[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

This mod looks great, but I have a few suggestions to make.

Firstly, you've decided to use Sarbian's lovely DDSLoader. While certainly laudable in cutting down on load times and possibly memory usage, this can cause headaches for users, as shown above. I suggest converting your .dds files to .png and advocating for ATM usage instead.

Secondly, you have a very arcane installation method-I wasn't able to get it working after my first or second attempts. If you could package all the dependencies or make a section in the OP that makes them and their installation a little bit less unclear that would be greatly appreciated.

Again, great work!

Also, your current download links do not include a license. Please fix this.

Edited by DuoDex
didn't notice download issues

Firstly, you've decided to use Sarbian's lovely DDSLoader. While certainly laudable in cutting down on load times and possibly memory usage, this can cause headaches for users, as shown above. I suggest converting your .dds files to .png and advocating for ATM usage instead. (1)

Secondly, you have a very arcane installation method-I wasn't able to get it working after my first or second attempts. If you could package all the dependencies or make a section in the OP that makes them and their installation a little bit less unclear that would be greatly appreciated. (2)

Again, great work!

I develop OuterPlanetsPlus, and for clarity I'm going to list my criticisms of your statement:

1. Everyone uses OpenGL. ATM is practically pointless unless you're insane and playing RO with CMES and HD Laztek.

2. It's easy to install, how are you having issues?

Secondly, you have a very arcane installation method-I wasn't able to get it working after my first or second attempts. If you could package all the dependencies or make a section in the OP that makes them and their installation a little bit less unclear that would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what you're talking about, OPM is incredibly easy to install with all the necessary dependencies right in the box.

Firstly, you've decided to use Sarbian's lovely DDSLoader. While certainly laudable in cutting down on load times and possibly memory usage, this can cause headaches for users, as shown above. I suggest converting your .dds files to .png and advocating for ATM usage instead.

Again, great work!

1. DDSLoader isn't causing the issues of planets not appearing. Incompatibilities with certain mod combinations, using older versions of KSP or other mods, or in a recent case a faulty download for the lite version are the causes for that.

2. This mod packages all dependencies. Only thing left out of the download are the optional supported mods itself like Karbonite or Distant Object Enhancement. If you want the planets, the moons and the rings and all that main stuff then the normal download is fine. It's just drag and drop, although a generic mod switch like JSGME will make installation/deinstallation even easier.

3. I'll put the license into the download links in the next update, no problem.

1. DDSLoader isn't causing the issues of planets not appearing. Incompatibilities with certain mod combinations, using older versions of KSP or other mods, or in a recent case a faulty download for the lite version are the causes for that.

2. This mod packages all dependencies. Only thing left out of the download are the optional supported mods itself like Karbonite or Distant Object Enhancement. If you want the planets, the moons and the rings and all that main stuff then the normal download is fine. It's just drag and drop, although a generic mod switch like JSGME will make installation/deinstallation even easier.

3. I'll put the license into the download links in the next update, no problem.

1. Your choice. 'Twas merely a suggestion.

2. Yeah, I was having issues with an ancient copy of KittopiaTech, resolved by a clean install.

3. *puts on mod fez* The sooner the better *removes mod fez*

I've been having a lot of issues with my game, and I think I've traced it back to OPM. Thanks to the debug menu option for "Show Biomes on Map", I've realized Minmus' biomes have been replaced by Ovok's biomes. Ovok still has Ovok's biomes. It looks like Tylo and Slate are both using Slate's biomes, and Gilly and Hale are both using Hale's biomes.

Any ideas or advice on how to fix these things? I can put together screenshots demonstrating it, if necessary. Is there a way to show this in log files?

I've been having a lot of issues with my game, and I think I've traced it back to OPM. Thanks to the debug menu option for "Show Biomes on Map", I've realized Minmus' biomes have been replaced by Ovok's biomes. Ovok still has Ovok's biomes. It looks like Tylo and Slate are both using Slate's biomes, and Gilly and Hale are both using Hale's biomes.

Any ideas or advice on how to fix these things? I can put together screenshots demonstrating it, if necessary. Is there a way to show this in log files?

Are you using the latest version of OPM and have you tried on a fresh install?

Are you using the latest version of OPM and have you tried on a fresh install?

