[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Keep at it. :) Though you really need to remove the semi-colon or not call the files csv files. Picky and perdantic - I know - but csv files are, well, they have comma\'s.

I\'ve found that 3,800 metres is too high for a scan. I\'m only getting the peaks and the average ground level is below the scanning range. I\'m 3,500 makes a big improvement and I\'m going to have to risk mountain and peak to scan at that altitude. Sorry Jeb!!

csv was the plan but ksp likes . for decimal, c# likes , so I decided to use neither as the seperator. being a noob at coding I didn\'t want to complicate things, wanting something out to the community to play with. For now you could use software like notepad++ to do a quick replace. I suspect you are not getting a high enough quad count with the graphics settings and your distance from terrain, I need to add this to documentation.

If you check alt f2 for a while, the game will give a message with a number when quads are updated.

I will put it on my list here though, as I\'m learning coding it might be better to change that and learn than just changing to extension to a 'propriety format of mine' lol ;) thanks for the suggestion.

I ran into this problem while developing my own mapping plugin (I\'m running KSP on a very marginal computer), but I\'m glad to see that others were able to get it working. I guess I\'m the Kerbal equivalent of the Canadian Space Agency - lots of ambition but limited by my budget...

An idea that I did manage to get working was scanning the 'radar/laser' beam back and forth through a ±40° arc about the heading vector, rather than just sampling the distance to the terrain directly below the spacecraft. Sampling this way increases the resolution of the data.

About the scanning, awesome. I do not possess the knowledge to do that, I could code a scanning raycast but I mean the math involved to correct for angle etc. not a clue. I\'m reading about different map projections so that might be a likely feature in the time ahead I just can\'t give any estimates because of me just starting with it.

About the detail limit, it might prevent some people of using my module. I didn\'t make the quad count requirement super high but, well, the game updates the quad count as you get nearer to the terrain so a low setting would make that point potentially when you are just above it. I need to add this to the documentation. I could activate a lowres feature in the cfg but I don\'t know why anyone would want a map of their orbital altitude lol.

I unfortunately keep getting crashes after about 30 or 40 minutes. When orbiting that low at that speed, I often have framerate glitches loading the terrain. Add to that the continuous stream of data being written to disk and I\'m orbiting at 2fps and think it\'s filling up my swap space and crashing or something.

Tips, perhaps? :\'(

This continuous stream is actually once per second actual time :)

If you get framerates like 2 fps I would suggest to turn down the graphic settings, it will prevent you from using my module for mapping from orbit. but I\'m thinking of adding a feature to the mapgen to render a specified area, you could still make maps of small area\'s you explored with a rover for example. Note down the coordinates of the corners of the area you explored with mechjeb e.g. and then make the mapgen spit out a map of that area.

If people want this I will see about adding area map generation.

But my module is very lightweight and doesn\'t seem to affect my own ksp performance at all, I purposely left out anything dealing with doing math or such out, it\'s raw data collection only, the only \'big\' code is really just ensuring good data.

I could decrease the scan and file write operations even lower, a cfg setting perhaps. Might help but I doubt it, it\'s writing max 23 bytes once per second shouldn\'t worry any drive. writing takes mere ms, the time in between it\'s all idle waiting for the next second.

wow! actual science mission.

now, we have to figure out how to show the long/lat on the generated map data.

then when we get new planets we will be all set to map them out and choose a landing site.

now im off to build a munar reconnaissance orbiter.

im am not clear on how to generate the map from the data file once i have enough data.

The best way to use the mapgen at the moment is using the command line.

If you don\'t know how this works, a little guide:

-Have a window open with the directory the csv gets written to and the mapgen resides.

-Select the full path in the address bar of the window (I use w7) and copy it ctrl+c

-Go to start -> run type in 'cmd', press enter.

-You\'ll get a little window with a dos like prompt.

-type 'cd ' right click the window and select paste, press enter

-You\'re now in the same directory just from the command prompt.

