[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

I have a question regarding the sounding rocket contracts. Would it be possible to calculate success based on distance to planet and not based on altitude?

I had a case where I accidently entered the sphere of influence of the moon just before reaching the record hight, and the contract failed to complete until after I left the moon (mun in RSS) sphere of influence at a lot higher.

Even worse, I got a sounding rocket contract that says: Reach 972.880.000 m with a sounding rocket. Technically I did, but my sounding rocket left Earth's (Kerbin in RSS) SOI at around 8hundredsomething million meters, and am now in orbit around the sun, and again the contract fails to complete. I think there's currently no way it can possibly be completed unless the SOI in KSB is not spherical. Is it?

The Ranger Block 1 probe seems to have an avionics mass limit as 0.25, however in the VAB this gets rounded to 0.3. this is if course rather problematic if you don't realize :D might it be best to just set it to 0.3?

The Ranger Block 1 probe seems to have an avionics mass limit as 0.25, however in the VAB this gets rounded to 0.3. this is if course rather problematic if you don't realize :D might it be best to just set it to 0.3?

Funny, I just found out the same thing, and was wondering, whether I should post about it. :) . I think SirKeplan has a point. Maybe if the 0.25t is sufficiently well documented, it could be part of the description.

I posted one a few pages back (no link for the moment since I'm on a mobile device). No guarantees, but when I use it and the two RO_global prune lists it seems to get most of the non-stock, non-RP-0 parts and saves me quite a bit of memory.

Thank you! Now to sound completely inept, how do I get this imported into a pruner without having to manually type in all the new names?

As to the first point, I'll look into it. For the second, that's odd, because the calculation of contract altitude does use Kerbin's actual SOI and should never go above 95 percent of it...

Hi,

dunno, if it has any importance, but I had the same issue with a sounding rocket contract which demanded a height of 955,180,000 m. I've tried it several times and I also don't know the exact heigth of Earth's sphere of influence, but this was definately above it :)

http://i.imgur.com/kBYYaAp.png

Also:

I've searched the thread, but I couldn't find anything: Do you plan to include infernal robotics to the real progression tech tree?

1. Good catch on avionics tonnage, I'll check how I'm outputting the value.

2. I'll tune down the SoI-fraction

3. Infernal robotics I *think* is getting placed soon if it isn't already. We have no idea on price though.

Thank you! Now to sound completely inept, how do I get this imported into a pruner without having to manually type in all the new names?

Assuming you are using the AutoPruner, open a new file in Notepad or TextEdit (depending on your platform), copy and paste the list in, and save it as something like RP_0.prnl in the same folder as the other .prnl files (if you need help with AutoPruner, check in the linked thread). I suggest making a copy of your save before you run the pruner.

v0.28 DSKY

687474703a2f2f75706c6f61642e77696b696d656469612e6f72672f77696b6970656469612f636f6d6d6f6e732f632f63622f4147435f757365725f696e746572666163652e6a7067

Requires Realism Overhaul 8.3.0

• Lots of parts placed and priced by mcirish3 (AJ260s, prop engines, various rocket engines, Transtage...).
  • Agena avionics balanced.
  • Stack goo (bio sample, really) now masses what radial goo does.
  • B9 pWings cost fixed.
  • Avionics now show a message in flight when you lose (or regain) control.
  • Avionics GUI now shows in the VAB/SPH. Can be set to only show if no control (hide if control). ALT-I toggles it back on if you close it.
  • Ported the new parts back to RO.
  • (Some) avionics parts can now be toggled into "low power" mode, where they behave as if the vessel has too much mass (flight controls locked, right-clicking ok). For those cores, they automatically switch to low-power mode during timewarp.
  • Place and price Sputnik 1-3 and R-7 (thanks stratochief66!).
  • Fix altitude record bug (was giving records outside the SoI).

Photo by NASA, via Wikipedia

Just started playing RP0 again after a 3 month break, just wondering are procedual SRB's from the procedural parts mod no unlocked with the first node? or am I experiencing a bug? if the later anyone have any tips to rectify the situation?

New release time!

Latest Changes (v0.29 Thomas the Tank Tweak)

RealFuels v9.0 recommended

• Fewer Null Reference Exceptions in the editor
  • Avionics messages are more likely to appear
  • Certain tank types require tech unlocks to use, including:
    • Service modules unlock with early orbital rocketry.
    • Life Support tanks unlocks with survivability
    • Balloon tanks unlock with general rocketry (TL1)
    • Cryogenic tanks (balloon and regular) unlock with the first set of hydrolox engines
    • Electric propulsion tanks unlock with electronics
    • Structural and fuselage tanks (which are heavier) are available from the start.
    • Default tanks are always available.
    • Requires RealFuels v9.0. (Earlier versions will still work, but all tanks will be available from the start.)

Download from our releases page, or download/update via the CKAN!

