Opinion on Alt+F12 Menu?

makinyashikino

Do you ever use the Debug Menu?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever use the Debug Menu?

• Yes! I'm a cheetah!
    • Only if I mess up big time!
    • Only to test out new designs! Honest!
    • I uninstall the game if I even consider opening it.

It's nice to have a test run or two where I can allow it - if my new rocket suddenly flips over and decides that the crew inside should really take a closer look at the ground RIGHT NOW, then I feel like that would've been caught by something beforehand, ha.

Only for resetting and reloading, though. No part clipping or anything like that.

I only used it to enable editor clipping, not to actually clip parts, but because the editor is stupid sometimes when placing things in symmetry.

(That problem may have been fixed in 0.90 though)

Edited by Alshain

Wow, that poll totally isn't biased in any way, no sir, no one looking at that poll could possibly determine the OP's opinion on the debug menu :P

It's a bunch of tools, one of which even enables more part clipping! Oh and it lets you edit your difficulty, and whack-a-kerbal is fun.

It's not really something to have an opinion on, it's like asking what people think of the console in Quake.

I only cheat in self-defense, meaning if KSP cheats (I've randomly decided that your ship's engine fell off and now it will smash into a cliff really hard and destroy all the fuel tanks for no reason, or I've randomly decided that your Mun base is a frog and will jump into space every time you load it, landing upside down and exploding) I'm willing to fire up Alt+F12 or HyperEdit to get my mission back on track.

Wow, that poll totally isn't biased in any way, no sir, no one looking at that poll could possibly determine the OP's opinion on the debug menu :P

It's a bunch of tools, one of which even enables more part clipping! Oh and it lets you edit your difficulty, and whack-a-kerbal is fun.

It's not really something to have an opinion on, it's like asking what people think of the console in Quake.

I'm not THAT biased! I swear!

Part-Clipping is A-OK in my book, to an extent, as long as you don't combine 300 Orange tanks to make one Supertank.

Only to test new designs is closest to the rare times I use it. Most of the time I only use it for screwing around, Wack'A'Kerbal, hack gravity, and infinite fuel FTW. However I've used it in test saves to unlock just the science nodes to match my main save so I dont end up with parts I cant use on the craft when I port it back over. I've never really felt the need to mess around with the other parts of the debug menu.

I've been trying to figure out the debug menu to fix a few issues.

I use hack gravity all the time to test a ship's RCS response, some staging test or to launch something up turn gravity back on and land it. All test flights.

I've used it to get easy launches in my sandbox test save (so launching into space is as simple as sticking one big SRB on there). Otherwise I *try* to avoid it, but if I end up really frustrated at a minor issue that makes the mission not work near the very end, I'll sometimes use it when I'd really rather not redo the whole mission.

Heck yeah I've used it. I forgot to add a mystery goo container on my Laythe base once. I only realized it when I was on Laythe and the contract wouldn't complete. There's no way I was going to redo that mission from the start.

I've also had to use it to complete buggy missions obtained from mods occasionally. I complete the mission to a T but for some oddity it won't complete.

I've used it plenty before! But only when I'm messing around. Messed up a huge mission? Too bad...revert! Out of fuel? Revert! Jeb just died again? Go revert after you've dried your tears.

The reason I'm so capable of not using Alt-F12 is because I care a lot about doing missions 100% legitimately. Flying with limits is fun. :)

Nope, sandbox is easy enough. I don't need none of that "Hack Gravity" to get something that shouldn't fly in the air in there. I do that with more boosters, like the players who came before Career mode. :P

EDIT: I do use it if i'm just messing around, though.

I make extencive use of debug menus wherever they are.

Usually it's to prevent tedium. Like I design a new Mun lander, take it for a spin, and upon going home, find it ALMOST had enough fuel to make it home. Rather than leave Jeb on the Mun and launch a new mission to get him, I chalk it up as a mental loss, and enable inf fuel to get home.

And offcourse when my asteroid grabber keeps jumping in and out of Kerbin SOI, I infinite fuel burn away from the SOI, than into a horrible angle to capture the asteroid. Stuf like that.

I do the same in other games. For example in Skyrim, when I am about to die because stupid me attracted to many enemys, and my last save is 30 minutes ago. I'll just god mode kill them, and the effect is the same as if I'd have had a quicksave just before the encounter and redid it. A mental loss, but atleast I don't lose half an hour of play

How is MechJeb cheating? Do you really believe the astronauts had complete control of the space shuttle? Onboard computers were capable of everything from remotely landing the craft to docking with the ISS. MechJeb is simply a component that some use.

Also, as a note, I do use MechJeb's docking autopilot. Saves stress and time. The only other useful tool in MechJeb is that it has one feature that actually gives real distance to the ground and not sea level. Very handy when making night landings on Duna or the Mun.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by regex View Post

Using Mechjeb is cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, so is part clipping. And procedural parts are "uncreative".

So much irony ... and without tagging it as such. Rare these days, thanx

Um, irony? oops. My bad!

Edited by adsii1970

How is MechJeb cheating?

Its not, calm down. Please not another of these mj threads please. Grumpy or not, i am pretty sure regex was sarcastic as i really cannot see why one of the most respected posters here wants to school others how to play the game and/or start a new "mj is cheating" thread :)

All polls are biased to some degree, but there are some that are more subtle than others. This one is about as subtle as bull in a china shop....where all the china is red.

Do you guys ever use the Alt+F12 menu in case you accidentally screw up a mission and don't have the patience to load a quicksave or send a rescue mission. Do you ever "find some extra fuel lying around ;)" or do you remove those keys from your keyboard in an act of disgust for cheaters? Thoughts?

So many like questions today about play morality

Alt-F12 unlimited fuel

Alt-F12 Hack Gravity

Can be used for parts testing (payload) in sandbox mode and I see nothing wrong with that. I have used alt F12 to explore Kerbols corona (see what the death radius is) and similarly what are deep space limiits.

Use it, test parts, build better, improve.... This is not PvP in WoW.

The 'unlimited fuel' thing isn't really cheating as long as there's the "Get Out And Push" option, and you're "cheating" a low-TWR situation that could be handled by an EVA kerbal pushing.

I've been tempted to make a sarcastic little engine module that provided unlimited pushing at EVA thruster strength (limit 1 per ship, has to have at least one crew on board) just to make a point.

:P

#BringBackMonopropEVA~

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.