[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

I'v been taking a look through the source code of Kittopia and I see why landclasses aren't working, and possibly why Volonoi craters don't work. I figured it would be a pretty simple fix but after a few hours of editing code it's still not loading correctly although I blame my lack of experience and knowledge of how the config node system works.

Hopefully I can get it working and it will open up more planet creation avenues since you won't even need a color map.

I get no planet loading when I:

Create a star, even if it's based off Jool

Create a star

Edit flightglobals

Make a typo

DO ANYTHING WRONG

And the worst part is that Kopernicus doesn't even say why it didn't load.

It is frustrating but Grav says he plans on adding an error tracking, though it might not be the godsend some people want (error strings can sometimes be gibberish.) I don't get my biome bug, as I'm almost certain I set it up just like OPM does...

Is the biome map in DDS format? For some reason biome maps can only be in PNG.

It is in PNG. The only thing I can think of is that the borders of the different biomes blend together, so those few pixels are not any color listed in the biome config....

Is it smart of me to set Kerbomeda 1 real light year away from Kerbol? (doing it now)

KSP totally wont crash.

I would do 1/10scale... so closest star to earth is 4.243ly away so in KSP it'd be about (4.243/10)ly away. KSP would crash though and it'd be too hard to get there, but it definitely should be very far....

I can't believe that it fricking worked

VDZKmen.png

Time to put it further away, I'm gonna test the limits!

- - - Updated - - -

Gonna put it 1000 light years from Kerbol, that can't work.

- - - Updated - - -

1000 light years worked, setting to 2 538 000 light years, which is the real distance from Earth to the Andromeda galaxy.

This time it must crash.

I can't believe that it fricking worked

http://i.imgur.com/VDZKmen.png

Time to put it further away, I'm gonna test the limits!

- - - Updated - - -

Gonna put it 1000 light years from Kerbol, that can't work.

- - - Updated - - -

1000 light years worked, setting to 2 538 000 light years, which is the real distance from Earth to the Andromeda galaxy.

This time it must crash.

Make sure you can actually orbit the body... the game will load with something that far away, it crashes once you try to orbit it with a ship, at least for me

Make sure you can actually orbit the body... the game will load with something that far away, it crashes once you try to orbit it with a ship, at least for me

It worked, IT WORKED!

Its 2 538 000 LIGHT YEARS away from kerbol, I used hyperedit to get there and everything is just fine!

When I had focused view on Kerbomeda, it didn't have an orbit line anymore... weird.

Is the biome map in DDS format? For some reason biome maps can only be in PNG.

Here is the biome map, if you want to take a look :P

https://mega.co.nz/#!CRUljbjC!0_emzWTLezm0ExHL6zS2aJvBUHynnypdLP9PFDFF26s

- - - Updated - - -

It worked, IT WORKED!

Its 2 538 000 LIGHT YEARS away from kerbol, I used hyperedit to get there and everything is just fine!

When I had focused view on Kerbomeda, it didn't have an orbit line anymore... weird.

Nice!

Oh my God, look what happened after I went back to the space center... I destroyed Kerbin by going to Kerbomeda! :o

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think I'm setting it back to its old distance from Kerbol, couldn't have had it at 2 538 000 light years anyway, or 1 light year for that matter. Would take far too long to get there, even with warp drives.

I was going to say, setting the distant to be some absurd number like that will lead to bad things due to floating point number errors. The game isn't meant for that sort of distance, and frankly it doesn't add much to gameplay making distances as large as that.

It is in PNG. The only thing I can think of is that the borders of the different biomes blend together, so those few pixels are not any color listed in the biome config....

That might be it, as I see no other issues with the cfg or the png.

Well, I figured out the biome issue. It lies somewhere inside Kopernicus. Biomemap files have to be inside the Kopernicus folder (I put the map in the textures folder of OPM) and it worked....

Edited by Lillz

I was going to say, setting the distant to be some absurd number like that will lead to bad things due to floating point number errors. The game isn't meant for that sort of distance, and frankly it doesn't add much to gameplay making distances as large as that.

Yeah, I know. Wasn't going to plan having anything at that distance, I just wanted to test the limits.

Edited by SiriusB

Well, I figured out the biome issue. It lies somewhere inside Kopernicus. Biomemap files have to be inside the Kopernicus folder (I put the map in the textures folder of OPM) and it worked....

It doesn't need to be, as I have successfully put them in another folder. But if it fixes it...

It doesn't need to be, as I have successfully put them in another folder. But if it fixes it...

Weird.. I didn't change anything other than its location so I'm not sure what else it could be..

Quick Question for anyone who can help! (I think _Augustus could help to, dispite no coding skills, he's pretty damn good with configs!) I would love to have KSPI Resources at the planets added into the game with Kopernicus Tech. One of the main things to worry about have to think about would be radiation from the gas giants, adding a bit more difficulty to the game as just throwing a probe into the gas giant expertly piloting a remote probe thru the thick atmospheres of the gas giants could result in malfunctions from the radiation (or from another mod that I found, Kerbal Mechanics!) that is near them!

resources can be added to KT planets by using MM patches (sufficient for atmosphere resources) and using resource maps (for mining resources). They can be (sloppily) made by grayscaleing a biome map, or something (darker = less resource), or just have it point to an existing resourcemap (vall's water map is a single pixel of 100% resource).

that said, I made a MM patch for myself to convert the UmbraSpaceIndustries (Karbonite etc.) drills to use MegaJoules, and to add the various KSPI resources to the USI resources. USI allows a Globally-defined resource thing, so any planet that does not have a specific config defaults to having some % chance of having some kind of distribution of that resource.

I need some help, if anyone is willing.

Ive been working on getting Kopernicus to work with RSS so that I can add things like Sedna and Ceres. I can do it, but what happens is that whatever planet I used as a template retextures the others.

For example, if I add Sedna with an Eeloo template, Sedna works, but then Europa (the moon in RSS that uses Eeloo) gets Sedna's texture but not physical or orbital qualities.

SO, my questions...

1) Are there any guides on making a planet with Kopernicus or should I use another pack to figure it out? I assume I am doing something wrong.

2) Has anyone had a similar problem and know the solution?

Thanks!!

Looking at it, the Radiation effect isn't an actual resource, but a feature... so I don't think it would be as easy to add it to planets fortunately... my next best option is making my OWN radiation resource, which I am planning to do in my own mod

I need some help, if anyone is willing.

Ive been working on getting Kopernicus to work with RSS so that I can add things like Sedna and Ceres. I can do it, but what happens is that whatever planet I used as a template retextures the others.

For example, if I add Sedna with an Eeloo template, Sedna works, but then Europa (the moon in RSS that uses Eeloo) gets Sedna's texture but not physical or orbital qualities.

SO, my questions...

1) Are there any guides on making a planet with Kopernicus or should I use another pack to figure it out? I assume I am doing something wrong.

2) Has anyone had a similar problem and know the solution?

Thanks!!

Hi there!

You're probably trying to texture it using RSS. Don't do that!

Use Kopernicus to texture the scaled space and normal map, and KT to texture it's color and height maps.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I just thought about something to explain the orbits of the stars that is WAY more plausible than companions or StarSystems:

You see, up until the 1600s-ish, Copernicus' theory had a slight twist: The stars also orbited the Sun in far-away orbits.

This was perfectly plausible at the time, considering that they knew more distant objects moved more slowly.

Therefore, what if Kerbals never really understood that they orbit a galactic center? That would be a perfect explanation!