So I was just watching NASA TV and saw KSP...

sedativechunk

I woke up from an afternoon nap and had NASA TV just now.They had on a serious clip/film talking about the rocket designs of the future, showing actual rocket parts in the manufacturing processes and etc. then all of a sudden it included five second clip of this particularly interesting looking "futuristic rocket" zipping out of the atmosphere. I rewinded it and took a picture. Yes, it is what you think it is and yes, they actually used it for an official NASA video:

20150112_182443.jpg

Is that-

It can't be-

Surely it isn't-

Kerbal Space Program, now officially shown to the entire space-geek community by NASA. Sure, it was for 5 seconds, and they didn't mention it by name, but still! With this and the whole Elon Musk thing, SQUAD must be practically dancing in joy right now.

need video of the company's employees dancing in a field singing to confirm

So let me get this straight.

First it was the Mars One promo video from who knows how long ago that showed KSP in the background.

Then it was Elon Musk on Reddit.

Now NASATV.

What next, a US Congressional hearing?!? :huh::D

Oh Lord I hope not. That'll kill KSP for sure.

First the spacex music and now this? Wow.

Well, KSP's music (apart from the main theme and I think the credits music) is by Kevin MacLeod, and is royalty free for anyone to use. The people setting up the webcast at SpaceX presumably just got it from there as well.

Well, KSP's music (apart from the main theme and I think the credits music) is by Kevin MacLeod, and is royalty free for anyone to use. The people setting up the webcast at SpaceX presumably just got it from there as well.

*cough*

I think he meant the Elon Musk thing. :)

(I think.)

Free publicity is nice and all, but at this point doesn't it start being copyright infringement? Or was part of the collaboration agreement that NASA would get to use KSP in their stuff?

I suspect it would fall under the category of fair use, just like youtube lets plays are not considered copyright infringement. Even so copyright infringment is only a legal issue for someone if the copyright holder wants to press the issue. I doubt squad would have an issue reguardless considering the past colaberation. I suspect the'd be tickled pink to see nasa use their program for brief blurbs on informational space/science clips.

Free publicity is nice and all, but at this point doesn't it start being copyright infringement? Or was part of the collaboration agreement that NASA would get to use KSP in their stuff?

Even if it were infringement (which really requires you to make a profit off it, and NASA is government funded) I doubt Squad would complain. If anything, based on their reaction to Elon Musk mentioning their game, they would likely celebrate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.