No. Somehow, it turns out I'm running 1.4. I thought I had put 1.5.5 in there. Let me try that. Do I need to delete everything and then copy/merge, or can I just overwrite?

No. Somehow, it turns out I'm running 1.4. I thought I had put 1.5.5 in there. Let me try that. Do I need to delete everything and then copy/merge, or can I just overwrite?

If you don't want issues you'll have to do a full deinstall of the mod. If you overwrite you risk leaving behind stuff that's no longer used or used differently and that can lead to the mod not functioning properly.

- - - Updated - - -

2. Yeah, I was having issues with an ancient copy of KittopiaTech, resolved by a clean install.

I've had several such issues before, so while the installation itself probably doesn't need any guiding, updating and other things could probably benefit from a troubleshooting guide in the OP.

Here they are :

You seem have all the textures, so that doesn't seem to be an issues.

Your mods also all seem to be up to date. If they're not, do so. There are so many mods though that I can't see which one could possible be the problem. Only thing I can recommend is trying to run to install OPM 1.5.5.1 on a clean install, to see if it's a mod incompatibility.

Just popping in to say this is a fantastic mod; the logistics of getting something out to one of these planets while running remote tech and TAC life support are quite daunting for either a manned or unmanned mission, doubly so if installed alongside a mod that adds in RTG decay, since solar panels are effectively useless beyond the orbit of Jool.

When all is said and done, will OPM and OP+ be able to coexist, or will they merge at some point so we don't have overlapping moons for the Outer Planets?

I don't like the idea of merging. OPM+ doesn't have the realism, vanilla flavor or actual quality of OPM. I'm not even sure why this mod exists.

OPM is a work in progress. Forking WIPs is quite an annoying thing in my opinion...

Just popping in to say this is a fantastic mod; the logistics of getting something out to one of these planets while running remote tech and TAC life support are quite daunting for either a manned or unmanned mission, doubly so if installed alongside a mod that adds in RTG decay, since solar panels are effectively useless beyond the orbit of Jool.

Indeed it is. One of the best mods for KSP ever.

Amazing mod, but i have a few questions and whatnot-

1- How to I get clouds and such? is it just EVE of do you have to install AVP? Because AVP is a pain in the bahookie to install. If it does use AVP then do you think you could contact rbray and Astronomer and you could release the folders ready to go into Gamedata, EVE, AVP, and OPM already installed? (Hooray, acronyms) That would make my life a lot easier, and I would love you forever for it.

2- If you can't do number 1, do you think you could explain how to get AVP working? I'm assuming it's Interstellar. Also, I'm on Mac, and running Jumbo3.2 (but willing to uninstall it for outer planets + visuals) if that means anything.

3- I LOVELOVELOVE THIS MOD. THANK YOU FOR PUTTING THIS IN MY LIFE.

SmallFatFetus

I don't like the idea of merging. OPM+ doesn't have the realism, vanilla flavor or actual quality of OPM. I'm not even sure why this mod exists.

OPM is a work in progress. Forking WIPs is quite an annoying thing in my opinion...

Indeed it is. One of the best mods for KSP ever.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm constantly blown away by the attention and praise this mod has received. It really helps CaptRobau and I to go the extra mile for everyone here.

Amazing mod, but i have a few questions and whatnot-

1- How to I get clouds and such? is it just EVE of do you have to install AVP? Because AVP is a pain in the bahookie to install. If it does use AVP then do you think you could contact rbray and Astronomer and you could release the folders ready to go into Gamedata, EVE, AVP, and OPM already installed? (Hooray, acronyms) That would make my life a lot easier, and I would love you forever for it.

2- If you can't do number 1, do you think you could explain how to get AVP working? I'm assuming it's Interstellar. Also, I'm on Mac, and running Jumbo3.2 (but willing to uninstall it for outer planets + visuals) if that means anything.

3- I LOVELOVELOVE THIS MOD. THANK YOU FOR PUTTING THIS IN MY LIFE.

SmallFatFetus

If you have AVP Interstellar installed with the Eve & Jool Clouds + Auroras extras, the configs provided by OPM should work if they are in the BoulderCo/Clouds folder.

It doesn't work with CKAN.

Besides, Ckan is for people who don't know how to move files around xD

I question this. It doesn't work with CKAN because no one has provided a config file.

CKAN is for people who dislike having their copy of modded KSP turn into ModManager 2k15.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.