[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

[quote name='Redshift OTF']This is actually a really good bearing and I'm trying something very similar. Thanks for the inspiration Jakalth! Also I wonder if the Mk0 tank inside the now hollow structural fuselage might be something to look at.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a bit tight no? I briefly messed around with some wheels in there, but the small landing gear are a smidge too big. But... if you had the wheels on the structural fuse poking in and supporting that Mk0, that could work. See if I can find some time at the weekend to play with these.

[quote name='FlipNascar']I think it's a bit tight no? I briefly messed around with some wheels in there, but the small landing gear are a smidge too big. But... if you had the wheels on the structural fuse poking in and supporting that Mk0, that could work. See if I can find some time at the weekend to play with these.[/QUOTE]

I think it will work. I'll test it out. For a single ended bearing it's not that useful as I can take any part, attach wheels and use infinite offset to put the wheels wherever I need them. For a double ended bearing it will be very useful. And for a dual double ended bearing, (i.e. for a co-axial rotor design), then it could be very useful indeed.

Finally made my first working stock helicopter since version .25

Still haven't learned how to implement turboprops.

[video=youtube;SRCWTwoo4gM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRCWTwoo4gM[/video] Edited by Jon144

[quote name='Azimech']Nice! And it's a coaxial! Repped!

Turboshaft engines have become incredibly difficult and part hungry sins 1.0.x, and I'm not even sure I can build a new one without overheating in 1.0.5.[/QUOTE]

At least the new mini-jets make for more realistic looking helicopters with thrust coming from the rotors. Not quite as obnoxious looking as before with huge jets suspended from the rotor ends.

hmm has anyone attempted to make one of the hydra copter plane? with these type of axel

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Azimech']Nice! And it's a coaxial! Repped!

Turboshaft engines have become incredibly difficult and part hungry sins 1.0.x, and I'm not even sure I can build a new one without overheating in 1.0.5.[/QUOTE]

have you tried radiators instead of the regular prop you used for turboprop?

Tail rotor coming... soonâ„¢...

Big radiator panels work quite well. The small ones overheat in no time at all, even when just pointing a handful of Junos at it. Tried a couple of variations for the tail, but I need to redo that bearing because it jams too easily... Slapped some Junos on just to see if it works, and what sort of blade angle it needs. Want to use the floating blades trick to get a tail rotor that is linked to throttle.

I did try to do it with a gear and cog system, but the small hardpoints didn't quite work. Need to revisit that. She's currently called the Flopper and is fugly. So fugly.

But I wholeheartedly retract my skepticism about the structural fuselages for bearings...!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/g7SGvjc.jpg[/IMG]

First test flight in 1.0.5

aKv779i.gif

A few seconds later came the first explosion, followed by power and altitude loss. Four seconds later a giant explosion ripped it totally apart.

And I've found a new bug! I call it "Blessed by the Lord of Eternal Kaboom".

http://i.imgur.com/BrVRsMm.gifv

Edited by Azimech

43 minutes ago, Azimech said:

First test flight in 1.0.5

aKv779i.gif

A few seconds later came the first explosion, followed by power and altitude loss. Four seconds later a giant explosion ripped it totally apart.

And I've found a new bug! I call it "Blessed by the Lord of Eternal Kaboom".

http://i.imgur.com/BrVRsMm.gifv

So some progress has been made. I'm happy for you to hear it! I think the repeating explosion bug has been around for a while. I have encountered it myself once or twice..

I think your problem is heat...  *dumb comment ended*

Try moving the engines out further from the turbine blades.  Try moving them by just 1 engine length at first and go from there.  As I had said earlier distance reduces heat.  Otherwise, try adding some form of charge generation to the rotors, that way the radiators are powered.  They might be able to handle the heat better if they are powered.

The large radiator panels seemed to work very well for me in my uglycopter. I haven't got the tail rotor working, but the main rotor is fine and doesn't suffer any cooling, er heating issues. The small radiator panels explode and overheat in no time from even the junos. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to tinker.

Well, side project of mine.  Been at work on another rotor craft drive system.  This time it's the return of the Syncro-copter main rotors.  Or at least a surprisingly stable prototype.  No actual syncro-copter to fly around.  Just a static test bearing set.  Hope you guys find it interesting and educational.

105syncrotors1_zpscibh8kft.jpg

105syncrotors2_zpscdeblppe.jpg

The turbine blades are the radiator panel(edge) and it's got 12 junos blowing on each turbine, with the two turbines synced using small hard point gears.  It runs smoothly once it gets moving and doesn't overheat or get out of sync while running.  I had an issue with the engines overheating the radiator panels, but I simply moved the engines out further and the over heat issue went away.  They run hot, but remain around the same temp seemingly indefinitely.  I left it running for 6 minutes, at full throttle, to make sure.  NOTE: there are no fuel tanks or air intakes on this test rig so it needs to be run with infinite fuel turned on.

