What missions would you say are the most enjoyable?

Rainbowtrout

I enjoy hard missions, as well as the first time I do something it's the most enjoyable to me. One of my most enjoyable missions was a .22/.23 career Jool science probe, I entered almost every moon's SOI and got about 1500 sci points out of the entire mission, IIRC.

I like Jool missions, just because it feels like I put on my big-boy pants and did something cool.

Another tip is to turn up your graphics settings as high as you dare and installing something like Environmental Visual Enhancements or the Astronomer's Visual Pack and just enjoying the scenery. I like to put a craft into a really, really low orbit (like "just skimming over the mountains at insane speeds"-low) over the Mun, Dres (and its awesome canyon), or Tylo and just watching the visuals. Zipping over the ground with lens flare and all that jazz is the closest we'll ever get to seeing an Earthrise in person. Using the cupola command module or the mod that has a nearly-transparent bubble command module is a must. Wish that I could turn this into a screensaver for my computer or something.

The Mun is fun. Going interplanetary feels like Serious Business, careful planning and preparation is recommended. The Mun feels like a day trip; throw together a craft, pack a lunch and go!

More like weekend trip since it takes about 1-2 days to get there and back. But, missions I like. The ones I make and finally finish.

I like stringing together contracts to make a mega mission (I have FinePrint and Mission Controller2). Like, landing on Minmus for ground research and doing a flyby of the Mun for orbital research before establishing a specific polar orbit around Kerbin. The extra planning makes it all the more awesome when it all comes together.

The very early missions beyond LKO are rly nice. Especially with FAR, DRE and TAC LS I have to plan precisely. Doing a flyby around the mun using free return trajactory or executing a slingshot around mun to reach minmus or to get some science from orbit around kerbol. I can be rather creative without the tedious planing of an interplanetary trip.

All that orbital assembly stuff, designing super heavy lifters or waiting for the transfer window... usually too much trouble for me after returning from work. I tend to not be concentrated emough and forget an important detail, which screws up the mission :P so I'll just do some smaller stuff. Also, the mun rly is damn pretty with astronomers pack :D

It might sound a little odd, but I find the very first missions (sub-orbital through to first orbital flight) to be very rewarding. Building from a single srb, hoovering up all the science that can be gotten with that first vehicle, then adding a small liquid upper stage, and continuing to upgrade until the vehicle can reach orbit. I think it's because I really like the early missions in the space race.

Later on in the tech tree, I like multi-landing Mun missions, ion probe missions to the outer planets and long duration expeditions to Duna, featuring landers, bases, and long rover drives.

Whenever I make a mistake, and I am in orbit and tempted to just revert, sometimes I just throw caution into the air and try to see if I can still proceed with my mission, with a more limited set of goals, with the added objective of making sure the Kerbals still arrive back in one piece on Kerbin. Stuff like, I'm about to run out of batteries and/or monoprop (and you need to do some rendezvous soon) and my solar panels broke off etc. can be challenging and will make you think of creative ways to keep the energy expenditures low, if only to get the guys back on Kerbin.

Edited by rodion_herrera

Probably mun missions. Like ranbowtrout said: they're easy enough to be pretty much routine and they still give you that low-gravity out-of-this-world experience. And if anything goes wrong, hell you have a launch window every couple of hours. Rescue missions to Mun are easy.

I should really get to doing Jool missions though. Everybody always says it's awesome there, but sending out my kerbals so far out just scares the crap out of me. I don't want my little guys to die if anything goes wrong :(

Lately? Satellite deployment. I get a real kick out of trying to see how many different orbits I can drop satellites into in a single flight. One equatorial, one polar, one Keostationary, one Munar...

Throwing a bit of RCS propulsion onto the satellites themselves helps a lot, mind you. Don't need a lot of thrust when the whole ship only weighs a few hundred kilos.

Looking back, I'd say the most enjoyable missions were:

- go to new places, discover stuff, SCIENCE!

- build unreasonably big stuff, either rockets, heavy SSTOs, stations docked together with 20+ parts, stuff like that

- asteroid recovery, cause its very unpredictable and you usually only have one chance for a rendezvous.

Using RT2 to coordinate an interplanetary probe peforming a philae-ish mission on gilly or a 'roid. Using no real time input (except for kerbin ascent... Hold on, i just discovered hard mode :D) and no automatic manoeuvre node execution.

My most satisfying mission so far was bringing Jeb to Laythe and back in one piece. The last reentry was not like "home sweet home", it was more like "OH HOLY GOD WE'RE BACK CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS JEB WE'RE WIZARDS!"

An Eeloo mission with a crew of three was probably more difficult but surprisingly way less entertaining.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.