[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Is it possible to send those changes you made to the configs in a PM to me? Or at least point me to which changes I need to make? That would be great :)

Gravitasi, how difficult would it be for you to program a "Delete Ocean" button?

Sorry, these aren't actually config changes. I had to modify the source code and recompile the dll to get it working. As far as a "delete ocean" button, it wouldn't be that hard but you can already get the same results by removing the ocean from the very start. You can do this by using a removeOcean=true in the kopernicus config. That will remove the default ocean from laythe, and then you should be able to use kittopia to add in a new ocean. At least in theory, I haven't actually tried it myself but it should work. The other option is to use a different body altogether from laythe as the template, and then add an ocean to it.

Somebody should make a system called the cooper system and add all the planets from interstellar in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

But not Gargantua Because that's practically impossible

Edited by JID00Gaming

*begins to breathe very heavily with many sudden stutters*

I have an Idea for the waves on Millers (Planet in Interstellar)... I'm not a coder and i don't know how any of this works so don't yell at me...

Maybe you can make the waves... make them move around the planet the same way they make the clouds go around... But add non translucent texture and add a collision mesh...

I have an Idea for the waves on Millers (Planet in Interstellar)... I'm not a coder and i don't know how any of this works so don't yell at me...

Maybe you can make the waves... make them move around the planet the same way they make the clouds go around... But add non translucent texture and add a collision mesh...

I'm no coder either. :P To be honest, I'm really not even sure if that could work, unfortunately. EVE definitely does not do collision meshes, and I'm don't think there are any other cloud mods.

I'm no coder either. :P To be honest, I'm really not even sure if that could work, unfortunately. EVE definitely does not do collision meshes, and I'm don't think there are any other cloud mods.

Yeah not possible with the current EVE, it might with the overhaul but I haven't messed with that. An Interstellar system would be awesome though!

Yeah not possible with the current EVE, it might with the overhaul but I haven't messed with that. An Interstellar system would be awesome though!

Y'know, making the planets wouldn't be too hard: just find some look-alikes in Space Engine and BAM! there we go! Even today I made my best planet yet, mainly because I finally figured out a good way to display oceans in ScaledSpace. Nevertheless, it could be something I can look into someday. Just don't get too excited or anything, guys.

I'm seeing a lot of unrealistic and unfeasible ideas. This is a reason why the author of the original Kittopiatech abandoned the project. People have unrealistic expectations of what is possible.

If you're wondering what kind of planets to make, take a look at the stock bodies. Those are what you should be thinking about and trying to create similar things and even that is going to be difficult as we are severly limited by what we can do with the current tools available. We don't have access to landclasses which is what many bodies use like Kerbin, and we can't use duplicate PQS mods which some bodies have like Mun which uses two vonoicrater mods (which we can't even use one of yet) and Vall which uses two heightmaps.

I just saw the brown dwarf that _Agustus_ made... and it got me thinking:

Loop-hole to the No-Star situation! Instead of having a glowing Star (this idea kinda isn't relistic but who cares!), you have a Proto-Star. This, of coarse, would have the system VVEEEERRRYY far away from Kerbol, with an orbit that would take several generations (not even the Deep Freeze mod could reach it without 2 or 3 deep freeze tanks) to get to, and by the time that you DO get there, you'll have probably invented (read: downloaded a mod) the technology to get there faster, passing the old space craft, and be able to throw a welcome party for them!

Anyway, to the idea. The "proto-star" would really be a giant gas giant (redundent redundecies are redundent), with a ring that would extend for the whole system, with gaps in the ring for the planets (and to allow you to actually see the orbits) Now, all of these "planets" would be small, little balls of dust and rock that if you sneezed on you would obliterate it. There would be (in the system that is in my head) about five planetoids, each with atleast 4 biomes. The one farthest out, as it comes to mind, is a dull, uninteresting grey, with a shape similar to Guilly. One of the bulbs that sticks out is a giant rock (reperesented in the texture) and it will be the "Big Rock" biome, most of it would be made of up the "Dusty Area" biome, an impact crater "Dust Hole", and the poles. The rest would be along those lines, the closer to the "star" the bigger they are, none would have moons (because 1. its easier, and 2. its a protostar, the planets would have billions of satellites orbiting them, and that would use up so much ram it would be like using a single can of paint to paint a mansion, you could do it, it just wouldn't look (read: play) very good (read: at all)

Ok I just tried my idea of removing the ocean from laythe through kopernicus config and adding an ocean back with kittopia. Sad to say it doesn't work. I think it breaks things when you delete an ocean (it does give a warning that things may break in the code comments of kopernicus). Was able to get the ocean to show up, but if you try to land you start getting

[Error]: Scene::raycastClosestShape: The maximum distance must be greater than zero!

Best case is to try to use a non-ocean world as a template and add the ocean through kittopia.

Gravitasi, how difficult would it be for you to program a "Delete Ocean" button?

I'm still not sure... The problem is, as I already said in the OP, I only have experience dealing with atmosphere-less terrestrial planets for now (and since they have no atmosphere, they also have no ocean). I haven't got much time to study other parts of the code yet (ocean, stars, etc).

Even I could get it working, I'm afraid it won't be in the near future. I currently have some important real-life matters to do right now.

I have added some useful link to the OP. For those who is creating, or will create, planets with the plugin, make sure you already read and understand them.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to double post here... It usually merges automatically to the previous post.... Weird...

Edited by Gravitasi

Ok I just tried my idea of removing the ocean from laythe through kopernicus config and adding an ocean back with kittopia. Sad to say it doesn't work. I think it breaks things when you delete an ocean (it does give a warning that things may break in the code comments of kopernicus). Was able to get the ocean to show up, but if you try to land you start getting

[Error]: Scene::raycastClosestShape: The maximum distance must be greater than zero!

Best case is to try to use a non-ocean world as a template and add the ocean through kittopia.

What I managed to do earlier today was create a second ocean, but reduce the radius setting of the original to be 10k lower. That seemed to work quite well as there was no z-fighting. However, I currently can't save the config using the in-game KT interface. For some reason upon reload of the game, the PQS system for that body minus the ocean sphere ceases to function correctly (no terrain displayed, no inputs registering on vessels parked on the surface). When I have time I'll upload the before and after configs if anyone wants to look at them.

To be honest, isn't adding another star at Flo's apoapsis a little close? I mean, I know the KSP universe is smaller than real life, but our closest star, Alpha Centauri, is 4.365 light years away, which is 41295206 gigameters away, and if the KSP universe was 10000 times smaller, it would still be 4129 gigameters away, so that feels a little close in my opinion.

Heck, why don't anyone make an analog for Alpha Centauri when the star bug is fixed?

Tyche was originally hypothesized to be 4 Jupiter masses and be only 3-4 times further out than Pluto.

And I will be making Stella and Lavinia into an Alpha-Centauri-esque binary system.

Tyche was originally hypothesized to be 4 Jupiter masses and be only 3-4 times further out than Pluto.

And I will be making Stella and Lavinia into an Alpha-Centauri-esque binary system.

Ah, okay.

And making Stella and Lavinia into an Alpha-Centauri-like system? Awesome!

One question, will Serious be around Kohman's orbit or i'm far off (Kohman orbits the sun at 2 billion km, around what was once Toliman).

No, it orbits around Flo's orbit.

Wait a minute...

Serious, sounds familiar...

AH, Sirius!

No, the name is from a PFCE pack.

I notice that a lot of the modpacks have a Kittopia sized 85 kB, and others have 87. Which one is the more recent? (I'd like to have better identification, but that is the only obvious (external) difference...)