[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

With Bonanza cabin?

Pff, who needs aerodynamics anyway? :D

Guys, i have another overly complex semi-replica here, I'm sure you all know well what that rocket is:

FxMgiL1.png

Yes, fuel distribution among the tanks is real, central one (Jupiter) and white tanks (Redstone) contain LOx, black ones (Redstone) - kerosene.

In theory it can get 9.9t to orbit, but anything above 9.0t is pushing it really.

RP-0 parts only.

Craft file soon, needs a bit more tweaking to get it just right.

dV and burntime wise it's as accurate as it gets, but it's like 50t lighter than the real thing and lower stage scale is somewhat off.

Main problem: second stage after sep is so unstable, that even 6 gimbaling RL-10 can't stabilize it.

Edited by Rothank

chrisl: It's an alternative config for the LMDE.

I feel fairly confident in saying the F used Aerozine and NTO, since you'd have a very hard time to get that Isp from nitric acid, and it clearly seems to be a post-Delta P attempt by Aerojet to get back on Delta, using the same propellants as Delta P (and Transtage and SPS, the latter both Aerojet engines). What sources claim it's not NTO/AZ?

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app3/b-3.html and http://www.astronautix.com/engines/aj10118f.htm I know Astronautix isn't completely reliable so I would have simply discounted it but so far I hadn't noticed any major mistakes on designation-systems.net.

EDIT: As you know, when you have FASA installed you get two different LMDE parts. Only the non-FASA LMDE comes with the TR-201 alternate config which is why I didn't notice it before. No worries with it only being available on that engine since the FASA LMDE would like strange on a standard fuel tank. But I did notice a bug. It seems that the "LMDE-J" configuration becomes available sooner on the FASA LMDE than it does on the non-FASA LMDE.

Edited by chrisl

With Bonanza cabin?

Put enough engines on a brick...

But now that I've broken the sound barrier, the contracts want me to exceed 657m/s at 12k altitude for 3 minutes. I think we've skipped a difficulty tier here or something.

Put enough engines on a brick...

But now that I've broken the sound barrier, the contracts want me to exceed 657m/s at 12k altitude for 3 minutes. I think we've skipped a difficulty tier here or something.

Well, using the bonanza cockpit only made it harder to complete the contract for you. All you need to do is to get a conic cockpit, jet engine that's better than Dervent and some basic are ruling. Keep things simple and smooth.

Well, using the bonanza cockpit only made it harder to complete the contract for you. All you need to do is to get a conic cockpit, jet engine that's better than Dervent and some basic are ruling. Keep things simple and smooth.

Show me a craft using mature supersonic flight tech only that exceeds 600 m/s at 12km altitude.

This is only marginally faster, and certainly not at that altitude.

uPmmP69h.png

Edited by Randazzo

Show me a craft using mature supersonic flight tech only that exceeds 600 m/s at 12km altitude.

This is only marginally faster, and certainly not at that altitude.

http://i.imgur.com/uPmmP69h.png

That plane has a terrible area drag, i bet. Can you do a screenshot that shows the FAR numbers?

Starting up the game now, will post a picture in a few minutes.

EDIT:

There ya go, mature supersonic only, the engine is J57, Soundwave mk3:

koysSoS.jpg?1

Still flies a bit like a brick tho. 0.86 wave drag-area is pretty terrible, modern jets have like 0.4-0.5 wave drag and that thing has nothing to do with engines or tech, only construction and overall shape; 20km apoapsis and 600m/s in level flight are quite easy with it, especially when you get above 10km where air is getting thinner and drag lower.

Here's a one tech level higher version, using J79, Starchaser mk2:

ZU8pmd8.jpg?1

I did crewed 30km and 900m/s records using this one, that's my main hypersonic workhorse-contract craft.

Actually, both of these are so fast that they need a drag parachute to come to a stop on the runway, brakes just aren't enough and going below 100m/s in flight results in a stall most of them time.

Edited by Rothank

That plane has a terrible area drag, i bet. Can you do a screenshot that shows the FAR numbers?

