[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

That config also relies on detaileve1, though it did give me an idea.

I got a copy of the file from EVE 7-4, along with detail1 and duna1 (which are also used), and put them in BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures. Tekto's clouds now work as expected, and Sarnus' clouds look better.

I'll go through the config for the gas giants and report back if there are any other missing files.

EDIT: There are not. In the off chance that someone else is trying to fix the problem I had, you need to download EVE 7-4. Open it up in whatever you use for zip files, and copy detail1, detaileve1, and duna1 from its GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures to your KSP installation's GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures.

Edited by leopardenthusiast

http://imgur.com/0GfVJFH,4aGAuQq,Qdn8wqr,C4fPcWf

(I can't post an album because Imgur is being a scrub today)

I'm getting a minor bug where Hale's PQS Terrain is not colored, it just has Gilly's Textures. It's still shaped like Hale, but not colored.

Another neat thing I observed with Hale is that it's SOI is so small compared to itself, that the camera is actually clipping through the 1/6000 Scaled Space mesh of Hale before you reach the SOI. It's pretty funny, and I know you can't exactly fix it.

Also, Ovok is cool and weird. It throws off my normal perceptions on how orbital mechanics should work.

Full album of the Kerb-Seen-Ee/Joy-Guns Space Probe coming soon.

http://imgur.com/0GfVJFH,4aGAuQq,Qdn8wqr,C4fPcWf

(I can't post an album because Imgur is being a scrub today)

I'm getting a minor bug where Hale's PQS Terrain is not colored, it just has Gilly's Textures. It's still shaped like Hale, but not colored.

Another neat thing I observed with Hale is that it's SOI is so small compared to itself, that the camera is actually clipping through the 1/6000 Scaled Space mesh of Hale before you reach the SOI. It's pretty funny, and I know you can't exactly fix it.

Also, Ovok is cool and weird. It throws off my normal perceptions on how orbital mechanics should work.

Full album of the Kerb-Seen-Ee/Joy-Guns Space Probe coming soon.

I get that bug with Hale too.

I modified the OPM KSPRC (1.5.5) config from the OP further. There is a config for OPM & EVE:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also there is a config for OPM & KSPRC with auroras (no seperate EVE-installation needed):

Download: OPM-EVE-config or OPM-KSPRC-config.

Installation: Install OPM. Install EVE or KSPRC and the according config.

Note: Glow and auroras are stored in seperate files so they can be easily removed.

I honestly have no idea. It depends on how close to the planets you want to pass. If you want to pass above the atmosphere, in some cases you'll be thrown out of the system.

You need a computer program to figure this out.

Well, there is 2 programs I've found for KSP which can sort of do that, KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool and Flyby Finder for KSP. They are both completely great software, yes indeed, but they only have the regular KSP planets, and I don't know if you can add more planets to them.

Have you used any of these programs? And if you do, is there a way to add more planets?

I replicated the NASA's Cassini Mission to Saturn​ in Kerbal Space Program using a mod that adds the outer planets Sarnus, Urlum, and Neidon.

It was really really beautiful. Especially because most of the mission was done late at night with all the lights turned off. (And I was listening to this playlist: http://bit.ly/18OzsK7 )

The clock Rendezvous is an easy-mode, but longer waiting rendezvous strategy, where you do a hohmann transfer at any time, then at periapsis, do a burn to get an encounter on the next orbit, and it's named like this because it takes a really long time, and during the burn it looks like you're winding around a clock.

Edited by GregroxMun

I sent a probe out to Sarnus to land on Hale, and to save a lot of dV I aerocaptured using Sarnus' atmosphere. This is with FAR and DRE installed.

It's a strange experience. Note the lack of loss of ablative shielding and the strange re entry heating visuals.

I also ran into problems similar to those of GregroxMun's.

Edited by Jodo42

The first moons of Urlum are here! Finally you'll have a good reason to take a probe or spacecraft to the light blue ice giant. This update adds three moons to Urlum: Polta, Priax and Wal. We originally planned to release another moon too, but over the weekend we decided we weren't happy with it yet. Rather than hold up release of the other moonsor release a sub-par moon, we decided to leave that moon for the next update.

