[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Okay, something is wrong with either my KSP install, or I'm just a complete moron...

Planets STILL arn't showing up... I can get Trans-Kuptonian to show up... but nothing else...

(KopernicusTech related mods as everything was just fine before I updated)

Kopernicus Tech

Outer Planets Mod

Trans-Kuptonian

TerrestrialPlanetPack

DDSLoader

After removing all said files above, re-installing, even re-downloading KT and OPM, I can only get TK to work...

I'd do a complete full re-isntall of everything, but that would take me forever and I'm not going to go into detail because people complain. As of now I'm just going to wait (like I originally intended on doing, sticking with Kopernicus Core, but then all the planet packs I used updated to KT, and I can't find my download of KC, and _Agustus_ has dropped the "mod")

Okay, something is wrong with either my KSP install, or I'm just a complete moron...

Planets STILL arn't showing up... I can get Trans-Kuptonian to show up... but nothing else...

(KopernicusTech related mods as everything was just fine before I updated)

Kopernicus Tech

Outer Planets Mod

Trans-Kuptonian

TerrestrialPlanetPack

DDSLoader

After removing all said files above, re-installing, even re-downloading KT and OPM, I can only get TK to work...

I'd do a complete full re-isntall of everything, but that would take me forever and I'm not going to go into detail because people complain. As of now I'm just going to wait (like I originally intended on doing, sticking with Kopernicus Core, but then all the planet packs I used updated to KT, and I can't find my download of KC, and _Agustus_ has dropped the "mod")

Install only OPM to see if that works? You're most likely overwriting the system.cfg and that's why OPM doesn't work.

This post is primarily directed at Gravitasi:

As some of you might know, I have a keen interest in getting the OPM mod moon Tekto to use a different colour and texture for its ocean.

The ocean in its current form is templated off Laythe's and thus in KittopiaTech, it is not a "new" ocean. I understand that "new" oceans are handled slightly differently compared to instances where a new ocean is added to a body that doesn't normally have one like Minmus.

My problem:

I have been having trouble even importing new textures using the in-game KittopiaTech window, despite the folder structure set out in the exact same format as the Minmus example that KCreator released. My hope is that if I can import a texture and get that to successfully load on each game start-up, then I can create a few lines in the config as well as a custom ocean texture for a future update to OPM.

xOepPJs.png

I have been communicating with KCreator, and he suggested that all I would need to do is set up a folder structure like the one above, and use the "import ocean for <body>" button and the texture would be loaded. Unfortunately I have had difficulty getting it to function and he unsure of how to help me.

My expertise is more in art/graphics rather than programming so I'm not very good at diagnosing such problems. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how I could make this work properly.

The end goal is getting a black tar coloured/textured ocean on Tekto in place of the one that currently exists.

Also, if there's a way to achieve an ocean like the one I've described through other means, it would be much appreciated if you could share some information on how I could go about doing that.

Thanks

The problem stems from Tekto having a pqs mod named LaytheOcean instead of TektoOcean. The code in kittopiatech is looking for the latter, and so it's not modifying the ocean pqs. I was pondering making some changes to the kittopia code so that maybe I could get oceans working as they should since I'm sure a lot of people would like to use oceans other than just water. The reason why oceans work when you do the "add ocean" button is it adds a new ocean pqs to the planet, and renames it accordingly to the body name.

The problem stems from Tekto having a pqs mod named LaytheOcean instead of TektoOcean. The code in kittopiatech is looking for the latter, and so it's not modifying the ocean pqs. I was pondering making some changes to the kittopia code so that maybe I could get oceans working as they should since I'm sure a lot of people would like to use oceans other than just water. The reason why oceans work when you do the "add ocean" button is it adds a new ocean pqs to the planet, and renames it accordingly to the body name.

Doing some testing then I was able to get a custom ocean texture for an added ocean from the EveOcean template. I wonder if there's a way to have kittopia load the new ocean but at the same time, disable the old one (or hide it). Any ideas?

Edit: When I say I was able to get a custom ocean texture to display, I mean that it loaded but with the default LaytheOcean still in place meaning there's a hell of a lot of z-fighting.

Edited by Eudae55

Doing some testing then I was able to get a custom ocean texture for an added ocean from the EveOcean template. I wonder if there's a way to have kittopia load the new ocean but at the same time, disable the old one (or hide it). Any ideas?

Edit: When I say I was able to get a custom ocean texture to display, I mean that it loaded but with the default LaytheOcean still in place meaning there's a hell of a lot of z-fighting.