~ pjf

I like this new avionics feature! It makes building small probes more interesting and it makes solar panels a lot more important in a cool way. It add some new interesting restrictions to the rockets I build. I'm about half way though the tech tree and I have been mostly using the Agena Aviotics package for most of my probes, and attaching additional avionics units as needed.

Protip!: The procedural interstage adapter part has a third attachment node that you can use to hide additional avionic units as needed.

I would like to make a couple small suggestions:

First of all, I'm only halfway through the tech tree, I would really like for there to be a probe core/avionics package similiar to stock size that could support 3t.

Also I would suggest using KW's radial SAS parts as avionics packages. They would make adding avionics to boosters quite a bit easier.

And finally, I think that a Remote Tech dish big enough for interplanetary probes should be available earlier in the tech tree. Right now it feels like I am unlocking those RT dishes around the same time I have an Apollo Program nearing completion.

I really like where this is going though! You guys are doing an amazing job! Keep up the good work!

bug with avionics

I just updated RO/RP0 via CKAN, and found that the moment I am trying to switch avionics to low power mode, it does not work and I am totally losing control. I restarted everything in sandbox and reproduced. One reason why have been seeing this but and possible not others is that I set c=\infty, i.e. no signal delay in remote tech.

Here's the screenshot

and here the output.log

Thanks in advance!

PS: I really like the additional features, and thanks also for the fix with the avionics capacity of the ranger.

Edited by Lilienthal

bug with avionics

I just updated RO/RP0 via CKAN, and found that the moment I am trying to switch avionics to low power mode, it does not work and I am totally losing control. I restarted everything in sandbox and reproduced. One reason why have been seeing this but and possible not others is that I set c=\infty, i.e. no signal delay in remote tech.

Here's the screenshot

and here the output.log

Thanks in advance!

PS: I really like the additional features, and thanks also for the fix with the avionics capacity of the ranger.

Might be worth trying, but why don't you just set 'enableSignalDelay=False' instead? (like RemoteTech says to do)

Might be worth trying, but why don't you just set 'enableSignalDelay=False' instead? (like RemoteTech says to do)

sorry not to be clear in my post, but that's exactly what I did. (I didn't remember the actual setting, so I wrote down the mathematical equivalent.)

Seems to be an issue with the Avionics warning. I'm building a Titan IIIC using the AJ-10-138 Engine/Fuel tank from FASA (FASAGeminiLFECentarTwin), the TItan II/III/IV Seires Upper Stage Fuel Tank from FASA (FASAGeminiLFTMedWhite) and the Titan 3 Series Fuel Tank from FASA (FASAGeminiLFTLonger). The AJ-10-138 says it has an avionics package handling up to 35.000 tons and the Upper Stage tank says it has an avioncs package handling up to 1,000.000 tons. So combined (with the .2t avionics of my satellite brain) my rocket should have avionics supporting up to 1035.2t. My vessle currently weighs in at 650.44t. I'm getting an avionics warning claiming my rocket only support 0.200t so the warning is apparently not adding up all the avionice packages on the rocket and instead is just taking the top most package.

Also, I seem to be having some issues with the SRB that go with the Titan IIIC. From what I can find I should be using a part if UA-1205 rockets and there is a FASA part for it (FASAGerminiSRB175) which meets basically all the specs I can find with the exception of burn time. All the sites I look at say the UA-1205 should burn for 115s but the part only allows a 84s burn. I was going to simply add some extra fuel but there is apparently no procedural tank that allows you to add solid fuel. Is there any way to setup a procedural fuel tank so I can give these UR-1205 SRBs the extra 31s of burn they should have?

I think I found another issue with avionics. I've just sent up my first Saturn V to do a test flight. Three crew in the CSM. We just finished the TLI burn and I'm ready to grab the LEM. Trouble is, when I decouble from the SIV-B stage, I get a notice that "Insufficient Avionice, Locking Controls (supports 0.000t, vessel 30.233t)". It lists me with "Local Control" and I definitely see all three of my kerbals in the CSM including Jeb who should be able to pilot just fine, but I basically have no atitude control so I can't flip the CSM around to dock with the LEM. I'd validate that this is an avionice problem by turning avionics off, but I can't seem to find the script for that. Might need to post that on the OP?

EDIT: Okay. I found the scipt to disable avionics. That's definitely the issue. As soon as I removed avionics and reloaded my save, Jeb is able to control the CSM.

Edited by chrisl

There's still some "Secret Setup" going on here that CKAN doesn't cover. Also, there's some things that are required for a successful experience in RP-0 that are not normally required outside of the RO space. It requires a bit of research in this thread to work out all the kinks. (AKA: Reading this entire thread). I thought I'd collect the issues that have come up and that I verified are still occurring in a fresh CKAN install as of today, April 6th 2015.

Are the CKAN "Suggested" and "Optional" mods for Realism Overhaul are also suggested/optional for RP-0?

RP-0 assumes you are playing with all the mods Realism Overhaul recommends. While not strictly required, you may not get the whole experience without them. Many parts added by mods are not supported or priced correctly, and RP-0 will automatically prepend Non-RO or RP-0 nocost to these parts as apropriate.