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

Note: if this post is still fresh, I recommend downloading from KerbalStuff as Curseforge can take a while for files to get approved

Here are the changes in the update:

-Added three new moons to Urlum: Polta, Priax and Wal
-Added licenses to the download as per the rules
-Added AVC support with a .version file
-Resized Slate's color map to reduce memory use at a negligible loss in in-game quality
-Tweaked Tekto's atmosphereAmbient in the PlanetShine config to make it as much as other atmospheric bodies

The low- and high-res texture downloads will be updated tomorrow or at least in the next few days. We've noticed some consistency issues, so we're going to take a good look and make sure everything looks the way it should in each resolution.

Here are some screenshots:

I hope you like them and have a lot of fun with them!

You guys always thread the needle between silly looking moons and cool looking moons, and always manage to come out on top.

All three moons look fantastic! I can't wait to head out to Urlum. It's always been my favorite gas giant in terms of appearance in this mod- something about the dark, faint rings makes it really beautiful.

As always, thanks for keeping the quality of your work high. I think I speak for everyone when I say we're more than willing to wait for moons, if they turn out the same quality as the rest of the mod.

The first moons of Urlum are here! Finally you'll have a good reason to take a probe or spacecraft to the light blue ice giant. This update adds three moons to Urlum: Polta, Priax and Wal. We originally planned to release another moon too, but over the weekend we decided we weren't happy with it yet. Rather than hold up release of the other moons or release a sub-par moon, we decided to leave that moon for the next update.

http://i.imgur.com/FRO6RIX.png http://i.imgur.com/WhwiS8Y.png

Note: if this post is still fresh, I recommend downloading from KerbalStuff as Curseforge can take a while for files to get approved

Here are the changes in the update:

-Added three new moons to Urlum: Polta, Priax and Wal
-Added licenses to the download as per the rules
-Added AVC support with a .version file
-Resized Slate's color map to reduce memory use at a negligible loss in in-game quality
-Tweaked Tekto's atmosphereAmbient in the PlanetShine config to make it as much as other atmospheric bodies

The low- and high-res texture downloads will be updated tomorrow or at least in the next few days. We've noticed some consistency issues, so we're going to take a good look and make sure everything looks the way it should in each resolution.

Here are some screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/Tbd85

I hope you like them and have a lot of fun with them!

YESS! Beautiful.

Thank you.

On an unrelated note, we intended this update to have a bit more bones to it. But we had to update the mod because we didn't have the licenses in the download as requested by mod DuoDex. Seeing as the update was done enough we decided we'd just do 1.6 instead of a stupid 1.5.5.1.1, just to satisfy the forum rules. In the next update we'll get to things we originally intended for this update such as the fourth moon, FinalFrontier badges and an optional config that rearranges other mod planets so that they don't get in the way of the OPM planets. We'll also try to do things like biomes and custom resources.

Again, really fantastic work here, I love the combination of both interesting aspects of Iapetus and Miranda that make up Wal - it seems truly unique! :)

It's good to see that you are also refraining from releasing the fourth moon to improvements quality. These three seem incredibly detailed and would gladly wait longer to have a nicely rounded system! (Hopefully it will have some sort of atmosphere?)

I sent a probe out to Sarnus to land on Hale, and to save a lot of dV I aerocaptured using Sarnus' atmosphere. This is with FAR and DRE installed.

It's a strange experience. Note the lack of loss of ablative shielding and the strange re entry heating visuals.

I also ran into problems similar to those of GregroxMun's.

http://imgur.com/a/o2brb

The only way to fix the scaledspace clipping bug would be to increase Hale's SOI (GeeASL, Mass, or distance to Sarnus).

- - - Updated - - -

Would you consider expanding the Joolean system as well? Maybe adding a Callisto to the inner Galilean system? Or a few more potatomoons?

Just out of interest, can you release any information about where Urlums fourth moon will orbit - within Wals orbit or beyond it?

Both. That's all I'll say.

The only way to fix the scaledspace clipping bug would be to increase Hale's SOI (GeeASL, Mass, or distance to Sarnus).

- - - Updated - - -

Would you consider expanding the Joolean system as well? Maybe adding a Callisto to the inner Galilean system? Or a few more potatomoons?

Not at the moment. There's a ton more interesting stuff to add to the outer Kerbol system (comet, a Charon analog for Plock, etc.) than another Joolian moon.

When I saw the moons for Urlum are out I was like "YES"! I will soon send a probe to Urlum! Do the moons have science reports?

No custom biomes yet, but you can get science from the moons already.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.