Starting up the game now, will post a picture in a few minutes.

Where do I get the FAR numbers?

And craft file would be better.

Where do I get the FAR numbers?

And craft file would be better.

FAR Analysis in the stock toolbar. If you're using texture menagement mod the icon is probably big white square, but if not, it's a FAR logo.

Crafts:

Soundwave (mature supersonic tech) - i just upgraded it a bit, added the spike on the front, just like the Starchaser has, this improved aerodynamics by a few %

Starchaser (high speed flight tech)

EDIT:

THIS thread is full of real jet building experts, that's where I learned how to design these, my earlier crafts where... well, let's just say that you're doing well better now than i was before reading up on that thread :D

Edited by Rothank

FAR Analysis in the stock toolbar. If you're using texture menagement mod the icon is probably big white square, but if not, it's a FAR logo.

Crafts:

Soundwave (mature supersonic tech) - i just upgraded it a bit, added the spike on the front, just like the Starchaser has, this improved aerodynamics by a few %

Starchaser (high speed flight tech)

EDIT:

THIS thread is full of real jet building experts, that's where I learned how to design these, my earlier crafts where... well, let's just say that you're doing well better now than i was before reading up on that thread :D

Thanks for the craft file, I'll have to get tweakscale and try it, but these numbers don't look bad (if I understand them, anyway).

4fQ1G5h.png

Perhaps a pertinent detail to the matter is I'm also using Real Solar System, and I don't know what overall effect that has on supersonic flight.

And thanks for the FAR tip, no doubt that will come in handy.

Edited by Randazzo

Thanks for the craft file, I'll have to get tweakscale and try it, but these numbers don't look bad (if I understand them, anyway).

http://i.imgur.com/4fQ1G5h.png

Perhaps a pertinent detail to the matter is I'm also using Real Solar System, and I don't know what overall effect that has on supersonic flight.

And thanks for the FAR tip, no doubt that will come in handy.

I'm on RSS/RO/RP-0 too. Stock system is just way too easy and not as rewarding.

If you get the tweakscale the first craft should work pretty well. For the second one to work you'd need to install Bahamuto's Adjustable Landing Gear tho.

Yeah, the numbers are pretty good, but something is clearly off with your craft if you have trouble with it. If you need more advice just PM me, let's not clutter the thread.

I'd like to request a more powerful, larger, late generation Delta avionics package. The existing 0.8m/5t unit is fine for the early Thor/Delta rockets, but it is a bit weak (not to mention small) when you're building Delta E onward. By that point, the 2nd stage Delta rocket was 1.42m diameter and over 6t all by itself so the existing 0.8m makes placement a bit odd and you basically have to fit two which means less efficiency. I'd use the Agena avionics package, but it's 1.52m size is even more odd to place.

My first serious designs with FAR and RO:

Cockpit for that one is currently not supported by RP-0, but I will make config for it soon.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Powerplant: General Electric J79 (75kN thrust with afterburner)

Dry mass: 5100kg

Wet mass: 12000kg

Max Takeoff weight: 17000kg (with droptanks)

Takeoff speed: 360km/h - 100m/s

Service Ceiling: 20000m

Range: ~ 6000-7000km without afterburner, ~8000km with drop tanks

Max speed: >Mach 2.5 - 2700km/h - 750m/s Engine will explode at Mach 2.8 (image 16)

Max speed at sea level: Mach 1.21 - 1520km/h - 422m/s (image 15)

Powerplant: 2x General Electric J85 without afterburner (13kN thrust each)

Dry mass: 2300kg

Wet mass: 4500kg

Max Takeoff weight: ?

Takeoff speed : 280km/h - 78m/s

Service Ceiling: 11000m

Range: ?

Max speed: 800km/h - 222m/s

Max speed at sea level: ?

Edited by winged

Framerate: I'd bring that up on the Contract Configurator thread; I have no idea what could be the issue there because RP-0 is just creating contracts, not messign with strategies or anything...

Randazzo: Congrats!

Regarding Mach 2 aircraft, this is what I use. Does not use tweakscale, and is all from the Mature Supersonic node (and RP-0 default mods).

