[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

This plugin is KittopiaTechs first continuation, as far as I am aware. So as long as Gravitasi doesn't change how the config parser asks the plugin to make rings, your existing configuration should work fine. Simply ask people to download this instead of my discontinued work, as this will likely be updated to any future KSP version.

Thanks for your response and many thanks for KittopiaTech and all your efforts. Feel sorry that you abandone it, but I'm pretty sure that nothing of your work will be in vain.

One more time many, many thanks for your efforts and all the posibilities that you opened with Kittopia.

I'm not getting any of the planets to show up... I'm not sure if its because of Kopernicus Tech, or if maybe its something to do with OPM, because I saw that it got updated and that it didn't have the correct Kopernicus DLL... Can someone let me know if they have a similar problem and how I can fix it? I didn't have this problem when I used _Augustus_'s Kopernicus Core mod, and I was running Stella and OPM just fine

How do i make stars with this? I read TheBlackDwarf's little guide, but i am not sure(the code he posted doesn't contain the piece of code to change the radius). :)

You can't. They cause Kopernicus and Kittopia to not load for some reason.

I'm not getting any of the planets to show up... I'm not sure if its because of Kopernicus Tech, or if maybe its something to do with OPM, because I saw that it got updated and that it didn't have the correct Kopernicus DLL... Can someone let me know if they have a similar problem and how I can fix it? I didn't have this problem when I used _Augustus_'s Kopernicus Core mod, and I was running Stella and OPM just fine

try the newest OPM release 1.5.2, it now includes the right dll

The first one concerns the sun shining through planets, especially ones that are significantly larger than their templates. This will concern everyone trying to make realistically sized planetary systems, and is especially noticeable on gas giants.

Weird... As I said in the OP, it should work no matter how large your planet is. Okay, I'll look into it. I just need to multiply a planet's radius, right? (probably by 11)

The second one is about Kittopia's sphereOfinfluence parameter, it seems like this one does not get applied at game load; however it does get applied when loading manually from the ingame gui. This one is important for everyone striving to make asteroids and small bodies without neutron star densities, KSP's way of calculating SOI's offers no other ways around that in many instances.

Yes, the SOI parameter seems to get replaced on startup, somehow. I'll also look into it later.

The third one... you apparently resolved before I had the chance to report here, I fail to recreate it. That one was about planets much larger than their templates disappearing when looked at from an angle. I am blown away, you cannot believe how much that bugged me :o

Whatever you did to fix that, thank you!

To be honest, I'm not even sure about what I did to fix it... Well... You're welcome. :D

Ahh I see. Is there any way for the scaled space textures to be exported at a higher resolution than 2048x1024?

There's no way to do it for now, since I hardcoded the resolution on the code. Okay, I'll make it available on the next release.

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed that some of you simply replaced the Kopernicus dll in the package with the new Kopernicus 0.0.4 dll. I need to remind you that Kopernicus code was also modified in KopernicusTech, so there could be problems if one uses the original Kopernicus dll. I'll integrate the new Kopernicus code ASAP.

But, since the biome fix is a very long-awaited update, I could understand your enthusiasm, though.

Edited by Gravitasi

This has me wondering, are we effectively maintaining two version of Kopernicus right now? Your version and the offical version? Would it not make more sense for you to do pull requests to the official one and just keep one version so no confusion can happen?

What changes have you made to Kopernicus that differs from Teknoman117's version?

Edit: I just realized how cluttered the SaveLoad folder gets, so I figured I'd take the time to request a small feature. Could we have it so the SaveLoad folder will work with other folders inside? It would be nice to group planets together in separate folders.

Edited by Borisbee

Weird... As I said in the OP, it should work no matter how large your planet is. Okay, I'll look into it. I just need to multiply a planet's radius, right? (probably by 11)

-------

I just noticed that some of you simply replaced the Kopernicus dll in the package with the new Kopernicus 0.0.4 dll. I need to remind you that Kopernicus code was also modified in KopernicusTech, so there could be problems if one uses the original Kopernicus dll. I'll integrate the new Kopernicus code ASAP.

But, since the biome fix is a very long-awaited update, I could understand your enthusiasm, though.

I multiplied the radii by 6.4x on the screenshots.

Viewing distance affects it a lot, being very close the occlusion mostly works.

About the .dll replacing, I had a question :D

I made some configs to integrate 64K (handled by RSS) with OPM; however the latest update - adding the latest .dll from the main branch broke those configs. Now, this is totally user error here, but where exactly would KopernicusTech handle something successfully that the main branch would fail with?

And thanks for looking into all the little bugs :)

Edited by Tellion

This has me wondering, are we effectively maintaining two version of Kopernicus right now? Your version and the offical version? Would it not make more sense for you to do pull requests to the official one and just keep one version so no confusion can happen?

What changes have you made to Kopernicus that differs from Teknoman117's version?

Yes, I think we are, technically, maintaining two version of Kopernicus. But no, I don't think making a pull request will make sense, since all I did was making Kopernicus more compatible with KittopiaTech. I believe Kopernicus team themselves is more interested on creating their own, less hacky, PQS loader.

So far, not much changes, actually. Rather than changes, I actually removed some features on Kopernicus, since KittopiaTech also handles it, and it would be redundant if both of them handled it (e.g. scaled space generation). This is also another reason of why making a pull request won't make sense.

But of course, if I ever find something that could improve Kopernicus (but not necessarily KopernicusTech), I will make a pull request to the official version.

