Realistic Thoughts on additional bodies

Back when I first got KSP, I found the whole system fulfilling and satisfying, but like others I quickly exhausted my places to go and became interested in additional bodies. I thought this would be imminent back in 0.18, but 9 versions and minimum changes to all of the planets, I am beginning to wonder what will be done, if anything. Many players consider the system incomplete and I can say near everyone wouldn't mind a nice new place to explore.

What do you think? Will SQUAD do this in an expansion pack or later updates, and when do you think they will make a (possible) move?

Personally I'm beginning to think they're saving it for an EP.

I think it would be bettter to add more features and interesting things on the existing bodies. Not doing that just adds another nondescript place to visit.

Volcanoes, cryovolcanoes, a planet where simple lifeforms used to live and the ability to discover why they went extinct, meteroites discoverable on Kerbin, think it would be interesting to have a moon with a moon or an asteriod like Ida with a satellite, and other things similar.

I am just a casual enthusiast so I have now doubt that the above suggestions could be added to by more knowlegable forum members.

I honestly see GP2 coming at some point before they are done with the base game. since they said the next version is 1.0, but they will still continue a lot of work on it, I still consider them in beta. I really think GP2 will happen.

That said, I'm really pulling for a celebratory "HERE IS A SURPRISE PLANET SINCE WE ARE GOING TO 1.0" thing.

As I've said before in other threads, I'm happy with Squad's updates and love where the game is going. I absolutely want more places to go and more to do when I get there. I would pay 5 or ten bucks for more planets and moons. I would pay more for more star systems and the FTL drives to get to them. Yes, there are mods, but I want them in stock

As I've said before in other threads, I'm happy with Squad's updates and love where the game is going. I absolutely want more places to go and more to do when I get there. I would pay 5 or ten bucks for more planets and moons. I would pay more for more star systems and the FTL drives to get to them. Yes, there are mods, but I want them in stock

This is one of the few devs I will glady pay for DLC's they put out. Their behavior so far seems honest and upfront. I find it hard to imagine them intentially holding back content to release in DLC's.

to add to my above post a comet would be good addition.

I think that really the current planets want to be more interesting and better looking. Because the detail in the textures and the terrain is fairly low, they're mostly kind of bland from the ground.

Of course, making them more detailed is easier said than done. KSP's planets may be small compared to real ones, but by video game map standards they're huge. Kerbin alone dwarfs all of these claimed largest game worlds put together, barring the randomised Minecraft.

I wouldn't mind more planets, but I'd love to have Kerbin covered by cities and roads more. Make landing something more difficult on Kerbin than "Burst through atmosphere at 5000 m/s, dump rest of rocket on mountain, pop parachute, land." You'd have to land more carefully, either picking places like ocean or desert where few things to hit are, or you'd have to develop precision landing tactics.

Plus, if one could drive a rover from point A to point B by following roads, it'd give an easy way to explore Kerbin. Not useful for some, but I like using Kerbin's science to allow me to build up enough to send missions deeper into space.

I think it would be bettter to add more features and interesting things on the existing bodies. Not doing that just adds another nondescript place to visit.

Volcanoes, cryovolcanoes, a planet where simple lifeforms used to live and the ability to discover why they went extinct, meteroites discoverable on Kerbin, think it would be interesting to have a moon with a moon or an asteriod like Ida with a satellite, and other things similar.

I am just a casual enthusiast so I have now doubt that the above suggestions could be added to by more knowlegable forum members.

This was my thought as well. Resource mining will help a bit, but I want more reasons to build and expand bases on foreign bodies. Maybe set them up so permanent bases will slowly generate science/rep/money, with bigger bases generating it at higher rates? I dunno, just, something.

HarvesteR has said before that they don't plan on adding any more celestial bodies until they can solve the performance issues, mostly RAM. I would imagine that once they've either ported over to Unity 5, OR they come up with a much better texture loading system (perhaps not load all textures all at the same time?) then they'll be much more open to adding new worlds. BUT, like others have said, I would really like to see more on the planets we have. More planets would most definitely not hurt, though.

HarvesteR has said before that they don't plan on adding any more celestial bodies until they can solve the performance issues, mostly RAM.
Clearly if a mod can do it, it's not that hard of a problem to solve. Maybe they would need to optimize it over mod code, but the point is that it can be done. This is a real problem with KSP and calling it a production quality (e.g. 1.0, not beta) game without proper memory management is just ... silly.

HarvesteR has said before that they don't plan on adding any more celestial bodies until they can solve the performance issues, mostly RAM. I would imagine that once they've either ported over to Unity 5, OR they come up with a much better texture loading system (perhaps not load all textures all at the same time?) then they'll be much more open to adding new worlds. BUT, like others have said, I would really like to see more on the planets we have. More planets would most definitely not hurt, though.

This, ram is an major issue more planets will give more problems here, better texture management or 64 bit would solve the issue however this is probably an Unity 5 issue.

I would obviously enjoy more system bodies and would love more detailed maps on the bodies we have.

I think upping the detail on existing bodies is a higher priority for me. There are a lot of journeys where I have spent days planning, building and piloting a craft to then spend only five minutes on the surface as there is nothing to see. Even Kerbin is dull to drive a rover around on.

After that a few inner dwarf planets, a Uranus analogue and some outer dwarf planets would be lovely. Perhaps change the current non planet asteroid generating system to give comet like trajectories. Of course I'd like these to be fully mapped and interesting to explore.

Starting to get removed from the"realistic" part of the thread name.

I am often heard saying we need more planets, but looking at my over modded Computer, I think more planets should be in a DLC. Please squad. Make new planets, and put them in a DLC, so I can play ksp now, and when I uninstall some unneeded mods in the future, I will get the DLC. Plis.

I'd like to see a procedurally generated solar system so when I play the game, I'm playing in a different solar system than you. Maybe use a seed or something so we could reproduce systems we liked.

Wow, that would be cool, but we'd all need our own system map to calculate delta-v with.

Wow, that would be cool, but we'd all need our own system map to calculate delta-v with.
It's just math, I'm sure someone could come up with an external app to generate something close. Maybe adapt AlexMun's launch window planner or something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.