-type 'isa' and then press tab it should auto-complete to 'isa_RAM_MapGen.exe', press enter

It will generate a default small map from your data.

To use console arguments make it e.g. 'isa_RAM_MapGen.exe 1000 scale' to generate a 1000px wide image with a topography colour scale at the bottom.

I haven\'t added an option to render long/lat with it but long/lat gridlines have been requested I will add it to that.

If you use more than 1 argument on the command line, the first needs to be map width, this is because I have 2 potential numeric arguments, I think I will change that all to be more robust.

The mapgen is really interesting me, I always like doing map stuff as a kid, now that I\'m figuring out c# and did this I think you can expect that I will add some features to the mapgen in the coming time, some might not be all that useful though haha ;)

It dosen\'t seem to save anything at all? No csv or any other file in KSP folder.... I\'m kinda puzzled. Plugin is there, part is there (and attached). If I try to map bits of Kerbin while I take off, no file. If i make a 'Google StreetView-ish' car I get no file... what\'s going wrong? I even made all of KSP folder and subfolders fully read/write!

I think I wrote in the readme and this post that it only maps the mun for now. Mapping Kerbin is not realistic at the moment because there is nothing to map when you are orbiting 70 km away from the surface or higher. The game changes the resolution of terrain depending on how close you are to the terrain and eventually makes it a low poly sphere I suspect and possibly drops the collision mesh completely. Iow there\'s nothing to scan but -1.

I might enable a separate kerbin file if there is demand but you\'d need to map with a plane or just do area maps with a rover or something when I get around to implementing generating area maps.

well shit, It\'s sort of broken for me. It says it can\'t find the .cvs file but it is clearly there.

Attaching the file.

hmm indeed same for me and its surely not a typo or windows wouldn\'t have asked to overwrite my test csv in my dev folder lol

Give me a second to try and figure it out

Okay thank you for giving me the csv file really helpful as it lets me run it here and see what happens, add some debug output (it slows the mapgen to a crawl that;\'s why they aren\'t in the public)

Are you sure it gave you file not found and not an exception? I\'m getting an exception in command prompt. I will need to research this one. 'good' find lol :)

hmm indeed same for me and its surely not a typio or windows would have asked to overwrite my test csv in my dev folder lol

Give me a second to try and figure it out

Oky. Anyway, I am using Windows 7. I think there is a slight glitch in the program though, since it just crashed the CMD window it 'spawned' in. It was only after I opened a separate window and dropped the program into that window that I got the missing file error.

Oky. Anyway, I am using Windows 7. I think there is a slight glitch in the program though, since it just crashed the CMD window it 'spawned' in. It was only after I opened a separate window and dropped the program into that window that I got the missing file error.

Weird even if the mapgen crashes the console window shouldn\'t, it should just show prompt with amystical exception message that\'s usefull to me. mapgen doesn\'t do anything with the command window, it wouldn\'t know how lol, I don\'t :P

There is some data you collected I need to check, I think you\'ve found an oversight of mine but this needs some figuring out, expect an update soon when I have it sorted.

Important to mention maybe, the data itself is fine lol.. it\'s how mapgen deals with it. ksp can give some weird lon and lat\'s I thought I accounted for all of it but apparently it can be weirder :)

The problem could also be on my side, since it worked on my other computer. I don\'t really know if that was a previous version though :/

Question was this csv recorded on a computer that, how to put it politely, doesn\'t run ksp quite as well as you\'d want to?

That might be important for me, because I never seen coordinates like these from ksp before. and I have, *checks, 2.47 mb of 'srtm' data of my own to compare to collected with this version of the module.

Weird even if the mapgen crashes the console window shouldn\'t, it should just show prompt with amystical exception message that\'s usefull to me. mapgen doesn\'t do anything with the command window, it wouldn\'t know how lol, I don\'t :P

There is some data you collected I need to check, I think you\'ve found an oversight of mine but this needs some figuring out, expect an update soon when I have it sorted.

