[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

The models you have will probably be better (though the KAX radial, and the new SXT props, are wonderful), so I'd say use them in preference?

Genius Evil's work on them is quite top notch, yes, and mostly very realistic. Though, only the radials have cowlings and engine blocks, the linears are all prop-only. I was planning to add linear cowlings in due time, myself.

I also think some of the engines mentioned in the tree are from Firespitter, no? In which case, they're the engines that RealPlanes specifically aimed at replacing, as they looked nothing like the real thing. I might put in an MM patch that takes out the Firespitter engines RealPlanes replaces.

hi guys im having a strange issues on career mode and im not sure where to begin to track them down.

im using RO and RP0 as well as many other mods on linux 64 bit but there seems to be an issue with science and contracts. when launching a flight even though the contract parameters are being fulfilled it is not giving me the reward or completing the contracts, eg, unmanned alt record of 5km both the unmanned and alt parts are green but the contract doesnt get completed.

the other issue is related to gathering and transmitting science, transmitting science works the first time its tried but after that it just refuses to do anything and science reports gathered and held on a craft that is recovered don't generate any science and dont get listed as complete in the science archive.

i did notice that when transmitting science the first time it works the progress of transmission will go to 100% then list eg. 1.1 science recieved telemetry analysis flying low over grasslands, then a new line will flash in green saying the same thing but listing 0.0 science recieved instead. after that trying to transmit science just makes the comms device list permanantly "transmitting science" while no progress will be made.

i have tried 3 different installs now and they all have the same problem. i would try more but it takes a lot to do each install as i have to install it on windows restart the pc and then transfer the game data folder to ksp on linux. and its quite a long process (ckan refuses to work on linux for me).

heres a link to the log from the most recent one. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rea86409pdqapq8/KSP.log?dl=0

I must have missed something, because if this were a bug like it would have been already caught by someone else. Second-Gen Capsules won't unlock, even though I've completed research on Basic Capsules and Improved Instrumentation. All I can think of is it might be due to KSP crashing due to the memory leak, but I keep playing RP0 anyway because I'm enthralled. :)

Can someone suggest a way to get that node un-stuck? Thanks!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78157466/forum%20posts/RP0treeBug.jpg

Same issue here.

I'm not sure what's going on and I know that RP-0 doesn't mess with the reputation system but somehow I am lossing reputation even though I've not failed or cancelled a single contract. I was doing some memory tests a few weeks back and decided the best option was to duplicate my existing game, and make the changes to that game for the test. That way I could continue with my main game without the test causing problems. So back on game day "Year 10, Day 109 - 16h, 18m" I did just that. That game has a reputation of 61%. In my main game I'm up to "Year 11, Day 29 - 12h, 46m" and have completed 21 contracts including a "Jupiter Flyby" which should have given a pretty decent completion bonus. I've got one "Fundraising Campaing" strategy running which is supposed to take 25% of any reputation gains and convert it to funds. That strategy has been running pretty much the entirity of my game. So I was just logging back into my game when I noticed that my curret Reputation is now 56%. So instead of gaining reputation, somehow I've manager to lose 6%. Is there anything in the save game file that shows where the reputation gains/losses could be coming from?

Yeah, I ended up with a 45km perigee that finally landed but I still ended up maxing out at over 3460 skin temp and still only used 3 points of ablation. To my mind that means the ablator isn't doing enough. I figured the temp would stay down until most of the ablator was gone. Maybe it's because RO combined the CM and Heatshield into a single part? I mean, it was a successful landing but coming within 40 degrees of blowing up and with more then 99.5% of the ablator left to burn off, just seems like the ablator isn't doing what it's supposed to.

As for the fairings, so far I've been using the pre-built FASA Saturn iB Apollo and FASA Saturn V Apollo Lunar craft files so I haven't had to build the craft myself. But for me the fairings are in the "General Aero" category.

The values we take for the amount of Ablator are the number of kg mass the actual ablative shield had. For the real Apollo, only a few (dozen?) kg of ablator mass was actually lost, so you're seeing the correct amount lost. A substantial portion of the ablator acts to shield the rest of the capsule from the heat of re-entry. So even though it isn't lost, it still serves a crucial job as an insulation layer that could potentially ablate away if necessary.

The higher the ablator layer temperature is, the more ablator will be evaporating away. This ablator loss also caries away a substantial amount of the heat that did end up absorbed by the shield. This is the effect that causes you to see the shield approach the maximum temperature fairly close without exceeding it.

