[1.1.2] Kerbal Konstructs v0.9.7.1 - Slopey Glidey

AlphaAsh

Hello,

Just a simple question, is there an actual content (runaway etc) in this mod, or do I need to download another mod (like Kerbin-Side) and this mod is just used as a proxy ?

Kerbal Konstructs now includes some static content and a base called Round Range that uses that content. It's not as extensive as what's available in KerbinSide of course.

Thanks, I'll test that.

It's just that I prefer testing mods in stand-alone and moreover, kerbin-side and firespitter don't seems to like each other ^^

Actually it's Kerbal Konstructs that doesn't like firespitter. If you don't use firespitter's water launch system, it shouldn't be a problem.

KerbinSide uses Kerbal Konstructs. The former is static content. The latter is a plugin that allows use of static content. It just comes with some static content too.

Anyone else on linux seeing the config file being created in the Kerbal directory using backslashes instead of forward slashes?

This file is showing up in the main Kerbal directory: (NOTE this is the actual name of the file not the path)

"\\home\\user\\.local\\share\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Kerbal\ Space\ Program\\GameData\\medsouz\\KerbalKonstructs\\PluginData\\KerbalKonstructs\\KerbalKonstructs.cfg"

This can happen sometimes when compiling on windows instead of linux, I think it's a pretty quick fix when you get a chance. :)

Edited by frencrs

Anyone else on linux seeing the config file being created in the Kerbal directory using backslashes instead of forward slashes?

This file is showing up in the main Kerbal directory: (NOTE this is the actual name of the file not the path)

"\\home\\user\\.local\\share\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Kerbal\ Space\ Program\\GameData\\medsouz\\KerbalKonstructs\\PluginData\\KerbalKonstructs\\KerbalKonstructs.cfg"

This can happen sometimes when compiling on windows instead of linux, I think it's a pretty quick fix when you get a chance. :)

Thought I'd fixed that. I'll look at it again.

Thanks AlphaAsh.

As I thought, it's the ability to change location of departure who isn't compatible ...

Well, I still didn't made a seaplane so not a problem ... for now, since I want to do one XD

Anyway, I've tested your mod yesterday so here is my first feedback ! ^^

First, I really like the idea ... it is quite interesting to be able to do your own launchsites / bases. It's making me want to build many over the world =P

The drawback to that is that if you build somes on other planets, it somehow become too easy ... but I didn't test it so I don't know if there are some limitations in that or not.

Another thing is when you spawn new buildings, they spawn where you are ... and make sometimes your poor craft explode XD

Not easy to build something like this, or maybe I missed something >.<

It does not explode each and every time but when spawning them or playing with the options, sometimes it goes kaboom ! (With a K, like Kerbal =P)

Actually, I was thinking it was like building a craft, you choose a part, then place it were you want, or delete it if you change your mind / pick up the wrong part ... but it doesn't seem to be the case. Something like this would probably be safer. Yeah, I know that it would be quite difficult to add something like that >.<

A good thing would be to add a picture next to the building (in the UI to add them !) so that you know how it looks like, making it easier to pick them up. Since I didn't know them, I had to pick them one by one to see how they look like, and I think when you have a lot of them, you don't always remember which one is which.

Also, I probably missed them, but I didn't see the dimensions of the buildings ?

Could be usefull too, having the choice with some parts to change the length (I'm thinking about runaways). Like this, you could make a runaway the length you want ... of course, it would only be possible with straight one !

Well, not the more important thing, it is still easy to put them next to each others to have a runaway the length you want anyway ^^

Anyway, thanks for your great mod ! Now I need to test all the building mods *.*

Oh and please don't take those comments badly, it's just my first feedback and some suggestions on the spot !

I tend to forget them once I'm used to the way it works so I decided to tell them while still fresh =p

Thanks for the feedback. I won't address everything you've posted.

The drawback to that is that if you build somes on other planets, it somehow become too easy ... but I didn't test it so I don't know if there are some limitations in that or not.

There are limitations but they're imposed by KSP, not Kerbal Konstructs. Launching from any body other than Kerbin can be problematic. You can put bases on other bodies but I don't support the issues that can arise from it. Search the rest of this thread if you want to know more specifics.

Another thing is when you spawn new buildings, they spawn where you are ... and make sometimes your poor craft explode XD...

When a new static is spawned its colliders are 100% reliably off. I can't reproduce this not being the case. It's only when you switch away from a static or explicitly switch on its colliders that it will then... conflict... with any craft sharing space with it.

Actually, I was thinking it was like building a craft, you choose a part, then place it were you want, or delete it if you change your mind / pick up the wrong part ... but it doesn't seem to be the case. Something like this would probably be safer. Yeah, I know that it would be quite difficult to add something like that >.<

The reason why making bases isn't implemented in the same fashion as building craft is because 1- The world is your editor and doesn't have the constraints and feature-support of the VAB and SPH and 2 - Yes it would be difficult to add something like that. I'm not being paid to develop that level of functionality. Get Squad to hire me and then I'll do it ;P

A good thing would be to add a picture next to the building (in the UI to add them !)...

