Modding Community Observations

paladin061

I've come to realize that, what I believe, hold on to your pants here, that the KSP community is stalling in the modding category. I remember early on in .18~.21 when modding was everything to KSP. New mods came out nearly every day, each original and wonderful in its own special way. Today, however, I don't think this is true. After browsing the mods page on the KSP forums, I realized that majority of the newer mods are just updates or remakes of old ones. Almost every mod that I see on the mods page is something thats been out for seemingly ages now, and what new mods there are, aren't all that fascinating. Most of these new mods make the game any more fun, I think. Mostly just some fuel balancing or atmospheric tweaks or graphical improvements, or some little part that will be lost in the hundreds of megabytes of mods that I've installed. I haven't seen a mod that makes me want to want to play the game more since probably the release of B9, and only that because I could remake military aircraft. I'm not blaming the devs at all. I somewhat think that from the generic content that is put out, the community has given the player to choose between which developers to use: the modding community or SQUAD. I know that there are people that want to make KSP as serious and realistic as possible, but I just cant grasp that. It's pretty cool, sure, to fire your rocket into space with super hard aerodynamics and 20x sized Kerbin, but I think it takes the fun out of it. I've been ruined by all the maths and sciences that need to be put in to do anything truly amusing. Personally, I enjoy just tilting and yawing the rocket is just as fun as landing on another body for the first time. Granted, I'm not an adult with the kind of "if its not realistic its nothing" mindset, but I understand their view. With all these mods, it seems like the developers are spending ages trying t make the perfect, next big-hit mod, and not focusing on the creativity and fun mods should have. What do you guys think?

I'm still finding mods to add. It's not that long ago that NavHud became a thing, and the new one that adds Kerbal weight to capsules looks pretty cool. Also, a lot of dev work (albeit most of it seems to be head->wall work at the moment) is being done on making the tech trees more moddable.

And then there's the meta-modding being done with SETI which has me very interested.

As KerBlam said (well, implied), "everything's been done" is a syndrome that any game goes through. This is also why people are complaining that "All Squad does is implement what modders already did." Well, duh. If a modder hasn't at LEAST tried to do it by now, there's a pretty good chance the game doesn't need it.

As KerBlam said (well, implied), "everything's been done" is a syndrome that any game goes through. This is also why people are complaining that "All Squad does is implement what modders already did." Well, duh. If a modder hasn't at LEAST tried to do it by now, there's a pretty good chance the game doesn't need it.

Nah I wasn't implying that at all, believe it or not I had my sarcasm hat off when I typed that. I have been thinking of things that could be realistically added to the game and been drawing blanks. I was asking in earnest to see if maybe OP had some new ideas.

One thing I did come up with though, was Comets.. I'd love to see some Comets. A mission to try and land a probe on a comet would be SO COOL.

"everything's been done" is a syndrome that any game goes through. This is also why people are complaining that "All Squad does is implement what modders already did." Well, duh.
This is literally the dumbest complaint I've ever read on any forums for any game, ever. It's like, if a modder comes up with a good idea and then the devs implement something along those lines, they're doing something bad. It's a stupid argument and anyone making it should feel bad.

If the devs of a game actually look at how players like to mod the game, and react accordingly, that can generally be considered a "Good Thing" (unless you're an idiot). Also, hiring modders to finish up aspects of your game that you may not have the time/energy to complete should never be considered a bad thing; contracting tasks out to competent people can be an excellent "force multiplier". This is not to say Squad doesn't have their faults (lord knows, I've explored the DLLs...), but those arguments are downright stupid.

I'm pretty sure i've seen a mod (of the "Moar planets" variety) with a working comet - with tail etc. Wasn't it NovaSilisko who showed it?

Adding most popular mods to the game is a perfectly viable strategy, and worked very well so far :) SQUAD would have to be stupid not to use such a tool, to see what people want and enjoy.

It's quite possible modders are closing in on to the limits of what is possible in game's engine. Most new mods i see is concentrating on things like adding new planets, contracts, resources etc. I'm not a modder myself, so i have no idea what can be still squeezed out of Unity at this point.

One thing I did come up with though, was Comets.. I'd love to see some Comets. A mission to try and land a probe on a comet would be SO COOL.

Add particle effect on a asteroid. What is so cool about that?

I know I will get some blowback but IMO I really think the problem is free mods. Mod developers aren't making any money and it's time consuming on their part. I'm sure they have day jobs.

Now if they could incorporate a mod store (Curse or Steam) I would pay 1-2 bucks for premium mods and/or mod packages that work perfectly. I pay for premium apps on my phone why wouldn't I here. And no I don't work for EA.

I know I will get some blowback but IMO I really think the problem is free mods. Mod developers aren't making any money and it's time consuming on their part. I'm sure they have day jobs.

