Is there a way to change the flag background for transparent designs?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean flag decals on vehicles, or the flags you plant on the ground? For the latter, I think KSP always uses that hanging-fabric background. On ships, transparent is just simply transparent.

I haven't seen anything that changes these behaviors that I can recall.

I think what the OP means, is when you use a transparent logo for your flag, the game still puts a blank white flag background behind it when you place a flag on EVA.

The "flag" I picked in the VAB for this mission is simply the red KASA worm logo with a transparent background. Looks great on the side of your ships as just lettering.

When placed as an EVA flag, the game appears to stick the white minimalist.png flag behind yours.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/541887966882001047/FE89D0C649EEC1A405BEA56CB1CBE52C17F11658/

I am willing to bet that the fabric area is part of the 3D flag model, and what looks like the game putting minimalist.png under your chosen flag is actually the texture on the flag model itself.

Don't quote me on that. ;)

Edit: in which case the TextureReplacer mod is what you'd want.

Edited by klesh

The reason I want to change this is simply because I don't want a flag on my space ship, only my logo.

You should be good to go then, it's working as you (and I) want it. Thats exactly what I have, the KASA worm logo as just red lettering on my ships, then the picture I posted above which puts a flag behind my "flag" when I plant one on EVA. It would look silly if the EVA flag was just a floating KASA logo, right?

Make your transparent logo, save it as .png in GameData\Squad\flags and it should look great on your ships and look like a flag too when you place it. If you want something that matches or works with your tansparent logo (like a red flag field instead of white), that gets slightly more complicated but probably doable.

Does that help?

The reason I want to change this is simply because I don't want a flag on my space ship, only my logo.
but if I have transparent logo it still being placed on a white flag which I want to edit.

Wait, when is your transparent logo being placed on a white flag?

I'm not understanding your problem now. You should be able to achieve not having a flag on your ship, just the nice logo with transparency.

Are you wanting to have an EVA-placed flag, with just your logo (and no white flag behind it) dangling from the pole? I think it would look weird, but in that case, TextureReplacer mod is what you need. You need to find the texture for the EVA flag pole, and edit it to not have a while flag background.

Edited by klesh

Ah ha! Yes, now I understand perfectly. Indeed, you'll need to find the texture for the EVA flag in the game files, and change it to have your blue flag background. Your new texture would be used with the TextureReplacer mod to be seen ingame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.