[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

I think you may just not understand how the PQS mods work. I was able to get Erin looking as it should.

Could you show me? I'd list you as a developer...

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm maybe. The texture I use is actually from a Brown Dwarf I found in SE. It looked very nice (more pink, though, in space engine) so a Tycho analogue might be a fun idea. I'll decide all that once I finish the system and get some biomes in...

Edit:

Near the south pole of Ice, the day never gets very bright but this offers a nice view of the first moon and Porp

http://i.imgur.com/G2T0jlI.jpg

A storm approaches:

http://i.imgur.com/YEe7vgS.jpg

Perfect then! That as a Tyche analog would be really cool...

When will you release it?

As i mentioned before, i have a problem with my textures fading.

Here is a video of how it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOcZ-ER9bg

Since my planet has Tylo as the template, it fades into the Tylo texture.

BTW, the .cfg code only lets me use the normal map, not a bump(height) map.How do you do that?

This isn't really a bug, but more of the PQS not being set correctly. The fading you see is the transition from scaledspace to local. Your color map is not being applied to the planet so that's why you see it fade away when you get closer. Look to see if you have a color mod on the planet that's interferring. Click the save button, and paste your planet config here.

Looking very impressive! I wonder, can we get space engines cloud textures into EVE somehow? That would rule (and melt our pcs) but it would mostly rule :D

That's what that storm front is! Cloud textures from space engine work perfectly, especially if combined with the 'detail' textures from EVE

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect then! That as a Tyche analog would be really cool...

When will you release it?

Not sure, I'm moving pretty fast, though. The system has two atmosphere planets now so the rest will be more 'moon'-like. After that I'm going to make a customasteroids belt in the ring and then biomes. Biomes will probably be the most time consuming

Hmm maybe. The texture I use is actually from a Brown Dwarf I found in SE. It looked very nice (more pink, though, in space engine) so a Tycho analogue might be a fun idea. I'll decide all that once I finish the system and get some biomes in...

Edit:

Near the south pole of Ice, the day never gets very bright but this offers a nice view of the first moon and Porp

http://i.imgur.com/G2T0jlI.jpg

A storm approaches:

http://i.imgur.com/YEe7vgS.jpg

That looks awesome. And PLEASE make it a Tyche analog!

That's what that storm front is! Cloud textures from space engine work perfectly, especially if combined with the 'detail' textures from EVE

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure, I'm moving pretty fast, though. The system has two atmosphere planets now so the rest will be more 'moon'-like. After that I'm going to make a customasteroids belt in the ring and then biomes. Biomes will probably be the most time consuming

I have a few ideas for this pack:

1. You should really release lower-res textures for those of us who want other mods installed. 2k and 4k packs would be nice.

2. Less interesting bodies should have lower-res textures by default. For example, in the 4k pack you could have the gas giant and the first 2 moons be 4K, and the rest 2k. This way I could have the best planets still look good, but not have the less exciting ones take up tons of memory. OPM does this.

3. I'd be happy to contribute interesting planets and stuff that I find on SE. If you want another ocean moon I have a beautiful one for example. (I'll give you the coords for them and you export the textures)

4K should be standard. Gets the most people the best looking version. 8K is very resource intensive compared to 4k.

How do you get your maps to look so nice and smooth in 4k?

edit: so this is weird. I'm ready to take the exported textures and height map from kittopia... The planet looks great after updating scaled space. Terrain works fine.... but the height map and color map exported are strange. The color map is just the ocean, no land. The height map is almost all black. Replacing the SE textures with these makes the planet 100% ocean.... any ideas? Why would it be great after updating scaledspace but the same textures exported from that scaled space update are bad?

Edited by Lillz

For starters, you're applying the color map of the old Erin to the new Erin. Erin was never supposed to have a color map applied to it, it uses stock Laythe landclass for it's texture. Just apply the heightmap with deformity of 8000 and a -2000 offset (stock laythe heightmap settings) and then export the new scaledmesh. It should look pretty much like the original PF erin at that point.

edit: so this is weird. I'm ready to take the exported textures and height map from kittopia... The planet looks great after updating scaled space. Terrain works fine.... but the height map and color map exported are strange. The color map is just the ocean, no land. The height map is almost all black. Replacing the SE textures with these makes the planet 100% ocean.... any ideas? Why would it be great after updating scaledspace but the same textures exported from that scaled space update are bad?

Don't replace the height map, and you don't have to replaced the color map.

Hm I'll try that. Btw, what are the coordinates of that moon?

It's HIP 90325 4.5.

Very pretty, marine life.

Also I really hope you can release a beta at least soon. Just the 2 moons and the Tyche analog orbiting out at Flo's apoapsis is good enough for me.

It's HIP 90325 4.5.

Very pretty, marine life.

Also I really hope you can release a beta at least soon. Just the 2 moons and the Tyche analog orbiting out at Flo's apoapsis is good enough for me.

Hm ok I suppose I could try a release tomorrow. I'll check that moon out too. You're suggestion worked great, btw.

Hm ok I suppose I could try a release tomorrow. I'll check that moon out too. You're suggestion worked great, btw.

Do you mean the textures or making it into Tyche?

And please make it a Tyche analog, I'd like to install it without cluttering my Kerbol system even more xD

And please make it a Tyche analog, I'd like to install it without cluttering my Kerbol system even more xD

The textures for my ice-ocean world. Ok, I can do that lol

My gosh, guys! What you all are planning is putting me to shame! ;)

Once you get the hang of it, what you can do is amazing.

