[0.90] Kolonists v1.0.1 [Jan05]

Ratys

Simplistic addon that adds two features to make colonies (specifically MKS/OKS colonies) even more self sufficient:

• Crew flight log archiving - added to MKS and OKS Colony Control Centers; re-records crew's current flight log as career log, making it count towards experience. Naturally, bumps up the number of flights they've been on, and costs a fixed amount of funds per kerbal (configurable by costPerKerbal field).
  • Kerbal in-vitro nursery - added to MKS and OKS Kerbitats; start up the IVN to accumulate "Soylent" (made from food, water, a bit of oxygen and some rocket parts), and when it's full - open it up to release a random newbie kerbal to join the crew.

Stock Remix: special version, adds both features to the Science Lab instead, makes IVN require flat fee of 500 electric charge per kerbal. Redistributes Module Manager, no additional requirements. Download (and source) available at GitHub.

Requirements:

• Modular Kolonization System by RoverDude (functionality is added to it's parts and it's converter is used to produce Soylent)
  • Module Manager by ialdabaoth (who is awesome) and sarbian (modifies MKS parts without rewriting original files; should be included in MKS)

Installation: Install required mods then put "Kolonists" folder into your GameData. Should be CKAN-compatible.

Downloads: Kerbal Stuff, GitHub (source available)

License: Licensed under GPLv3, License.txt

PS: Feedback very welcome, be it feature ideas or tips on how to improve the release, this post included.

Edited by Ratys
Thread name

Simplistic addon that adds two features to make colonies (specifically MKS/OKS colonies) even more self sufficient:

Crew flight log archiving - added to MKS and OKS Colony Control Centers; re-records crew's current flight log as career log, making it count towards experience. Naturally, bumps up the number of flights they've been on, and costs a fixed amount of funds per kerbal (configurable by costPerKerbal field).

Oh nice! Ive been looking for this very feature!

What kinda speed are we talking about when kerbals level up for being kolonists? Months years? Gonna load this up and give it a spin, will be posting feedback shortly.

Also As Niemand says you'll wanna include your license in the first post. Before the mods come ;)

Looks interesting! Will we have standalone version for those, who don't use MKS?

It's simply a matter of editing ModuleManager.cfg to add the modules to whatever parts desired. Soylent generation could be handled by Regolith converter instead of MKS one, or just make the nursery eat up say 500 of electric charge per kerbal, for installs without TACLS and EPL; that's why I made everything so configurable.

Sadly I'm not yet proficient enough to have it automatically detect installed mods and reconfigure each and every aspect, hence the flat-out requirement for now. Going to look into it though; for now I'll release the electric charge version, for testing purposes I guess (ETA ~2 hours, not at home ATM).

EDIT1:

What kinda speed are we talking about when kerbals level up for being kolonists? Months years?

They don't level up for being kolonists. All my mod does is mimic what KSC does when you recover kerbals: move their flight log into career log (I happened to stumble upon a very exposed ArchiveFlightLog() method in ProtoCrewMember class, simple as that). As far as I know that's how experience and leveling up works anyway.

EDIT2:

I gave it a quick thought, such feature could be doable. Way out of scope of this mod, though, so if I ever cobble it together I'll release it separately (and send you a PM of course).

Edited by Ratys
Avoiding triple posts

Awesome! I just found out this week that I'd have to rotate all my crew off my Mun base in order to level them up.. now I don't have to. I may anyways, just to role-play it as a shift change.

For the in-vitro stuff, compare with MoarKerbals.

My understanding is that you need to recover said kerbals before the experience sets in.

My understanding is that you need to recover said kerbals before the experience sets in.
I believe that's what this mod does for you (takes the current flight and writes it to the kerbals career log) which is essentially what happens when you recover a kerbal.

Correct, both statements; as I've said, the "Archive Crew Flight Logs" action that ModuleExperienceManagement adds emulates whatever happens to kerbals when they are recovered, flight/career log (i.e. experience) wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of this mod, but want to add a something to it. I would like to add karborundum to the list of resources that the in-vitro nursery uses. I feel like it's suitably hard to get and want to have to mine more then just substrate and water to make kerbals. I feel like it would be safe to add it to the list of resources the kolony converter uses in the .cfg, but want to just ask here first if this is safe to do, or if I need to alter anything else as well.

Also, out of curiosity as I haven't had the chance to try it yet, does this mod integrate with final frontier as well? To assign ribbons during a mission.

Edited by Errol

• 4 weeks later...
I like the idea of this mod, but want to add a something to it. I would like to add karborundum to the list of resources that the in-vitro nursery uses. I feel like it's suitably hard to get and want to have to mine more then just substrate and water to make kerbals. I feel like it would be safe to add it to the list of resources the kolony converter uses in the .cfg, but want to just ask here first if this is safe to do, or if I need to alter anything else as well.

Also, out of curiosity as I haven't had the chance to try it yet, does this mod integrate with final frontier as well? To assign ribbons during a mission.

Sorry, for some reason the forums didn't notify me of your message... Yes, it should be perfectly fine to just add karborundum to RecipeInputs fields in ModuleManager.cfg file.

As for integration with Final Frontier I actually have no clue, but imagine it should do that. I don't have the capacity to test it right now, but I'd be glad to clear that up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ha ha, kerbals made of rocket parts!

I have always considered Kerbals to be plant-based lifeforms (Semi-intelligent tubers) based on various circumstantial evidence (green, until recently no females, indestructible and seemed to be grafted clones of each other). I think I might tweak my Soylent recipe to use some mulch from the new MKS build mixed with some LFO and electric charge.

Edit: It should be in compositum (in compost) instead of in vitro

Edited by Smurfalot

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Hmmm... Not sure if this might do what you're looking for?:

Sadly no... I've taken a look at it and it doesn't reallly do what I''d like to it to. in 0.90 there were several of these other mods, like in this thread, that added in cloning bays and seemingly growing kerbals in test tube style :) Sadly none of em were updated, so was wondering if some enterprising soul would be able to do so...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.