Mk3 wings

scotty93

So, after playing around with the new mk3 parts and am very pleased with how they turned out. They are beautiful parts that will fit nicely within the game. However, I feel as though the wings and control surfaces that we have now are a little too small for large/long-range spaceplane configurations using mk3 parts. Using the wings we have now, it seems that a truly large number of parts are need to produce a really good amount of lift.

I personally like using spaceplanes for long range heavy lifting on Kerbin, and having a high part count can be a pain.

Does anyone else feel this way?

P.S. I love how much the game has progressed from when I started playing, and congratulations to squad for KSP reaching Beta!

I came here looking to post the same thing. And it's not so much the size of wings, as the complexity of keeping those large wings made of tiny pieces from falling apart. I made a jumbo jet (replica of one of the ones shown when the first unveiled the Mk3 parts) and the wings just flopped all over the place and cracks opened between the pieces. I ended up having to strut all the individual pieces together.

There really needs to be a way to make attached wing pieces mold into a single part. It's like having a wing made of Legos.

I'd like some larger wings, though I don't think they're necessary. The new editor categories make part clutter much less of a problem, so adding a ton of new parts would be fine as long as it doesn't take up too much memory.

I think I might make a bunch of configs to add rescaled stock wings. I already added some larger stock landing gear to my game.

Edited by xub313

What I want are larger control surfaces; the current ones are just small, when compared to Delta wings, i'd rather not have to use twice as many control surfaces than wings. That's what I think a large portion of space-plane part counts go to.

Ok, so I quickly made some larger wings and control surfaces. And I have to say they fit quite well with the Mk3 parts.

4n16hB7.png

I still need to go over the lift values. Lift should go up with the square of the multiplier right? I know the square-cube law but i'm no aerodynamics nut.

Ok, so I quickly made some larger wings and control surfaces. And I have to say they fit quite well with the Mk3 parts.

http://i.imgur.com/4n16hB7.png

I still need to go over the lift values. Lift should go up with the square of the multiplier right? I know the square-cube law but i'm no aerodynamics nut.

It's more a matter of geometry than aerodynamics. Double the dimensions and you square the surface area, and therefore the lift.

When the scale increases lift should go up by the square (since you're scaling up both width and length). Volume goes up by the cube, so mass should increase by more than the square, but a wing should be mostly empty, so squaring the mass should be close enough.

The drag value scales with mass automatically, so you shouldn't change it.

I'm hanging out for some chunkier stock jets, personally; having to strap 8+ turbojets on just to get off the runway isn't the best. Stock 2.5m jets, maybe?

YES. I have a 216 ton SSTO (using mark 3 cargo bays), and the part count is over 400. With larger engines and wings (and intakes) it wouldn't lag so much. I would also advocate for 2.5m intakes.

Yes. Definelitely I want procedural wings,or something that can make all wing parts into one piece. (also i always wanted smaller jet engines ^^ )

Honestly is it sad that I delete most of the cfgs for almost every wing part out there except Pwings and a few smaller bits.

Here is a bunch of config files to add rescaled wings and landing gear to fit the Mk3 parts. I admittedly spent little time testing it, but everything looks alright. It includes most of the stock wings and control surfaces and as two larger landing gears.

Edit: I realized that I made a huge mistake with the balancing. I'll fix it in a couple minutes.

Edit: Done

Edited by xub313

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.