[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

can you tell me/ link what or how you are being taught of the codding? i would like to know. great job btw, i will use this myself.

My process is really just go at it lol

I really wanted something like this but no one seemed to be working on it or they deemed it impossible.

I did some javascript in unity recently so I thought I would give c# another go motivated by ksp\'s module system.

I always failed at c# attempts before lol. Basically I opened monodevelop and my browser whenever I hit something I don\'t understand I\'d google the c# reference material or a general google search if the reference didn\'t help me understand and use it.

That\'s basically it. I don\'t learn well from reading code examples or most tutorials, I just write click compile, it will bug me about things that are wrong and while trying to fix them I learn. Use lots of console output to see whats happening when testing the code and go from there again.

I think it\'s called being self taught ?

I learned doing 3d and photoshop pretty much the same way.

About the source code

It\'s okay everyone, I kind of agree with protecting certain modules source but access through modules is pretty stretching atm so I understand the problem. I would have included it before if a certain someone hadn\'t deleted the guidelines as Damion already noted himself in a private irc chat. I\'ve packaged the source with the zip. If it needs a separate link please let me know.

I just don\'t like to show my newby code lol :-[

So i left my mapper cruising at 3200/3500m and went home to work... I came back and it was at 5800/5400 ... does anyone know what happened?

Btw.. it was too high to map just after 3 hours...

Is it physics bug?

I had this happen if I left mechjeb staying in e.g. prograde lock and the thrusters activated

I had this happen if I left mechjeb staying in e.g. prograde lock and the thrusters activated

I had it on.. but no RCS or any other fuel... im gonna blame mechjeb anyway ;]

Wow this thread moved quick in 6 hours.

I shut down some extra stuff and tried again. Much more acceptable framerate, actually. Quite good. Feeling good now that I may get a solid run finally, then bam. Too many heap sections. Other times it\'s a gc error and other times kerbal just crashes. This makes me sad.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is it possible for the plugin to run on multiple vehicles at the same time to speed up the mapping process?

No unless you run two (or more) separate instances of the game... and then you have to merge both (or more) data files.*

*but I may be wrong

I\'m actually sort of depressed that all I got from 5 hours and 70ish probes was this:

0pbUm.png

You\'re doing it wrong.

I\'m crashing constantly, but managed this after a few hours/restarts with one probe.

isa_RAM_Mun_Topo_400x200%20x%204000m_.png

There\'s little sections of missing data here and there. I think that\'s where the KSP crashes are showing. :)

Mapping Update,

I got about a meg and a half of data so far, Should be the same location:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62434044/isa_RAM_Mun_Data.csv

8Ft5Y.png

1W8R5.png

----

So I just noticed something odd, Apparently This Maps Latitude from ~-171 to 189. You can see that in my raw data.

Apparently My Mapping Software is throwing out lats above 180. I guess I\'m not sure if I should wrap the numbers around, or just bulk shift the entire dataset?

Any ideas?

For testing I\'m just going to offset by -10

Anyhow I\'m going to start a polar mapping mission on the second computer, These really show how much of the poles I\'m missing.

North Pole

1SUeU.png

South Pole.

ea9nd.png

I really should grid after re-projection, but meh.

Well I went into the graphics settings and set terrain detail from the default ~80% to 100 and now I\'m getting data. KSP does lag a little bit worse now but it\'s manageable. I\'m also pushing my probes below 4km but that may not be strictly necessary now (and may be suicidal for polar orbits!)

This is especially impressive work for someone who taught himself C# in a few days !!

e: ^^ niceeeeee B) ^^

I had it on.. but no RCS or any other fuel... im gonna blame mechjeb anyway ;]

I believe this would be due to the fact that turning creates ever so slight changes in speed so leaving something on in a way that would make it turn would cause it to change speed and orbit very slowly

Data points should range from -180 -> + 180 and -90 -> +90.

If you have 171 -> 189 then it looks like 9 has been taken off one and added to the other.

I\'ll update my map with your own data.

I\'m currently mapping the poles myself on a 90 deg inclination. I\'ll post that CSV when I have it.

Toastar, I\'ve been looking at your data through my own app I\'m working on.. Note the blank area at the left side. (ignore the space on the right) It appears as if indeed somehow the entire dataset has been offset.

Here it is halfway through rendering. Boy you sure did some funny stuff at the beginning :P

I\'m not used to dealing with large datasets, but I\'m hoping I can finish something usable.

Oh boy, a surface map!

Running two instances overnight, one at inclination 90.20 degrees, the other at 89.79 degrees. They\'re both at right around 3.5km altitude, so hopefully at least one of them will survive. :)

Oh, and mapping started at 06:40:00 MET.

KSP uses procedural techniques to generate its terrain. Might there be a way to generate height information without making the game render it, and then levels of accuracy and detail can be simulated based on spacecraft attitude? I suspect that generating terrain information isn\'t nearly as computationally expensive as putting it onto a mesh and rendering it. I wonder if we can increase the level of detail on a PlanetQuadTreeController without making it render that detail? Maybe some of the PQS classes have something for us?

KSP uses procedural techniques to generate its terrain. Might there be a way to generate height information without making the game render it, and then levels of accuracy and detail can be simulated based on spacecraft attitude? I suspect that generating terrain information isn\'t nearly as computationally expensive as putting it onto a mesh and rendering it. I wonder if we can increase the level of detail on a PlanetQuadTreeController without making it render that detail? Maybe some of the PQS classes have something for us?

For some reason that doesn\'t sound as fun.

Moar data for the data crunchers.

I also made a map from all the publicly posted data I noticed.

(thanks dvc, SasquatchM, toastar, and togfox1)

FEATURE REQUEST:

Let it use different files than the default.

edit: removed outdated map and data, check here for more recent information.

Moar data for the data crunchers.

I also made a map from all the publicly posted data I noticed.

(thanks dvc, SasquatchM, toastar, and togfox1)

FEATURE REQUEST:

Let it use different files than the default.

Nice work.

btw. ive looked thru all the data published (not your compilation) and found some strange data:

-26.02;304.99;1117.1

-26.13;304.85;1109.2

-26.24;304.71;1098.6

-26.34;304.57;1129.7

-26.45;304.43;1239.4

-26.56;304.29;1389.2

its just tiny bit... just thinking how did he/she got 304° ? there was 190° somewhere else...

Mapping Update,

Well my 45deg mapping mission finished, I shifted it into about a 75deg orbit. I also have about 18 hours of polar data from my second mission.

Mission one Raw Data.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62434044/isa_RAM_Mun_Data.csv

2. Mission two Raw Data.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62434044/isa_RAM_Mun_Data%20_polar.csv

My Polar mission doesn\'t seem to Jive with my Main mission, I had seen the gaps in the data on my polar mission from flying a higher orbit and expected it to be in the lowland area. This was not the case.

Also The polar mission was actually in two parts, I got about two passes before the game crashed, then I got another mission that took some effort to get into position. These two missions have different prime meridians.

While I can probably shift these two datasets to match using a crater to line them up, It makes me suspicious of some of the early points in my main file(The first crash landing) I may omit these readings.

I\'ll make an update once cleaned this data up.