Yea I know what you mean, I had the same issue but there's no way to disable the ocean PQS as far as I'm aware. The problem seems to be with Kopernicus in that it doesn't rename the ocean PQS when creating the new planet. I did some tinkering with the code and it seems to work once the PQS gets renamed.

Here's Tekto with it's black oceans.

DewanoZ.png

And here's the same ocean zoomed out. This is a "problem" that I'm not sure the cause or fix for. I think the shader for the ocean is set to look like water still but I'm not too certain. I'm still learning how all the PQS system works.

FmjIjss.png

- - - Updated - - -

I really wish we could just get stars to actually load and not just break Kopernicus. They worked fine with pre-alpha 3 and they've been broken ever since.

Sorry for my rant, but I want Lavinia and Stella.

Ever think that adding stars is just diminishing the overall quality of the pack because they don't look very good or act like actual stars? Try seeing it that way and forget about stars for the foreseeable future.

Edit: I was just thinking, you might actually be able to get the ocean to work by using a body that has no ocean as the template, and using kittopia to add an ocean. Or use the removeOcean=true setting in the kopernicus config.

Edited by Borisbee

Yea I know what you mean, I had the same issue but there's no way to disable the ocean PQS as far as I'm aware. The problem seems to be with Kopernicus in that it doesn't rename the ocean PQS when creating the new planet. I did some tinkering with the code and it seems to work once the PQS gets renamed.

http://i.imgur.com/DewanoZ.png

And here's the same ocean zoomed out. This is a "problem" that I'm not sure the cause or fix for. I think the shader for the ocean is set to look like water still but I'm not too certain. I'm still learning how all the PQS system works.

http://i.imgur.com/FmjIjss.png

- - - Updated - - -

Ever think that adding stars is just diminishing the overall quality of the pack because they don't look very good or act like actual stars? Try seeing it that way and forget about stars for the foreseeable future.

Edit: I was just thinking, you might actually be able to get the ocean to work by using a body that has no ocean as the template, and using kittopia to add an ocean. Or use the removeOcean=true setting in the kopernicus config.

It isn't diminishing the quality at all. They worked pretty well with Kopernicus Core.

Plus I want to make a multiple-star-systems Kopernicus API that basically acts like StarSystems (I'll harvest the code for the lighting and good coronas and stuff).

It isn't diminishing the quality at all. They worked pretty well with Kopernicus Core.

Plus I want to make a multiple-star-systems Kopernicus API that basically acts like StarSystems (I'll harvest the code for the lighting and good coronas and stuff).

If you can, change the sun to a black hole and let all the stars orbit it.

If this isn't possible, then you'll need some code.

Has anyone been having trouble with realfuels in this latest kopernicus release? I am still trying to figure out if I am having a conflict or if there is some weird MM somewhere that I have forgotten about...

Has anyone been having trouble with realfuels in this latest kopernicus release? I am still trying to figure out if I am having a conflict or if there is some weird MM somewhere that I have forgotten about...

I have had very weird mod interactions myself, but I cannot possibly imagine how RealFuels and Kopernicus would mess with each other... Can you reproduce with a clean install + RF + Kopernicus?

http://i.imgur.com/DewanoZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/FmjIjss.png

Is it possible to send those changes you made to the configs in a PM to me? Or at least point me to which changes I need to make? That would be great :)

Gravitasi, how difficult would it be for you to program a "Delete Ocean" button?

I have had very weird mod interactions myself, but I cannot possibly imagine how RealFuels and Kopernicus would mess with each other... Can you reproduce with a clean install + RF + Kopernicus?

I am getting that together - I have a large number of mods installed, and I am redownloading them all to experiment with clean copies to attempt to find the problem. whatever the problem is, it is something with the Real Engine Configs stuff (removing all the MM patches fixes).

I am working on a planet pack that adds Serious, a sub-brown dwarf, right around Flo's apoapsis.

http://imgur.com/a/3342B

To be honest, isn't adding another star at Flo's apoapsis a little close? I mean, I know the KSP universe is smaller than real life, but our closest star, Alpha Centauri, is 4.365 light years away, which is 41295206 gigameters away, and if the KSP universe was 10000 times smaller, it would still be 4129 gigameters away, so that feels a little close in my opinion.

Heck, why don't anyone make an analog for Alpha Centauri when the star bug is fixed?

I am working on a planet pack that adds Serious, a sub-brown dwarf, right around Flo's apoapsis.

http://imgur.com/a/3342B

Got any ideas for a name? I would name it Cooper system... (Interstellar Protagonist)... but that is your choice. Great job on depicting a brown dwarf by the way... i couldn't think of a better way :D