Syncropter test rotors.

Part count: 233

engines: 24 Junos

Lift: minimal

Functionality: 85%

Edited by Jakalth

6 hours ago, Jakalth said:

Well, side project of mine.  Been at work on another rotor craft drive system.  This time it's the return of the Syncro-copter main rotors.  Or at least a surprisingly stable prototype.  No actual syncro-copter to fly around.  Just a static test bearing set.  Hope you guys find it interesting and educational.

105syncrotors1_zpscibh8kft.jpg

105syncrotors2_zpscdeblppe.jpg

The turbine blades are the radiator panel(edge) and it's got 12 junos blowing on each turbine, with the two turbines synced using small hard point gears.  It runs smoothly once it gets moving and doesn't overheat or get out of sync while running.  I had an issue with the engines overheating the radiator panels, but I simply moved the engines out further and the over heat issue went away.  They run hot, but remain around the same temp seemingly indefinitely.  I left it running for 6 minutes, at full throttle, to make sure.  NOTE: there are no fuel tanks or air intakes on this test rig so it needs to be run with infinite fuel turned on.

Syncropter test rotors.

Part count: 233

engines: 24 Junos

Lift: minimal

Functionality: 85%

Could you maybe generate more power if instead of powering each bearing, you just powered a single main one that drove those two in sync? I did try it, and it's nice. I think it's a bit heavy. You can probably get away with less parts and reduce the mass.

I'm not sure the Junos are that useful. I can't seem to generate enough power by using them at the rear...

So this iteration has 20 Junos powering the tail rotor... And it doesn't work.XFzjRnU.jpg

Yeah, Junos seem to have a speed problem.  I've done a little testing of the Panther engine on my bearing set and it seems to be able to push the rotors a bit faster then the Junos.  Although both the Juno(x3) and a single Panther still seem to turn the turbine with the same amount of force...

Yes, the rotor bearing set is a bit heavy.  Ok, it's VERY heavy...  I've got a few ideas to try and make it lighter, but I don't know how I'd reduce the part count by more then a few parts, unless I switch to only 3 support rods instead of the current 4.  Getting two bearing sets like that to line up with a gear at the bottom has been bugging me for a while.  I can't seem to find a way to make a bearing cage that is open at both ends...  I'm missing something in making one of those.

Using a single turbine to turn both.  Yeah, I've been thinking about that myself.  If it worked, it would save both on weight and part count.  I might have to give that a try.

One thing I learned: ditch girders and beams for cage construction. They are many times too heavy for what they're worth. I only use beams for axles.

Unless you're making bearings for ship engine propulsion. Then you need all the strength you can get, and weight is no issue.

Edited by Azimech

17 hours ago, Jakalth said:

Yeah, Junos seem to have a speed problem.  I've done a little testing of the Panther engine on my bearing set and it seems to be able to push the rotors a bit faster then the Junos.  Although both the Juno(x3) and a single Panther still seem to turn the turbine with the same amount of force...

Yes, the rotor bearing set is a bit heavy.  Ok, it's VERY heavy...  I've got a few ideas to try and make it lighter, but I don't know how I'd reduce the part count by more then a few parts, unless I switch to only 3 support rods instead of the current 4.  Getting two bearing sets like that to line up with a gear at the bottom has been bugging me for a while.  I can't seem to find a way to make a bearing cage that is open at both ends...  I'm missing something in making one of those.

Using a single turbine to turn both.  Yeah, I've been thinking about that myself.  If it worked, it would save both on weight and part count.  I might have to give that a try.

You can quite often get away without a cage...  Or use the mk2 cargo bays. I've tried with the new structural fuselages - not been succesful but that's mainly because I was trying to use it to house a very long drive shaft...

I've been using the no-offset limits mod and just build a cage out of the wheels. Yeah, it's not as sturdy as your design, but it's reasonably stable. And you can just add more wheels to hold it in place. The main bearing in that ugly thing I posted is very very simple, and weighs next to nothing. Happy to send you my craft files if you want to have a look at another person's perspective.

15 hours ago, Azimech said:

One thing I learned: ditch girders and beams for cage construction. They are many times too heavy for what they're worth. I only use beams for axles.

Unless you're making bearings for ship engine propulsion. Then you need all the strength you can get, and weight is no issue.

Have you had success in getting it to work on a boat, so that there's a propeller providing drive?

I very briefly tinkered with a design yesterday, but once I'd laid the bearing at an angle it didn't work and I didn't have the patience... But I do want to go down this path a little more.

I hit the point the yesterday with that helicopter that I said **** it, next time I build a helicopter I'll just build a co-axial and have done with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.