Don't support Kerbal mills, only recruit 'rescue Kerbals'

nadreck

How do you handle Kerbal recruitment  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you handle Kerbal recruitment

• Kerbals? Who needs 'em as soon as Jeb earns me an Okto core it's probes all the way!
    • Jeb is the only Kerbal allowed to touch those expensive rockets
    • The original 3 are enough for me!
    • If I need more Kerbals I just recruit more! It's not like I have to pay them!
    • I use the original 3 and any that I can rescue, why recruit anyone else?
    • I create my own Kerbals with the name I want in the config files
    • Never ever thought about it.

So in .25 I had decided that playing in my Hard Mode (standard Hard Mode with rewards reduced from 60% to 50%) that I should also only allow the use of "rescue Kerbals". Now in .90 I am doing that again and it is even more interesting than in 0.25 since I have know idea what the next rescued Kerbal's role is going to be. So far I haven't had to pink slip any Kerbonauts because I had too many rescue ones, I hit 5 just before I was ready to upgrade the Astronaut complex, so as long as I don't get more than 9 rescue Kerbals before I am ready for the next upgrade all is good.

I am curious how many other players have any self imposed recruitment rules for Kerbals? Or maybe retirement rules?

I refuse to put any other than the ones I have to in danger! Well, as soon as I have them. In the career I started for 0.90.0, I recruited Billy-Bobcous because I wanted a scientist on a mission and I didn't want Bob to be sent out just after he had landed the last mission, so you see, I don't impose recruitment limitations upon myself, but kerbal employment limits: give them rest and don't put them in too much danger when a probe core can do the job as well.

Until now I've only hired Kerbals with cool names like "Bilbo" or "Luke", but I may have to rethink that with the new Kerbal stats.

As far as rescues go, I take advantage of the fact that the rescue contract lasts four years - I grab the Kerbal and keep him aboard a space station or something so I don't get any more Kerbals needing rescue.

I hire to make a somewhat balanced roster. Some are full courage-no stupidity / vice versa, others are full courage-full stupidity / vice versa and a few others are no courage-no stupidity and vice versa. This literally doesn't matter to the game but it makes me feel like I'm being useful.

Jeb, Bill and Bob get special treatment from me too. They get the pink slip. Other than that I haven't really thought about it so far, but just may restrict myself to only hiring the cowardly idiots for some time. Just so I could imagine myself as a bad boss.

So far I haven't had to pink slip any Kerbonauts because I had too many rescue ones, I hit 5 just before I was ready to upgrade the Astronaut complex, so as long as I don't get more than 9 rescue Kerbals before I am ready for the next upgrade all is good.

I currently have 13 of 12 kerbals due to a rescue with a full roster... I'm actively looking for more rescues now to stuff the roster :)

I don't really have any recruitment rules, but I DO like to send them on "training missions" before putting 'em on serious missions. Early missions are done by Jeb without training, but after my space agency is up and running, I send 'em up for orbital flights around Kerbin and return prior to putting them on any 'real' missions (ex. stations around other bodies, re-usable science landers, interplanetary anything, etc).

Disliking the micro-management of jobs in .90. It's hard for me to stay interested in the game past Minmus due to long transit times and I find it unsatisfactory to send Kerbin into a >>>>>>>>> stasis just to do the Hohmann dance for that one mission to another planet. Sending Kerbals off in an exploration plane just to find that my science boffin cannot change a bloody wheel will certainly not make me jump with joy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.