[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Hello,

I am probly a tad behind on the technology here...but is it possible to rename Ovok and Slate...Ovok looks like a Slate planet and Slate doesnt come close to being Slate ! IS the normal missing from Ovok Intended?

I tried to do SIMPLE name changes in the cfg's then went further down the rabbit hole and gave up; anything I do crashes OPM; are these planets/moons hardcoded such that you cant make copies or even try to add planets/moons as it breaks OPM?

I went with KopernicisTech so I could make planets/moons; but they need ALOT of tweaking and it doesnt take much to bug them out if you dont know what you are doing in Kittopia (not sure about an extensive manual for this).

I can move planets/moons whereever I want so I may go this route as it offers up OP+ and gives me more options; I am resetting up OPM/OP+ and streaming later today.

I was also assuming that I could use this version of Kittopia in KopernicusTech; that could have been an issue over there I dont know; I hardly did any Kittopia tweaks and I still had some problems like not being able to land on the planets/moons; it dont take much as I said with Kittopia to mess things up !

Cmdr Zeta

Can you make a stram for my Kerbol+ mod too?

Also, before making planets, I was experimenting with Kittopia configs simmilar to the ones from OPM but whatever I did, it all messed up. Now, somehoe, every planet I make will have something like 71% of working properly. Right now I'm dealing with a masive bug in my Kerbol+ Dev version where new moons added around Keelon would be flung out in Keelonian orbit or around othe moons. HyperEdit also doesn't like that... It's like those moons wouldn't even have gravity!

Also, for OPM's creators... What do you use to create the Height maps? I know you then use them for textures, colorising them.

Hello,

I am probly a tad behind on the technology here...but is it possible to rename Ovok and Slate...Ovok looks like a Slate planet and Slate doesnt come close to being Slate ! IS the normal missing from Ovok Intended?

I tried to do SIMPLE name changes in the cfg's then went further down the rabbit hole and gave up; anything I do crashes OPM; are these planets/moons hardcoded such that you cant make copies or even try to add planets/moons as it breaks OPM?

I went with KopernicisTech so I could make planets/moons; but they need ALOT of tweaking and it doesnt take much to bug them out if you dont know what you are doing in Kittopia (not sure about an extensive manual for this).

I can move planets/moons whereever I want so I may go this route as it offers up OP+ and gives me more options; I am resetting up OPM/OP+ and streaming later today.

I was also assuming that I could use this version of Kittopia in KopernicusTech; that could have been an issue over there I dont know; I hardly did any Kittopia tweaks and I still had some problems like not being able to land on the planets/moons; it dont take much as I saidv with Kittopia to mess things up !

Cmdr Zeta

If you want to rename ovok all you have to do is:

Go to the opm folder, kopernicus/configs/sarnus moons/ , something like that

You'll find a cfg named ovok, go inside and change all "ovok"s with your new name.

Be carefull not to change the name of the textures.

Now go to kittopia folder, you need to change all files named ovok in whatever

name you choose, then enter the ovok.cfg and change all the names inside the file too.

Be careful not to change the textures names here too.

There you go, this should work

However note that ovok has that name because its shape resembles an egg, and ovo is latin for egg

this will be a newby question, but i can't find a how to tread on installing mods.

This first page specifies not to install over a previous installment, but not how to install.

A little help, please?

Also, will this affect my other saves? I'd like to keep my other saves stock, if possible.

I know it has something to do with moving a folder in a gamedata folder somewhere.

Edited by hobbez

this will be a newby question, but i can't find a how to tread on installing mods.

This first page specifies not to install over a previous installment, but not how to install.

A little help, please?

Also, will this affect my other saves? I'd like to keep my other saves stock, if possible.

Just download the archive, unzip it and merge the gamedata folder with the one in your ksp install

Every time you launch ksp, the game will load the mod. If you want your old saves to not have opm you need to either remove opm before loading those saves or alternatively make a copy of your ksp install and use the copy for opm

Just download the archive, unzip it and merge the gamedata folder with the one in your ksp install

Every time you launch ksp, the game will load the mod. If you want your old saves to not have opm you need to either remove opm before loading those saves or alternatively make a copy of your ksp install and use the copy for opm

wow, fast response!

thank you. Will do.

