The old-times challenge

Well, this is a challenge for the manly and brave, whilst still being easy and non complex.

A throwback to the early days of ksp where there was no fuel lines, rcs or asas.

This is more of a challange for those who have never had the satisfaction of completing a full orbit or twelve.

Task: Complete an orbit of kerbin with the following restraints:

Stock parts only

No rcs or asas. Only SAS.

No fuel lines

No orbital view

No addons at all.

Only srb\'s can be attached to radial decouplers

Bonus points for landing on the light side of kerbin and landing on land

This is something I have been meaning to do since I learned there used to be no map, I\'m getting so used to flying without ASAS now that I managed it on my second attempt.

Here\'s the ship I used.

OIKKa.jpg

The Matchstick

Here\'s the rest of the flight

AtJZf.jpg

At Apoapsis, I normally aim for 70k

AdqU8.jpg

Periapsis, I went around again to Apoapsis before reducing speed by 10m/s

06CTx.jpg

De-orbiting over the day side, I thrust straight down to change the angle of my flight

1s1Rz.jpg

Splashdown in the sun, this challenge was harder than I thought it would be, it\'s easy to become reliant on the map

Edited for spelling

If you want to experience 0.7.3 you might want to add no LFE-45, and no stacking tanks as another level. \'Twas truly hard to orbit with that.

Haha, I remember that...

I never once managed orbit until 0.8 and above.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

But that has struts, don\'t be silly!

0.8 is the earliest I have... I wonder if anyone can find the first released version online.

You can just not use struts.

I used to orbit all the time without ANY of that stuff. Back in my day, you got a nav-ball and a few kerbals strapped to explosives, and you made an orbit out of it! Had my tables written up to mark what speed I wanted, no map meant you had to fly by knowledge and instruments.

I used to orbit all the time without ANY of that stuff. Back in my day, you got a nav-ball and a few kerbals strapped to explosives, and you made an orbit out of it! Had my tables written up to mark what speed I wanted, no map meant you had to fly by knowledge and instruments.

I used to circularize my orbits by burning straight down to cancel out vertical speed, then adjusting orbital velocity to see how close to 34.5km I could get without deorbiting...

Oh, version 0.8, how much fun you were...

Guest GroundHOG-2010

I used to circularize my orbits by burning straight down to cancel out vertical speed, then adjusting orbital velocity to see how close to 34.5km I could get without deorbiting...

Oh, version 0.8, how much fun you were...

Agreed. That was a real challange compared to what we have now.

Trying this out now. Currently I\'m waiting to see what my Ap is so I can calculate my Pe. It\'s kinda nice to do it this way because it makes up for me failing to orbit in 0.10.

EDIT: Done! after 20 minutes of waiting I final achieved my Ap which was 101,476 m which put my Pe at 58,313 m. I feel so good right now lets wait it out to see how unstable my Pe is.

58k km is within atmosphere, you\'ll be aerobraking at that height, unless you\'re in an older version with 35k atmosphere shell.

Oh I know but at that height it\'ll take around 10 or so passes before it gets low enough to become sub orbital.

Ah, those were the days. I wound up working out a table that would give the minimum velocity to miss the atmosphere at apoapsis, then eventually wound up turning it into a program that, given your altitude and speed at two points ten seconds apart, would work out your position in your orbit and draw it for you. Learned a heck of a lot about orbital mechanics doing that.

This thread sounds kinda like grandpa Simpson lying about when he was an astronaut.

You kids had it easy! Why, back in my day, if we wanted an orbit we had to work for it. There were no fancy \'rooster bockets\', no \'stability\' thingamabob, no parachutes; we had to walk to orbit, up hill, right through the slabosphere, both ways if we were lucky. And we were grateful! We were happy to have it! We were happy because nothing like this had ever been done before. (falls asleep, and dreams of Goddard Kerman)

Makes me appreciate KSP even more. Thanks again, Squad! 8) O//

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.