[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Hello,

Sorry to bother, but I'm having trouble getting the clouds to display for OPM. I have the 1.5.5 version, the OPM AVP cloud config files installed, followed the AVP install instructions, etc. Right now, aside from OPM and the mods identified as needed by OPM and AVP, I have nothing else added.

I've tried doing fresh 'installs' for AVP (as well as reinstalling KSP itself) to correct the issue without much success. I did try resizing some of the AVP textures to be less memory consuming and am still checking if this is the cause of the problem, but the clouds showed up fine on the stock planets.

I'd be most greatly if anyone could point me in the right direction for getting the clouds to display. They were just fine in the 1.5.2 version.

Edit 1: Overwriting Tekto's cfg with Eve's settings didn't seem to do it hasn't worked.

Edited by technoDaleks

Hello,

Sorry to bother, but I'm having trouble getting the clouds to display for OPM. I have the 1.5.5 version, the OPM AVP cloud config files installed, followed the AVP install instructions, etc. Right now, aside from OPM and the mods identified as needed by OPM and AVP, I have nothing else added.

I've tried doing fresh 'installs' for AVP (as well as reinstalling KSP itself) to correct the issue without much success. I did try resizing some of the AVP textures to be less memory consuming and am still checking if this is the cause of the problem, but the clouds showed up fine on the stock planets.

I'd be most greatly if anyone could point me in the right direction for getting the clouds to display. They were just fine in the 1.5.2 version.

Edit 1: Overwriting Tektos cfg with Eve's settings didn't seem to do it hasn't worked.

I ran into a similar problem myself but was not bothered by it because I made my own, bespoke config for the outer planets anyway. However, one this that I did notice worked was copying the contents of the Tekto config file and pasting it at the end of the 'cloudLayers-Astronomer'sVisualPack' config file in the same sub-folder. That should at least get clouds for Tekto working! :)

lsnlSVG.png

Here's a WIP screenshot of one of the four moons coming to Urlum. This is Polta and I feel it's the least interesting of Urlum's moons, which is a good thing because it means that the other three are even better.

I ran into a similar problem myself but was not bothered by it because I made my own, bespoke config for the outer planets anyway. However, one this that I did notice worked was copying the contents of the Tekto config file and pasting it at the end of the 'cloudLayers-Astronomer'sVisualPack' config file in the same sub-folder. That should at least get clouds for Tekto working! :)

Tried this and it worked! Even with resized textures. However, the same fix doesn't work for the the gas giants - placing their settings in the AVP Eve & Jool file breaks the clouds. Putting them in the main config file doesn't do anything. I don't know if it has something to do with the move to DDS for the planet textures or not, or why it would only impact the gas giants. Or why switching things around in config files would matter, even. Really wish I could get the gas giant clouds to come up, but I haven't a clue how to correct it.

It couldn't have anything to do with the OPM gas giants calling for auroras in the cfg when I don't have the aurora pack installed, is it?

Edit1: HNNKKKKK!!! It was, I got my clouds now. Thanks hazard-ish!!!

Edited by technoDaleks

When all is said and done, will OPM and OP+ be able to coexist, or will they merge at some point so we don't have overlapping moons for the Outer Planets?

I see OP+ as a temporary addition to give the remaining gas giants moons whilst we wait for OPM to develop and finish them. The quality of OPM far succeeds that of OP+ so I doubt the two will merge in the future.

I might be right in thinking OP+ adds other objects to orbit the sun though, so possibly its creators could add those to a separate mod that can be installed with OPM?

Here's a WIP screenshot of one of the four moons coming to Urlum. This is Polta and I feel it's the least interesting of Urlum's moons, which is a good thing because it means that the other three are even better.

Nice - I like the look of the terrain! I wonder what sort of size that is though.

http://i.imgur.com/lsnlSVG.png

Every time you post a new screenshot I'm amazed on how good you make things look like.

Congrats to you and eudae for the great job, cant wait for the new moons to pop into existence

When all is said and done, will OPM and OP+ be able to coexist, or will they merge at some point so we don't have overlapping moons for the Outer Planets?
I see OP+ as a temporary addition to give the remaining gas giants moons whilst we wait for OPM to develop and finish them. The quality of OPM far succeeds that of OP+ so I doubt the two will merge in the future.

I might be right in thinking OP+ adds other objects to orbit the sun though, so possibly its creators could add those to a separate mod that can be installed with OPM?

The version I'm working on fills the gaps that CaptRobau probably won't fill anytime soon, except for the Plock-Khato part which he may integrate. The only moons it adds right now are for Sarnus, and when Urlum's moons are released I'll fill in it's gaps too.

The version I'm working on fills the gaps that CaptRobau probably won't fill anytime soon, except for the Plock-Khato part which he may integrate. The only moons it adds right now are for Sarnus, and when Urlum's moons are released I'll fill in it's gaps too.

He already told me that he likes "the binary orbit idea, but its implementation is just not stock-a-like enough" so I wouldn't count on anything like that bein included in OPM. Also if you look at the orbital and physical parameters of plock they are kinda odd considering how accurate are the other analogues in OPM.

I think that when they will be done with the gas giants and will take a look to plock, they will change a whole lot. Not only skins and models, but also orbits and physical parameters.

