Orbital Station Contract - support x Kerbals

Can anyone tell me - on the Orbital Station contract, when it says support x number of Kerbals, what does it mean exactly? Must it have habitation modules enough to support x ? Or is it enough to simply have spaces on the ship (command module, mobile lab) to support x?

I ask because, right now, I have the station, consisting of 3 seat command module and mobile lab, in Kerbin orbit ready to punt off to the Mun, and some conditions of the contract are already saying complete, but not the "must support 5 Kerbals", still incomplete. Must I ship up a habitation module, which would support 4 Kerbals, or even 2 modules to exceed the 5 required?

Thx for help.

Edited by ondofpond

I believe anything that adds crew capacity is valid: lander cans, capsules, lab, etc. It's possible that the lab is treated specially though. You could try just "launching" the station without a launcher to see if it fulfills the contract - it should tell you while it's still sitting on the launchpad.

I expected the mobile lab to count, but was suspicious it might not. I had not got around to testing that just yet.

Likewise. I would test it now (I have contracts like that available), but I have 7 contracts already and none of them are quick and easy to complete :/

I've completed these contracts with real bad-looking monstrosities - a science lab with 4 Mk 1 capsules stacked on top of it, on top of each other, and a probe core at the very top - no crew.

You don't have to actually send any kerbals TO the station to complete the contract : it only needs to have enough room for them, and it doesnt seem to matter what that room is.

Edit : Don't forget the docking port, solar panels, and communications dish of some kind.

Ok I tested it - with the thing in Kerbin orbit and just the 3-seat command module and Lab on it, the mission status as viewed in the KSC building says "incomplete" for the "support 5 Kerbals" bit, but via the little contracts window I get a tick on that category, so Lab and command module count :) . Thx for help folks.

Ok I tested it - with the thing in Kerbin orbit and just the 3-seat command module and Lab on it, the mission status as viewed in the KSC building says "incomplete" for the "support 5 Kerbals" bit, but via the little contracts window I get a tick on that category, so Lab and command module count :) . Thx for help folks.

Yeah, the contract only seems to care about the ship you're actually piloting.

• 4 years later...
On 12/19/2014 at 9:38 AM, Anquietas314 said:

I believe anything that adds crew capacity is valid: lander cans, capsules, lab, etc. It's possible that the lab is treated specially though. You could try just "launching" the station without a launcher to see if it fulfills the contract - it should tell you while it's still sitting on the launchpad.

Anything, you say? Even, hypothetically, a bunch of EAS-1 External Command Seats inside of a fairing? :>

22 hours ago, kevnuke said:

Anything, you say? Even, hypothetically, a bunch of EAS-1 External Command Seats inside of a fairing? :>

Well to be fair when this thread was originally active the Earth was cooling external command seats weren't considered "crew capacity" from what I remember, as you couldn't put crew in them to start.

However, there's no reason you can't do the test that the post you quoted suggested :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.