it should be.

https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html

Edited by Aethon

I thought I heard them say the 1km/pixel image would be available by 9pm (EST) tonight???

If I understood correctly, at 0100 UT (21 EST) there will be the wake up signal, an 18 minute telemetry only transmission, no photos. First photos should come down in a 1.5 hour long transmission at 10:59 UT tomorrow morning (not sure if that's the start or the end of the transmission, but I'm sure it's Earth time, so no need to add or subtract the 4.5 hour delay). For more information on those images, see this post

Riddle me this space nerds.. A check of the DSN at this second shows no dishes communicating with NH. My understanding was one of then should be sending a signal to the spacecraft through Pluto/Xaron atmosphere? Eyes on the solar system shows it should be.

There's the 4.5-hour delay. They hopefully sent the signals 4.5 hours ago.

Plus, here's Pluto seen from Rosetta two days ago! http://www.mps.mpg.de/4020338/Aktuelles_2015_07_14_Rosetta_richtet_die_Augen_auf_Pluto

standard_full.jpg

Riddle me this space nerds.. A check of the DSN at this second shows no dishes communicating with NH. My understanding was one of then should be sending a signal to the spacecraft through Pluto/Xaron atmosphere? Eyes on the solar system shows it should be.

Looks like one of the Canberra dishes is tracking it, waiting for the signal.

Riddle me this space nerds.. A check of the DSN at this second shows no dishes communicating with NH. My understanding was one of them should be sending a signal to the spacecraft through Pluto/Xaron atmosphere? Eyes on the solar system shows it should be.

It is. You have to account for sudden eclipses by space objects.

Think positive thoughts.

Ok... I'm absolutely positive the probe is spinning deb... *g* SCNR

This might be a stupid question, but is NH getting a gravity boost or gravity brake, or 'only' a change in direction out there?

Edited by heng
typo

This might be a stupid question, but is NH getting a gravity boost or gravity break, or 'only' a change in direction out there?

Neither, Pluto is so small and NH is so fast it's relatively unaffected.

(face palm).. Oh yeah.. Obviously. Thanks Frida. I got up way too early for this, and I see communication now.

So I was discussing this in the KSP Steam chat, since this is a spacelike event, from our perspective, the flyby hasn't happened yet??

Looks like one of the Canberra dishes is tracking it, waiting for the signal.

I follow CSIRO, our national science organisation, and they've been talking about Tidbinbilla's involvement in the project for a while, so that sounds right.

(face palm).. Oh yeah.. Obviously. Thanks Frida. I got up way too early for this, and I see communication now.

So I was discussing this in the KSP Steam chat, since this is a spacelike event, from our perspective, the flyby hasn't happened yet??

Haha no worries, I'm helped by the timezone, woke up at 11 am! :P Yes, I guess so, I remember watching the Curiosity landing livestream and obviously everyone started cheering only once we had confirmation of the success, not when we expected the landing to actually take place, but I guess this time it's a bit different.

Also, coming up on Charon occultations: 14:17:41 UT Charon-Sun, 14:20:01 Charon-Earth.

- - - Updated - - -

Fascinating stuff all over Twitter:

Ok... I'm absolutely positive the probe is spinning deb... *g* SCNR

This might be a stupid question, but is NH getting a gravity boost or gravity brake, or 'only' a change in direction out there?

Weird answers you're getting. "No, but it will be tiny" - well is it or is it not?!

Yes, it will alter its trajectory, but the effect will be very small. Gaining or losing speed depends on the angle of arrival.

So would Pluto have had a primordial Hydrogen atmosphere like the inner planets? If so, speculation on the mechanism for it's loss and the acquisition of the Nitrogen?

Hydrogen is lightweight so it's easily blown away by the savage young Sun even that far away, but I'd say that most of it simply reacted with other stuff over the eons. Nitrogen is, unlike hydrogen, almost inert in all those conditions.

Awesomeness. Is the color truly accurate though, I wonder? The colors seemed more variable in the blurry hubble image.

The hubble image is not just an image from hubble; it's stitched together from lightcurve data from dozens of observations of charon occulting pluto. Trying to get colour out of that kind of dataset is a pretty sketchy process.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.