That's something I do want to do. Just proving a little more complex than I thought it would be.

Also, I probably missed them, but I didn't see the dimensions of the buildings ?

You didn't miss that. Statics that are launch capable can have a width and length configured. It's not automatically determined.

Could be usefull too, having the choice with some parts to change the length (I'm thinking about runaways).

Dynamic/procedural statics is another one where I'm not going to do it unless I get paid to. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks for your great mod ! Now I need to test all the building mods *.*

Oh and please don't take those comments badly, it's just my first feedback and some suggestions on the spot !

Nope, constructive feedback is always welcome. Thanks.

When a new static is spawned its colliders are 100% reliably off. I can't reproduce this not being the case. It's only when you switch away from a static or explicitly switch on its colliders that it will then... conflict... with any craft sharing space with it.

After thinking a bit about it, the first Kaboom thing must have happened when I tried to change the position setting of the runaway I was on .... ^^"

But then it's when adding a new building that it went total Kaboom and I had to restart =P

Well, since I was messing aroung a lot with the mod, I must have done a bad sequence of actions at the moment. After all, I JUST lost focus a couple of time, added 3 or 4 buildind in the same place, and without deleting the prior of course, changed position, altitude and rotation of a runaway whom I was sitting on .... nothing that should be problematic, really .... :sticktongue:

So, I have two things to remember :

- Do not lost focus before finishing to position correctly the building

- Do not mess with a building whom I am sitting on

That should do it! :D

You didn't miss that. Statics that are launch capable can have a width and length configured. It's not automatically determined.

I'm not sure of what you mean by that ?

I didn't see anything like this, they just spawned with a predefine length / width and all I could do was to place them ...

So, do you mean in their config files or something like this ?

Anyway, thanks for your answer :)

Edited by nimaroth

I didn't see anything like this, they just spawned with a predefine length / width and all I could do was to place them ...

So, do you mean in their config files or something like this ?

Yup you set it in the static's config. It's for display purposes in the Base Manager. Purely a guide for the player to guesstimate whether their monstrosity will actually fit on the runway/launchpad/helipad.

The howto should be linked in the Useful Tutorials section of the OP.

Is there a How to make KK statics guide yet?

No and there won't be. Statics are made exactly the same way as parts and there's an entire sub-forum dedicated to modelling and texturing.

If you know how to make parts, you can make statics.

Which means, I would guess, that pretty much anything that can be used as a part can, potentially, be used as a static as long as you don't intend to launch anything from it. Even then, you could probably just put a dummy launch pad static on your own non-launchable static and make it work alright.

- - - Updated - - -

There are limitations but they're imposed by KSP, not Kerbal Konstructs. Launching from any body other than Kerbin can be problematic.

I wish to point out that launching from the Mun has absolutely no issues from what I've experienced, so we can probably assume Minmus would be okay. The real issues come from trying to launch from a different planetary SOI outside of the Kerbin's. Even then, EPL managed to make it possible to do this so it's probably not so much the launching from that location, or moving the ship spawner to that spot temporarily, but likely a limitation of how KK actually moves your craft and camera into the correct position, while dealing with the transitions between SOIs.

...likely a limitation of how KK actually moves your craft and camera into the correct position...

KK simply switches in a new launch position to replace the default one for the VAB or SPH. It's still KSP that does all of this, exactly as it does with KSC's Runway and LaunchPad.

EDIT - It is, frankly, a hack. When Squad updates the API it's fairly clear they did not expect there to be other launchsites.

- - - Updated - - -

Which means, I would guess, that pretty much anything that can be used as a part can, potentially, be used as a static...

Yup. And if you define the correct transform on it in Unity, you can launch off of it.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Hey, I installed kerbin-side but it isn't showing up for me ingame. When I click the KK-basemanager/launchselector button nothing happens. In the log I saw these 2 errors which I think are relevant:

[LOG 18:08:23.599] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KerbalKonstructs' from assembly 'KerbalKonstructs'
[WRN 18:08:23.640] File '\home\USER\.local\share\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\medsouz\KerbalKonstructs\PluginData\KerbalKonstructs\KerbalKonstructs.cfg' does not exist
[EXC 18:08:23.643] PathTooLongException: Path is too long. Path: /home/USER/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/\home\USER\.local\share\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\medsouz\KerbalKonstructs\PluginData\KerbalKonstructs\KerbalKonstructs.cfg
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode)
ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header)
KerbalKonstructs.KerbalKonstructs.saveConfig ()
KerbalKonstructs.KerbalKonstructs.Awake ()
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

I checked and KerbalKonstructs.cfg does exist. I already removed and reinstalled twice using CKAN, and once more manually. So am I doing something wrong, or might I be encountering a bug?

I'm on Ubuntu, 64bit.

Aye, the Linux pathing is screwed up in the most current release. Roll-back to a previous version for now. A fix is in the works. You should be able to get older versions of the mod from KerbalStuff.