Glad I could help ;P

Question was this csv recorded on a computer that, how to put it politely, doesn\'t run ksp quite as well as you\'d want to?

That might be important for me, because I never seen coordinates like these from ksp before. and I have, *checks, 2.47 mb of 'srtm' data of my own to compare to collected with this version of the module.

Actually, This PC is the better one AFAIK.

4gb ram, Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2,3GHz dual.

It scores 4,7 at the Windows Game scale thingy, but that system is generally bollocks.

Edit: Laptops, both of them, by the way

Actually, This PC is the better one AFAIK.

4gb ram, Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2,3GHz dual.

It scores 4,7 at the Windows Game scale thingy, but that system is generally bollocks.

Edit: Laptops, both of them, by the way

It\'s fixed, expect an updated version any moment.

here\'s your data generated while you wait

isa_RAM_Mun_Topo_400x200%20x%204000m_.png

I think I wrote in the readme and this post that it only maps the mun for now. Mapping Kerbin is not realistic at the moment because there is nothing to map when you are orbiting 70 km away from the surface or higher. The game changes the resolution of terrain depending on how close you are to the terrain and eventually makes it a low poly sphere I suspect and possibly drops the collision mesh completely. Iow there\'s nothing to scan but -1.

I might enable a separate kerbin file if there is demand but you\'d need to map with a plane or just do area maps with a rover or something when I get around to implementing generating area maps.

Crashed on the Mun (MechJeb can be quite hit and miss) and still no csv.... running version 1.4.1 just released XD

EDIT: never mind, I missed the part about only working on the active stage....

But seriously, it\'s really simple, this is my first c# learning project, when I started my first line of code thursday I didn\'t know a word of c#.

can you tell me/ link what or how you are being taught of the coding? i would like to know. great job btw, i will use this myself.

Post the source code as per the guidelines, or this thread will be locked and taken down.

I still don\'t agree with that specific rule. For coders that want to protect their work, I think a process of peer review, a quick check that it\'s not anything harmful would be a nice alternative to the normal method of full open-source. If you want to release it instantly, then you can just make it open source. But, if you want to take a step toward protecting your code, submit it for the peer review process and take a bit of extra time to do so.

I still don\'t agree with that specific rule. For coders that want to protect their work, I think a process of peer review, a quick check that it\'s not anything harmful would be a nice alternative to the normal method of full open-source. If you want to release it instantly, then you can just make it open source. But, if you want to take a step toward protecting your code, submit it for the peer review process and take a bit of extra time to do so.

Nova, until they get some security holes in the plugin interface fixed, the potential harm one can do with a plugin out weighs your need to keep your code private. You are perfectly welcome to do so, just don\'t post your work on the site.

At such a time in the future when the ability of a plugin is limited to within the scope of the game, this rule will be revised.

I would like to reiterate, please post the source code or this thread will be temporarily moved from public view.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

So i left my mapper cruising at 3200/3500m and went home to work... I came back and it was at 5800/5400 ... does anyone know what happened?

Btw.. it was too high to map just after 3 hours...

Is it physics bug?

Nova, until they get some security holes in the plugin interface fixed, the potential harm one can do with a plugin out weighs your need to keep your code private. You are perfectly welcome to do so, just don\'t post your work on the site.

At such a time in the future when the ability of a plugin is limited to within the scope of the game, this rule will be revised.

I would like to reiterate, please post the source code or this thread will be temporarily moved from public view.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

But that\'s just it - his request is reasonable, would still mean plugins released that way are secure, and wouldn\'t prevent the open-source option. As he said, it would simply mean more time required to be able to put the mod out there if you wanted the privacy.

But that\'s just it - his request is reasonable, would still mean plugins released that way are secure, and wouldn\'t prevent the open-source option. As he said, it would simply mean more time required to be able to put the mod out there if you wanted the privacy.

But it\'s hardly relevant to this thread is it? Damion\'s response was the correct one in context, as he can hardly submit it to review before posting it now.