Water Rat - Light Weight Ion Boat

CRAFT FILE: http://goo.gl/5AovWP

While the Water Rat is not on the cheaper end of scale, it does come with some quite essential features including; an inbuilt fridge with room with 2 dozen beers, bait store, Bluetooth audio system, ballistic parachute and complimentary fishing rods (limit of two per custormer).

yemks8a.jpg

In addition to being a boat the Water Rat is actually a fully independent space craft able to operate alone in deep space. Using the docking port at the stern will allow you to perform burns with the navball, and enable you to perform precision landings on Laythe, Kerbin or Eve with the inbuilt parachute.

J1e4yaZ.jpg

I've had quite a few requests for this so I hope you guys enjoy it!

yaiJpk1.jpg

OPERATORS MANUAL:

Cruising Speed : 12 m/s

Planing Speed : 22 m/s

To get up on the plane pitch the bow up to 10* above the horizon. Control should be set to one of the command seats, or the docking port at the stern if unmanned. If you capsize switch control to the probe core as it will give you plenty of torque to right the vessel.

That's it, let me know if you have an Qs. :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

CRAFT FILE: http://goo.gl/5AovWP

While the Water Rat is not on the cheaper end of scale, it does come with some quite essential features including; an inbuilt fridge with room with 2 dozen beers, bait store, Bluetooth audio system, ballistic parachute and complimentary fishing rods (limit of two per custormer).

http://i.imgur.com/yemks8a.jpg

In addition to being a boat the Water Rat is actually a fully independent space craft able to operate alone in deep space. Using the docking port at the stern will allow you to perform burns with the navball, and enable you to perform precision landings on Laythe, Kerbin or Eve with the inbuilt parachute.

http://i.imgur.com/J1e4yaZ.jpg

I've had quite a few requests for this so I hope you guys enjoy it!

http://i.imgur.com/yaiJpk1.jpg

OPERATORS MANUAL:

Cruising Speed : 12 m/s

Planing Speed : 22 m/s

To get up on the plane pitch the bow up to 10* above the horizon. Control should be set to one of the command seats, or the docking port at the stern if unmanned. If you capsize swith control to the probe core as it will give you plenty of torque to right the vessel.

That's it, let me know if you have an Qs. :)

Cupcake...

Lol this is great! I've been testing something really similar but yours is better than what I have so far! Good job man.

Hearing you speak of getting up on the plane reminded me of work!

Lol this is great! I've been testing something really similar but yours is better than what I have so far! Good job man.

Hearing you speak of getting up on the plane reminded me of work!

I'd love to see your take on it as well, have you got pics? :)

looks neat, but how many parts, and how much clipping was involved?

It's 34 parts and weighs in at around 0.9t. There's not much going on in terms of clipping, the parachutes mounted upside down inside the hull but that's about that. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I'd love to see your take on it as well, have you got pics? :)

lol, no no.. It's horrid. Just a test rig at the moment, a seat some, reaction wheels and an ion engine.

Working on thinking about starting to plan a possible laythe mission.

You have inspired me to stick a boat on my Jool-5 mothership.

It's not a bad idea really, I mean the trouble with Laythe is trying to find the little yellow bits while avoiding the big blue bits. With a boat you'll be able to putter along to the nearest island even if you end up in the drink. :D

lol, no no.. It's horrid. Just a test rig at the moment, a seat some, reaction wheels and an ion engine.

Working on thinking about starting to plan a possible laythe mission.

Oh well, I'd love to see it once it's looking a bit more presentable. :) I also think a designer of your calibre should go for the full monty Jool 5 rather then just a trip to Laythe. :wink:

Cupcake...

I also think a designer of your calibre should go for the full monty Jool 5 rather then just a trip to Laythe. :wink:

Cupcake...

I wont be doing anything like that Cupcake. I've seen the Jool 5 craft and they are very capable but ugly as sin.

I wont be doing anything like that Cupcake. I've seen the Jool 5 craft and they are very capable but ugly as sin.

Therein lies the challenge, make a pretty one! :kiss: But yes, I know what you mean, the lightwieght ones especially are amazing feats of engineering but aesthetics definetely take a back seat. :P

Cupake...

Therein lies the challenge, make a pretty one! :kiss: But yes, I know what you mean, the lightwieght ones especially are amazing feats of engineering but aesthetics definetely take a back seat. :P

Cupake...

Yes I should have elaborated. I don't have any desire to pour over mass ratios and dv calculations, have yet to do one, been everywhere.

I much prefer to focus on making something look cool and then work out how to make it fly. It's served me well so far! So apart from maybe a 2 launch mission to Jool and laythe I wont be delving into those kinds of missions.

looks neat, but how many parts, and how much clipping was involved?

While i do go by the saying "to each his own", people that have issues with clipping really need to leave us for fun builders alone.

While i avoid it myself, especially fuel clipping, sometimes i have a crazy design that isnt meant to be serious 1 bit, and ill do whatever is needed to get what i am designing to work....

A boat is about as fun as it gets, heck, i highly doubt the devs intended intakes to veen function as boat parts, but i sure am glad they do.

Yes I should have elaborated. I don't have any desire to pour over mass ratios and dv calculations, have yet to do one, been everywhere.

I much prefer to focus on making something look cool and then work out how to make it fly. It's served me well so far! So apart from maybe a 2 launch mission to Jool and laythe I wont be delving into those kinds of missions.

this is basically how i play KSP, finally glad to see im not the only one who doesnt care so much about 100% realism or viability, but makes a cool or fun or just badass looking whatever it is, and then figure out what i want to do with it after ive made it.

Fair enough. I'm pretty much the same! My current Jool mission is a little better planned then my previous one but still consists of taking lots of fuel and hoping for the best! :D

While i do go by the saying "to each his own", people that have issues with clipping really need to leave us for fun builders alone.

While i avoid it myself, especially fuel clipping, sometimes i have a crazy design that isnt meant to be serious 1 bit, and ill do whatever is needed to get what i am designing to work....

A boat is about as fun as it gets, heck, i highly doubt the devs intended intakes to veen function as boat parts, but i sure am glad they do.

this is basically how i play KSP, finally glad to see im not the only one who doesnt care so much about 100% realism or viability, but makes a cool or fun or just badass looking whatever it is, and then figure out what i want to do with it after ive made it.

Well said! :) Yeah, I guess at the end of the day people can take this game a little too seriously at times. :P

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.