STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

Ok, right now, I am putting recording the series on hold due to recorder issues and don't have the necessary time to devote to solving the issue at this time. (the recording WILL be done, just on pause).

In other news...1000th POST!!! :)

I'd like to request one other in memoriam in the OP, for the Challenger, mission STS-51-L. The necessary information, including the mission badge, is HERE.

I understand that the Columbia is more in the minds of younger folks, but it was the destruction of the Challenger that almost ended American Space exploration forever, such was the nation's grief. Thanks!

Edited by Ticondrius

I'd like to request one other in memoriam in the OP, for the Challenger, mission STS-51-L. The necessary information, including the mission badge, is HERE.

I understand that the Columbia is more in the minds of younger folks, but it was the destruction of the Challenger that almost ended American Space exploration forever, such was the nation's grief. Thanks!

Well, despite both of them being Space Shuttles, I think they both have totally different stories and morales.

I think STS-51L was about prioritizing human life regardless of delays here and there, and should always be put first above all things.Morton Thiokol (SRBS Manufacturer) knew about the SRB flaws in such cold weather, but decided to go on, even if it means risking seven lives.

STS-107 was more of being prepared for any possibility, even it it's just a bunch of foam tumbling on a wing. No one knew that it would cause yet another seven brave men and women dead.

Regardless, it's still tragic, even though the death toll isn't as significant as some other crashes. Just my opinion. But yes, I think both disasters deserve a memorial.

Well, despite both of them being Space Shuttles, I think they both have totally different stories and morales.

I think STS-51L was about prioritizing human life regardless of delays here and there, and should always be put first above all things.Morton Thiokol (SRBS Manufacturer) knew about the SRB flaws in such cold weather, but decided to go on, even if it means risking seven lives.

STS-107 was more of being prepared for any possibility, even it it's just a bunch of foam tumbling on a wing. No one knew that it would cause yet another seven brave men and women dead.

Regardless, it's still tragic, even though the death toll isn't as significant as some other crashes. Just my opinion. But yes, I think both disasters deserve a memorial.

Well said.

Hey, I guess I'm gonna have to reinstall KSP! The kraken attacked my computer system itself (guess I was so awesome it couldn't find any weak points in any of my craft so it attacked the computer running them)

Oh noes. hope you can get a new comp soon or current one fixed.

Is it possible to get information on the necessary flight profile for using this under the Realism Overhaul? Does it even work as-is, or would there need be a separate version to support a KSP with Kerbin at real Earth size?

I'm not fond of Realism, but I guarantee that if you fly it with RO, and draft a flight profile, I'll spoilerize it in the OP. :)

Just thought I would let you know that Kerbal Inventory System has been released. It was mentioned that KAS will lose its containers and its ability to grab parts when it is updated next.

Thanks for the heads up. I am not sure I follow though. Is KAS saying they are no longer going to be having containers in future KAS versions? And if people want containers they will have to install the separate KIS mod? Can KIS do the same thing as KAS when its stand alone?

Edited by inigma

Thanks for the heads up. I am not sure I follow though. Is KAS saying they are no longer going to be having containers in future KAS versions? And if people want containers they will have to install the separate KIS mod? Can KIS do the same thing as KAS when its stand alone?

Yeah KAS is removing the containers and the ability to grab parts. That functionality is going to only be available in KIS. The winches, pipes and such will still be part of KAS.

Here is the link to KIS:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113111-0-90-Kerbal-Inventory-System-%28KIS%29-1-0-0

Edit: I have played around a little bit with KIS and it is a lot easier to put parts in the container in VAB. It has made any part removable as long as you have enough kerbals (1 ton per kerbal). Also, kerbals have their own inventory that can store small items like lights and such.

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

STS 22 - Mission: Supply transfer to kerbal international space station

Features:

- Modified STS-4: Added stx airbrakes

- Modified operations module: KAS container attacher and robotic arm

gbaa9iko.png

siiqrgfa.png

(click images to enlarge...)

Edited by Scathalh

STS 22 - Mission: Supply transfer to kerbal international space station

Features:

- Modified STS-4: Added stx airbrakes

- Modified operations module: KAS container attacher and robotic arm

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150317/temp/gbaa9iko.png

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150317/temp/siiqrgfa.png

(click images to enlarge...)

Wow.

Shuttle name?

Also, if you developed a better arm and module, is there a subassembly? If so share the subassembly download link and I'll publish it in the OP! I only need the tonnage of such, and the mods used, to complete the index.

Edited by inigma

@inigma

The name of the shuttle is "Sagittarius".

The module is a subassembly, but i guess your service module is similar and better

(i've only modified your subassembly, because i don't have infernal robotics and i only use the robotic arms pack).

@Sampa

Thank you.

See more screens here

Edited by Scathalh

Inigma, I think it would be great if you could build a replica of the Buran Shuttle, which is similar in configuration. It flew only once though, unmanned. There aren't much replicas in the forum of it, though, although the shuttle is quite famous. I think it would greatly complement the Intrepid as well, too. Would it be alright as a suggestion?

Thanks in advance! :D

096-3D-3D-buran_decollage_04.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.