STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

Hi guys, I'm back! And I've got a new shuttle for you, complete with the new shuttle engines and other parts that were added in 1.0.5.

http://i.imgur.com/u7q2M6H.png

In terms of functionality, not much has changed, although I have removed the parachutes from the external fuel tank since my last post. (Come to think of it, however, recovering the external tank might actually be possible now, due to the new water mechanics in 1.0.5. Hmm... I'll think about it.)

Anyway, here's the demo flight.

http://imgur.com/a/itwi8

Here's the download link:

http://kerbalx.com/ThirdOfFive/Kerbal-Space-Shuttle-105-Enterprise

Enjoy :)

Erm... I'd suggest making your own thread about this. Hijacking another person's thread with your own craft isn't considered very respectful.

What do you mean? I have no intent of "Hijacking" this thread; I'm just making a spinoff. There's a whole list of them in the first post.

Since your post was a bit unclear, it seemed like you were using this thread to release your own shuttle; therefore, I apologize. I'd recommend changing the sentence "And I've got a new shuttle for you..." to "I've made a new spinoff of this shuttle for you..." or something like that.

Took me quite a few attempts and landing is still a struggle (I'm either overshooting or undershooting by a few kilometers), but I finally managed it.

It's a great feeling landing a Space Shuttle :)

http://abload.de/img/screenshot1uhsp9.png

The first shuttle landing is always an amazing feeling, especially at KSC runway. Welcome to the Astronaut Pilot corps. :) Feel free to pick up your STS Pilot badge here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112399-STS-Space-Shuttle-Challenges-PROVE-YOUR-PILOTING-METTLE-Earn-a-Badge!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys, I'm back! And I've got a new shuttle for you, complete with the new shuttle engines and other parts that were added in 1.0.5.

http://i.imgur.com/u7q2M6H.png

In terms of functionality, not much has changed, although I have removed the parachutes from the external fuel tank since my last post. (Come to think of it, however, recovering the external tank might actually be possible now, due to the new water mechanics in 1.0.5. Hmm... I'll think about it.)

Anyway, here's the demo flight.

http://imgur.com/a/itwi8

Here's the download link:

http://kerbalx.com/ThirdOfFive/Kerbal-Space-Shuttle-105-Enterprise

Enjoy :)

That looks awesome! Making a space shuttle is like climbing Mt. Everest. It's a great feeling when you reach the top.

After a successful landing of the SRB-version without payload I'm trying to get the 42t orange tank into orbit, but the shuttle keeps tipping over to a heading of 0° (read: direction of external tank+boosters) right from the launch pad.

Also, it barely gets off the launch pad which I assume is by design since the shuttle has a TWR of 1.21 when fully wet.

I checked all tanks to make sure they are full as per the description in the OP. I'm at 533t dry and 887t wet.

Edit: Just wanted to load the STS-7 to try the LF version but KSP 1.0.4 tells me "Not compatible with this version of KSP" :(

Problem solved: I just now realised that the outher tanks don't have fuel lines going to the middle tank. Well, that's probably because they're just for aesthetics :confused: For future derps: Don't fill the outer external tanks. They just hide the SRBs and make the Shuttle look more realistic :)

Just had my first successful 42t Mission with a textbook landing (thx to a lot of luck, obviously)

screenshot5dbsii.png

screenshot7kls1p.png

screenshot9qrsc8.png

screenshot177ws9d.png

Edited by NoSyMe

• 3 weeks later...

A whole Thanksgiving weekend, and I never got around to this. Still workin' on my Contract Pack.  The fact that she flies well in 1.0.5 may mean that the Intrepid may have to wait for a rebuild until 1.1.

On 11/15/2015, 10:10:01, NoSyMe said:

After a successful landing of the SRB-version without payload I'm trying to get the 42t orange tank into orbit, but the shuttle keeps tipping over to a heading of 0° (read: direction of external tank+boosters) right from the launch pad.

Also, it barely gets off the launch pad which I assume is by design since the shuttle has a TWR of 1.21 when fully wet.

I checked all tanks to make sure they are full as per the description in the OP. I'm at 533t dry and 887t wet.

Edit: Just wanted to load the STS-7 to try the LF version but KSP 1.0.4 tells me "Not compatible with this version of KSP" :(

Problem solved: I just now realised that the outher tanks don't have fuel lines going to the middle tank. Well, that's probably because they're just for aesthetics :confused: For future derps: Don't fill the outer external tanks. They just hide the SRBs and make the Shuttle look more realistic :)

Just had my first successful 42t Mission with a textbook landing (thx to a lot of luck, obviously)

screenshot5dbsii.png

screenshot7kls1p.png

screenshot9qrsc8.png

screenshot177ws9d.png

Very beautiful, and well done!  I will have to re-save my shuttles for 1.0.5. I'll fix that tonight.

On 11/12/2015, 11:10:06, Ãœøр said:

I was just thinking about the STS-107 incident. Couldn't we get a recreation of it?

I'm actually thinking of developing a Contract Pack (see SSI Aerospace below) that actually has an STS-107 mission.

