[.90] Inigma's I-80 Mk. III Jet (84 Kerbals) Now also a Space Shuttle Carrier! A KSP FIRST! [VIDEO]

inigma

UPDATED AGAIN! It was bound to happen. With all these space shuttle threads, and now jetliners, it was only a matter of time...

May I present to you the I-80 Mark III Space Shuttle Carrier (and 84 Kerbal Passenger Jetliner) (I borrowed Westi29's fully orbit capable stock Space Shuttle, but it could work with any):

OidZkcM.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Old info:

I've spent a few more hours based on suggestions by others, and have perfected the I-80 series. The I-80 Mark III is now available for download. Many thanks for CGroinder for helping me test and redesign this craft. Only 118 parts. Carries 84 Kerbals to mostly halfway around Kerbin.

Even Older info:

After hearing how hard it was to create and fly Mk.3 aircraft, I thought I'd try. 2 hours. The editor gizmos are amazing! Makes designing craft much much easier. It's not that hard as long as you stick to basic aircraft design principles. Lots of fun. I'm halfway tempted to make a Tupolov just to prove it can be landed at KSC.

I started with a 4 engine Island hopper, a basic Mk. 3 four passenger jet to understand the concepts. 30 minutes. Reduced it to just two engines. Then I went for an 84 passenger jet. 1 hour 20 mins to design and test. Both land fine at KSC and at the Island. Enjoy!

These jets can grab air and fly up without relying on the drop offs.

This is the I-80 Mark III, after many more hours of testing, this flys amazingly well... for a jetliner.

NeNIl55.png

5nhkQAK.png

The I-4 and I-80 Mk. I:

The I-4 Island Hopper

http://www./download/kc88ykina4ldey1/I-4.craft

The I-80 Mk. III Jetliner

http://www./download/aox9nkz7jc935zd/I-80_Mk__III.craft

The I-80 Mk. III Space Shuttle Carrier with Westin29's Space Shuttle

http://www./download/gs1668czh5kb414/I-80_Mk__III_Shuttle_Carrier.craft

Practice take off and landing with the Island Hopper to get a feel for landing Mk.3 aircraft. Being heavy they require a gentle touchdown.

To land the I-4, one third throttle, less than 5 m/s drop rate.

To land the I-80, two thirds throttle, less than 5 m/s drop rate.

Landing on the Island with the I-80 takes some practice but with the I-80 Mark III it's not near impossible anymore. Tip: the Island runway is 134m above sea level. If you come in at two thirds throttle with less than 5 m/s drop about 5-10 meters above 134m, you will be able to land it beautifully. Just hit your brakes and throttle down the second or two after you touchdown. Watch your angle and your back wheels, you want to catch your back wheels, not your tail, on landing. 20m practice and you will nail it every time. Unlock the wheels and invert the rear wheels to turn it around on the island and take off again.

Edited by inigma

Well yeah...

Can I have both downloads please?

Here you go!

The I-4 Island Hopper

http://www./download/kc88ykina4ldey1/I-4.craft

The I-80 Jetliner

http://www./download/f40wk5lu4h2vvx2/I-80.craft

Practice take off and landing with the Island Hopper to get a feel for landing Mk.3 aircraft. Being heavy they require a gentle touchdown.

To land the I-4, one third throttle, less than 5 m/s drop rate.

To land the I-80, two thirds throttle, less than 5 m/s drop rate.

Landing on the Island with the I-80 takes some practice. Tip: the Island runway is 134m above sea level. If you come in at two thirds throttle with less than 5 m/s drop about 5-10 meters above 134m, you will be able to land it beautifully. Just hit your brakes and throttle down the second or two after you touchdown. Watch your angle and your back wheels, you want to catch your back wheels, not your tail, on landing. :) 20m practice and you will nail it every time. Unlock the wheels and invert the rear wheels to turn it around on the island and take off again.

Try making a plane that can circle Kerbin, and drop 2 full Jumbo-64 fuel tanks out of cargo bays without using any of the fuel in the tanks. Both at the same time.

Try making a self destruct device that can blow up Kerbin without using any one of Danny's Planetbusters or any engines.

