Laptop to play KSP

Vindaloo

I got an Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) laptop a couple of years ago. I love it. It's a true gaming laptop that will play everything from Shadows of Mordor to KSP at pretty much full detail. Mine only cost about $1000 (on sale) but it weighs about 10 lbs. :o If you want a gaming laptop I'd personally do a search on current ones to see prices and benchmark comparisons. The best ones usually cost over $2,000, the mid range ones are around $1000-1500 and the cheap ones are around $500-600 but not worth it IMO.

Edited by bdito

I got an Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) laptop a couple of years ago. I love it. It's a true gaming laptop that will play everything from Shadows of Mordor to KSP at pretty much full detail. Mine only cost about $1000 (on sale) but it weighs about 10 lbs. :o If you want a gaming laptop I'd personally do a search on current ones to see prices and benchmark comparisons. The best ones usually cost over $2,000, the mid range ones are around $1000-1500 and the cheap ones are around $500-600 but not worth it IMO.

I have an ASUS ROG as well that I bought this summer... Paid about $1300 with a pretty killer graphics card in it. Can handle KSP with quite a few mods and graphics turned all the way up with no problems. It weighs a ton though, so if you're used to some ultra-lightweight web-browser type computer, it might take some getting used to.

I have a Thinkpad T430, which works just fine for KSP.

I'm interested how your T430 is specced? Do you have integrated graphics or discrete? What CPU are you using? Do you get any framerate issues? What about when you build a big station?

I ask because I have a similar question to the OP and I'm very interested in upgrading my W500 to newer Thinkpad like the W550s or something like that.

My specs:

Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 Ghz

4 GB RAM

ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 discrete graphics

It runs KSP "OK" with small ships, but always lags if I can see the planet, especially if I have the lights on. Basically it's not good enough at all for a proper KSP experience. If anyone feels I'm hijacking the thread, please feel free to let me know and I can delete this post and start a new thread, but I felt my question was almost the same so OP and I will both benefit from the answer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.