1. 1. Who Should Play KSP?

• For Bills and Bobs ages 1-6
    • Small parts: Best for children 6+
    • 10-15: Jebediah supervision recommended
    • Warning: Contains Rocket Science. Most suitable for ages 15+
    • Rated M for Moho: 18+ Only
    • Great for all ages, pilots, engineers, and scientists

Broadcasting directly from the Mun:

Hello fellow Kerbonauts, humans, and otherwise. One day, I heard someone call Kerbal Space Program a "children's game." This made me wonder who here agrees with that.... But mostly I wondered what sort of age group you believe KSP to be suited for, or what age group should be playing it. Vote in the poll, and reply with your thoughts.

Broadcasting directly from the Mun:

Hello fellow Kerbonauts, humans, and otherwise. One day, I heard someone call Kerbal Space Program a "children's game." This made me wonder who here agrees with that.... But mostly I wondered what sort of age group you believe KSP to be suited for, or what age group should be playing it. Vote in the poll, and reply with your thoughts.

A young child would be confused out of their mind by KSP. Heck, college students (i.e. my friends) are confused by it at first (and I go to a tech school). I think KSPs target audience has nothing to do with age, but rather ability to learn and existing intelligence moreso than anything else.

I'm going to introduce my son to KSP when he's old enough.

I think that should be around 7.

Hopefully it'll be multiplayer, so I can play with him.

(Addendum for clarity: why are we worried about whether or not it's a children's game? Would you be ashamed to play it if it were?)

yeah you kind of blew it on the poll :P

I think the characters are the only thing that could make the game seem childish to someone. But as someone who watched all of MLP, I think its the content that really matters, not the packaging so-to-speak.

Besides, the more kids that get into this the better.

I would think a kid around 8 or 10 could play this and get some fun out of it, albeit in a very non-mathy way. It doesn't take a lot of brains or maturity to click and drag parts together and hit a launch button. Would their rockets be efficient? No. Would they be able to go to Jool? Probably not. But they could probably have fun blowing things up and maybe even getting into orbit of Kerbin with some luck.

I know that my 14 year old nephew is smart enough to master about 70-80% of this game if he tried it -- kids these days have a lot of video game experience under their belts. The math and terminology would be the biggest things holding kids back, but if they have enough interest they can usually find the answers they need.

I know that my 14 year old nephew is smart enough to master about 70-80% of this game if he tried it -- kids these days have a lot of video game experience under their belts. The math and terminology would be the biggest things holding kids back, but if they have enough interest they can usually find the answers they need.

I'm 15 and I can get Duna pretty easily (although I haven't done it in my serious-business save yet...). I think the appropriate age for someone to actually grasp and understand the math behind KSP begins around 10-11 years old.

The game is suited for those interested in space exploration, and have the capability to learn the advanced gameplay mechanics, as it does have some real-life physics to it.

However, it is both easy to work with (click and drag, launch the thing) for younger players, and advanced enough (Newtonian mechanics, Delta-V, docking, planetary transfers) for those who are older. Unlike all other games, it is truly for everyone.

I have never used math playing ksp, nor do I use ker or mechjeb. You don't need any numbers or data to get a rocket to jool and back. Eventually you can eyeball it. Granted, I'll give you the inefficiency point, but with a little trial and error I manage just fine.

Scott Manley's kids were playing KSP with him back when they were 5 or 6, so I think it's safe to say that KSP is fine for people of all ages. Though some parental guidance would probably be helpful for anyone under about the age of 8 or so, mostly because reading comprehension on average tends to not be so great prior to that age.

For anyone, even if they won't fully understand all the physics behind rocketry, they can also have fun by trial and error: ut some fuel tank and engine together and try until it work.

After all, is it really dramatic if the player can't go on the mun?

Even if he can't go in orbit, the important point of a game is to have fun.

After all, is it really dramatic if the player can't go on the mun?

Even if he can't go in orbit, the important point of a game is to have fun.

Absolutely true. I didn't even try to get to the Mun until after I had the game for quite a while (maybe a year?). Half the time I play KSP nowadays is spent just messing around, as well. It is indeed a game.

Like with anything that has the word game attached to it it is immediately thought to be something for children, and honestly a lot of games are not intended for children. However this game I feel is one that kids as young as 10 could get into, much like Minecraft it as many things they can learn to do and accomplish. Partner this up with their parents also playing, or in some cases helping them to understand something, could from a stronger bond between parents and children, something that has fallen from the wayside is a "family game night". I remember playing Space Shuttle Project on the NES back in 1991 and I was 13 at the time, it was a blast for what it was. Here is a sample of the kind of game play it had....And yes it had reentry heat damage :sticktongue:

Here's how I've described it:

"You've got these little green men with big heads who want to build spaceships. They're clumsy and talk funny, and you need to help them make their rockets, which is a cross between model rocketry and letter blocks. So when you're done with your cute little spaceship you take it outside to put a firecracker under it see how it works.

Then the physics engine kicks in and the gloves come off. Cue screaming."

to be honest in this generation there is no restriction for buying games that are not suitable for your age, like a 12 years old can go to steam and buy Call of duty or GTA and no one would ever know, and KSP for me is not a game its a learning tool.

Kids are generally more intuitive than adults. In terms of the cartoony-ness of it, it's childs play. :P In terms of the game play, it's really not rocket science. Orbital mechanics doesn't require a PhD, or a high school diploma for that matter. I voted great for all ages. If you want real rocket science play RO. I enjoy stock more than RO though.

In all seriousness, the decision to use the childish, cartoony Kerbals, which Squad has embraced with both arms, makes a subject which is generally regarded as extremely intimidating into something quite approachable.

Now, when are they going to start offering plushies?!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.