VTOL problems

KSP was never really designed for that, you know.

Anyway, is it really the engine that damages the carrier or the rocking back and forth in the water? You know, water in vanilla KSP is more like molten concrete.

You could try using the Better Buoyancy mod and see if it changes anything.

Edited by Janos1986

Being a carrier and thus big, I suspect your craft wobbles and buckles somewhat, perhaps resulting in your engine-exhaust hitting some parts.

Are by any chance your engines placed high up on your craft? If that's the case, try placing them lower. And/or strutting the engines.

Anyway, is it really the engine that damages the carrier or the rocking back and forth in the water? You know, water in vanilla KSP is more like molten concrete.

When i am landing, the log is full of "structural plate thingy (carrier deck) was damaged by engine exhaust from basic jet engine"

the exhaust also seems to be forcing the boat away, but this doesn't cause any damage

I don't think there's any easy way to solve this in stock, or with any mods I know of. But there may be a way to design around it. Instead of one jet engine facing down, try putting on two jet engines canted out at 45-degree angles. It should still give you enough lift, but the thrust won't be going straight into your carrier's deck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.