[0.90] Lazor System v35 (Dec 17)

Romfarer

Add a repulsion lazor.

Lazor System comes with a Tractor Beam subsystem. This lazor will repulse and attract anything it is aimed at. To spawn this system you have to attach Magenta colored (red color crystal + blue color crystal + lazor) lazors on your vessel.

O.k .. I have read through the 33 pages of this thread ...

MY question is ... For example .. I have a Mun base I want to set down, am I able to paint the LZ with a laser and then have it automatically land there?

I have a Mun base I want to set down, am I able to paint the LZ with a laser and then have it automatically land there?

Lazor System does not have a automatic landing system and it will probably not get that feature either. Your best option for that is MechJeb.

However, i have plans to add a Instrument Landing System which will enable graphical overlays and readouts to assist you with the landing. You will then be able to paint the LZ and get a target overlay in-game and on the map. It will most likely also come with readouts that tell you how far you are away from the LZ, the horizontal and vertical speed of your vessel, and information about the elevation of the terrain at and around the LZ.

Right now you can use the Lazor Guided Flight system to make the landing easier. Specifically the RetroGee function which will apply RSAS and also keep your vessel pointing up. The vertical speed readout on the Parameters tab will probably also be usefull. And finally you can use Lazor Vision to get an idea about how far away you are from the ground and the elevation. Just point the lazors downwards and you will see where they are hitting the ground.

I can't get lazors to attach to color crystals, using your method or otherwise, in the SPH. They just behave really goofily and rub all over each other but never actually attach.

Edit: Took some time, but I got it. That was very frustrating. Any way you could make that process any easier?

Edit2: Okay, starting the shakedown on the plane guiding functions and it seems the lazorsystem turns mostly using yaw sometimes. It should be turning using mostly pitch and as such it doesn't perform very well in turns.

Edited by Volt

I can't get lazors to attach to color crystals, using your method or otherwise, in the SPH. They just behave really goofily and rub all over each other but never actually attach.

Edit: Took some time, but I got it. That was very frustrating. Any way you could make that process any easier?

I am aware of this issue. It hasn't been addressed yet because frankly i don't know how to fix the snapping with such small parts. But i will have another go at it once i'm done implementing the new fuel transfer system.

I was thinking more of a lazar guided placement system ... So I could drop off the moon base and fly my ship back rather then landing it ...

I'm not sure if i understand what you mean completely. A ILS would still guide your approach towards the drop zone. And the LGF would keep your vessel steady while doing so. You can also scout landing sites and mark the locations you find with the KPS mapping system. These locations will show up on the map for all your vessels that has a Lazor System installed.

Has anyone mentioned the "infinite" kerbal spawn bug?

happens when you eva a kerbal into a crewtank then use the lazor system to warp them out of the vessel. It will place a physical kerbal with the same name where ever you warp it out to while keeping the same named kerbal in the crew tank.

made 5 of the same named kerbals and stood them next to each other. I am assuming I could have made more.

my craft had a 3 man pod and 4 crew tanks.

Has anyone mentioned the "infinite" kerbal spawn bug?

happens when you eva a kerbal into a crewtank then use the lazor system to warp them out of the vessel. It will place a physical kerbal with the same name where ever you warp it out to while keeping the same named kerbal in the crew tank.

made 5 of the same named kerbals and stood them next to each other. I am assuming I could have made more.

my craft had a 3 man pod and 4 crew tanks.

Which crewtank mod are you reffering to? I didn't design this to be used with anything else than command pods. However if you are able to beam kerbals out of the crew tank it shouldn't be too much hassle to fix. I just need to install the crew tank so i can do some cloning experiments,...err i mean test driven development :P

Hey bro, this plugin is pretty amazing, and I'd like to ask if there's any chance these will make it in the mod / make a request for these:

- Allowing tractor beams to automatically compensate for terrain or surface irregularities, so it's possible to make a hovercraft and/or bring in irregular orbiting objects evenly, and avoid spinning;

- Adding our own landmarks/waypoints/whatever you call them to the map, like KSC2 and your bay. They could be really nice to do to mark points of interest or setting objectives for yourself to get to. If possible make them click-to-add aswell, like MechJeb's land at target dialog.

Keep up the great work!

- Allowing tractor beams to automatically compensate for terrain or surface irregularities, so it's possible to make a hovercraft and/or bring in irregular orbiting objects evenly, and avoid spinning;

I plan to add some more settings to the tractor beams that will alow for the construction of hovercraft among other things. Also a setting that can keep an oject at a certain distance, usefull when you want to grab and lift something. Automatic target locking beams is also coming.

The avoid spinning thing can be done with remote control. Unfortunately that system is currently broken and i don't know when it will be fixed, it may be due to a ksp bug but i will figure it out eventually.

- Adding our own landmarks/waypoints/whatever you call them to the map, like KSC2 and your bay. They could be really nice to do to mark points of interest or setting objectives for yourself to get to. If possible make them click-to-add aswell, like MechJeb's land at target dialog.

This is already completely supported by the KPS mapping system.

with this mod is there any way that I can lock onto a ship, then have the craft that I'm piloting orient itself towards that ship?

The Lazor Guided Flight subsystem for rockets has a Lock Target button. This will direct your rocket towards your target.

Also in other news...

Beta 6 is now out. The first person to post a screenshot of the afterburner "easter egg" gets a cookie :D

Hmm am I doing something wrong or is the afterburner bugged? I see no difference other than much higher fuel consumption and pretty visual effects :)

By the way, great job on this addon! I'm lovin it so far.

If you are not noticing the kick of the afterburner, then you may have configured it "wrong". If anything it is too powerfull atm. I'd suggest trying it out on one of the attached planes to start with, you should get up to, and most likely, over 100% speed increase. If the case is that you are running the system on a vessel with a lot of engines and few yellow lazors the extra thrust will be signifficantly less, as opposed to running a lot of yellow lazors on a vessel with few engines. On an airplane you generally need 2 yellow lazors per engine, and on a rocket you would need 4 per engine, to achieve the best results.

Does this mean that putting more purple lazors will result in a higher force they can apply?

Yes. More lazor = more power. :D

Force for tractor beams is calculated as the sum of all magenta lazors.

Fuel transfer rate is calculated as the sum of all yellow lazors.

Afterburner power is calculated as (sum of all yellow lazors / engine count).

I want to add more of these "the more the marrier" kind of lazor systems but im currenly out of ideas.

I want to say thank you for the mod, it's a great concept and I've been having fun learning functions :D

But I also have a question to clear something up for me after skimming previous pages; could I say, land a craft on the mun that has the lazor system, then use it to remotely bring down and land another craft that was in a low orbit above?

I want to say thank you for the mod, it's a great concept and I've been having fun learning functions :D

But I also have a question to clear something up for me after skimming previous pages; could I say, land a craft on the mun that has the lazor system, then use it to remotely bring down and land another craft that was in a low orbit above?

You will need the remote control system to do this,activated with a blue lead lazor locked on a target vessel. As long as the target vessel is within 97500m, this is possible. However it would be extremely difficult to land the vessel safely because lazor system doesn't come with an automatic landing system and you will have to pull it off mainly by instrument readouts. Unfortunately the remote control system is partially broken at the moment where it for some reason don't work with vessels in orbit. I have requested expert help about it but it may take a long time to get a response.

In other news: I have been working on impoving the tractor beams. Yesterday i got it working :D Here is a picture of my test ufo hovering 20 meter above the ground. As it turns out it is quite tricky to balance these things, and at the moment it is only realistic to set up a vessel with perfectly aligned magenta lazors.

screenshot14gp.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.