I think that tylo is not suitable as a Ganymede anologue since Ganymede has oceans and tylo is basically just a super large Mun, I think that Captrobau should add a Proper Ganymede anologue to the jool system and change laythe a little, Recolor its sky red and its oceans green (Its the way earth looked before it got an oxygen atmoshere, A blue sky and blue oceans require that a planet have life wich laythe doesnt.)

I think that tylo is not suitable as a Ganymede anologue since Ganymede has oceans and tylo is basically just a super large Mun, I think that Captrobau should add a Proper Ganymede anologue to the jool system and change laythe a little, Recolor its sky red and its oceans green (Its the way earth looked before it got an oxygen atmoshere, A blue sky and blue oceans require that a planet have life wich laythe doesnt.)

I dont think opm will ever add any changes to the stock game,

except eloo of course

Is there anyway to increase the output resolution of KT or is it only able to do 2048x1024 images? I Just want a 4k texture for kerbin.
- Custom resolution for the generated scaled space textures is now possible; use the mapFileSize parameter on PQS setting.

KopernicusTech says it's possible, but you'll have to ask in the thread itself if it's not clear enough.

By the way, would you mind telling us roughly how big the fourth moon for Urlum will be - can we expect another Hale-sized object or something larger like Polta and Wal?

It's a small moon.

Ever thought of making a Eris anologue Much farther away than plock, has a moon and (This is where the similarity ends) Has rings and a white atmosphere.

Stuff beyond Plock is too far for my taste. That's already hard and time consuming to get too. Anything beyond that will just take too much in-game time and Delta-V for most people and I want people to actually visit the stuff we make.

Also, for OPM's creators... What do you use to create the Height maps? I know you then use them for textures, colorising them.

Eudae55 makes the height maps with a program called World Machine.

Ganymede does not have oceans. The only moon that we know for sure has oceans is Titan. Europa might have oceans, but in that case they're buried beneath several kilometers of ice.

Hello,

So that I dont get confused by previous posts...I am trying to get OP+ 1.7 to work; I will succeed at some point as I had it working once; v2.3.5 on another forum is simply a small extension and copies Kittopia cfg files over; I am trying with no Kittopia files; why; I was having problems getting OPM+ to work AND OP+ to work with OPM 1.6 (which I am trying to awaken; versions OPM 1.5 and OP+ 1.7 work; I just want more...).

However I wont go to v2.3.5 I dont know what is going on there and I wont touch a barycentered system when I have enough to deal with just getting normal moons and planets to show up at all.

As a side note PF has a memory overhead on load of probly 500 megs or more; Kopernicus is like less than 100 megs altogether.

I will have this working..as I plan to stream tonite building up my resource game around the new moons and planets !

Another important side note: SKYBOXES are preventing OP+ and OPM+ to work; at least one did; until I get this to work I will try a skybox...I did get some atmospheres off of 2.3.5 thanks lol...

EDIT: Success !! I think there may (or not) be a problem in a cfg in Kittopia; I read somewhere not to use that data; every thing is showing up in OPM 1.6 and OP+ 1.7 so this is probly good news for OP+. Noe if I had to I could manually update those cfgs; I may try one; I am wondering about the cfg's that have the 'CelestialBody' declaration; it doesnt look right in there unless it is a part of Kittopia; one cfg could crash the whole shabang...I got moons ya !!!

Edit: Issues: Priax and Polta are on the same orbit; Nouvana and Slate are sitting on top of each other (these are not problems for me as I intend to tweak anyways); I see now that PQS data is what adds the sculpting to the moons etc...I will slowly add these cfgs back and find the culprit...if there is one...

Edit: I got the CFG's in copied everything over from OP+; in the OutePlanets.cfg it shows Nouvana orbiting 2 planets; not sure which one it should be I am guessing Urlum so I will delete the other that says Sarnus...looks good I can fix the rest; now I add MODS...fun ! Speakin of names (below) I aint too keen on Sisyphus but I can change that too !