Edited by inigma

• 2 weeks later...

This is the reason I've not bothered to tweak my shuttle with Vectors yet. 

I'm a pioneer. Shuttles are so yesterday. Now a contract pack that actually requires the use of your amazing craft file? Cutting edge stuff, man. :D In-game advertising like no other!

GAP Dev update:

Bug Test Weekend for sure. Lots of Contract Configurator stuff, hardly got to working on advancing development of GAP this weekend, although what little time I did have to work on GAP, my 8 year old son insisted I create an STS contract. Yes, an STS contract. Accept the STS-1 contract, and you get an immediate copy of my awesome space shuttle (see my sig link) copied directly to your VAB for immediate use on the STS-1 mission. A hefty starting cost for sure, but the advance makes it worth your while, assuming you can lift the 42 ton STS-Fuel Pod depot into 100km orbit or higher, and return to KSC runway without dying. :D

fvbMjg2.pngYyrqSKI.png

this will serve as a teaser for GAP 3.0 - whenever that far future version is rolled out.

For now, I'm working on releasing 0.3 of GAP which will have this STS-1 teaser.

...more to come!

See link to GAP in my sig below for more on this contract pack I'm developing. I will probably be so busy with this pack that I'll hold off on updating my shuttle until KSP 1.1. Until then, she flies beautiful still, and meets all design parameters and goals. No need to fix her yet. :D

Edited by inigma

• 3 weeks later...

The STS-7E is featured in my new Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129208-contract-pack-giving-aircraft-a-purpose-gap-10-beta-air-flights-tours-coast-guard-sts-105jan-4-2016/

It's offered as part of accepting the STS-30 contract. Enjoy!

I'm waiting until after KSP 1.1 to rebuild my STS.

21 hours ago, inigma said:

The STS-7E is featured in my new Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129208-contract-pack-giving-aircraft-a-purpose-gap-10-beta-air-flights-tours-coast-guard-sts-105jan-4-2016/

It's offered as part of accepting the STS-30 contract. Enjoy!

I'm waiting until after KSP 1.1 to rebuild my STS.

It's a great shuttle that can only get better! You know, some big name builders have admitted they cannot build shuttles in this game version! Good work man.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note to inform you that I've opened the popular STS Space Shuttle Crafts & Subassemblies hangar on kerbalx.com to the public for open submissions of crafts and subassemblies compatible with the STS Space Shuttle.  Feel free to submit your craft designs there.

All STS Space Shuttle Crafts & Subassemblies
http://kerbalx.com/hangars/179

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/24/2016 at 0:34 AM, inigma said:

She still flies. :)

So I'm new to KSP, and I'm making my way through the career mode. I have been looking for some good mods that a not to crazy and more themed in the Kerbal universe, particularly a shuttle mod. I really like the KSO shuttle mod because it seems very Kerbal themed in looks and size. But that mod is a little out dated and is only now coming back with new updates. So how does this mod compare to that mod ( if anyone has KSO ) and how often is this Mod here updated.

From what I have gathered alot of the good mods have not been updated anytime recently to be stable on the latest KSP version. For example KAX =( 

2 hours ago, Sobecho said:

So I'm new to KSP, and I'm making my way through the career mode. I have been looking for some good mods that a not to crazy and more themed in the Kerbal universe, particularly a shuttle mod. I really like the KSO shuttle mod because it seems very Kerbal themed in looks and size. But that mod is a little out dated and is only now coming back with new updates. So how does this mod compare to that mod ( if anyone has KSO ) and how often is this Mod here updated.

From what I have gathered alot of the good mods have not been updated anytime recently to be stable on the latest KSP version. For example KAX =( 

This is not a mod, it's made from stock parts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone gotten this to fly in 1.1.3? Mine can't seem to get off the pad, even though MechJeb says it has a TWR of ~1.5.  I can't figure out if it's a glitch or what.  Thanks!  (BTW, I LOVE this craft! and I really want it to work again!)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dambuster6178 said:

hi all loving this sim but where do i put the file for this plz

Go into your KSP directory and find a folder marked "ships", then inside it find another folder marked "VAB" place the file in there.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Hey @inigma, any plans to update the shuttle?

Yes! I'm currently working on a playthrough of KSP using my GAP contract pack. I intend to finish development of cargo contracts and release GAP 1.3. Part of that playthrough includes testing the STS contract I developed, which will force me to redesign STS-7E into something more amazing. After the playthrough, whether I do the STS contract or not, I have no further projects on my plate and I really want to update the STS to 8 based on a number of novel ideas I've seen others use in shuttles.  The reason it's been so low on the development pole is because shuttles are so easy nowadays and just about anyone can make one, so there's really no longer a challenge as it was when I first released STS-1.  Funny thing is, STS-7 and STS-7E still fly very well in KSP 1.1.3 that there hasn't been a pressing need to update it. Heh. It's a tribute to its underlying design principles I guess, being able to last through so many updates of KSP.

31 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Wish I could get this kind of attention for my Saturn Shuttle :( .

link? :)

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.