.90 satellite missions -- new probe? (BUG)

I've just filled my docket with satellite missions, only to be unable to complete the easiest portion of them.

I can hit the orbits, no problems there... but I cannot, no matter what, complete "Launch a new unmanned probe..."

I go into VAB, start from scratch, and build a probe to launch that has the required parts.... what voodoo do these missions require?

The answer was given by 5thHorseman:

Turns out the stability enhancer generates power now so once youv'e unlocked it, you have a "power generator" in your toolbox so the probe missions start showing up. He's going to fix it but for now, you'll have to ignore those contracts until you unlock solar panels.

That's a pretty insidious bug, since I filled my limited contract bag full of satellite missions I am now incapable of achieving... Does no one test missions before release?

Edited by adriankemp
Answered

I've had the same problem. The contract called for a new unmanned probe with power and an antenna and as extra it required a materials bay. I launched this and it ticked all the boxes in the contract except the launch a new probe part.

screenshot2.png

Looking at the code for the Fine Print mod (on Github) it seems that it not only needs power, but a power generator. I'm guessing that the battery doesn't count as a power generator and you need a solar panel. If that is the case, then the contracts should only appear once you have a solar panel unlocked (or RTG), which I haven't yet. I'll test this theory once I have solar panels unlocked, but it will have to wait untill I have time to fly another few missions and unlock more science. :)

Did you take your probe up to its destination and get it in place while connected to a manned ship? Have you disconnected that probe yet? That checkbox won't get checked until the probe is all on its lonesome.

If that's not the case I don't know, but my one probe mission didn't give me the checkbox until I decoupled it from the main ship.

Looking at the code for the Fine Print mod (on Github) it seems that it not only needs power, but a power generator. I'm guessing that the battery doesn't count as a power generator and you need a solar panel. If that is the case, then the contracts should only appear once you have a solar panel unlocked (or RTG), which I haven't yet. I'll test this theory once I have solar panels unlocked, but it will have to wait untill I have time to fly another few missions and unlock more science. :)

I actually reported this exact bug to the developer a couple hours ago. Turns out the stability enhancer generates power now so once youv'e unlocked it, you have a "power generator" in your toolbox so the probe missions start showing up. He's going to fix it but for now, you'll have to ignore those contracts until you unlock solar panels.

Turns out the stability enhancer generates power now so once youv'e unlocked it, you have a "power generator" in your toolbox so the probe missions start showing up. He's going to fix it but for now, you'll have to glitch the stability enhancer into orbit.

Fixed that for you. :wink:

I actually reported this exact bug to the developer a couple hours ago. Turns out the stability enhancer generates power now so once youv'e unlocked it, you have a "power generator" in your toolbox so the probe missions start showing up. He's going to fix it but for now, you'll have to ignore those contracts until you unlock solar panels.

Indeed it was this exactly, sure enough the probe on the landing pad has the check and it disappears at the moment of separation.

I've updated the thread to reflect your answer -- thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that's it. I'm on the launchpad without a solar panel on my probe right now and the "Launch new unmanned etc." is checked, BUT I had your same issue you had once I achieved the required orbit; that being it was unchecked. I'm about to test if it actually needs power in the probe body...which is my guess.

Edited by Vladthemad

Turns out the stability enhancer generates power now

It always did :D

I don't think that's it. I'm on the launchpad without a solar panel on my probe right now and the "Launch new unmanned etc." is checked, BUT I had your same issue you had once I achieved the required orbit; that being it was unchecked. I'm about to test if it actually needs power in the probe body...which is my guess.

As was already said above, you need solar panels or an RTG.

It always did :D

As was already said above, you need solar panels or an RTG.

*facepalm* Well that would make sense if I didn't have the requirements filled prior to launch, only to find out that I didn't after reaching the required orbit which is where my confusion came in and brought me to this post in the first place. Worse yet, for some reason I read "stability enhancer" and thought it was about that new tiny sas module. *double facepalm* After many test flights, trying to figure out why on launch I had the checkmark but on achieving the orbit I didn't, I remembered...launch clamps provide power filling the requirement and saw they were called stability enhancers. Hahah. Well, that was two hours wasted. :)

I found a simple hack to fix this problem for now: make a part of your ship a RTG so that it counts as power.

For example, if you have a z-100 battery pack onboard, find the GameData/Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-100Battery/z-100Battery.cfg and add:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.01
}
}

before the last }

Full example :

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = batteryPack
module = Part
author = NovaSilisko

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = scienceTech
entryCost = 800
cost = 80
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Z-100 Rechargeable Battery Pack
manufacturer = Zaltonic Electronics
description = The Z-100 battery pack is the standard model for electrical applications. Holds two (2) AAAA batteries and holds a maximum 100 units of charge.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.005
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 8
maxTemp = 3200

PhysicsSignificance = 1

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.01
}
}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.