Also I noted that I thought Sisyphus was really HILLY; it is showing up all smooth now...

Edit: There are 2 sisyphys cfgs in save load spelt different

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

Maybe I'm going too fast here, but I think Neidon needs some of the strange moons that Neptune has-

Naiad analogue- Aykd (EIKED, sounds like "ached" as in past tense of "ache." Also could be pronouned "EIK-ed" rhyming with "naked")

-SHAMELESS SELF-ADVERTISEMENT - The name comes from the "historical name" for a moon of one of my two suggestions for expanding the Kerbol system (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90913-Planet-Ideas-discussion-thread%21/page3?highlight=aykd)

and my other ideas (MORE SELF ADVERTISEMENT) were here- (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88683-Suggestions-for-a-New-Gas-Giant)

(These ideas are not all that good and not all of them should be implemented)

I don't think I knew about Naiad when I formulated Aykd as a moon orbiting an ice giant, actually. But IRL, Neptune has a real moon like Aykd.

-Name stands for "Are You Kidding, Dude?")

-Tiny moon extremely close to Neidon.

-Ignore my old description - just look at these pics of Naiad from Celestia. (Obviously not really this smooth.) It's tide-locked so it's "pointed end" always faces Neidon-http://imgur.com/a/BtwMe

-In equatorial orbit around Neidon, not like the old Jebland/Aykd concept

-In KSP, I'd make this bigger than Pol, but smaller than Minmus (closer to the size of Pol.)

Proteus partial analogue-Corson (CORS-on)

-Moon between Aykd and Thrito

-Rather than being a direct Proteus analog, it has fantasy terrain.

-About the size of Minmus or Bop

-Terrain is sharp and bumpy

-The moon rotates relatively fast, making it harder to land on the equator (which just so happens to have most of the moon's few flat regions

Triton analogue - Thrito (THRY-toe)

-Inclined, retrograde orbit

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Triton_orbit_%26_Neptune.png

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_(moon)

-Possibly a VERY thin atmosphere, but I've heard that KSP can't render atmospheres on bodies smaller than Duna, in which case, either make it atmosphereless or make it a VERY big moon, the size of Duna. (The IRL Triton is thought to have resulted from capture from a binary dwarf planet according to some - but having a really large moon disturbing the system would also make sense for having a bunch of other weird moons around Neidon in the mod.)

-Very close to Neidon (IRL Triton is quite close), maybe even relatively closer than the real Triton, but not close enough to disturb the inner moons-

-Far from any other moons

Nereid positional analog/fantasy moon - Fracture (bears a resemblance to my old Fissure suggestion, but no atmosphere)

-Highly elliptical orbit, with periapsis much farther than Thrito and apoapsis to the edge of Neidon's SOI (which should be large, being that Neidon is so far. The IRL Neptune has a large Hill Sphere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere)

-Icy, relatively flat surface for the most part

-Cracked randomly with deep, steep canyons, creating "plateaus" of ice with rocky canyons

-Spherical moon about the size of Kerbin's Mun.

-Contains a massive impact crater with a huge mountainous ridge - the roughest terrain on the moon outside of the canyons, the crater exposes rough rock below.

Hello,

One moon I cant do anything with the lighting if I turn in planet mode the light follows the rotation of my mouse and does not stay still; cant remember which one I am testing all the moons now...

Also in map mode the moon doesnt look likt it does when not in map mode...dds missing or???

Cmdr Zeta

To CaptRobau and the rest of the contibutors

The work done by you guys is absolutely fantastic. I'm a stock player, and when I looked at the vast amounts of mods out there, OPM was the only one (along with MJ) I ever downloaded.

Thank you all!