Are we not supposed to use the "Non-RP0" and "RP-0 nocost" parts?

Use them at your own risk, but you might consider it "Cheating". They have not been priced correctly, may appear in the wrong spot of the tech tree, and/or may be significantly overpowered.
Is there a way I can easily remove all these non supported parts?

Parts are constantly being placed and priced with every update, so remove these at your own risk. Check out this mod and this post for information on how to easily get rid of them.
I thought there was a part for procedural solid rocket boosters, but I can't find it.

Its located in the third rocketry tech node, TL2

I manually installed all the necessary and suggested Mods. What config files do I need now?

(WIP, will add links later)

Remote Tech

TAC-LS

Kerbal Construction Time

Custom Biomes (Resource Pack)

My game doesn't load, crashes, or gets stuck during the loading screen or title

You're likely running out of memory as the Windows game runs 32bit by default. There are a few ways to address this.

A) Run the game in 64bit Linux (64bit Windows is not an option)

B) Use smaller planet textures (CKAN installs the smallest textures by default)

C) Run the Mod Active Texture Management

D) Reduce your number of parts. Check out this mod and this post for information on how to easily get rid of them.

The game asks me to select a Tech tree on my initial launch. What do I do?

Select the "Community Tech Tree"

The game appears to be tracking time in 6 hour days. Whats happening?

From the title screen enter the settings and uncheck the Kerbal Time option. This will run the game in 24 hour mode.
I'm not able to control my rockets because it says there is no active connection and I don't know what that means.

RP-0 utilizes Remote Tech which requires that your rocket has an antenna and can draw line of sight to a ground station (shown by large red dots). There are a variety of antennas available throughout the tech tree that provide longer range communication, usually at the cost of additional electricity.

I'm not able to control my rockets because my ground antenna is not located at my launch site.

RP-0 requires a special configuration file for Remote Tech. This should have been downloaded in your original CKAN installation.

1. Open (your KSP folder) / GameData / RemoteTech

2. Delete RemoteTech_settings.cfg

3. Launch CKAN, search for RSS RemoteTech. Install that settings file.

I'm not able to control my rockets and there is an active connection.

Avionics are probably responsible. Your command parts all have an avionics value and your ship mass must be under this for controlled flight. In the very beginning of the game, your rockets are not intended to be controllable beyond simple staging and right clicking of parts.

Some of my engines are behaving strangely when activated. They don't ignite, lose thrust, or explode.

Engines in RP-0 are enhanced by the TestFlight mod which simulates failures of rocket engines based on how much they've been flown in the past and their intended burn time. The mod also simulates momentary failures when you ignite an engine. Momentary failure increase the chance of engine failure during the first few seconds of engine ignition before settling to normal failure rates. Expect to see plenty of engine failures during initial ignition. Its highly recommended you perform a few test flights with early rocket engines before attempting to utilize them. More on Testflight failures here.

Further enhancing engine ignitions is the Engine Ignitor mod. Engine Ignitor makes it so every engine can only be ignited a finite number of times. It also requires that fuel is in a settled state before ignition will be realiable. In low gravity liquid fuel will float upwards in the tanks which prevents the engine from utilizing the fuel. Settle the propellants before ignition by thrusting forward using ullage motors or RCS. Alternativly ignite an upper stage before a lower stage has completely burned out. If this is confusing, check out

to understand why this is required.
I'm pretty sure my biomes are not correct. Its saying I'm flying over grass and I am not, or something equally strange.

RP-0 requires a mod and a resource pack for that mod to correct the games default biomes. This should have been downloaded in your original CKAN installation.

Check to verify that Custom Biomes is installed using Real Solar System data (Available in CKAN). Beyond that, the texture resolution of the biomes are 2048x1024 and they may be off by about 20km.

Edited by Doc_Ruby

Doc_Ruby, you are *AWESOME*.

I started a rather poor FAQ a while back. If you want to extend/expand/be the FAQ tsar, then I would be *delighted* with that. I can make sure the FAQ gets a prominent spot in the top-post so people can find it, too. (Free github account required to edit the FAQ, but no special knowledge otherwise needed.)

If you need a hand at all, let me know, and I'll be delighted to help. (PMs will reach me quicker than forum posts.)

Thank you again, you are AWESOME!

~ Paul

There seems to be a problem with the Apollo heat shield. I'm just completing my first test flight of the Saturn V, ready to have the command module go through reentry but as soon as I brush up against the upper atmosphere (appox 117200m), the heat shield explodes with none of the ablative shielding being used up. This is followed a couple seconds later by the command module. Flight results simply say "Apollo Command Module Heat Shield burned up from overheating". I am using Deady Rentry 6.5.2 Beta set to "Normal" and "Alternate Heating Model". I have my periapsis set to around 75km for reentry but considering I'm basically just brusing the outer atmosphere, I don't think that has anything to do with the issue. Is there something I can check to verify that the heat shield is actually working correctly?