As I spent over 5 hours to finally get a Mk3 plane into the air (looked very much like your island hopper) I am going to give this a try, screens will follow, maybe fraps if I am in the mood xD

Edit: That was my first try, let me have acrack at it again in the morning hehe

Edit2: Updated the YT-Video to a slightly better resolution, so it doesn´t look that awful anymore :blush:

Edited by CGroinder

Awesome vid! The stock settings are flyable. I never thought about tweaking the ailerons and locking them out of pitch, yaw, and roll. I've only flown it as-is. Warp greater than 2 is not friendly to the I-80. More struts required if you're going to do that. lol. Very flattering to see someone flying one of my creations. Even more flattering to see a vid. :) Thank you.

When lining up for your island runway landing, hit F5 to save so you can F9 reload after crashing so you can practice the landing without having to fly all the way there. You were too high for the landing. You have to come in at about 140m to nail landing it as soon as you are a few dozen meters from passing over the lip of the runway. Your horizontal speed was good. It's your vertical speed that kills many an I-80 trainee pilot. Very good attempt though. Not sure though if tweaking the ailerons makes it easier or more difficult to land on the runway as I never tweak them. Look forward to seeing if you can nail it regardless. :)

Edited by inigma

Aaaaaand just 30 minutes short of the new year I managed to land it! (Yes I have no friends :D )

I added some struts for the wings, trippled the back landing gear, and adjusted the elevators a bit down.

Yes I can go proud into the next year, that was alot of fun, and I am glad to now be a official I-80 pilot :D

Happy New Year to everybody!

Aaaaaand just 30 minutes short of the new year I managed to land it! (Yes I have no friends :D )

I added some struts for the wings, trippled the back landing gear, and adjusted the elevators a bit down.

Yes I can go proud into the next year, that was alot of fun, and I am glad to now be a official I-80 pilot :D

Happy New Year to everybody!

http://youtu.be/lGvHRKtcbbU

Awesome job!

After you get done celebrating the arrival of 2015, and get some sleep, feel free post a link do a download of your modified I-80 so I can share it in my OP if you like. I've been meaning to find a better strut situation. If after perfecting it, I wonder if we could petition Squad to make the I-4 and I-80 as stock craft in the next KSP release.

Happy New Years!

Edited by inigma

The I-80 can be converted into a long range bomber. But my craft are peaceful.

Has anyone tried landing the I-80?

The I-80......... Gosh is that thing hard to land, no pics cuz well, i reverted flight before i thought of taking a pic, and it took an hour to get it the first time :P

The I-80......... Gosh is that thing hard to land, no pics cuz well, i reverted flight before i thought of taking a pic, and it took an hour to get it the first time :P

I discovered it's easier to land if the wings are strutted up more, and you double up on the landing gear. Most crashes result in the vertical force slamming one's engines into the runway on touchdown. This is fixed by strutting the wings so they aren't as flexible. I'll be releasing an updated I-80 that looks and flys better. Bear in mind I only spent 1.5 hours designing the I-80 without any prior Mk.3 building experience. I want to tweak it to fly better. After all, someone posted a Stratofortress that is super easy to fly compared to the I-80. I want to at least equal that.

Updated OP with video and download link. CGroinder, if you've got your version ready for download, let me know.

Sorry for taking so long, but HERE is the .craft file.

Changes are the following:

- Strutted up the Wings so they won´t flex that much anymore, hence enhancing flight stability

- Lowered the Elevators (those pitch things on the back) to get the Center of Lift more in line with the Center of Mass

- Trippled the back landing gear

- and every control surface has its purpose now i.e. roll only on the ailerons on the wing tips and yaw only controlable via the rudder

Edit: I can´t find the thread were I found THIS gem, but it always helps when building aircrafts. All credit for this goes to Keptin!

Edited by CGroinder

I have updated the OP to showcase the I-80 Mark III. It is ready for download. Very stable, flies up without needing the whole runway, lands beautifully, even for novices. Let me know what you think!

I realigned the elevators, heightened the tail, doubled the landing gear (triple not needed), rearranged the fuel lines and struts from CGroinder's version, canted the front wings to give a slight positive lift, and lowered them from the windows to look normal, and moved them back for balance. Finally was able to move the wheels back to a more stable landing position. Very stable craft now. Very beautiful. Let me know how you think it flies!

I-80 Mk. III:

http://www./download/aox9nkz7jc935zd/I-80_Mk__III.craft

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.