Maybe I'm going too fast here, but I think Neidon needs some of the strange moons that Neptune has-

Naiad analogue- Aykd (EIKED, sounds like "ached" as in past tense of "ache." Also could be pronouned "EIK-ed" rhyming with "naked")

-SHAMELESS SELF-ADVERTISEMENT - The name comes from the "historical name" for a moon of one of my two suggestions for expanding the Kerbol system (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90913-Planet-Ideas-discussion-thread%21/page3?highlight=aykd)

and my other ideas (MORE SELF ADVERTISEMENT) were here- (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88683-Suggestions-for-a-New-Gas-Giant)

I don't think I knew about Naiad when I formulated Aykd as a moon orbiting an ice giant, actually. But IRL, Neptune has a real moon like Aykd.

-Ignore my old description - just look at these pics of Naiad from Celestia. (Obviously not really this smooth.) It's tide-locked so it's "pointed end" always faces Neidon-http://imgur.com/a/BtwMe

-In KSP, I'd make this bigger than Pol, but smaller than Minmus (closer to the size of Pol.)

-The moon rotates relatively fast, making it harder to land on the equator (which just so happens to have most of the moon's few flat regions

-Possibly a VERY thin atmosphere, but I've heard that KSP can't render atmospheres on bodies smaller than Duna, in which case, either make it atmosphereless or make it a VERY big moon, the size of Duna. (The IRL Triton is thought to have resulted from capture from a binary dwarf planet according to some - but having a really large moon disturbing the system would also make sense for having a bunch of other weird moons around Neidon in the mod.)

-Very close to Neidon (IRL Triton is quite close), maybe even relatively closer than the real Triton, but not close enough to disturb the inner moons-

Nereid positional analog/fantasy moon - Fracture (bears a resemblance to my old Fissure suggestion, but no atmosphere)

-Highly elliptical orbit, with periapsis much farther than Thrito and apoapsis to the edge of Neidon's SOI (which should be large, being that Neidon is so far. The IRL Neptune has a large Hill Sphere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere)

-Cracked randomly with deep, steep canyons, creating "plateaus" of ice with rocky canyons

-Contains a massive impact crater with a huge mountainous ridge - the roughest terrain on the moon outside of the canyons, the crater exposes rough rock below.

I actually like your ideas. If CaptRobau does not do a Nereid analog I will do one when I redo OP+.

To CaptRobau and the rest of the contibutors

The work done by you guys is absolutely fantastic. I'm a stock player, and when I looked at the vast amounts of mods out there, OPM was the only one (along with MJ) I ever downloaded.

Thank you all!

I'm wondering if SQUAD has taken interest in implementing these. They're almost perfectly stockalike.

As a big fan of things rotating very fast, I like Corson.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I don't like the lore around Slate and Eeloo, I've rewritten their descriptions.

Slate

Evidence suggests that Slate once had an atmosphere only a few million years ago, when an unknown cataclysm stripped it's atmosphere away, leaving only a dry husk behind. It's yellow and brown colors have inspired many painters since it's discovery, including the renowned Vincent Van Kerman.

Eeloo

Discovered shortly after Plock, the squareheads in charge of the records and history department confused the two celestial bodies in the history books for several years. The surface of Eeloo is covered in brown scratches, full of cryovolcanic wibbly stuff. It probably has an ocean somewhere beneath it.

Edited by GregroxMun

Regarding to a Triton-esque moon with a very thin atmosphere; I messed around with Kopernicus and Kittopia a few months ago and actually managed to fabricate a small celestial object with thin atmosphere. Was a pain though to make the atmosphere look right, 'cause they don't go well with small worlds. Don't know the exact parameters though but radius was about 220 km, 0.18G and the atmo extended WAY out into space (at least 70 km). I called the object 'Sombor'. Later, it turned into a spiked and bugged abomination when I did something with it via Kittopia.

s3k7xf.png

Is anybody else having the game crash when EVAing on Priax with a Mechjeb unit on the ship? I was wondering if I should report this to MJ or OPM... All other places are fine, but Praix, the moment my kerbal touches the ground, ka-boom!

The error does come from MJ, but at the same time it only happens on Priax...