Now if they could incorporate a mod store (Curse or Steam) I would pay 1-2 bucks for premium mods and/or mod packages that work perfectly. I pay for premium apps on my phone why wouldn't I here. And no I don't work for EA.

This problem is easily solved by you donating to those modders who's work you use, who have a donation link. And keep in mind that some modders may not actually take donations for various reasons (I never did when I was actively modding, nor did I when I was working on other OSS software).

This problem is easily solved by you donating to those modders who's work you use, who have a donation link. And keep in mind that some modders may not actually take donations for various reasons (I never did when I was actively modding, nor did I when I was working on other OSS software).

Donations don't work because then you have 99% who just take it for free.

When this game goes mainstream its going to be hell on the common public. Between trying to install mods and then to figure out which one(s) broke your game. I see lots of growing pains unless they get more serious about it.

So, forcing it is a solution? What about modders who work for free? How about you be the 1% you want to see?
When this game goes mainstream
Implying that it hasn't already.
its going to be hell on the common public. Between trying to install mods and then to figure out which one(s) broke your game. I see lots of growing pains unless they get more serious about it.
Installing mods for KSP is so easy even a caveman can do it. Literally. And allowing mod authors to charge phone-app-level prices for their product isn't going to somehow magically make installation or compatibility issues go away. E: I used CKAN for my last two KSP install instances and I still have mod compatibility issues, and I still have to manually prune fuel tanks and wings from pretty much every parts mod I install because I use Procedural Parts and Procedural Wings, and CKAN is still wonderful despite this. Money isn't going to change that. Edited by regex

Name one game which allows third party mods to be sold for cash.

Doing that is a legalistic nightmare waiting to happen.

That will only promote users sticking to the same tried and true mods if they download any at all. How does that improve the OP's "issue"? (not that I see any issue raised by the OP. Creativity may be infinite, but inspiration and resources are finite)

So, forcing it is a solution? What about modders who work for free? How about you be the 1% you want to see?

Did I say all mods have to be paid for? no just the premium ones. You implied that would be the only option. Who said forcing? You have a choice. Read the post next time.

- - - Updated - - -

Name one game which allows third party mods to be sold for cash.

Doing that is a legalistic nightmare waiting to happen.

MS Flight Simulator X

When this game goes mainstream its going to be hell on the common public. Between trying to install mods and then to figure out which one(s) broke your game. I see lots of growing pains unless they get more serious about it.

I doubt it. It's not like it's the first moddable game, and most people will probably just burn around in stock for a while, then go back to playing Modern Warfare anyway.

Donations are really the only way to do it anyway, because at the end of the day the end-user gets to decide how much a mod is worth. So RoverGuy, that makes a really top notch product and heaps of them, and provides support and updates, can expect more donations than IdunGood6969 who can barely code and made one dodgy mod before disappearing. Names mentioned are examples only and don't represent anybody in particular ;)

I think modders make mods because it's another layer of gameplay for them, and they get satisfaction from the challenge of creating a mod that works, and then further satisfaction when people use it and enjoy it. I don't think financial incentive is a huge factor for *most* modders, and for those who it is, they're probably going to be sorely disappointed. The guys who do accept donations are probably very grateful for the 1% of people who do donate.

Edited by KerBlam

(Wall of text)

I realized that majority of the newer mods are just updates or remakes of old ones.

Because they are great mods people want to keep using!
what new mods there are, aren't all that fascinating.

I don't think so. For example the new B9 procdural wings mods is really, really great. It makes all other wing parts obsolete. I tried the other pWings mod before and (sorry) didn't like it but B9 pWings blew my mind. Another upcoming great new mod is Kerbal Foundries which adds wheels stuff. And there's the new mod...

I think I made my point clear.

It's pretty cool, sure, to fire your rocket into space with super hard aerodynamics and 20x sized Kerbin, but I think it takes the fun out of it. I've been ruined by all the maths and sciences that need to be put in to do anything truly amusing. Personally, I enjoy just tilting and yawing the rocket is just as fun as landing on another body for the first time.

Then don't install mods which add realism. Install something like this instead. There're plenty mods for all kinds of tastes.

the new one that adds Kerbal weight to capsules looks pretty cool
Thank you! :)

I don't speak for every modder but I wouldn't release a mod if it also means that I have to open up a company. I'm pretty certain that the laws of my country would require me to do that. This comes with a lot of hassle (complicated tax returns, legal stuff, etc.).

Btw in my opinion there are only a few mods I would pay for. For example I wouldn't pay for my mod.

Nobody's going to quit their day job to make mods for KSP - there just wouldn't be enough money in it.

Most mods aren't a full-time job anyways; there's just not that much to do. The few that could be (Realism Overhaul, Interstellar, USI) seem to be doing just fine already.

Paid mods would increase the number of mods, but 99% of them would be low-effort, high-advertising "SUPER-HYPER-ENGINE, ONLY $0.99!!".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.