KSP 1.0.4 has some pretty substantial thermal changes, and a lot of changes are expected to the thermal system in 1.0.5 as well. I had to build the Apollo ablator specs from scratch for 1.0.4, so it is definitely a bit rough. Looking back, I would probably set the max temp a bit higher to allow a higher rate of ablator loss, rather than the part exploding. I definitely plan to make another pass at the Apollo ablator specs when 1.0.5 launches to refine the behaviour to keep it realistic, but a bit more flexible.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just noticed, the Apollo CM RCS thrusters seem to use a lot of fuel. I just did a reentry. Normally when I do a reentry, I turn on Descent mode and SAS and with the Mercury and Gemini capsules, there was enough RCS fuel to get me down without issue. But with the Apollo I used up all the RCS fuel while I was still over 70km up. Still managed to land fine but the capsule turned sideways which I think resulting in high G's for the reentry (maxed at 5.8 which was higher then my Gemini capsule sustained).

the RCS thrusters on the Gemini & Apollo are 're-entry orientation thrusters' meant to be controlled manually. By controlling the roll position of the craft during re-entry you have a substantial amount of control of where you land and how intense (heating & G-forces) the re-entry is. Re-entry mode shifts the CoM of the capsule to allow it to generate lift, which can be used to push your craft up, down, left or right.

I must have missed something, because if this were a bug like it would have been already caught by someone else. Second-Gen Capsules won't unlock, even though I've completed research on Basic Capsules and Improved Instrumentation. All I can think of is it might be due to KSP crashing due to the memory leak, but I keep playing RP0 anyway because I'm enthralled. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78157466/forum%20posts/RP0treeBug.jpg

Same issue here.

You need to upgrade your science building to allow more than 100 science purchases. It confused me for a while too...

The values we take for the amount of Ablator are the number of kg mass the actual ablative shield had. For the real Apollo, only a few (dozen?) kg of ablator mass was actually lost, so you're seeing the correct amount lost. A substantial portion of the ablator acts to shield the rest of the capsule from the heat of re-entry. So even though it isn't lost, it still serves a crucial job as an insulation layer that could potentially ablate away if necessary.

The higher the ablator layer temperature is, the more ablator will be evaporating away. This ablator loss also caries away a substantial amount of the heat that did end up absorbed by the shield. This is the effect that causes you to see the shield approach the maximum temperature fairly close without exceeding it.

KSP 1.0.4 has some pretty substantial thermal changes, and a lot of changes are expected to the thermal system in 1.0.5 as well. I had to build the Apollo ablator specs from scratch for 1.0.4, so it is definitely a bit rough. Looking back, I would probably set the max temp a bit higher to allow a higher rate of ablator loss, rather than the part exploding. I definitely plan to make another pass at the Apollo ablator specs when 1.0.5 launches to refine the behaviour to keep it realistic, but a bit more flexible.

- - - Updated - - -

the RCS thrusters on the Gemini & Apollo are 're-entry orientation thrusters' meant to be controlled manually. By controlling the roll position of the craft during re-entry you have a substantial amount of control of where you land and how intense (heating & G-forces) the re-entry is. Re-entry mode shifts the CoM of the capsule to allow it to generate lift, which can be used to push your craft up, down, left or right.

For the ablator, by what you're saying, if the pod (since currently the pod and shield are one part) quickly climbs up to 99% of max temp, then stays at between 97%-99% for a minute or two, wouldn't that result in a modest amount of ablator loss? I get that there is more ablator then absolutely required but if I'm quickly approaching maxtemp, and staying basically at maxtemp, wouldn't you burn off more then 0.4%?

And shouldn't the ablator be keeping you below maxtemp since it is supposed to be cooling as it ablates? During my reentry trials I was seeing the same amount of ablator loss whether I reached maxtemp (and therefore exploded) or stayed at 99% of maxtemp. I get that coming in too steeply would cause the pod to heat up faster than the ablation could shed heat. But by that same note, I would think that coming in just slightly too steep would result in more ablation loss (even if the end result was still exploding) then if you came in on the proper trajectory.

As for the RCS, I understand what they are for. I'm just pointing out that the RCS thrusters on the CM seem to use up fuel a whole lot faster than the RCS thrusters on the Gemini. I guess what I'm asking is, were the RCS on the Apollo CM really 3.72x more powerful (0.4137kN vs 0.1112kN), and less effecient (100-100isp vs 100-283isp), than the RCS on the Gemini? Actually, the isp might be the issue. I'm guessing that the Apollo wasn't supposed to have 100-100isp which is what the information panel is telling me. But when I go into debug and look at the actual part in the database, I see an atmosphericCurve for the ModuleRCSFX of:

key = 1 100

key = 1 275

Maybe my issue is just that there is a bug in how the atmosphericCurve is being updated?

EDIT: I thought I should add, I tested on a clean install of KSP with just RO, RP-0, all required (but no recommended or suggested) mods, plus FASA and got the same result. The Apollo CM RCS thrusters have a 100sl ISP and 100vac ISP. Something about the change in RO_FASA_ApolloCSM.cfg is messing up the ModuleRCSFX atmosphericCurve data.