[EXC 22:11:06.026] ArithmeticException: NAN
System.Math.Sign (double) <0x00087>
Orbit.solveEccentricAnomalyExtremeEcc (double,double,int) <0x00061>
Orbit.getRelativePositionAtT (double) <0x00135>
Orbit.getRelativePositionAtUT (double) <0x00039>
MuMech.OrbitExtensions.SwappedRelativePositionAtUT (Orbit,double) <0x0001f>
MuMech.OrbitExtensions.SwappedAbsolutePositionAtUT (Orbit,double) <0x0003c>
MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.TimeToImpact () <0x0009a>
(wrapper dynamic-method) System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope,object) <0x0002b>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem/<ValueInfoItem>c__AnonStoreyA.<>m__40 () <0x00019>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () <0x00015>
MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (int) <0x000a6>
UnityEngine.GUILayout/LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (int) <0x000bb>
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI/WindowFunction,int,UnityEngine.GUISkin,int,single,single,UnityEngine.GUIStyle) <0x00107>
[LOG 22:11:06.030] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: NaN
[EXC 22:11:06.031] ArithmeticException: NAN
System.Math.Sign (double) <0x00087>
Orbit.solveEccentricAnomalyExtremeEcc (double,double,int) <0x00061>
Orbit.getRelativePositionAtT (double) <0x00135>
Orbit.getRelativePositionAtUT (double) <0x00039>
MuMech.OrbitExtensions.SwappedRelativePositionAtUT (Orbit,double) <0x0001f>
MuMech.OrbitExtensions.SwappedAbsolutePositionAtUT (Orbit,double) <0x0003c>
MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.TimeToImpact () <0x0009a>
(wrapper dynamic-method) System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope,object) <0x0002b>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem/<ValueInfoItem>c__AnonStoreyA.<>m__40 () <0x00019>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () <0x00015>
MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (int) <0x000a6>
UnityEngine.GUILayout/LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (int) <0x000bb>
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI/WindowFunction,int,UnityEngine.GUISkin,int,single,single,UnityEngine.GUIStyle) <0x00107>
[LOG 22:11:22.909] LazorEVA: SAVING EVA
[LOG 22:11:22.912] [Progress Node Reached]: SurfaceEVA
[LOG 22:11:22.912] [Progress Node Complete]: SurfaceEVA
[LOG 22:11:22.913] [00:31:58]: Jebediah Kerman from Urlum Ex 1 went on EVA.
[LOG 22:11:22.932] [Lazor EVA: system started on Jebediah Kerman]
[LOG 22:11:22.933] [Lazor EVA: Initialized]
[LOG 22:11:23.001] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Jebediah Kerman ----------------------
[LOG 22:11:23.004] stage manager resuming...
[LOG 22:11:23.006] 3/21/2015 10:11:23 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Vessel Change from 'Urlum Ex 1' to 'Jebediah Kerman'
[LOG 22:11:23.027] [DestructionTrackerEVA: OnAwake kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman)]
[LOG 22:11:23.027] [LazorGlobals: Added DestructionTrackerEVA to kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman)]
[LOG 22:11:23.028] 3/21/2015 10:11:23 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel changed - resetting inqueue flag
[LOG 22:11:23.037] 3/21/2015 10:11:23 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Removing DrawGUI from PostRender Queue
[LOG 22:11:23.049] 3/21/2015 10:11:23 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue
[LOG 22:11:23.050] 3/21/2015 10:11:23 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Skipping version check
[ERR 22:11:28.381] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.382] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.384] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.384] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.384] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.385] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.385] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.385] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.386] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.386] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.387] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.387] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.387] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.388] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.389] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.391] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 22:11:28.392] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[LOG 22:11:28.412] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 22:11:28.412] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[ERR 22:11:28.413] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.413] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 22:11:28.414] dest.radius>=0.0f

You sure it's not Kerbal Alarm Clock? It's shown to be the last thing that runs before the error. Either way, that's something for either MJ or KAC to fix, or maybe the creator of the KopernicusTech plugin that I use to make all these planets and moons appear in-game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.