EDIT - I'll do a quick test-round on the current dev version and push to get it out.

- - - Updated - - -

v0.9.1_HOT_EX available from KerbalStuff.

Changelog:

• This is a hotfix to address issues with the file-pathing of the configuration file on Linux.
  • It is also an experimental release because it's built from the current development version.
  • That means there are new features that can be previewed but they aren't necessarily finished.
  • If you aren't on Linux and don't want to preview/test unfinished features, skip this and stick with the previous version.
  • If you are on Linux, let me know if the pathing issue is not resolved please.

WIP on the Downlink feature for Kerbal Konstructs. In this example the Munbase is connected to a station in Kerbin orbit. The signal strength drops enough to lose the video connection, requiring cutting of other channels in order to keep the videolink up.

Do I get a redundancy prize for losing video in a video of losing video in a video game?

Edited by AlphaAsh

Small issue, not sure if this is known already.

Between startups and loading, KK objects are being shifted very slightly (floating point errors?).

Objects are shifting, leaving gaps like this. They were previously placed exactly flush with other model.

7029eca3fa.jpg

Couple of the buildings are raised, exposing foundation.

cc871308ab.jpg

What I'm doing:

1. Position objects.
  2. Add all local instances to a group.
  3. Press "Save Objects".
  4. Exit space centre.
  5. Close game.
  6. Restart game.

Something wrong in my workflow maybe?

Cheers :)

Aye, that's one of the more annoying things about the PQS functions of KSP and I suspect it's actually a combination of floating point issues and the curvature of the planet's surface. Since all objects are initially orientated to the planet's surface, those irregularities creep in between objects and it's more noticeable with larger ones.

For example, place two long objects side by side and you'll notice there's a discrepancy at the ends of the objects. It's the curve of the planet causing it.

If you look at the KSC you'll see how they 'merge' objects slightly in to each other to reduce the issue. It's a technique I also use a lot - I curve off edges and/or have slight ramps and verges so that there's less reliance on precise edge matching.

EDIT

One solution to the problem I've used is to actually put all the objects together in Unity to create one object. This is a technique that was also used in the KerbCity project. Unfortunately this then makes it very difficult to compensate for terrain that is rarely flat in any given area.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Aye, that's one of the more annoying things about the PQS functions of KSP and I suspect it's actually a combination of floating point issues and the curvature of the planet's surface. Since all objects are initially orientated to the planet's surface, those irregularities creep in between objects and it's more noticeable with larger ones.

For example, place two long objects side by side and you'll notice there's a discrepancy at the ends of the objects. It's the curve of the planet causing it.

If you look at the KSC you'll see how they 'merge' objects slightly in to each other to reduce the issue. It's a technique I also use a lot - I curve off edges and/or have slight ramps and verges so that there's less reliance on precise edge matching.

EDIT

One solution to the problem I've used is to actually put all the objects together in Unity to create one object. This is a technique that was also used in the KerbCity project. Unfortunately this then makes it very difficult to compensate for terrain that is rarely flat in any given area.

Aaah, thanks for the info. It is an annoying, but understandable, constraint.

I think pre-merging in Unity will be the way to go forward :)

v0.9.2 now available from KerbalStuff.

Changelog & Notes

• Lots of progress made on adding and improving new features.
  • Support for 'working' tracking stations.
  • Inflight Base Boss has a new feature, the Downlink.
  • This allows communication between vessels and tracking stations.
  • There's no real gameplay affect or impact from these features yet but there will be in future versions.
  • Lots of plans to expand these features.
  • To make the most of the new features you'll need some static content that supports them.
  • Try Kerbin-Side Ground-Control, which includes this version of KK.
  • There'll be documentation to help make the most of the new features in this thread soon.
  • More work on the codebase for proper OO implementation.
  • More work on the persistence systems necessary for more planned features.
  • A few bug-fixes.

WIP on the Downlink feature for Kerbal Konstructs. In this example the Munbase is connected to a station in Kerbin orbit. The signal strength drops enough to lose the video connection, requiring cutting of other channels in order to keep the videolink up.

Do I get a redundancy prize for losing video in a video of losing video in a video game?

Could the video uplink function be used as a way for hullcams connection?

• More work on the codebase for proper OO implementation.

I guess we're to take your word for this one? ;)

(EDIT: In all seriousness, not bothering with GitHub is fine, but could you package the source along with the releases in that case?)

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

I guess we're to take your word for this one? ;)

(EDIT: In all seriousness, not bothering with GitHub is fine, but could you package the source along with the releases in that case?)

Ack no, sorry. Just after a massive push to actually get something out the door, my code tends to be a royal mess. I'll get the latest build on Git anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Could the video uplink function be used as a way for hullcams connection?

Nice idea. I'll add it to the 'want this feature' list.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hoping for remote-tech integration myself :P

Sorry chap, that one I probably won't do. I like what RoverDude has planned for KSP 1.1. It's way more in line with what I want to do with the new features and it's that that will get integrated.

Edited by AlphaAsh