Porp, as seen from the surface of Dent. Ice is also visible

FZZcN6j.jpg

Ok so I'll do a beta tomorrow, if I can. It won't have biomes or a customasteroids belt, unless I have some extra time. It'll have the gas giant (Porp), the two moons I have done, Ice and Dent, and the three asteroid moons that reside in the rings that I haven't took screenshots of yet, Felix, Cyrus, and Halved.

once you get the hang of it, what you can do is amazing.

Porp, as seen from the surface of dent. Ice is also visible

http://i.imgur.com/fzzcn6j.jpg

ok so i'll do a beta tomorrow, if i can. It won't have biomes or a customasteroids belt, unless i have some extra time. It'll have the gas giant (porp), the two moons i have done, ice and dent, and the three asteroid moons that reside in the rings that i haven't took screenshots of yet, felix, cyrus, and halved.

oh my lord it's beautiful

Having a problem:

I want to have a game with Kerbin as a moon of Urlum. I have the latest KopernicusTech install, and the latest outerplanets. When I recover after my first launch, and go back to the VAB (or the SPH), the editor has the engine animation firing nonstop, and nothing works except for 'new craft' which works after several pushes (and editor re-loads), and 'save craft'. i can also edit the name - if I save and them open the the saved ship file, it is blank after the first lines that have the vessel name and game version.

If I close KSP and reload, every subsequent launch has me immediately in the center of the Sun, exploding due to heat.

I will post images tomorrow later or tomorrow.

the MM code I used:

@Kopernicus
{
@Body[Urlum]
{
@Properties
{
@radius = 6531000
@mass = 1.79e+25
@geeASL = 2.85556
@ScienceValues
{
@landedDataValue = 30
@splashedDataValue = 1
@flyingLowDataValue = 5
@flyingHighDataValue = 4
@inSpaceLowDataValue = 1.75
@inSpaceHighDataValue = 1.5
@recoveryValue = 1.5
}
}
@Orbit
{
@inclination = 0
@eccentricity = 0
@semiMajorAxis = 013599840256
@longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
@argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
@meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
@epoch = 0
}
}
@Body[Kerbin]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 1
@Orbit
{
%referenceBody = Urlum
%inclination = 0
%eccentricity = 0
%semiMajorAxis = 112000000
%longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
%argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
%meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 3.14
%epoch = 0
}
}
@Body[Mun]
{
@Orbit
{
%referenceBody = Urlum
%inclination = 0
%eccentricity = 0
%semiMajorAxis = 345000000
%argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
%epoch = 0
}
}
@Body[Minmus]
{
@Properties
{
%mass = 2.6457897e+20
%radius = 200000
%geeASL = 0.045
%rotationPeriod = 22500
}
@Orbit
{
%referenceBody = Urlum
%inclination = 0
%eccentricity = 0
%semiMajorAxis = 745000000
%argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
%epoch = 0
}
}
}

Edited by ABZB

So, with a ratio of Jool's Semi-major axis to Jupiter's, Porp's orbit would be 194,338,676,838,090m (194,338,676,838km) in ratio to Tyche (supposed orbit at 2.2 x 10^12km).... Man that's bloody far lol.

edit: Yah, just tested that, causes NaN errors in the game. Would have to be a much lower altitude, I'm guessing.

Edited by Lillz

The color map can be easily downsized from 8K to other resolutions. The normal map however looks best if regenerated at the target resolution, instead of downsizing it from the 8K version (should be easy if you remember the normal settings). The height map can be downsized too, but I'd make 4K the default resolution here and not add any height maps to the low or high res texture packs. A higher or lower res terrain map will result in different terrain, which you really want to keep the same to maintain save game compatibility as you upgrade your mod. 4K is more of enough resolution for terrain.

I don't copy the exported textures made by Kittopia into my mod. Instead I use the exported color map if it has an ocean (like you do) and paste that ocean on top of your mod's color map. This gives you the appearance of an ocean even in map view. The normal map I throw out, as its made with a very rough method that doesn't really look that good. Its more of an example than anything really usable. The height map that is exported can be used however to make a detailed normal map (which has both the height map terrain and the procedural terrain features caused by other PSQMods). It shouldn't be used as a replacement of the height map, as you already have one.

So I went ahead and made a quick fix for Kittopiatech to add a recursive search to the SaveLoad folder after getting tired of the folder being filled with tons of planets from all the mods. Now you can keep your mods planet configs seprated in their own folders.

I submitted the pull request if you want to take a look at the changes. It's literally like 4 lines of code.

Thank you! I'll check it out later. :)

Btw, I just remembered about your question on how scaled spaces were generated. KT use the actual terrain height (measured from center of the body, using GetSurfaceHeight function) as basis for scaled space mesh calculation. Here is the function that does it. It simply adjusts radius of each vertices on the mesh, so they will match up with actual terrain on the same coordinate.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like that there are some questions that already asked several times (and already have an answer). I think I need to put answers for some common question on the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Gravitasi, the upgrade process to KT 0.121 seems to have gone well. The ScaledSpace .bin issues seem to no longer be an issue. Whatever it was that was plaguinging Tekto in 0.1, it's gone now.

Good to know, then! :)