Edit: I just realized how cluttered the SaveLoad folder gets, so I figured I'd take the time to request a small feature. Could we have it so the SaveLoad folder will work with other folders inside? It would be nice to group planets together in separate folders.

That's a pretty good idea... But there are quite a lot of items in my to-do list right now, so yes, I'm afraid it will take some time...

I made some configs to integrate 64K (handled by RSS) with OPM; however the latest update - adding the latest .dll from the main branch broke those configs. Now, this is totally user error here, but where exactly would KopernicusTech handle something successfully that the main branch would fail with?

I'm not... so sure right now...:D How were those configs break, by the way?

Edited by Gravitasi

Kopernicus planets would not get injected. The last error from Kopernicus in the log is an outofmemory exception, but as your version runs it fine (and I am running ubuntu with 12 gigs of ram) I doubt it is that simple.

Should have included the log right away, and thank you very much for your help!

How to create normal map and .bin file?

I have only color and height map. Please help!!:rolleyes:

My system (Kopernicus) cfg:

@Kopernicus{
Body
{
name = Mimas
flightGlobalIndex = 20000
Template
{
name = Tylo
}
Properties
{
description = Less than 400 km in diameter, crater-covered Mimas is the smallest and innermost of Saturn's major moons.
radius = 198200
geeASL = 0.064
tidallyLocked = True
rotationPeriod = 81167
initialRotation = 180
timeWarpAltitudeLimits = 0 5000 8000 8000 12000 20000 30000 45000
ScienceValues
{
landedDataValue = 17
splashedDataValue = 17
flyingLowDataValue = 16
flyingHighDataValue = 16
inSpaceLowDataValue = 15
inSpaceHighDataValue = 15
recoveryValue = 12
flyingAltitudeThreshold = 12000
spaceAltitudeThreshold = 25000
}
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Dres
inclination = 1.574
eccentricity = 0.0196
semiMajorAxis = 185539000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 177.459
argumentOfPeriapsis = 332.8639972
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 100.173
epoch = -31542641.784
color = 0.570,0.570,0.570,1.000
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/ExtendedRSS/Mimas_color
normals = Kopernicus/Textures/ExtendedRSS/Mimas_normal
}
}
}
}

My KittopiaSpace cfg:

PlanetMimas{
AdditionalData
{
Stock = False
AddAtmoFx = False
AddOceanFx = False
OceanLoadTextures = False
UnlitOcean = False
ModScaledAtmoShader = False
AddRings = False
AddParticles = False
DisableOrbitRenderer = False
}
PQS
{
PQS
{
minLevel = 2
maxLevel = 8
}
PQSMod_HeightColorMap
{
modEnabled = False
}
PQSCity
{
modEnabled = False
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMap = GameData/Kopernicus/Textures/ExtendedRSS/Mimas_height.png
heightMapDeformity = 9000
heightMapOffset = 0
scaleDeformityByRadius = False
}
PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
vertexColorMap = GameData/Kopernicus/Textures/ExtendedRSS/Mimas_color.png
}
PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight
{
seed = 56899452
deformity = 100
octaves = 8
persistence = 0.5
frequency = 12
}
PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
{
seed = 3339066
deformity = 10
octaves = 3
persistence = 0.5
frequency = 0.8
}
}
}

Edited by Fozar

@Fozar check the export box for the desired planet in the Kittopia gui (ctrl + p) and update scaledspace. That should generate at least the .bin file (i think the normalmap too, not sure though) in the KittopiaSpace subfolders.

Gravitasi, I figured it out, the .bin files were the cause - apparently the newest Kopernicus does not like old ones, for whatever reason.

Edited by Tellion

You should really create the normal map from the height map though, as that will give better results. Exported normals are generally to 'heavy'.

The new Kopernicus creates its own .bin files in the folder Kopernicus/Cache. I've gotten better results with that too, as not all Kittopia bins worked bug free when exported and then reused (my Tekto.bin also affected Jool and Kerbin for some reason).

Is there a way to load ring texturesfom a custom folder?

I know it works to put the texture in the kittopia folder naming it planetname_rings.png

But i would like to make it load from my custom folder (inside gamedata of course)

Wow. That scaledspace resolution update is amazing. 8k planets look just... awesome!

So biomes are working in this version now? Is that true?

WOW.

Luckily, I installed my fourth ram stick today. Linux ftw :D

Edited by Tellion

So has anyone figured out what triggers the sunlight being wrong in map view? It has something to do with pqs, I'm sure, as I'm working on a gas giant. Naturally, a gas giant doesn't need much of a pqs file... sunlight is perfect for it in map view. I've had some other planets I've added have perfect sunlight angling as well, but I haven't really tracked down exactly what setting it has to do with...

So has anyone figured out what triggers the sunlight being wrong in map view? It has something to do with pqs, I'm sure, as I'm working on a gas giant. Naturally, a gas giant doesn't need much of a pqs file... sunlight is perfect for it in map view. I've had some other planets I've added have perfect sunlight angling as well, but I haven't really tracked down exactly what setting it has to do with...

Not sure what causes but if you're unaware, setting the normal map to like 50% opacity will fix the issue.

Not sure what causes but if you're unaware, setting the normal map to like 50% opacity will fix the issue.

Hmm wonder why that would fix it... does this having ill-effects?

Some stuff on the gas giant system I'm working on.... Look's pretty good, but the map is a lot more vibrant than the planet, not sure how to make it more like that in game mode.

Bmum0qk.jpg

OekphOO.jpg