DqukzZkl.jpg

chrisl: I meant to do exactly that, just ran out of time. It's coming soon. :)

winged: Oh *man* what is that cockpit!? I want my Ford! (Yours is like an F5D-2 or something, Skylancer with a J79...)

Edited by NathanKell

Think I've got it cracked.. at least on this one design. Not quite as good as Winged's aircraft, and certainly not as pretty. And just FYI, the earlier problem was due to the intake being on the bottom of the craft. Numbers seemed ok with gear down, but with them up and the airflow hitting the intake, the drag area jumped up to 0.99. So don't do that.

It tops out around 700 m/s in level flight, I've pushed it up to 728 in a shallow dive. Not that anyone would've guessed it, but it's prone to disintegration if you attempt to turn at those speeds. I tested it. Twice.

yKzMn0h.png

HRSVua3.png

JKkprkF.png

winged: Oh *man* what is that cockpit!? I want my Ford! (Yours is like an F5D-2 or something, Skylancer with a J79...)

Cockpit is from Phantom Works. it's not supported by RO but I deleted reaction wheels and lowered its mass to 0,35t which is exactly the same as for the Conic Cockpit.

Other mods:

Adjustable Landing Gear

B9 (engine)

NEBULA Decals

Procedural Parts

Procedural Wings

Ven Stock Revamp

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6d4krxhf6gn1os/Fighter%20Jet.craft?dl=0

No idea what's going on but now it is veering off to the left while takeoff. I didn't have that problems two weeks ago when it was built.

Another photo:

5xPtAFR.jpg

Edited by winged

Think I've got it cracked.. at least on this one design. Not quite as good as Winged's aircraft, and certainly not as pretty. And just FYI, the earlier problem was due to the intake being on the bottom of the craft. Numbers seemed ok with gear down, but with them up and the airflow hitting the intake, the drag area jumped up to 0.99. So don't do that.

It tops out around 700 m/s in level flight, I've pushed it up to 728 in a shallow dive. Not that anyone would've guessed it, but it's prone to disintegration if you attempt to turn at those speeds. I tested it. Twice.

Nice, glad that worked out. Using this plane and a good flight profile you can also get crewed altitude records, 20, maybe even 25km. THere's still some room for improvement tho, u can try the antennae on the front trick, that always works. Also, if you want to put intakes on the bottom, make it far back, behind the wings (when looking from the side).

On the other hand, I'm still working on my Saturn I from two pages back. Can anyone tell me, did S-IV (not S-IVb) stage had any RCS?

Guys, i have another overly complex semi-replica here, I'm sure you all know well what that rocket is:

http://i.imgur.com/FxMgiL1.png

Yes, fuel distribution among the tanks is real, central one (Jupiter) and white tanks (Redstone) contain LOx, black ones (Redstone) - kerosene.

In theory it can get 9.9t to orbit, but anything above 9.0t is pushing it really.

RP-0 parts only.

Craft file soon, needs a bit more tweaking to get it just right.

dV and burntime wise it's as accurate as it gets, but it's like 50t lighter than the real thing and lower stage scale is somewhat off.

Main problem: second stage after sep is so unstable, that even 6 gimbaling RL-10 can't stabilize it.

Very nice. Btw I also made a Saturn rocket couple of months ago:

Ok I've searched the tech tree, this thread and the forums at large. Are there any docking ports available in RP-0 besides the propellant transfer port? Is there a port I'm missing that allows crew transfer? If there are ones that work with an RO+RP-0 game in optional mod's parts which mod should I be looking at?

Also how do I make a small reentry system to carry back data from LEO? Everything I've tried so far has had the structural or fuel tank part next to the heats shield overheat. Also something seems wrong with top mounted parachutes. The don't show up in the staging list, but maybe that is an RO or realchute thing.

1. The other docking ports are in a node I haven't made yet. I also need to place the APAS, that should go in a node that exists already I think.

2. As mentioned in this thread and the RO thread, reentry is bugged in RO 10.4. Sorry. Fix incoming ASAP.