Anyway when the final version of Plock and the charon analogue will be added to OPM it will be fairly easy to add the binary feature with a .cfg file, keeping the bodies more or less untouched

A few weeks ish. I'm swamped with RL stuff atm so my terrain-making and coloring jobs are on hold for the moment.

I'd just be happy if I could know the plans for all the moons so I'd know what to add and not add to Urlum in OuterPlanetsPlus.

Will Urlum get that icy moon with an atmosphere thinner than duna's?

I know that idea was tossed around for a little bit

I know that idea got tossed around a little bit but I have no idea whether it will be implemented. One thing that I would love to see is a moon with a thin atmosphere (like half of Dunas) but with oxygen. I don't mind on the size of the moon, anything between the Mun and Laythe could be cool! Anyway, this would mean that jet engines would function at high speeds although the wouldn't produce as much thrust as on Kerbin. Preferably I would like to see this around Urlum but who knows :P

Tried this and it worked! Even with resized textures. However, the same fix doesn't work for the the gas giants - placing their settings in the AVP Eve & Jool file breaks the clouds. Putting them in the main config file doesn't do anything. I don't know if it has something to do with the move to DDS for the planet textures or not, or why it would only impact the gas giants. Or why switching things around in config files would matter, even. Really wish I could get the gas giant clouds to come up, but I haven't a clue how to correct it.

It couldn't have anything to do with the OPM gas giants calling for auroras in the cfg when I don't have the aurora pack installed, is it?

Edit1: HNNKKKKK!!! It was, I got my clouds now. Thanks hazard-ish!!!

I'm glad everything worked out in the end and that I could help! :)

Edited by hazard-ish

CaptRobau: it apears that in the Lowres textures, there isn't an Ovok normal.dds file in there... I think that could be the reason why I'm not getting your planets... with the lite version.

Yes, if one .cfg is "corrupt" at one point, Kopernicus won't load.

So, i'm downloading the normal version that you have on KerbalStuff right know and I'm going to check if its there, and if it is i'm going to splice it in and check to see if it works then

Update: Hurray!! Its working now! SO! now I need to tell you Capt, the low res-res textures DOES NOT have the Ovok Normal.dds, and that prevents it from working properly. If you could fix that in the next versions, that would be appreciated :3

Edited by Drakoflame

He already told me that he likes "the binary orbit idea, but its implementation is just not stock-a-like enough" so I wouldn't count on anything like that bein included in OPM. Also if you look at the orbital and physical parameters of plock they are kinda odd considering how accurate are the other analogues in OPM.

I think that when they will be done with the gas giants and will take a look to plock, they will change a whole lot. Not only skins and models, but also orbits and physical parameters.

Anyway when the final version of Plock and the charon analogue will be added to OPM it will be fairly easy to add the binary feature with a .cfg file, keeping the bodies more or less untouched

Plock's orbital params are based on that of stock Eeloo, except its SMA which is based on Pluto. I wanted to keep part of the old Eeloo alive, so I didn't match the stats in the same was as I did with the other planets. Still it's a pretty good approximation of Pluto: inclined, little bit of eccentricity, crossing Neptune/Neidon's orbit, etc. Its physical parameters such as gravity and radius are already based on Pluto though. It's smaller than the Mun, just like Pluto and the Moon. And its gravity is also very similar.

Nice - I like the look of the terrain! I wonder what sort of size that is though.

Mun sized if I remember correctly, definitely under the 300 km radius.

CaptRobau: it apears that in the Lowres textures, there isn't an Ovok normal.dds file in there... I think that could be the reason why I'm not getting your planets... with the lite version.

So, i'm downloading the normal version that you have on KerbalStuff right know and I'm going to check if its there, and if it is i'm going to splice it in and check to see if it works then

Update: Hurray!! Its working now! SO! now I need to tell you Capt, the low res-res textures DOES NOT have the Ovok Normal.dds, and that prevents it from working properly. If you could fix that in the next versions, that would be appreciated :3

The normal of Ovok is blank, so doesn't need multiple resolutions. This is an issue with the lite version, not the low-res texture pack. I'll try to put out a fix for that when I have the time. Thanks for notifying me.

- - - Updated - - -

I know that idea got tossed around a little bit but I have no idea whether it will be implemented.

It will, but I won't say when or around what gas giant.

- - - Updated - - -

They'll co-exist. I communicated with Augustus to prevent overlap for the upcoming Urlum moons.

- - - Updated - - -

Every time you post a new screenshot I'm amazed on how good you make things look like.

Congrats to you and eudae for the great job, cant wait for the new moons to pop into existence

Thanks.

Plock's orbital params are based on that of stock Eeloo, except its SMA which is based on Pluto. I wanted to keep part of the old Eeloo alive, so I didn't match the stats in the same was as I did with the other planets. Still it's a pretty good approximation of Pluto: inclined, little bit of eccentricity, crossing Neptune/Neidon's orbit, etc. Its physical parameters such as gravity and radius are already based on Pluto though. It's smaller than the Mun, just like Pluto and the Moon. And its gravity is also very similar.

yeah you are actually right, Idk why I remembered it to be so different, it's actually pretty close so it was just a wrong impression I had

Well... I installed 1.5.5.1 version today, and now it's not working anymore... I removed everything from previous versions and tried again, still not working... sad.

In what way is it not working - does the game crash on startup or, for that matter, at all more than usual? Or is this a case of the planets not appearing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.