Edited by chrisl

Same issue here.
You need to upgrade your science building to allow more than 100 science purchases. It confused me for a while too...

That did the trick. Thank you! The building upgrade was already underway. But, I had started that upgrade several days ago IRL, and done a lot of short missions since then.

The science building description is a bit misleading though. It was already supposed to handle tech nodes up to 100, but this node at the upper limit was excluded. To avoid further confusion, either the description should be changed to 99, or the limit changed to include 100.

Anyway, having lots of fun with RP0. Thanks guys!

I'm not sure what's going on and I know that RP-0 doesn't mess with the reputation system but somehow I am lossing reputation even though I've not failed or cancelled a single contract. I was doing some memory tests a few weeks back and decided the best option was to duplicate my existing game, and make the changes to that game for the test. That way I could continue with my main game without the test causing problems. So back on game day "Year 10, Day 109 - 16h, 18m" I did just that. That game has a reputation of 61%. In my main game I'm up to "Year 11, Day 29 - 12h, 46m" and have completed 21 contracts including a "Jupiter Flyby" which should have given a pretty decent completion bonus. I've got one "Fundraising Campaing" strategy running which is supposed to take 25% of any reputation gains and convert it to funds. That strategy has been running pretty much the entirity of my game. So I was just logging back into my game when I noticed that my curret Reputation is now 56%. So instead of gaining reputation, somehow I've manager to lose 6%. Is there anything in the save game file that shows where the reputation gains/losses could be coming from?

I do believe that I read somewhere that Fund Raising strategy is to blame. I had same issue, if the strategy was set to more than 10% it was actually reducing your Reputation with every successful contract... I think this is stock KSP issue..

I have recently started with RP-0 and I cannot get RCS to work. Please can someone try out this simple space plane (craft file) and tell me if the RCS works for you. That will help me narrow down if there is something wrong with my design, or instead if there is something wrong with my piloting or my install. Please also double-check the numbers in the part descriptions below. I can see that nitrogen use in the last image doesn't match the part descriptions.

I haven't found anything in the forums with the same symptoms; the plane does use some of its nitrogen supply but it continues tumbling out of control and there are no visible RCS emissions.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have recently started with RP-0 and I cannot get RCS to work. Please can someone try out this simple space plane (craft file) and tell me if the RCS works for you. That will help me narrow down if there is something wrong with my design, or instead if there is something wrong with my piloting or my install. Please also double-check the numbers in the part descriptions below. I can see that nitrogen use in the last image doesn't match the part descriptions.

I haven't found anything in the forums with the same symptoms; the plane does use some of its nitrogen supply but it continues tumbling out of control and there are no visible RCS emissions.

http://imgur.com/a/mYTjh

Well, first of all, congratulations on the detailed album.

1) Your RCS is working, because the last image was showing that you were consuming 1.13 Nitrogen per second.

2) Nitrogen RCS is the weakest but lightest RCS fuel. Different fuels have thrust multipliers, so a 111 Newton thruster might have 7 Newtons with Nitrogen by 80 Newtons with Hydrazine.

3) In your situation, you had a several ton craft being maneuvered by a 7 Newton thruster.... wholly insufficient. I recommend creating clusters of RCS thrusters until you gain the tech to use higher thrust fuels.

So for the first time ever (in RO/RSS/RP-0) I landed a kerbal on the Mun. But I don't seem to have the ability to plant a flag. I've got the level 2 Astronaut Complex which allows EVA and placing flags, but when I have one of my kerbals go for an eva and walk around in the vicinity of the lander, I don't get the option to plant a flag. Any idea what is up?

So for the first time ever (in RO/RSS/RP-0) I landed a kerbal on the Mun. But I don't seem to have the ability to plant a flag. I've got the level 2 Astronaut Complex which allows EVA and placing flags, but when I have one of my kerbals go for an eva and walk around in the vicinity of the lander, I don't get the option to plant a flag. Any idea what is up?

Same problem for me on Earth.

I was wondering why there aren't any contracts for moons other than Phobos and Deimos. Is because of balance, or is it just that nobody made them yet?
It has been a long time since I tried going to either of those, but last time I tried missions to either of them they were harder than Pluto or Mercury. So hard when I finally did get into Deimos' SOI it corrupted my save. =D

I have a problem with the early controllable core and Remote Tech. It gives Avionics control when Avionics is switched off, when I don't have a connection and in all cases without signal delay. All buttons on the craft do have signal delay. I first thought it was a general bug but after it apparently worked normally in Scott Manley's latest video it seems like this is just a problem on my safe.

Any ideas?

Thank you

EDIT: It seems to be a general problem, I just never used anything else past LEO.

Edited by Warp11